We shall not be moved. Play-off away to Barnsley,Fri, 19th May, 20-00

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Re: We shall not be moved. Play-off away to Barnsley,Fri, 19th May, 20-00

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat May 20, 2023 10:16 am

dave the minion wrote:
Sat May 20, 2023 10:11 am
The_Gun wrote:
Fri May 19, 2023 11:41 pm
I think we can get promoted next season, but I’m not confident.

We need perhaps seven new players, and probably need the majority of them to be of Championship level ability. That’s a tall order.
Why do we think we have the right to get 7 players in who are of the quality of the league above us? Our recent transfer history has been pretty damn good, but this most certainly aint gonna happen !!!
Yeah the gap between us and the top two isn’t 7 championship players.

That’s just unrealistic. Ipswich for me had the highest level squad but I mean they spent fortunes and even they don’t have a team full of championship level yet.

What we need is a team capable of getting out of this division first and foremost. That will always be a mix. When we last went up to the premiership we had some like Ricketts and Nolan who were developing and were going to be able to play at that level. Some like Holdsworth with experience up there but on their way down. And some like Marshall, Hendry, Farrelly who were never going to make big impressions the league above but were important parts of promotion.

The idea that we need a championship ready team is a bit for the birds. We need a team that can go up. And then we will evolve it again.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sat May 20, 2023 10:20 am

(Edit - wrong thread!)

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat May 20, 2023 10:29 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat May 20, 2023 9:44 am
He’s stuck here. But we can’t just ignore his touch is abysmal. It’s fine saying he’s the ‘gun’ but then so I Charles and we need a proper foil for him rather than a player who obviously needs direct service but is useless in build up play.

Evatt obviously wants someone to do more of an all round job off Charles and that’s not Vic. However you cut it he’s a very poor footballer. And he might be a gun but this is the only season he’s ever even been that!
We've not spent 600k on a supporting act for Charles. Charles is already scoring 20+ a season. We've signed Vik to do the stuff in the box Charles can't do. As in the Vale game, Vik scored one and made one whilst he had markers literally hanging off him. That's why we signed him, to offer a goal threat even when the box is congested.

Charles scores in transition, Vik can score make things happen in packed penalty boxes; but that means delivery from wide areas and a reliable option at 10.

The 10 occupying that space behind he strikers does two main things. It allows the strikers to stretch teams and it also makes life easier for the wingbacks. With both strikers forward you isolate the fullbacks, because nobody can step across to help them. That means more one-on-ones for the wide men (or overloads with the centre backs pushing on for us) and more balls into the box for Vik.

You're looking at what Vik is like in a half finished puzzle and saying he doesn't work. That season is done now. It's about what he can do for us next season. Evatt signed a 10 to go with Vik and he added another wide player to try and feed him. So he understands what needs to happen to take our attack up a level.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat May 20, 2023 10:39 am

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sat May 20, 2023 10:29 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
He’s stuck here. But we can’t just ignore his touch is abysmal. It’s fine saying he’s the ‘gun’ but then so I Charles and we need a proper foil for him rather than a player who obviously needs direct service but is useless in build up play.

Evatt obviously wants someone to do more of an all round job off Charles and that’s not Vic. However you cut it he’s a very poor footballer. And he might be a gun but this is the only season he’s ever even been that!
We've not spent 600k on a supporting act for Charles. Charles is already scoring 20+ a season. We've signed Vik to do the stuff in the box Charles can't do. As in the Vale game, Vik scored one and made one whilst he had markers literally hanging off him. That's why we signed him, to offer a goal threat even when the box is congested.

Charles scores in transition, Vik can score make things happen in packed penalty boxes; but that means delivery from wide areas and a reliable option at 10.

The 10 occupying that space behind he strikers does two main things. It allows the strikers to stretch teams and it also makes life easier for the wingbacks. With both strikers forward you isolate the fullbacks, because nobody can step across to help them. That means more one-on-ones for the wide men (or overloads with the centre backs pushing on for us) and more balls into the box for Vik.

You're looking at what Vik is like in a half finished puzzle and saying he doesn't work. That season is done now. It's about what he can do for us next season. Evatt signed a 10 to go with Vik and he added another wide player to try and feed him. So he understands what needs to happen to take our attack up a level.
I’m looking at his career. His stats. And his performances. Evatt might have got it wrong. Sometimes you have to accept that happens.

He’s here so let’s see how he does next season. But we need a better striker adding that is for sure.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sat May 20, 2023 10:50 am

Hell is watching Eoin Toal left alone with the ball forever. The flash of panic in his eyes. His arms starting to flap. Mister Beyn.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat May 20, 2023 10:53 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat May 20, 2023 10:39 am
I’m looking at his career. His stats. And his performances. Evatt might have got it wrong. Sometimes you have to accept that happens.

He’s here so let’s see how he does next season. But we need a better striker adding that is for sure.
Evatt's got things wrong before and will again. I don't think this is one of those times, personally; but we'll see.

We have the core of an excellent League One side. There's a huge amount to do over the summer. Should be good.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat May 20, 2023 10:56 am

Prufrock wrote:
Sat May 20, 2023 10:50 am
Hell is watching Eoin Toal left alone with the ball forever. The flash of panic in his eyes. His arms starting to flap. Mister Beyn.
Yup. Every time he froze on the ball with 4 players making runs in front of him my heart sank a little, but he's young for a CB and will learn.

He has been a fantastic addition overall and proven to be an absolute bargain.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat May 20, 2023 11:11 am

officer_dibble wrote:
Sat May 20, 2023 10:20 am
(Edit - wrong thread!)
It's still merits discussion, Dibs. So. Great edit, I agree entirely with this.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat May 20, 2023 11:35 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat May 20, 2023 10:39 am
GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sat May 20, 2023 10:29 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:

The point was made elsewhere, that his (and other strikers) ability is L1, so there's things we shouldn't expect, and I'm OK with that notion when it's spread equally - so the defending is L1 and our distribution is L1, too.

