Car Parking

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Car Parking

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Jun 08, 2023 7:57 am

Just reading some of the press relating to the Pink concert and complaints from some folks who were still stuck on the car park three hours after the gig...

TBF, last time I went to a gig at OT, it took a couple of hours to break free...but yeah, Pink fans. Welcome to our world...

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Re: Car Parking

Post by Gary the Enfield » Thu Jun 08, 2023 8:24 am

Worthy4England wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2023 7:57 am
Just reading some of the press relating to the Pink concert and complaints from some folks who were still stuck on the car park three hours after the gig...

TBF, last time I went to a gig at OT, it took a couple of hours to break free...but yeah, Pink fans. Welcome to our world...
Also complaints about £20 for parking (St Joseph's on CNR). Good chance for the school to make some revenue I say. Provided it all goes to the school that is.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Thu Jun 08, 2023 9:27 am

Imagine waiting an hour after losing at home to accrington Stanley! I’d take 3 after a gig anytime…

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Jun 08, 2023 10:14 am

Worthy4England wrote:

Kind of get it in that gigs in Manchester have better options to use public transport.

But the moaning is a bit funny. I mean it’s what you expect driving to a gig at an out of town stadium isn’t it?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Jun 08, 2023 11:37 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2023 10:14 am
Worthy4England wrote:

Kind of get it in that gigs in Manchester have better options to use public transport.

But the moaning is a bit funny. I mean it’s what you expect driving to a gig at an out of town stadium isn’t it?
Not necessarily one with a massive car park right next to a motorway.

I mean, it's a reductive comparison but if you take Burnden (or, say, Kenilworth Road) as a classic "old ground" example, you'd think parking and exiting would be horrible – and that the new-world town-edge stadiums would be easier to drive away from.

But then, our infrastructure is struggling with whether and how to adapt from the 20th-century paradigm of private transport to something more flexible.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Jun 08, 2023 11:44 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2023 11:37 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:

I mean, it's a reductive comparison but if you take Burnden (or, say, Kenilworth Road) as a classic "old ground" example, you'd think parking and exiting would be horrible – and that the new-world town-edge stadiums would be easier to drive away from.

But then, our infrastructure is struggling with whether and how to adapt from the 20th-century paradigm of private transport to something more flexible.
Yeah true.

You could easily solve getting away by closing off the route round past the middlebrook and off the roundabout and leaving lights (on car park exit) on green .

Especially for the end of a gig. The lights are the issue.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Jun 08, 2023 11:47 am

At twenty pound a car it must have been quite a lucrative exercise. From the Pink, well into the black. :oyea:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Jun 08, 2023 1:26 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2023 11:44 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:

Yeah true.

You could easily solve getting away by closing off the route round past the middlebrook and off the roundabout and leaving lights (on car park exit) on green .

I think I read they also had the communal stagecoaches running too...So as ever, they probably held the cars back to let them out first...

Other thing seems to be people reporting not much service by way of trains....

The roundabout thing - I usually find, once I've got to De Havilland Way, that's not usually a long trip to the MW. It's getting off the Car Park that's the problem. They need to create more egresses off the Car Park and inconvenience all the slack asses parking on Tesco's and paying nowt... :-)

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Jun 08, 2023 2:01 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2023 1:26 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2023 11:44 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:

Yeah true.

I think I read they also had the communal stagecoaches running too...So as ever, they probably held the cars back to let them out first...

Other thing seems to be people reporting not much service by way of trains....

The roundabout thing - I usually find, once I've got to De Havilland Way, that's not usually a long trip to the MW. It's getting off the Car Park that's the problem. They need to create more egresses off the Car Park and inconvenience all the slack asses parking on Tesco's and paying nowt... :-)

Yeah it’s the three way traffic lights at the car park entrance that are problematic. If you had those on green all the time and blocked off the other directions you’d get out far quicker. The roundabout isn’t too bad. But of course as you say they need more egresses and especially out of the south stand car park. If you could split that from the rest of the traffic you’d be far better off.