2023 Retained List

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Re: 2023 Retained List

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue May 23, 2023 3:12 pm

Mar wrote:
Tue May 23, 2023 2:44 pm
Is it not a case of us signing Vic knowing that Charles value has significantly increased providing a possible sale. Vic covers the Charles role in that event and leaves a tidy profit prior to any contract expiry concerns.
I don't think so, but I could be wrong.

Firstly I don't think you make your biggest ever signing on the off chance you sell another player.

Also, they're very different players. It's just that the limitations of the current team mean they are basically both running around a bit and feeding off scraps.

Stick them up front for Ipswich and they'd look very different from one another. Or for Burton, for that matter.

We're not really going to know how well they'll work as a pairing until we have some creativity around them in an Evatt side.

I think Vik's record this season stands at 20 goal contributions in 36 starts across all comps. So he might not be all that crap. I seem to recall all the "awful touch", "no technique", "no awareness" stuff was also aimed at Charles for a good while too. He's done alright.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue May 23, 2023 3:13 pm

The_Gun wrote:
Tue May 23, 2023 3:10 pm
Lads, surely Shoretire and Mbete are not being released by their respective clubs this summer?
I doubt it too, but we get some crazy shit on these transfer threads! :D

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue May 23, 2023 3:15 pm

Let's also not forget that Trafford was bombed out of Accy, and their fans laughed at us for taking him.

Cue Gershwin: "But ho-ho-ho..."

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue May 23, 2023 3:24 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Tue May 23, 2023 3:12 pm
Mar wrote:
Tue May 23, 2023 2:44 pm
Is it not a case of us signing Vic knowing that Charles value has significantly increased providing a possible sale. Vic covers the Charles role in that event and leaves a tidy profit prior to any contract expiry concerns.
I don't think so, but I could be wrong.

Firstly I don't think you make your biggest ever signing on the off chance you sell another player.

Also, they're very different players. It's just that the limitations of the current team mean they are basically both running around a bit and feeding off scraps.

Stick them up front for Ipswich and they'd look very different from one another. Or for Burton, for that matter.

We're not really going to know how well they'll work as a pairing until we have some creativity around them in an Evatt side.

I think Vik's record this season stands at 20 goal contributions in 36 starts across all comps. So he might not be all that crap. I seem to recall all the "awful touch", "no technique", "no awareness" stuff was also aimed at Charles for a good while too. He's done alright.
Ha, the Charles comparison occurred to me the other day too. There were certainly certain posters who were none too struck with him early doors either...
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue May 23, 2023 3:25 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Tue May 23, 2023 3:07 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue May 23, 2023 2:43 pm
Prufrock wrote:
Tue May 23, 2023 2:42 pm
I assumed you meant "releasing to go out on loan".

He signed a long contract and while his loan didn't go that well I'm sure they realised that was a possibility and he'll have learnt a lot anyway.

If he was available we'd be mad not to try to snap him up!

Ditto I'd have Mbete on a free of they let him go but wouldn't particularly want either back in loan.
:hang:
I'd also have Mbete on a free if they let him go...Apart from one pretty high pressure game, he looked pretty solid for a 19 year old. Were he 24, I probably wouldn't bother. We've had some real problems at the back, and most of those have been one off, long(ish) term injuries, but with a fit Jones, Santos, Johnston, Iredale etc. Mbete as a 5th option would be fine. :-)
I worry that we end up doing the whole moneyball 'take maybe's who might be never's but could be always' thing and forget that we are aiming to go up next season.

I get there is a need to sign some younger ones we feel can develop.

But Mbete for me doesn't work because next season we have Johnston and iredale both better than him.

I don't think he's right for us and he could develop over time but I feel he has a long way to go - too long for a team chasing promotion next season IMHO.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue May 23, 2023 3:34 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue May 23, 2023 3:25 pm
I worry that we end up doing the whole moneyball 'take maybe's who might be never's but could be always' thing and forget that we are aiming to go up next season.

But Mbete for me doesn't work because next season we have Johnston and iredale both better than him.

I don't think he's right for us and he could develop over time but I feel he has a long way to go - too long for a team chasing promotion next season IMHO.
We're doing alright for "value" at the back at the moment. We've two young unz and Rico is only 28. Mbete isn't coming here on a free, I'm fairly confident of that; but we're not desperate to add saleable assets to the back three right now. If he came back on loan I'd be fine with it. Though that would cement the LWB competition as being Iredale and Williams, you'd imagine.

I, like you, dream of another Ricardo Gardner.

What I will say is that I'm less convinced Mbete was any kind of long term plan. I think Nlundulu and Shoretire were, but Mbete was an "any port in a storm" signing. I'd be surprised (though not very) to see him return.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue May 23, 2023 3:42 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Tue May 23, 2023 3:34 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:

We're doing alright for "value" at the back at the moment. We've two young unz and Rico is only 28. Mbete isn't coming here on a free, I'm fairly confident of that; but we're not desperate to add saleable assets to the back three right now. If he came back on loan I'd be fine with it. Though that would cement the LWB competition as being Iredale and Williams, you'd imagine.

I, like you, dream of another Ricardo Gardner.

What I will say is that I'm less convinced Mbete was any kind of long term plan. I think Nlundulu and Shoretire were, but Mbete was an "any port in a storm" signing. I'd be surprised (though not very) to see him return.
All fair enough, particular that he seemed to just be an available body, but it's going to be a long summer so...

