A Barrow-ful of silverware. Barrow, H, League Cup R1, 08/08

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

DJBlu
Site Admin

Re: A Barrow-ful of silverware. Barrow, H, League Cup R1, 08/08

Post by DJBlu » Wed Aug 09, 2023 8:34 am

Meh,

Over analyse if you want. 1 nil was the score with another set piece goal to their zero shots on goal. Through to the next round.

Onto Cheltenham.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Wed Aug 09, 2023 9:07 am

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Tue Aug 08, 2023 11:38 pm
Mar wrote:
Tue Aug 08, 2023 11:30 pm
These Evatt quotes make me wonder why he's adverse to cross against set defences.
Because we don't have the players to make the most of it and it makes the game too transitional.

Their assessment will be that it costs us more than we gain from it.

Most top sides make the same calculation, they only allow that kind of delivery from certain players and usually not even then. If the opposition are set the ball doesn't go in.
Well then we should unset them. Try crossing earlier from a more central position, then do it again. Then again. Then when they're expecting that, change the angle and put another cross in from wider.

There are loads of way to keep a team guessing and if they don't want to cross the halfway line, then you have more time to think of variations

It;s alright saying crossing is "not for us", but shooting is also "not for us", so how on earth do we score a goal?
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

truewhite15
Passionate
Passionate

Post by truewhite15 » Wed Aug 09, 2023 9:09 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2023 8:28 am
jmjhb wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2023 1:23 am
It's easy to focus on the negatives but we were utterly dominant throughout and didn't have to get out of first gear.
I think that it depends on your definition of dominance. Yes we were never going to lose that game but mainly that's because Barrow seemingly had very little interest in trying to win it.

We had according to the BBC 78% which reflects our total dominance in that aspect. The problem is that for all that complete dominance of the ball we managed 3 - yes 3 shots on goal. One of which was a set piece that was the goal.

The thing for me is - how is that any different to our issues of last season? It looked almost identical to the way we played against such teams last season. On the night against a league 2 side we won the game and ultimately that is all that matters. But we don't want to be playing like that against league one sides. And for me it highlighted that we still have weaknesses in this side - not least up front but probably more pertinently (given we are still in a window) we need that exciting wing back who will really be able to help us open those packed defences up. You can add Maghoma and CMG but we still aren't ever going to pick these sides apart through the middle - you just need far too much quality for that. So we need more thrust out wide. That has to be the takeaway from last night. We need to add that player or players to the squad.
Three shots on target. We had sixteen shots on goal. Some closer than others. JSL.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Aug 09, 2023 9:25 am

boltonboris wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2023 9:07 am
GhostoftheBok wrote:
Tue Aug 08, 2023 11:38 pm
Mar wrote:
Tue Aug 08, 2023 11:30 pm
These Evatt quotes make me wonder why he's adverse to cross against set defences.
Because we don't have the players to make the most of it and it makes the game too transitional.

Their assessment will be that it costs us more than we gain from it.

Most top sides make the same calculation, they only allow that kind of delivery from certain players and usually not even then. If the opposition are set the ball doesn't go in.
Well then we should unset them. Try crossing earlier from a more central position, then do it again. Then again. Then when they're expecting that, change the angle and put another cross in from wider.

There are loads of way to keep a team guessing and if they don't want to cross the halfway line, then you have more time to think of variations

It;s alright saying crossing is "not for us", but shooting is also "not for us", so how on earth do we score a goal?
The thing is that we had Jerome and Nlundulu up front. If you aren't going to put crosses in for them then I have no idea what they can do. Because they certainly are not going to do anything to feet outside the box (and didn't bar looking somewhat comical as a strikeforce).

I agree with Evatt that we aren't just going to fling balls at the box from standing positions because that's just pointless. But if your wingbacks do get a little space (and that was rare but they did occasionally) then surely they need to exploit that and either drive on or get a decent delivery into the box? Instead what happened last night is they stopped. Walked. Turned round and went sideways and usually that meant the ball ending up back with Santos or Coleman. Which is fine if you are able to change gears as you go through possession but bar the opening 20 minutes we never looked like doing that.

It is still for me about balance - we need to balance keeping the ball with actually offering consistent goal threat in games. Not just a few minutes of threat then nothing. But we need teams to be under that pressure to really have to defend rather than just retreat and watch us play across them. The balance last night was too far one way. Saturday we had a better mix but we did manage to open the game up early on with the goal from a corner.

