We shall not be moved. Play-off away to Barnsley,Fri, 19th May, 20-00

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

sonicthewhite
Dedicated
Dedicated

Re: We shall not be moved. Play-off away to Barnsley,Fri, 19th May, 20-00

Post by sonicthewhite » Sat May 20, 2023 3:36 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Sat May 20, 2023 3:26 pm
Ffs another little kick in the dick this afternoon.
Who's dick was it and who was doing the kicking? :conf: 🤔
Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!

And the key to a result is a good :kettle:

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat May 20, 2023 3:42 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Sat May 20, 2023 3:22 pm
I think I'd probably want him third pick, rather than second, at the moment.
I'd be happy to have him in contention. He's clearly got loads of talent, we just need to have another option at attacking midfield with more experience as a first team player.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat May 20, 2023 3:42 pm

sonicthewhite wrote:
Sat May 20, 2023 3:36 pm
Sarce, I assume.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat May 20, 2023 4:03 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sat May 20, 2023 3:42 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
Sat May 20, 2023 3:22 pm
I think I'd probably want him third pick, rather than second, at the moment.
I'd be happy to have him in contention. He's clearly got loads of talent, we just need to have another option at attacking midfield with more experience as a first team player.
Yeah, but in the event the main fella got injured, I'd be a bit concerned, as an option it's fine. As a game in, game out starter, feels like he needs at least a year...

sonicthewhite
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by sonicthewhite » Sat May 20, 2023 4:15 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sat May 20, 2023 3:42 pm
sonicthewhite wrote:
Sat May 20, 2023 3:36 pm
Sarce, I assume.
Ahhhhh I just saw the scores and wondered that.
Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!

And the key to a result is a good :kettle:

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat May 20, 2023 4:21 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Sat May 20, 2023 4:03 pm
Yeah, but in the event the main fella got injured, I'd be a bit concerned, as an option it's fine. As a game in, game out starter, feels like he needs at least a year...
My assumption in Jan was that we had one eye on the summer with the work we were doing.

What I thought we'd do was muddle through and then bring in an experienced 10 (still of a good age) to go along with Shola, if we could get him back. I think we discussed this at the time, but could be wrong.

At that stage I thought we'd probably turn to Jevani Brown, but then he turned out to be a wife-beating scumbag. As much as we've stood by Dempsey I doubt we want to earn the rep of being Suspended Sentence FC.

Shoretire hasn't had the impact Evatt hoped. However, like you, I'm not sure we're done there.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat May 20, 2023 4:47 pm

Yeah, for me, It's not whether he's got talent. He has. It's getting some...dunno the technical term....physicality and nous...not the type where he can steamroller a 6'4 defender, but enough to be able to ride a tackle (not a clatter) or know it's coming and do 'em with a turn...he was found our by most teams after the first couple of games...

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat May 20, 2023 4:52 pm

Moxon's under contract for another year, so he'd cost

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat May 20, 2023 4:55 pm

SWANSEA City expect Ryan Manning, Joel Latibeaudiere and Kyle Naughton to leave the club this summer.

It comes as head coach Russell Martin emerged as the leading contender to become Southampton boss. Martin had been due to meet Swansea's American owners in Washington DC over his own future at the club this week. However, the ex-Scotland international has not travelled across the Atlantic and is in the frame to replace Ruben Selles at St Mary's Stadium.

Swansea confirmed in its retained list that Manning, Latibeaudiere and Naughton are expected to become free agents when their contracts expire next month, although it remains possible that not all three depart. Speaking ahead of Swansea's final day win over West Brom, Martin said of the trio: "I'd love to keep all three, but we're not at that point at the moment... I'll be really sad to lose one of them, let alone all of them."

Republic of Ireland international Manning registered 10 assists and five goals in the 2022-23 Championship campaign. He also won the club's Supporters' Player of the Season award. Naughton has made more than 250 appearances for Swansea since joining from Tottenham in 2015 while Latibeaudiere has been a prominent figure under the current coaching staff.

Michael Obafemi will complete a permanent transfer to Burnley following the conclusion of his loan spell at Turf Moor. Goalkeeper Andreas Sondergaard will also leave the club at the end of the short-term deal he signed when joining in February 2023. Academy products Tivonge Rushesha and Daniel Williams, who have both made senior appearances, are to depart when their contracts expire this summer.
Paul Coutts is being released by BRISTOL ROVERS along with Harry Anderson and Calum Macdonald. Coutts, 34, and Anderson, 26, were key members of Rovers' promotion-winning squad last season.

Midfielders Josh Grant and Grant Ward, whose contracts also finish, are discussing new deals, as are youngsters Ryan Jones and Harvey Greenslade.

jmjhb
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jmjhb » Sat May 20, 2023 4:57 pm

ls Latibeaudiere a realistic signing?