I think we'll either see Johnstone sign a new contract or go. Outside of the two loanees it was probably between him and Charles for POTS, I think he's a Champo player in a three and I hope he stays. But presumably he and his agent know that too, and we can't afford to be letting him go for nothing.

Iredale I like, and think would be excellent in that LCB position, but I don't think (could be wrong) we have any indication when he'll be back.

And Mbete could essentially be cover for Santos (I wouldn't play him in the middle, but both GJ and JI could play that with Mbete at LCB.

I don't think he's at the level to be making a huge difference to a team winning to win L1, and that should be the standard for any loanees. But on a hypothetical free. 19, good pedigree, all the physical attributes. I'd take him.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue May 23, 2023 3:44 pm

Iredale was in light training and will be back (fingers crossed) fully for pre season. There was an outside chance he'd have been on the bench were we at Wembley - apparently.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue May 23, 2023 3:47 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
I think I could almost unequivocally say, that Evatt won't forget he's trying to get us up next season, without being asked what inside knowledge I have. But that means like January - when he was trying to get us up this season, he will makes the picks he sees fit (as opposed to the ones we might)...

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue May 23, 2023 3:54 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Tue May 23, 2023 3:47 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
I think I could almost unequivocally say, that Evatt won't forget he's trying to get us up next season, without being asked what inside knowledge I have. But that means like January - when he was trying to get us up this season, he will makes the picks he sees fit (as opposed to the ones we might)...
Sure but like any transfer thread we can discuss who we would/wouldn't sign - I know one or two want to hedge their bets so as to never have to criticise but that's not mandatory.

No manager gets it right all the time and after January I'd say there are lessons to learn.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue May 23, 2023 4:21 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue May 23, 2023 3:54 pm
I know one or two want to hedge their bets so as to never have to criticise but that's not mandatory.

No manager gets it right all the time and after January I'd say there are lessons to learn.
We just don't make a lot of out and out errors. Not in the scope of football.

Joel Dixon was obviously one. It was an "I know a guy" call from the start and I still don't trust Evatt on goalkeepers. He's made one great call and two disastrous ones (I feel like I'm forgetting a third crap one). Sadlier has turned out to be an error, but an entirely understandable one.

If Nlundulu and Shoretire return in some form I think Jan will have to be weighed as decent. The real cock-up was the summer. We completely failed to anticipate that the attacking options would be nowhere near enough and that still mystifies me. We tried a January rebuild in a technical aspect of play and you're asking for a lot there. In previous Jans we've been in such a state that high impact was easy just by throwing in lads that were either not crap or could walk.

At least this time Evatt knows his attack isn't where it needs to be. His "my teams always score goals" magical thinking has gone, so hopefully we now add the players necessary to make it happen.

brommers95
Reliable
Reliable

Post by brommers95 » Tue May 23, 2023 4:33 pm

Dixon, Lee, Isgrove & Kachunga released.

MJ Williams - triggered an extension clause after making 35 appearances this season in all competitions
Sheehan - offered new deal
Bodvarsson - offered new deal

No complaints with that.
Last edited by brommers95 on Tue May 23, 2023 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue May 23, 2023 4:34 pm

Sheehan and JDB offered new deals.

MJ Williams appearances trigger new deal automatically.

Good.

Dixon and Lee depart.

Genuinely gutted that Lee is off. Obviously I think its probably the right time. But he's been a superb player for us.

Glad MJ is sticking around as I think he's a very good option and covers CB now too (arguably more than midfield).

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue May 23, 2023 4:39 pm

Reasonable....Sorry to see Sexy go too, know he's getting on, but he must've been a real decent watch a few years back, interesting that they tell us MJ is a one year, but unless I've missed something don't tell us how long Bod and Sheehan are going to be extended for...

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue May 23, 2023 4:41 pm

Now the question is where is there space for significant improvement?

Sheehan and JDB both very good players. Williams a dependable lad. But there's very little scope in midfield or attack now for meaningful change. Especially if Nlundulu is coming back.

Evatt said he firmly believes there's more to come from the group, but surely significant impact signings are needed.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue May 23, 2023 4:41 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Tue May 23, 2023 4:39 pm
Reasonable....Sorry to see Sexy go too, know he's getting on, but he must've been a real decent watch a few years back, interesting that they tell us MJ is a one year, but unless I've missed something don't tell us how long Bod and Sheehan are going to be extended for...
Cos - MJ has a contract - his deal was triggered by appearances. So he is already under contract.

Deals have to be agreed with Sheehan and Dad Bod...

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue May 23, 2023 4:41 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
MJ had a clause in his deal that was triggered.

I asked about that on here, as I recall, and was told the clauses didn't exist. So it's interesting that it did.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue May 23, 2023 4:43 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Tue May 23, 2023 4:41 pm
Now the question is where is there space for significant improvement?

Sheehan and JDB both very good players. Williams a dependable lad. But there's very little scope in midfield or attack now for meaningful change. Especially if Nlundulu is coming back.

Evatt said he firmly believes there's more to come from the group, but surely significant impact signings are needed.
Kachunga, Lee, Isgrove, Shortire maybe - all players to replace....

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue May 23, 2023 4:44 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Tue May 23, 2023 4:41 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
MJ had a clause in his deal that was triggered.

I asked about that on here, as I recall, and was told the clauses didn't exist. So it's interesting that it did.
How would anyone on here know?

knobpolisher
Reliable
Reliable

Post by knobpolisher » Tue May 23, 2023 4:48 pm

Dixon goes I guess we need to sign two keepers.
People haven't got a good word for you, but i have T**T.