The other thing that is apparent is the complete lack of movement up front stifles us. Nlundulu and Jerome simply don't offer enough here - mainly because I don't think Nlundulu knows the basics of the game and Jerome seems intent on playing a target man role that doesn't suit us. It was noticeable how Victor came on and started to run the channels and move their backline around (sadly missed a sitter too). I'd say that we don't have a natural front pairing that really work together well as yet - in terms of moving defenders round and creating space. I don't think Charles and Ade work together that well yet (watch them and they argue a LOT about who should be where) and it is clear neither did Jerome and Nlundulu.

The question then for me is where do we play CMG. Its very early days but whilst he was lively for a short period in the number 10 role he definitely looked most comfortable drifting out wide. And that might be an interesting way to play him. But there is also an argument that he would offer something we lack up top.....for example I could see him absolutely being a perfect foil for Charles.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Wed Aug 09, 2023 9:35 am

One thing we need to do in a game like that is lose our obsession with possession %. Let the other team have the ball for a bit. It's a basic
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Wed Aug 09, 2023 10:54 am

jmjhb wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2023 1:23 am
It's easy to focus on the negatives but we were utterly dominant throughout and didn't have to get out of first gear.
Indeed, and to put it in further context. Barrow finished just outside the playoffs and are acutely aware of how Evatt's teams play. So if a team were to be decent from League Two with an understanding of how to beat us then you would argue Barrow would be one of the selected few that could cause an upset, and yet we completely nullified them.

Sure we can be frustrated over the tedious parts of last nights match, but in there is some decent plays, its just a shame we didnt see more of them.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Aug 09, 2023 12:00 pm

Meh. I can see both sides here.

If you think Evattball has too much focus on safe sideways passing, sounds like last night ain't no road-to-Damascus moment. 80% possession is a ludicrous slice – that's four times as much ball as the opponent - and generally means you're not taking many risks, which by their very nature lead to turnovers. Doesn't help when the oppo abandon the ball too. I can imagine it was a frustrating watch.

We won. We rested the huge majority of Saturday's starters. We got minutes in the legs for various 'depth' players (eg Ashworth, Forrester) and those expected to be first-teamers (Maghoma, CMG). We got another clean sheet (again, achieved with a radically different set of players) and scored from a set piece again.

I'd have liked a bigger scoreline. I'd also like us to score from open play. But let's see how we go at Cheltenham and their table-top pitch. Win to nil again there and a pattern's being set.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Aug 09, 2023 12:08 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2023 12:00 pm
Meh. I can see both sides here.

If you think Evattball has too much focus on safe sideways passing, sounds like last night ain't no road-to-Damascus moment. 80% possession is a ludicrous slice – that's four times as much ball as the opponent - and generally means you're not taking many risks, which by their very nature lead to turnovers. Doesn't help when the oppo abandon the ball too. I can imagine it was a frustrating watch.

We won. We rested the huge majority of Saturday's starters. We got minutes in the legs for various 'depth' players (eg Ashworth, Forrester) and those expected to be first-teamers (Maghoma, CMG). We got another clean sheet (again, achieved with a radically different set of players) and scored from a set piece again.

I'd have liked a bigger scoreline. I'd also like us to score from open play. But let's see how we go at Cheltenham and their table-top pitch. Win to nil again there and a pattern's being set.
The issue is not last night. Its more that it clearly showed the same sort of issues we had last season. One can say 'well it was more or less a friendly' and maybe that's why. Maybe players chose the easy option cos it was not that big a game.

But if that is a pattern again it would show we've not really solved the issues. In 2 games we've scored 4 goals 3 from set pieces and an OG. As yet I don't think the evidence is there that we can break teams down better than we did last season.

There are mitigations - CMG and Maghoma clearly undercooked but both look good players to me. As yet I'm not totally sure how either fit the system completely. I can see CMG as a sort of 'impact off the bench' number 10 but not really commanding that role all the time as he looks much more like he wants to be a forward Maghoma for me needs to be deeper than yesterday and really allowed to build the play. He clearly has quality but we need to find a way to translate that more effectively.

We do need more down the right from wing back than anything in the squad currently offers though. That is clear.

I also think the two games so far certainly would suggest we once again do lack quality up front. We have numbers - but bar Charles who hasn't fired yet and JDB I'm unconvinced on the quality of our options. Vic looks better for sure. But again still looks more like a battering ram than someone who will play the intricate triangles we are striving for.

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Wed Aug 09, 2023 12:32 pm

According to Iles, Adam Bogdan was at the match last night. He's a free agent after leaving Ferencváros at the end of the season.

Would've made a good signing I'd imagine had the timing worked out well, but I can imagine that he's in the country to get a club somewhere and probably just wanting to reminisce somewhat by catching some football while over here.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Aug 09, 2023 12:53 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2023 12:08 pm
If you think Evattball has too much focus on safe sideways passing, sounds like last night ain't no road-to-Damascus moment.
The issue is not last night. Its more that it clearly showed the same sort of issues we had last season. One can say 'well it was more or less a friendly' and maybe that's why. Maybe players chose the easy option cos it was not that big a game.

