We shall not be moved. Play-off away to Barnsley,Fri, 19th May, 20-00

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Re: We shall not be moved. Play-off away to Barnsley,Fri, 19th May, 20-00

Post by Worthy4England » Fri May 19, 2023 11:45 pm

TonyDomingos wrote:
Fri May 19, 2023 11:39 pm
Bertie Wooster wrote:
Fri May 19, 2023 11:19 pm
I think that we are some distance off

We finished 5th.

I agree improvement is needed if we want to go up. For me, that's about consistency: we need to be beating mid to lower table sides regularly and taking more points off promotion rivals. But, I don't think we're far off that. Two or three signings maybe?
Slight aside, in the head to heads for the playoff teams against each other, I think we had most points with 11.

I'd welcome more points from anywhere, but I think we've had a big problem against bottom 8. Drew/Lost far too many.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Fri May 19, 2023 11:46 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri May 19, 2023 11:32 pm
Ah ok. But I’d say City are the antithesis of 80’s and 90’s 1-0 Italian football as they commit so much forwards and expand the pitch rather than narrow it. They score so many goals for that reason unlike your AC Milan’s etc of that vintage where it was a 1-0 often. I get the temp thing at times. They are happy to slow it down and speed it up and aren’t just lumping it into the box.

The thing for me with us is we are boring in the main cos we lack outlets. People who can get us up the pitch reliably. Fossey made us so much more dynamic and direct for a period, Bradley whilst all round a super talent didn’t have the same effect….
Evatt has made a clear effort to make us "harder to beat" and more solid. That's worked. We've got an amazing defensive record from being a bit more boring - controlling the ball, having more structure, etc.

What we've sacrificed to achieve that is the chaos that was where a lot of our creativity came from. We need to add creativity back, without as much chaos.

The more quality we add the more risks we can take with the ball and the more we'll create.

We do need outlets. Hopefully we get them.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Fri May 19, 2023 11:48 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri May 19, 2023 11:17 pm
Harry Genshaw wrote:
Fri May 19, 2023 11:15 pm
officer_dibble wrote:
Fri May 19, 2023 11:09 pm
Nlundulu is shite and I’ll be annoyed if we waste money signing him
There's a player there and we've not particularly helped him but I'd be shocked if we signed him this summer. Let someone else take the risk or see if he can develop after another season on loan or in Southamptons reserves.

Tbh I'd not lose sleep if we let all those out of contract go. There are ample Bosmans about just as good or better.
On the evidence I’ve seen thus far we aren’t signing better than Dad Bod…
If they can stay fit they'll offer more. I love JDB but his injury record for me, means I'd be offering him much reduced terms if I was offering anything.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri May 19, 2023 11:49 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Fri May 19, 2023 11:46 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri May 19, 2023 11:32 pm
Ah ok. But I’d say City are the antithesis of 80’s and 90’s 1-0 Italian football as they commit so much forwards and expand the pitch rather than narrow it. They score so many goals for that reason unlike your AC Milan’s etc of that vintage where it was a 1-0 often. I get the temp thing at times. They are happy to slow it down and speed it up and aren’t just lumping it into the box.

The thing for me with us is we are boring in the main cos we lack outlets. People who can get us up the pitch reliably. Fossey made us so much more dynamic and direct for a period, Bradley whilst all round a super talent didn’t have the same effect….
Evatt has made a clear effort to make us "harder to beat" and more solid. That's worked. We've got an amazing defensive record from being a bit more boring - controlling the ball, having more structure, etc.

What we've sacrificed to achieve that is the chaos that was where a lot of our creativity came from. We need to add creativity back, without as much chaos.

The more quality we add the more risks we can take with the ball and the more we'll create.

We do need outlets. Hopefully we get them.
Absolutely agree with that.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri May 19, 2023 11:49 pm

The_Gun wrote:
Fri May 19, 2023 11:41 pm
I think we can get promoted next season, but I’m not confident.

We need perhaps seven new players, and probably need the majority of them to be of Championship level ability. That’s a tall order.
I'd be stunned if we signed 7 Champo ability players for next season (but not unhappy :-) )

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Fri May 19, 2023 11:54 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Fri May 19, 2023 11:49 pm
I'd be stunned if we signed 7 Champo ability players for next season (but not unhappy :-) )
We'll see what the retained list brings. As things stand we need 10 new players this summer (assuming John and Sadlier remain surplus).

