A Barrow-ful of silverware. Barrow, H, League Cup R1, 08/08

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

truewhite15
Passionate
Passionate

A Barrow-ful of silverware. Barrow, H, League Cup R1, 08/08

Post by truewhite15 » Mon Aug 07, 2023 3:41 pm

Reckon we'll see Toal appear here, whether it's as starter or off the bench. Wouldn't be surprised to see the midfield which closed out the Lincoln game start here, which should be far too good against the League Two minnows.

Speaking to JDB pre-game on Saturday, it looks like he's still being eased back in, so this could come too soon for him - even if he did feel like he was ready to go!

Could Sadlier or John make a late shop-window appearance?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Re: A Barrow-ful of silverware. Barrow, H, League Cup R1, 08/08

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Aug 07, 2023 4:05 pm

I'd guess Coleman to start in goal. Forrester and Ashworth should appear - the latter could be LWB, but we'd expect to dominate this game.

Thomason surely starts – Evatt said leaving him out was Saturday's hardest decision – and as you say, he might be tempted to give Maghoma and/or CMG some serious minutes too.

Interesting that opinions were divided on Dion – most on here thought him rusty, Iles thought he was good - but Evatt might want him to 'play himself in'. That said, I'd expect Big Dan to play - perhaps with Ade.

Bench should have two or three B-teamers in case we're winning, two or three big hitters in case we're not.

Don't forget Evatt would hate to slip up against his old team.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Mon Aug 07, 2023 4:10 pm

Dion and Vic should both start again.

Try and get Dion his first of the season, keep Vic on a roll and work on the partnership some more.

My team would be: Coleman, Jones, Santos, Forrester, Cogley, Morley, Thommo, Gomes, Ashworth, Charles, Adeboyejo.

We'll what goes on.

sonicthewhite
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by sonicthewhite » Mon Aug 07, 2023 4:11 pm

I reckon the following could make a decent 1st eleven;

Coleman

JCD Forrester Toal Ashworth Wiliams

Thomasson Maghoma

CMG

Jerome N'lundulu

The obvious replacement for wingbacks would be Sads and John but I doubt they'll be involved as I honestly think Evatt wants shut of those two. He could possibly play Matheson and Conway at wingback but I really doubt Evatt would change the entire first XI like that. But you never know :D All depends if he's taking the competition seriously or if he's going to use it to get players minutes?
Last edited by sonicthewhite on Mon Aug 07, 2023 4:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!

And the key to a result is a good :kettle:

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Aug 07, 2023 4:13 pm

I’d expect something like..::

Coleman
JDC Jones Toal Forrester Ashworth
Thomason
CMG Maghoma
Jerome Nlundulu

I don’t think it’s impossible John or Sadlier feature either. Toal only if considered fit.

If John plays then Ashworth to LCB and Forrester in place of Jones.

EDIT: Ideal world you’d rest both wing backs.

truewhite15
Passionate
Passionate

Post by truewhite15 » Mon Aug 07, 2023 4:50 pm

Within, what, a couple of hours of posting this thread? Evatt confirms in his presser that neither JDB nor Toal are under consideration for this one. Surprising on Toal - he's missed the entire pre-season, so you'd think he needs the minutes.

I'd have thought all the players who featured on the bench on Saturday would start. At least, that's what I'd do. But I can certainly see the arguments for maintaining consistency and keeping a winning side together.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Mon Aug 07, 2023 4:54 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2023 4:13 pm
I don’t think it’s impossible John or Sadlier feature either.

Worth noting Sads featured against West Brom, so he's not entirely out in the cold.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Aug 07, 2023 5:22 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2023 4:54 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
I don’t think it’s impossible John or Sadlier feature either.

Worth noting Sads featured against West Brom, so he's not entirely out in the cold.
Both wingbacks played the full 106 or whatever minutes on Saturday, and both should start this coming Saturday, so aye.

If we do dominate against Barrow, John and Sadlier might be alright. But if they shirk and cost us, Evatt will kick their arse out the door.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Mon Aug 07, 2023 5:51 pm

I'm sort of hoping he sticks with Baxter in goal. He's had a long-term injury and missed a lot of football. It'd be nice for him to gather some momentum and increase his confidence.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Mon Aug 07, 2023 5:56 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2023 5:22 pm
Both wingbacks played the full 106 or whatever minutes on Saturday, and both should start this coming Saturday, so aye.

If we do dominate against Barrow, John and Sadlier might be alright. But if they shirk and cost us, Evatt will kick their arse out the door.
You can throw in that both the wingbacks and Iredale were stretching out their hamstrings from about 70 minutes onwards.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Mon Aug 07, 2023 10:48 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:

Coleman
Thomason
CMG Maghoma
Jerome Nlundulu

I don’t think it’s impossible John or Sadlier feature either. Toal only if considered fit.

Not a chance in hell I’d be starting JDC. Play Matheson or Sadlier, unless we’ve got a move for him lined up.

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Mon Aug 07, 2023 11:56 pm

The_Gun wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2023 10:48 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:

Coleman
Thomason
CMG Maghoma
Jerome Nlundulu

Not a chance in hell I’d be starting JDC. Play Matheson or Sadlier, unless we’ve got a move for him lined up.

