Can we be Imp-erious this season? Lincoln, H, 05/08

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

truewhite15
Passionate
Passionate

Re: Can we be Imp-erious this season? Lincoln, H, 05/08

Post by truewhite15 » Sun Aug 06, 2023 3:48 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Sun Aug 06, 2023 3:39 pm
GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sun Aug 06, 2023 2:42 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sun Aug 06, 2023 9:44 am
In pre match Marc Iles said he believes Evatt wants a new MJ destroyer type and a RWB.
Those are the gaps in the squad. An improved MJ who has the mobility to play CB and an alternative to Kane Wilson.

That would allow us to let John and Sadlier go, if that's what we want to do and we have takers.
One win, and already getting ahead of ourselves? let's not sack the lads who helped get it. There'll always be takers for quality.
They weren't in the matchday squad, Tango. They had nothing to do with yesterday's win. And frankly, if they were "quality", they would have had takers by now. There's a reason one has spent the majority of the last 12 months kicking his heels in the reserves, and the other spent his time on the bench or out on loan. There's also a reason said loan club hasn't sought out a permanent transfer.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Aug 06, 2023 3:51 pm

truewhite15 wrote:
Sun Aug 06, 2023 3:48 pm
And frankly, if they were "quality", they would have had takers by now. There's a reason one has spent the majority of the last 12 months kicking his heels in the reserves, and the other spent his time on the bench or out on loan. There's also a reason said loan club hasn't sought out a permanent transfer.
They're both good players, but they don't work hard enough for Evatt off the ball.

We might miss their creativity on occasion, but if their lack of diligence wrecks the system in which all their team-mates work so hard, I can see why the manager would rather not select them.

I am genuinely a bit surprised that Orient, having been promoted, haven't completed Sadlier's signing. Could be lots of reasons - maybe he doesn't fancy it, for reasons either geographical or sporting; maybe we want someone to stump up a bigger slice of his wages; maybe Orient figure they'll need more solidity in the higher tier (they've lost their clean sheet-hoovering goalkeeper to Burnley). Perhaps they'll come back in later in the window.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Sun Aug 06, 2023 4:11 pm

That was a very competent and comfortable win. Some great performances from Morley, Dempsey, Santos and especially Randell Williams. He was superb.

Maghoma looked good when he came on, as did Thomasson once he settled down after a couple of bad early touches.

I heard their manager said they were unfortunate not to get anything out of it, which was a little surprising as I had it down as pretty much one-way traffic
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Sun Aug 06, 2023 4:18 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Sat Aug 05, 2023 6:07 pm
Mar wrote:
Sat Aug 05, 2023 5:56 pm
Anyone know why we're behind Exeter in the league table?
Away goals, perhaps. Although when I were a lad no league tables were published until three games in.
Someone on the match bus yesterday had it down to us having 3 yellow cards (fair play points), to their 2 but away goals is a good shout
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sun Aug 06, 2023 4:45 pm

Leeds vs Cardiff has been a really interesting game in terms of showing what you need in your locker to create against a really tough defensive unit.

First goal back was a set piece, but without Leeds' dribbling ability and individual trickery Cardiff would have taken those 3 points. Constant pressure forcing Cardiff back and then a neat turn and run for a shot that set up the goal. Cardiff were increasingly intimidated by Poveda et al and started to live in their own box.

Just need that RWB option to give us the variety of tools we need to unlock sides.

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bertie Wooster » Sun Aug 06, 2023 4:54 pm

Thought JDC was decent yesterday, it will be hard to get this better RWB who will make such a difference.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Aug 06, 2023 5:06 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sun Aug 06, 2023 4:45 pm
Leeds vs Cardiff has been a really interesting game in terms of showing what you need in your locker to create against a really tough defensive unit.

First goal back was a set piece, but without Leeds' dribbling ability and individual trickery Cardiff would have taken those 3 points. Constant pressure forcing Cardiff back and then a neat turn and run for a shot that set up the goal. Cardiff were increasingly intimidated by Poveda et al and started to live in their own box.

Just need that RWB option to give us the variety of tools we need to unlock sides.
You need more up front that Leeds possess.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Aug 06, 2023 5:06 pm

Bertie Wooster wrote:
Sun Aug 06, 2023 4:54 pm
Thought JDC was decent yesterday, it will be hard to get this better RWB who will make such a difference.
I don't think there's a lot wrong with JDC but I fear what happens if he's out. Lad's got a great engine but wingbacks cover a lot of miles in a season.

Signing CMG & Maghoma means that in every position bar wingback we've got decent depth and, if all are fit and firing, some tough decisions. Randell and JDC have started this season well, and long may that continue, because there's a steep drop from them to the next option. Sadlier and John have their benefits but they make the team weaker. After that we're either into converted defenders (Gethin on the right, Ashworth or Iredale left) or maaaybe hoping CMG can play out there.

I suspect we'll borrow a kid from an academy to give us options wide.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Aug 06, 2023 5:08 pm

Bertie Wooster wrote:
I think JDC has some of the qualities we want in a RWB. But we need one who has a different skill set - I doubt we will get one who has it all. So we need one who is happier driving at players with the ball and wants to beat their man regularly. They might, as per Bradley not have the delivery of JDC but that means we’d have the options to unlock different defences.

Also - what DSB just said about ground covered and lack of cover.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sun Aug 06, 2023 5:11 pm

Bertie Wooster wrote:
It's not just about being better, it's about offering different tools to the manager.

We need an option down the right with trickery and dribbling ability. Someone who can take on a defender and beat them more often than not.

