We shall not be moved. Play-off away to Barnsley,Fri, 19th May, 20-00

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Re: We shall not be moved. Play-off away to Barnsley,Fri, 19th May, 20-00

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun May 21, 2023 12:45 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sun May 21, 2023 12:23 pm
The Forest example is a good one, in terms of the club being sellable to newcomers. When a lot of people in the media were kids Forest were winning stuff, so they are still a huge club (or a "sleeping giant") when they get written about.

However, the name Nottingham Forest didn't sway players as much because when the PLAYERS were kids Forest weren't doing much, so the name meant less to them. What got players to Forest was money from a new owner.

We were in the Prem and getting lots of press when a lot of currently players were kids, so we are still attractive above and beyond clubs with similar budgets at this level. If we're still in League One or Two ten years from now with a rusty stadium that won't be the case.
This is interesting, and might be at the kernel, colonel.

When we dipped into the Fourth we all needed a boost and we all enjoyed hearing every signing saying we were a "massive" club. Many also said they watched us, during their fledgling school/academy careers, in the Premier League. I'd say that decade in the sun has far far more to do with our current "size" perception than three FA Cups in the 1920s. But as Ghost's last sentence says, it fades over time. When we got relegated from the Prem, Shola Shoretire has just turned eight. He probably regards Leicester and Fulham, who've been top-flight for more than half his life, as bigger clubs.

Which takes me back to where I started, if unclearly: It's about what you grow up with.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun May 21, 2023 12:55 pm

I doubt, when the staff are trying to "sell the dream," they go back to the White Horse Cup final or even John McGinley. So yeah, agree, mate. But I agree with Ghost and others on the "all else being equal" I'd still hope we'd be a bigger draw and I think we are.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sun May 21, 2023 1:08 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Sun May 21, 2023 12:45 pm
Which takes me back to where I started, if unclearly: It's about what you grow up with.
Yes and no. Players often want to be able to show off to their mates and feel like they have status in the game, so it absolutely does matter what happened when they were growing up. Nobody calls their mates to say, "You won't believe it, I'm signing for Rotherham!" They actually do do that for Bolton.

On the other side, heritage also matters. Players and staff like to feel like they are part of a tradition of success and even black and white FA Cup wins matter in that context. Now Forest are back in the Prem their history is going to matter a lot, because they will look more like a team that can win big trophies than, for example, a Brentford - even though that's probably not the case at the moment.

When Megson came in and started removing the historic images because "That's not who you are anymore" the fans had a moan about it, but it was former (and some current) players who were most upset. As one player said years later, "If you've no respect for the club's legends there's no way you respect your current players."

Football is, like it or not, a romantic game. Emotional ties matter and Bolton Wanderers is an evocative name for millions of football fans. That matters.

It also REALLY matters for sponsorship deals. That's not my area, though.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Mon May 29, 2023 5:48 pm

That’s gotta hurt Barnsley!

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon May 29, 2023 9:32 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Mon May 29, 2023 5:48 pm
Oh well.

knobpolisher
Reliable
Reliable

Post by knobpolisher » Tue May 30, 2023 8:51 am

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sun May 21, 2023 1:08 pm
[

It also REALLY matters for sponsorship deals. That's not my area, though.
On the subject of sponsorship I understood we were to announce a major retail shirt sponsor last week.
People haven't got a good word for you, but i have T**T.

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Tue May 30, 2023 10:10 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Mon May 29, 2023 9:32 pm
officer_dibble wrote:
Mon May 29, 2023 5:48 pm
Oh well.
You do have a way with words DSB.

Makes me smile :D