Season 22/23 In Review

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Re: Season 22/23 In Review

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue May 23, 2023 11:38 am

Worthy4England wrote:
Tue May 23, 2023 11:30 am
For me Ghost, there is a difference between "successful and entertaining"

There have been plenty of threads over the season, certainly early doors, mentioning how uninspiring we were to watch...
I agree, but again I'd point back to (I think it was the Sun) media coverage of Arsenal's "doughnut of sadness" and how boring they were under Arteta. Then you get to now when they're playing the same style of football but it's supposedly the most exciting thing ever. I seem to recall people also said Pep's footy was dull when he showed up.

The difference between "I'm bored" and "This is amazing" is often one pass. Having the bollocks to take the opening presented and create something.

This "boring" football creates loads of openings, but the players don't take them. Generally they should be better at that as time goes by, but we also need a couple of new players with the right mentality to try things. However, they need to understand when it's right and when it's not. Try everything and you end up too transitional and concede too many goals.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue May 23, 2023 11:54 am

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Tue May 23, 2023 11:38 am
Worthy4England wrote:

There have been plenty of threads over the season, certainly early doors, mentioning how uninspiring we were to watch...
I agree, but again I'd point back to (I think it was the Sun) media coverage of Arsenal's "doughnut of sadness" and how boring they were under Arteta. Then you get to now when they're playing the same style of football but it's supposedly the most exciting thing ever. I seem to recall people also said Pep's footy was dull when he showed up.

The difference between "I'm bored" and "This is amazing" is often one pass. Having the bollocks to take the opening presented and create something.

This "boring" football creates loads of openings, but the players don't take them. Generally they should be better at that as time goes by, but we also need a couple of new players with the right mentality to try things. However, they need to understand when it's right and when it's not. Try everything and you end up too transitional and concede too many goals.
Winning matters. Style doesn't.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue May 23, 2023 12:00 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue May 23, 2023 11:54 am
Good job we won the first trophy in 30-odd years then. Onwards and upwards.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue May 23, 2023 12:03 pm

If style doesn't matter, there seems to be an awful lot of comments about it.

Clearly style does matter. Clearly there are divisions of opinion over it. Clearly that's fine. And clearly the old matrix still holds true - that winning 'functional' football will be better received than non-winning 'beautiful' football.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue May 23, 2023 12:10 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Tue May 23, 2023 11:38 am
Worthy4England wrote:

Bottom line for me, is people will make up their own minds (whether you agree with them or not - or I for that matter)...The thing that is "supposedly the most exciting thing ever" is not the same thing that was a doughnut of sadness. It has different players in it, doing different things with the ball (not necessarily the possession).

I agree that the difference can be one pass (or hopefully a number of "one passes"). But it's quite an important one, when that pass doesn't happen most of the time, you're left with possession not going anywhere fast, and aimlessly kicking the ball across the 18 yard line against a low block.

Too many times, and I agree with the reasons you've identified, whilst I've been happy with a 1-0 win overall, I haven't come away thinking "what a cracking game that was" - I'm sure I'm not alone.

I actually agree with DSB, that the two are hand in hand, but you're more likely to be forgiving of the "style" when it brings you success...

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue May 23, 2023 12:23 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Tue May 23, 2023 12:10 pm
I actually agree with DSB
Don't sound so amazed :mrgreen:

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue May 23, 2023 12:27 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Tue May 23, 2023 12:23 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
Well, after what will be known in forum terms as "the American Date Scandal" - I was having my doubts! :D

My OCD is still flaring up at YY-MM-DD....That's for wrong 'uns.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue May 23, 2023 12:29 pm

It means documents are automatically sorted by date. It's the future.

And the present. And the past.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue May 23, 2023 12:40 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Tue May 23, 2023 12:29 pm
It means documents are automatically sorted by date. It's the future.

And the present. And the past.
You stick to words...the rest of us will just drop a filter on it, lob a pivot across it and otherwise have it all in the correct format for dropping into a document, where most in the UK will expect DD/MM/YYYY :D

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue May 23, 2023 12:51 pm

En anglais, s'il vous plait!

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue May 23, 2023 12:56 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Tue May 23, 2023 12:51 pm
En anglais, s'il vous plait!
As with all French that translated roughly as, "You win, I give up."

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue May 23, 2023 12:57 pm

Tue May 23, 2023 12:03 pm
If style doesn't matter, there seems to be an awful lot of comments about it.

Clearly style does matter. Clearly there are divisions of opinion over it. Clearly that's fine. And clearly the old matrix still holds true - that winning 'functional' football will be better received than non-winning 'beautiful' football.
Comments about style arise when you aren't winning. If the style you play is winning games I suspect very little is mentioned about it. Till Souness needs an excuse I guess.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue May 23, 2023 12:59 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Tue May 23, 2023 12:00 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue May 23, 2023 11:54 am
Good job we won the first trophy in 30-odd years then. Onwards and upwards.
I didn't say otherwise? The football hasn't been great but we've had a successful season. I'll take that. When we play in a more expansive manner ala Wembley it is very good.

How we play next season is irrelevant. The only thing that matters is we have P against our name at the end. If we don't then the style will be dissected for how its failed to contribute to that P. Which is fair enough.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue May 23, 2023 1:01 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Tue May 23, 2023 12:27 pm
Tue May 23, 2023 12:23 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
Well, after what will be known in forum terms as "the American Date Scandal" - I was having my doubts! :D

My OCD is still flaring up at YY-MM-DD....That's for wrong 'uns.
:mrgreen:
In copy, I'm dd/mm/yy; in filenames, i'm yymmdd for reasons Pru states; on forums, in cases like that, I'll go month first usually cos then it lines up neatly.

I did for a while refer conversationally to America's second-most famous date as 11/9 but people didn't seem to find it funny.
You might also like https://domsson.github.io/freedom-clock/

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue May 23, 2023 1:04 pm

I need a lie down....freedom clock has done for me...

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue May 23, 2023 1:10 pm

Tue May 23, 2023 1:01 pm
I did for a while refer conversationally to America's second-most famous date as 11/9 but people didn't seem to find it funny.
I suppose it's fitting that a joke about terrorism bombed.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue May 23, 2023 1:29 pm

Jet fuel *can* burn jokes.