But if that is a pattern again it would show we've not really solved the issues. In 2 games we've scored 4 goals 3 from set pieces and an OG. As yet I don't think the evidence is there that we can break teams down better than we did last season.

There are mitigations - CMG and Maghoma clearly undercooked but both look good players to me. As yet I'm not totally sure how either fit the system completely. I can see CMG as a sort of 'impact off the bench' number 10 but not really commanding that role all the time as he looks much more like he wants to be a forward Maghoma for me needs to be deeper than yesterday and really allowed to build the play. He clearly has quality but we need to find a way to translate that more effectively.

We do need more down the right from wing back than anything in the squad currently offers though. That is clear.

I also think the two games so far certainly would suggest we once again do lack quality up front. We have numbers - but bar Charles who hasn't fired yet and JDB I'm unconvinced on the quality of our options. Vic looks better for sure. But again still looks more like a battering ram than someone who will play the intricate triangles we are striving for.
See?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Aug 09, 2023 12:59 pm

Wed Aug 09, 2023 12:53 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2023 12:08 pm
If you think Evattball has too much focus on safe sideways passing, sounds like last night ain't no road-to-Damascus moment.

See?
Yeah but I don't think its a tactical thing. I think its an execution thing. Its about having the right balance of players in the team to execute the Evatt plan. Evatt doesn't want lots of sideways possession - he said as much last night. But we couldn't execute on what was required. Some of that requires players adjusting and improving. Other bits need new additions.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Aug 09, 2023 2:34 pm

Just a view, but it's that we have the quality, we just aren't performing yet. One instance reported by Marc Illes last night said we had twenty successive passes and then somebody shoots over the bar? We are going to come up against teams who like last night, plan to frustrate us for 75 minutess then throw the kitchen sink at us, then we need to score more than one goal. Okay, it's a No Shxt Sherlock statement, but it's the truth isn't it? The 1990 La Ligua Italian total possession game is long gone, and we haven't got Pirlo's, Roberto Baggios, or Francisco Totti's to spare, have we? Any which way is the criteria as long as we score.

A ae:) men.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Wed Aug 09, 2023 3:06 pm

They just need time for the attacking movements to become natural.

Evatt is compromising less this season, which is great. The players need time.

The solution is to stick to our guns and get hours in on the pitch playing these patterns.

This has been a good start to the season.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Aug 09, 2023 3:52 pm

Move good. Miss bad.
The goal

truewhite15
Passionate
Passionate

Post by truewhite15 » Wed Aug 09, 2023 4:00 pm

Wed Aug 09, 2023 3:52 pm
Move good. Miss bad.
The goal
Yep, that's the second opportunity. I'd back CMG to score that more often than not - unfortunate that he cocked it up quite so badly. The first opportunity fell to Nlundulu in the first 5 minutes, where he got the ball out of his feet, left the defender on the floor, then hammered it right at where the keeper's left arm was hanging. Literally 6 inches further away, and it's a goal.

That's why I'm not too concerned. We've scored (albeit from a free kick) and created two or three high quality chances from open play. Yes, frustrating that they weren't converted, but they were opportunities nonetheless.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Wed Aug 09, 2023 4:13 pm

Move good. Miss bad.
This is why it's difficult.

You need 6 players to all take the risk of playing the quick ball and get their choices right.

That takes work and bravery.

It's good to see it came off at least a couple of times last night. Practice makes perfect.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Aug 09, 2023 4:20 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2023 4:13 pm
Move good. Miss bad.
This is why it's difficult.

You need 6 players to all take the risk of playing the quick ball and get their choices right.

That takes work and bravery.

It's good to see it came off at least a couple of times last night. Practice makes perfect.
But the bottom line is that can't be your only or main way of scoring a goal. Because it takes everything working. I think Evatt knows this its why he's talking about crossing and shooting earlier.

You obviously can work on such attacks but I think you need other options beyond that. Because after a bright 25 minutes we can nowhere near to repeating that.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Wed Aug 09, 2023 4:45 pm

Mar wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2023 12:32 pm
According to Iles, Adam Bogdan was at the match last night. He's a free agent after leaving Ferencváros at the end of the season.

Would've made a good signing I'd imagine had the timing worked out well, but I can imagine that he's in the country to get a club somewhere and probably just wanting to reminisce somewhat by catching some footballs while over here.
That would be a start and a nice change from the last time he was here :D
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Wed Aug 09, 2023 10:29 pm

Middlesbrough at home is our reward. Good test.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Aug 09, 2023 10:51 pm