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat May 20, 2023 4:59 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Sat May 20, 2023 4:52 pm
Moxon's under contract for another year, so he'd cost
Yup. How much likely depends on whether they manage to go up.

There will also be competition for him, but statistically he's THE pick of those available for a role we've needed badly for two years.

He solves our need for a ball winner, he runs with the ball from deep, he makes goals from midfield, he can score a few and on top of that his dead ball delivery is amazing.

#1 choice must surely be Moxon. #2 is trying to find a way to clone Moxon. #3 is crying and signing someone else whilst accidentally calling them "Owen" during the negotiations.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat May 20, 2023 5:30 pm

Shoretire. Why would we waste money developing some naive wet behind the ears kid who looks like he’s way out of his depth playing against men? Beyond me. If he was our signing then I see the logic. But a loan of a kid who will if we have any ambition barely feature is a complete waste all round.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat May 20, 2023 5:36 pm

Moxon with another assist in a big game.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat May 20, 2023 5:50 pm

jmjhb wrote:
Sat May 20, 2023 4:57 pm
ls Latibeaudiere a realistic signing?
Not judging by this report from April.
The 23-year-old's contract with the Swans expires in the summer, although he was offered fresh terms earlier in the campaign. Talks between Latibeaudiere's agent, head coach Russell Martin and the club's owners have been ongoing for several months, with Martin last week stating Swansea are in a position to make a sufficient offer for the ex-Man City youth product.

"I just don't think we can get to a financial position that will keep Ryan (Manning) here. With Joel Latibeaudiere we can and we should. We need to," Martin said after the 3-0 win over Norwich City, a game in which Latibeaudiere netted. "It's a source of frustration for me at the moment that we haven't got that done. If I was in charge of it, he would have that." And Latibeaudiere believes his representatives have been fair when it comes to what they are asking for in a new deal.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat May 20, 2023 5:56 pm

I'm now in the position of wanting Sarcevic to win at Wembley so Moxon is more attainable.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat May 20, 2023 7:04 pm

Out of interest, who do people *want* to win the play-offs?

I'd probably rather see Barnsley go up than Wednesday, just because Barnsley seem more stable at this level financially and I half think the Owls would implode. If Barnsley stay down they will probably be stronger next year.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sat May 20, 2023 7:13 pm

Wednesday easily for me. Sure they might implode, but there's a good chance they just go and spend silly money again. Barnsley we're still competing on the same plane. If Weds go you'd think there'd only really be Derby who would be spending miles more than we can afford.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat May 20, 2023 8:34 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sat May 20, 2023 7:04 pm
Out of interest, who do people *want* to win the play-offs?

I'd probably rather see Barnsley go up than Wednesday, just because Barnsley seem more stable at this level financially and I half think the Owls would implode. If Barnsley stay down they will probably be stronger next year.
Sheffield Wednesday for me. I don’t dislike them. I think they are better off out of the division and to be honest after the other night they deserve it.

Barnsley are small time and always will be.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat May 20, 2023 8:55 pm

I asked this question during the game, although understandably people were busy :-)

Purely in terms of Wanderers next season, it feels like it makes sense to get rid of Wednesday - a talent-hoovering Big Name. That said, I'm not sure how they'd react to failing again - you sense the cold dark waters of extreme financial trouble aren't far beneath them, and while I wouldn't want to see a club in danger, there's a chance they'd have to go on an extreme diet if they stay down again.

There's a similar question over Barnsley – I always wonder how relegated clubs react if they don't bounce straight back. They seem much more even-keel though, and you can imagine them being very strong over a second season under Duff – this season they lost three of their first five and only really got going in September. For the record, I think they would struggle in the division above, but that's their business.

I dunno. I wonder whether personally Evatt would rather see the back of Duff, who's now pipped him to a title in Season 1 and killed him in the playoffs in Season 3. But professionally he'll know Wednesday are a more dangerous rival.

As for what I want for me, rather than the club? Wednesday up. Balls to Barnsley. Which is partly an aesthetic thing - sorry, anti-purists, but they f**king irk me – but mainly a sibling rivalry thing. Historically, I see Barnsley and Rotherham as similar sized clubs to us, so I don't want to see them doing better :-)

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat May 20, 2023 9:01 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Sat May 20, 2023 8:55 pm
Historically, I see Barnsley and Rotherham as similar sized clubs to us, so I don't want to see them doing better :-)
Bloody hell, DSB. There's humility and then there's chronic self-esteem issues.

BWFC the same size as Barnsley and Rotherham? It's like Andre the Giant wondering if he's taller than Peter Dinklage.

1 FA Cup between them. Their average attendance added together only just beats ours.