I'd be leaning towards wholesale changes. Everyone deserves to come into this season in contention and our squad is well drilled enough to know how to play without breaking due to squad rotation.

Coleman
Sadlier Jones Toal Forrester Ashworth
Thomason Maghoma
CMG
Bodvarsson Nlundulu

I'm hearing Jerome's doing the outfield coaching role as his contribution. Hopefully that's what's helped with our recent bout of set piece goals. Don't want to misattribute something to the guy but don't want to be overly critical, just trying to gauge his contributions fairly and given his age it might very well be in a coaching role ala Gilks and Tutte.

Jerome to come off the bench for Bod and I'd mix in a sprinkling of first teamers and youth on the bench. No room for Baxter though as Coleman should get the faith.

Matheson might be a shout, depends if its preagreed contractually or not, but I'd suspect there are more deserving candidates at the moment.

I'd also have John on the bench. Not sure where the relationship is with Evatt and John but it's a shop window chance or a playing into contention chance. Either way I'd not have him left out in the cold. Wages must be the issue here if he's staying put or not getting offers elsewhere

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Aug 08, 2023 9:24 am

Even team selection seems to be a lottery. I can't even pronounce half of them, so,I'll settle for COME ON YOU WHITES.. :oyea:

ae:) ae:)
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Aug 08, 2023 10:05 am

Mar wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2023 11:56 pm
The_Gun wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2023 10:48 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:

Coleman
Thomason
CMG Maghoma
Jerome Nlundulu

I'd be leaning towards wholesale changes. Everyone deserves to come into this season in contention and our squad is well drilled enough to know how to play without breaking due to squad rotation.

Coleman
Sadlier Jones Toal Forrester Ashworth
Thomason Maghoma
CMG
Bodvarsson Nlundulu

I'm hearing Jerome's doing the outfield coaching role as his contribution. Hopefully that's what's helped with our recent bout of set piece goals. Don't want to misattribute something to the guy but don't want to be overly critical, just trying to gauge his contributions fairly and given his age it might very well be in a coaching role ala Gilks and Tutte.

Jerome to come off the bench for Bod and I'd mix in a sprinkling of first teamers and youth on the bench. No room for Baxter though as Coleman should get the faith.

Matheson might be a shout, depends if its preagreed contractually or not, but I'd suspect there are more deserving candidates at the moment.

I'd also have John on the bench. Not sure where the relationship is with Evatt and John but it's a shop window chance or a playing into contention chance. Either way I'd not have him left out in the cold. Wages must be the issue here if he's staying put or not getting offers elsewhere
Bod and Toal not involved tonight.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Aug 08, 2023 11:20 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Aug 08, 2023 10:05 am

I'm beginning to worry a bit about both, Bod moreso. I trust Evatt's judgement, but it's been a while now. I'd love too see both at least as subs.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Tue Aug 08, 2023 11:24 am

Had a shorter and less intense pre-season due to their injuries sustained last season. Nothing to be overly concerned about, but we can't throw them in to a match situation yet, without risking further injury
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Aug 08, 2023 11:25 am

TANGODANCER wrote:
Tue Aug 08, 2023 11:20 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:

I'm beginning to worry a bit about both, Bod moreso. I trust Evatt's judgement, but it's been a while now. I'd love too see both at least as subs.
Evatt has said both are fully fit and could play but he’s put them on individual fitness programs to build up their strength and fitness due to missing pre season but also to help prevent their injuries reoccurring. The idea is they are doing extra work now rather than being rushed back into games, get injured again and lose them for longer. He can do this as we have a strong enough squad in most areas.

To me it seems entirely sensible and not worrying. I’d be more worried if they hadn’t been in full training but they have.

Edit: Cross posted with Boris…sorry.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue Aug 08, 2023 3:13 pm

I'm not going to be able to make it tonight, unfortunately.

Looks like there's also no streaming service for tonight.

Hopefully replays will be available at a later date.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Tue Aug 08, 2023 4:36 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Aug 08, 2023 11:25 am
TANGODANCER wrote:
Tue Aug 08, 2023 11:20 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:

Evatt has said both are fully fit and could play but he’s put them on individual fitness programs to build up their strength and fitness due to missing pre season but also to help prevent their injuries reoccurring. The idea is they are doing extra work now rather than being rushed back into games, get injured again and lose them for longer. He can do this as we have a strong enough squad in most areas.

To me it seems entirely sensible and not worrying. I’d be more worried if they hadn’t been in full training but they have.

Edit: Cross posted with Boris…sorry.
Didn't know Evatt had said it. Makes me feel dead dead smart now
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bertie Wooster » Tue Aug 08, 2023 6:23 pm

Meaningless game for me this, not bothered whether we win or lose as long as we avoid injuries. Priority this year is automatic promotion. I'm sure that loads will disagree but this is only my opinion - lets focus 100% on promotion.

However good the Papa Johns win was last year, in my opinion it affected our league run in, injuries to Toal & Santos etc. These games should be used to get game time for the squad players.