Cogley might be better than the new lad at certain things, but we need that option.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sun Aug 06, 2023 5:12 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sun Aug 06, 2023 5:06 pm
You need more up front that Leeds possess.
Unfortunately, for them, Bamford is a crock.

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bertie Wooster » Sun Aug 06, 2023 5:13 pm

I agree that we need cover and I'd love a Roberto Carlos type of wing back, however will these said better RWB's (better than JDC) be available to us ?, and more importantly will we be able to afford them or pay what's required wages wise ?

With the amount of CB's we have, could Jones not cover any JDC injury or fatigue ?

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bertie Wooster » Sun Aug 06, 2023 5:21 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sun Aug 06, 2023 5:11 pm
Bertie Wooster wrote:
It's not just about being better, it's about offering different tools to the manager.

We need an option down the right with trickery and dribbling ability. Someone who can take on a defender and beat them more often than not.

Cogley might be better than the new lad at certain things, but we need that option.
So with your BWFC scout / agent ? background which flying, dribbling RWB's are available & affordable for us to sign who would give us this different option ?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Aug 06, 2023 6:09 pm

Gethin could definitely play RWB, but he's not the tricky winger type we might need to break down low blocks.

What we might end up doing is borrowing a big club kid who has that trickery, and only playing him occasionally - as a sub when chasing the game, or at home to the sort of opponents we expect to camp in their box.

That sort of player might not be a wingback, just a winger/forward whom Evatt would trust to play the position.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sun Aug 06, 2023 6:21 pm

I thought JDC was fine yesterday (first time I've seen him) but he certainly has weaknesses. Looks a very good squad option to me but I'm hoping we're aiming higher for first choice.

Randy looked like the player we hoped we were getting.

Iredale motm for me, just pipping Randy, Sheehan and Dempsey.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sun Aug 06, 2023 6:25 pm

Bertie Wooster wrote:
Sun Aug 06, 2023 5:21 pm
So with your BWFC scout / agent ? background which flying, dribbling RWB's are available & affordable for us to sign who would give us this different option ?
Depends what our other criteria are.

I went through a list with you previously, didn't I?

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bertie Wooster » Sun Aug 06, 2023 6:28 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sun Aug 06, 2023 6:25 pm
Bertie Wooster wrote:
Sun Aug 06, 2023 5:21 pm
Depends what our other criteria are.

I went through a list with you previously, didn't I?
With me - are you sure, when ? Don't be shy the criteria is a flying, dribbling, attacking RWB who offers a different option to JDC. the type of which you mentioned an hour ago.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sun Aug 06, 2023 6:49 pm

Bertie Wooster wrote:
Sun Aug 06, 2023 6:28 pm
With me - are you sure, when ? Don't be shy the criteria is a flying, dribbling, attacking RWB who offers a different option to JDC. the type of which you mentioned an hour ago.
No, not sure it was with you.

I'm not being shy. I said other criteria.

There's more to building a squad than just putting skills in each position. A lot of what we are currently doing is trying to add resale value into the team, so a 29-year-old who otherwise fits the bill might not be anywhere near our list.

Age, background, injury history, versatility, etc...all sorts of things could change who we're looking at. As could the versatility of other options.

Hutton, Tchamadeu, Placheta, Longelo, Strain, etc could all come into the reckoning and likewise they could all fall foul of other creiteria.

Hutton would probably fit brilliantly this season, but he's unlikely to offer as much as we'd like as a long term asset. His football education, age (25) and "journey" are likely to mean other clubs wouldn't be offering big money for him at any stage. If he'd been on a free this summer we may have taken him on, but for a fee the calculus changes.

Tchamadeu has much better resale value, due to his age; but is also trickier to get. Champo clubs will want in.

Placheta would be hugely ambitious for us, but incredibly difficult. He's shown he'll take a financial hit to play football, so who knows.

Strain is a player more in the Bradley mould, but who will believe he can play Premier League football given a shot. Again, the resale profile is off; but the fact he could probably go right the way with us might offset that.

Even domestically there are lots of options, before you look at the loan market. The question is whether those options tick enough boxes for us to pull the trigger. None of us know the whole profile Markham has been given, other than that Wilson would have met it.

Wilson was 23, from a strong educational background, had shown his abilities over a full season and then been devalued by a failed move to the point he was attainable. So he met immediate needs, could grow with the club and had resale value.

A very similar profile to CMG. Also somewhat like Randell, but he was essentially free and thus the age issue didn't come into it as much.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Aug 06, 2023 6:54 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Sun Aug 06, 2023 6:21 pm
I thought JDC was fine yesterday (first time I've seen him) but he certainly has weaknesses. Looks a very good squad option to me but I'm hoping we're aiming higher for first choice.

Randy looked like the player we hoped we were getting.

Iredale motm for me, just pipping Randy, Sheehan and Dempsey.
Pretty much this. I think JDC is better than you describe but the limitations in what we will get are obvious. It’s about finding someone who offers the things JDC does not.

Unlike DSB I’m not thinking it’s likely that will be a premiership youngster winger on loan as I think taking a kid and teaching them a new role is where we are at. Can absolutely see a young kid though on loan - just someone who knows the role to an extent.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sun Aug 06, 2023 6:59 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sun Aug 06, 2023 6:54 pm
just someone who knows the role to an extent.
The most impressive thing about Randell yesterday was his defensive work. We knew that a fully fit Williams can attack with the best of them, but he was making last-ditch interceptions, tracking his runner, reading passes, etc.

Whoever comes in on the right will have at least be able to pick that side of things up. What Cogley gives us is time there, if we need it.

If Randell couldn't defend for toffee we'd have conceded two yesterday.