He's the same age as Dan, and Burton aside isn't prolific. The upside offered so far, seems to be that his tactical running is developing, yet I saw him fall over twice in the same game with no one in 5 yards of him. I mean, seriously, that's poor even for L1.

For me, the upside is, irrespective of his goal returns elsewhere, he didn't dream 13 for Burton, so I guess there is a way that "unlocks" something or other.

The wider problem, is that irrespective of goals per min and the like, the person with the second most goals was Connor on 6. There's little point, in the analysis of a season, saying yeah but x got his twice as fast per minutes on the pitch. They're no bloody use on the physios table, so that's part and parcel.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat May 20, 2023 11:40 am

Without wishing them ill luck, I reckon we'll be playing Barnsley next season.We had our chances for promotion,, mainly earlier in the season, where soft goals conceded and chances missed defined our fate, so nobody to blame but ourselves, but have we learned from our mistakes? The answer, I think, was last night; we aren't consistent enough. Okay, misfortune, bad luck luck and injury all played a part in the season, but Division One is full of Barnsleys and we let them dictate terms last night and paid for it dearly. We have to learn to play tough football. Possession, they say, is nine tenths of the law, but in football, that only applies when the end product justifies the means, and there are exceptions to every rule. Last night was one.

One very relevant problem that really needs addressing, and that's the standard of refereeing in this league. Clubs can live or die on bad decisions.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat May 20, 2023 11:41 am

Yeah - where I’m at is that our back three I doubt there is much better in this league. But midfield and up front I see the top teams have better players than we do. We can all say Toal who looks an all round super player could maybe drive forward better but he’s a 6ft plus strapping centre back. Finding one who combines Jones and Toal to same level of ability is probably unrealistic.

But our goals return hasn’t been good enough.

Whilst we lack supply as an example early doors both Charles and Nlundulu had ‘half chances’. I suspect that watching Ipswich latter half of the season their forwards would have scored one of those and that changes the complexion of the game completely.

It’s a balance. We need to create more but strikers also have to sometimes be able to create those half chances and take them.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat May 20, 2023 11:54 am

It's complex, I think. The goal conversion for Chaplin and Ladapo are both at 25%, one less than Dion. His shot accuracy is between the two. But to Ghosts point, Ipswich opened up back 4's for fun. I have no doubt had Charles had that more often, his stats would have been even better.

When we look at assists, Gethin was top. As a non dead ball taking CB. Bradley second and Sexy, third (as someone who probably did half a season)...that's a problem...

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat May 20, 2023 11:56 am

Worthy4England wrote:
Sat May 20, 2023 11:54 am
It's complex, I think. The goal conversion for Chaplin and Ladapo are both at 25%, one less than Dion. His shot accuracy is between the two. But to Ghosts point, Ipswich opened up back 4's for fun. I have no doubt had Charles had that more often, his stats would have been even better.

When we look at assists, Gethin was top. As a non dead ball taking CB. Bradley second and Sexy, third (as someone who probably did half a season)...that's a problem...
Agree. But there was a stat in Ipswich’s run in and for a while they were basically taking the highest percentage of chances of anyone in the division.

Not criticising Charles it’s more that he needs someone else to take the pressure off him.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat May 20, 2023 12:00 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat May 20, 2023 11:56 am
Worthy4England wrote:
Sat May 20, 2023 11:54 am

Agree. But there was a stat in Ipswich’s run in and for a while they were basically taking the highest percentage of chances of anyone in the division.

Not criticising Charles it’s more that he needs someone else to take the pressure off him.
Oh yeah, fairly sure when you're on that sort of roll, it's all clicking together, there's two of you, the team believes it's going up etc. That strikers stats would improve...little doubt...

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat May 20, 2023 2:28 pm

We tried to build an entire new side to our play in a January window (striker, wingback and 10) and it didn't fall into place. It was ambitious, but worth trying. We now need to finish that job over the summer.

As Evatt said in his post-match, we've not scored enough goals and that's not a strikers issue; it's a whole team issue.

When you look at us this season vs last we've scored 12 fewer goals and conceded 21 fewer. So whilst the changes have had a huge net benefit, we have to improve.

We don't complete enough dribbles, crosses or diagonals. We don't penetrate lines enough with either carries or passes.

It's all fixable, though.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat May 20, 2023 2:59 pm

I'm a little bit concerned, given the glowing school report for Shortire, he might try and get him back...I think whilst he has some decent attributes, he might be another season away from useful on a consistent basis...

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat May 20, 2023 3:19 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Sat May 20, 2023 2:59 pm
I'm a little bit concerned, given the glowing school report for Shortire, he might try and get him back...I think whilst he has some decent attributes, he might be another season away from useful on a consistent basis...
I'd have him back, so long as we also have another option there.

If we got Moxon, Shoretire and another attacking mid I'd be very happy.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat May 20, 2023 3:22 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sat May 20, 2023 3:19 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
Sat May 20, 2023 2:59 pm
I'd have him back, so long as we also have another option there.

If we got Moxon, Shoretire and another attacking mid I'd be very happy.
I think I'd probably want him third pick, rather than second, at the moment.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sat May 20, 2023 3:26 pm

Ffs another little kick in the dick this afternoon.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat May 20, 2023 3:33 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Sat May 20, 2023 3:26 pm
Ffs another little kick in the dick this afternoon.
I'll take it.

Unless you're on about Phillip, leaving Good Morning