If we don't offer some of those on expiring contracts new terms then we'll have a busy old summer.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Fri May 19, 2023 11:55 pm

We finished last season on a high, albeit with no chance of playoffs. These season we stumbled into the playoffs and got dicked by an average side. Just doesn't feel like genuine progress. I see no improvement next season. I also think I like being a football fan less and less every year. Also I have nothing positive to say so should just feck off!

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sat May 20, 2023 12:16 am

Big season for Evatt next year - he needs to be brutal with some of the squad. We’ll see - tonight’s not the night to analyse.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat May 20, 2023 12:22 am

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Fri May 19, 2023 11:54 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
We'll see what the retained list brings. As things stand we need 10 new players this summer (assuming John and Sadlier remain surplus).

If we don't offer some of those on expiring contracts new terms then we'll have a busy old summer.
Yeah mate, I'm expecting a fair volume of movement, just doubt we'll end up with 7 champo players in the here and now. Feels more like maybe two or three with a mix of loans and couple of years time "projects."

I'm conscious last summer there was plenty of comments around us priced out of the market etc.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat May 20, 2023 12:27 am

Worthy4England wrote:
Sat May 20, 2023 12:22 am
Yeah mate, I'm expecting a fair volume of movement, just doubt we'll end up with 7 champo players in the here and now. Feels more like maybe two or three with a mix of loans and couple of years time "projects."

I'm conscious last summer there was plenty of comments around us priced out of the market etc.
Yeah, it's always tricky.

If we get two or three players in with genuine Championship quality I'll be happy.

We're losing two of our better players in Traf and Bradley, but any other important players we lose will be for money. At this level that's not a bad situation.

This Wanderers Bond thing should mean the playing budget remains viable, as the "other" costs will be paid for via that supporter loan facility.

No doubt we will miss some key targets. No doubt Evatt will claim he got all his key targets. It'll be fun.

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Sat May 20, 2023 12:49 am

LeverEnd wrote:
Fri May 19, 2023 11:55 pm
We finished last season on a high, albeit with no chance of playoffs. These season we stumbled into the playoffs and got dicked by an average side. Just doesn't feel like genuine progress. I see no improvement next season. I also think I like being a football fan less and less every year. Also I have nothing positive to say so should just feck off!

LE, my old son, steady on there. We've all had a bit of a wobble at some point. Let me assure you - as an ever so slightly more experienced gentleman - it's just a minor mid-life crisis.

We've gone from relegation to 3rd in D2 to 10th in D1 to 5th. That, surely, is genuine progress? And what about winning the EFL Trophy? That was probably the greatest day in the last 15 years, non?

So, I guess what I'm saying is: get a grip, look at the positives and believe. In Evatt we trust.
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat May 20, 2023 1:01 am

TonyDomingos wrote:
Sat May 20, 2023 12:49 am
look at the positives
Positives would include having one of the division's best defences and a 20+ goals a season striker on the books.

You're unlikely to have a terrible season with that combination.

OrtonCakeBingoBongo
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by OrtonCakeBingoBongo » Sat May 20, 2023 1:22 am

I'm sorry Wanderers did not make it tonight. As others have mentioned it's been far from a wasted season. A Wembley 4 - 0 win over a team that won the league (not everyone makes it to the national stadium and wins a trophy in a season) and involvement in the play-off nasties right at the end of it. Yes you're disappointed but take a moment to realise Bolton have had a season many other clubs in League One at least can only envy or wish they were a part of.

I'll miss the Town / Trotters games next season but still keep an eye out to see what you get up to. Robbers and looters in South Yorkshire could have a field day when Barnsley and SWFC go to Wembley to contest the Final game. Being impartial I hope Owls win the game and join us in the Championship. Just think they deserve the promotion more over the course of the season, not to mention that amazing come back to beat Peterborough the other evening. Who would have thought it.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat May 20, 2023 1:43 am

Good luck to you folks next season Orton. Deserved to go up.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Sat May 20, 2023 7:46 am

Worthy4England wrote:
Sat May 20, 2023 12:22 am
GhostoftheBok wrote:
Fri May 19, 2023 11:54 pm
Worthy4England wrote:

What I meant is that a decent percentage of our summer signings/loans realistically need to be capable of playing the level up if we’re aiming for automatic promotion. I don’t think that’s an unreasonable suggestion.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat May 20, 2023 8:42 am

Cold light of day watching the post match stuff and it’s pretty clear that Evatt and the players didn’t really believe we were going to do it. Which is fine. I think realistically we finished 5th a ways behind the top 3 and only really closed the gap on Barnsley because they started rotating and resting players for final few.

