We shall not be moved. Play-off away to Barnsley,Fri, 19th May, 20-00

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

We shall not be moved. Play-off away to Barnsley,Fri, 19th May, 20-00

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue May 16, 2023 10:11 am

Time to get play-off heads on and think positive. We can and will win this because we know there's nowhere else to go now. Our season has but two options left, beat Barnsley and head for Wembley, or lose and reflect on what might have been. No excuses except we really gave it our best go and we can't do more than that. Out with the thunder-claps then and up and at-em. A goal , a goal, my kingdom for a goal...(or two or three..)

COME ON YOU WHITES... :Jedi:

ae:) ae:) ae:)
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Re: We shall not be moved. Play-off away to Barnsley,Fri, 19th May, 20-00

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed May 17, 2023 1:58 pm

Sounds like we have two new injuries that have ruled players out but Evatt won’t reveal names. Not great.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Wed May 17, 2023 2:30 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed May 17, 2023 1:58 pm
Sounds like we have two new injuries that have ruled players out but Evatt won’t reveal names. Not great.
This could range from terrible to minorly irritating news. If the two doesn't include Trafford, Bradley or Charles then we'll probably be ok, unless both players play in the same position.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed May 17, 2023 3:03 pm

Either Toal or Johnstone would be very bad too.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed May 17, 2023 3:07 pm

Providing the injuries aren't too critical to team selection, I reckon the onus will be on
the homers rather than us if we play it right. It's all about an early lead by us that will get the home crowd on to their own players backs. If we can manage that, knowing the volatile nature of the Tykes we can make it work for us. As ever, it's also all about not giving silly goals away and making the most of any chances. We can do this. Oh, and a decent ref will help. :oyea:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Wed May 17, 2023 3:27 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Wed May 17, 2023 3:03 pm
Either Toal or Johnstone would be very bad too.
Yeah I was considering putting Johnston into that list, and probably should have done. MJ could probably just about slot in for Toal at RCB, but I wouldn't be confident with him on the left.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu May 18, 2023 11:02 am

It’s been a really good season. My gut tells me this one Friday will just be a step too far and Barnsley are just that little bit too strong especially with our injuries.

I don’t think it’s the end of the world as I think we need to strengthen for next season and find a way to be in the mix for the top two, hopefully with less reliance on temporary loans in key positions making us better placed if we do go up.

I’d absolutely love to be pleasantly surprised though - they are always the best surprises.

jimbo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jimbo » Thu May 18, 2023 11:05 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu May 18, 2023 11:02 am
It’s been a really good season. My gut tells me this one Friday will just be a step too far and Barnsley are just that little bit too strong especially with our injuries.

I don’t think it’s the end of the world as I think we need to strengthen for next season and find a way to be in the mix for the top two, hopefully with less reliance on temporary loans in key positions making us better placed if we do go up.

I’d absolutely love to be pleasantly surprised though - they are always the best surprises.
Yeah that’s the way I’m looking at it. They’re favourites, and a bit stronger than us but we’ve got a chance. We need to win at Barnsley and then beat Peterborough. We’ve done both already this season. It’ll be tough, but it’s not impossible!

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Thu May 18, 2023 11:32 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:

Before we know who is injured it's hard to say how difficult a task we have tomorrow. But regardless, Barnsley would be favourites to advance even if we were fully fit. Our odds have been on the drift all week, to the point where we're now available at 3/1 to win.

I of course hope we win, but my minimum expectation is we put in a good performance and at least keep things close.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Thu May 18, 2023 11:35 am

Stronger in the physical sense, but I think we have enough to beat them, if we match their physicality and have a ref who won't let them manage the tempo of the game with stoppages, fake injuries etc.
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu May 18, 2023 11:47 am

The_Gun wrote:
Thu May 18, 2023 11:32 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:

Before we know who is injured it's hard to say how difficult a task we have tomorrow. But regardless, Barnsley would be favourites to advance even if we were fully fit. Our odds have been on the drift all week, to the point where we're now available at 3/1 to win.

I of course hope we win, but my minimum expectation is we put in a good performance and at least keep things close.
Its a gut feeling rather than any sort of rationalisation. My head is telling me that regardless we can go there and win because - we know we can.

But its just a gut feel that its a step too far.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu May 18, 2023 12:19 pm

For me, it's little different to Plymouth. On our day, we will win, we are not "significant underdogs." Less than our best we probably won't win. Will the real Bolton Wanderers, please step forwards? :-)

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Thu May 18, 2023 12:44 pm

Psychology is always the hardest aspect to call. We were nervous at the weekend and didn't show up for ages. It may be that the fact we did that and still got a draw fills the players with confidence. Or we could feel down about not winning at home. Not being around training we just can't know.

As ever, I just want to see us give it a proper go. If we actually show up we've got a chance. I couldn't get tickets, so I'll be watching on TV and hoping.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Thu May 18, 2023 1:47 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Thu May 18, 2023 12:44 pm
Psychology is always the hardest aspect to call. We were nervous at the weekend and didn't show up for ages. It may be that the fact we did that and still got a draw fills the players with confidence. Or we could feel down about not winning at home. Not being around training we just can't know.

As ever, I just want to see us give it a proper go. If we actually show up we've got a chance. I couldn't get tickets, so I'll be watching on TV and hoping.
There seems to be a consensus of "we won't play that badly again", but I'm not too sure about that

Evatt mentioned it briefly in his presser.. How the moods are different

H said Barnsley's manager was absolutely delighted with his teams performance, whereas he was the opposite - We drew the game. Psychologically, our players must know they have the ability to do it

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu May 18, 2023 2:09 pm

For me the problem is did we play poorly (probably not, we played as much as they let us in the areas they wanted us). Can we play a lot better - yes. Do we need to be a lot braver to do so, absolutely...

irie Cee Bee
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by irie Cee Bee » Thu May 18, 2023 2:23 pm

We did not play as well as we can because tactically they did not let us play with their high press and tempo. It will be even more intense tomorrow. The question is, knowing that, what are we going to do about it. Do we have the weapons in our team to combat it. Do we play Thomason to keep them pressured in midfield?? Do we play Dan from the start for his running and unpredictability?? Can our best midfielder Dempsey double team on the right to keep the pressure off Conor and force them back with his runs (hopefully Connor is not injured as he took some heavy artillery last week).

We got to do something different to get a result. The question is what do we do?? Are we good enough?? in Evatt we trust!

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Thu May 18, 2023 4:00 pm

Barnsley did set up well, but that's not really why we were poor. We were misplacing simple 5 and 10 yard passes even when we broke the press.

A decent press makes those kinds of errors more likely, so well done to them; but the frequency with which we made basic errors was down to what was going on between the ears.

It seems we all believe we *can* beat them. Not long now until we find out whether we'll actually show up. If we don't they are capable of embarrassing us.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Thu May 18, 2023 4:26 pm

BTW, has anyone more in touch with goings on than I am heard anything about these lads who are out injured? I'm assuming he's including Geth as one.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu May 18, 2023 4:34 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Thu May 18, 2023 4:26 pm
BTW, has anyone more in touch with goings on than I am heard anything about these lads who are out injured? I'm assuming he's including Geth as one.
Doesn't seem to be much that's concrete out and about mate, including the possibility that it's a bit of shenanigans...I mean "we have one or two" is pretty cryptic. :-)

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Thu May 18, 2023 4:57 pm

It's Santos, Bradley, Trafford and Dion

He's just not admitting it as he wants the fans to still travel