Rewatched the game and brutal assessment of the season:

Back three are fine. I think they’d be fine a level up. Iredale in there too. Jones was missed because none of Santos, Toal or Johnston really can do that driving role he offers. But he comes back in and we have options there.

Wing backs - I’m worried about. Williams isn’t the answer he cannot cross a ball. He has improved but we need better in this system and obviously Bradley is off. So for me a new wing back either side with real attacking quality is needed.

Midfield - is not good enough. Morley was awful the last few games and I think the problem is he’s not one thing or another. Can’t quite control a game on or off the ball. Dempsey doesn’t have a clear role that suits him. Thomason - let’s be brutal just isn’t good enough for a side chasing promotion next year. We missed Lee massively. Sheehan I think it’s time to let go because again we need improvements in there and he’s tidy but too limited in what he offers.

Up front we are stuck with Adeboyejo the fridge who as someone put it has the worst first touch they’ve ever seen. Charles hopefully stays. I’d keep JDB but then we need at least one more striker and I think we either need a genuine target or a Dapo like striker who has some magic. Last night so much broke down with Nlundulu especially early on. And when we had the big lads up front they don’t win anything.

The biggest thing is getting the wing backs and midfield right. Find someone to partner Charles more consistently and who can make the ball stick in areas of the pitch we currently do not.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat May 20, 2023 9:36 am

Insane and I largely agree.

On "the fridge", he's got better goal contributions per minute than Dapo did this season and he's on a par with Dad Bod.

We signed Williams and Shola to give him the kinds of chances we need, but various issues scuppered them forming relationships.

We bought a gun, but the ammo didn't show up and we've resorted to beating teams to death with it. Despite that, he's scored and made some goals.

When you have a striker who is brand new to a club, is getting no service and is learning an entirely new system and he's still making things happen in front of goal...that's probably not a bad striker.

Sort the wing backs and midfielders out and Vik will put up numbers.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat May 20, 2023 9:44 am

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sat May 20, 2023 9:36 am
Insane and I largely agree.

On "the fridge", he's got better goal contributions per minute than Dapo did this season and he's on a par with Dad Bod.

We signed Williams and Shola to give him the kinds of chances we need, but various issues scuppered them forming relationships.

We bought a gun, but the ammo didn't show up and we've resorted to beating teams to death with it. Despite that, he's scored and made some goals.

When you have a striker who is brand new to a club, is getting no service and is learning an entirely new system and he's still making things happen in front of goal...that's probably not a bad striker.

Sort the wing backs and midfielders out and Vik will put up numbers.
He’s stuck here. But we can’t just ignore his touch is abysmal. It’s fine saying he’s the ‘gun’ but then so is Charles and we need a proper foil for him rather than a player who obviously needs direct service but is useless in build up play.

Evatt obviously wants someone to do more of an all round job off Charles and that’s not Vic. However you cut it he’s a very poor footballer. And he might be a gun but this is the only season he’s ever even been that!
Last edited by BWFC_Insane on Sat May 20, 2023 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat May 20, 2023 9:56 am

Worthy4England wrote:
Sat May 20, 2023 1:43 am
Good luck to you folks next season Orton. Deserved to go up.
^^THIS.......
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

dave the minion
Reliable
Reliable

Post by dave the minion » Sat May 20, 2023 10:11 am

The_Gun wrote:
Fri May 19, 2023 11:41 pm
I think we can get promoted next season, but I’m not confident.

We need perhaps seven new players, and probably need the majority of them to be of Championship level ability. That’s a tall order.
Why do we think we have the right to get 7 players in who are of the quality of the league above us? Our recent transfer history has been pretty damn good, but this most certainly aint gonna happen !!!