North by North West..Bolton v Fleetwood Tues 15th Aug 7-45.

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Re: North by North West..Bolton v Fleetwood Tues 15th Aug 7-45.

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Aug 16, 2023 11:58 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2023 11:29 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2023 10:58 am
Back to the game - I’d be interested in a view from those watching online as to why we looked quite so vulnerable at times. Fleetwood certainly gave it more of a go but my instinct was something wasn’t quite right in midfield off the ball. Maghoma certainly was a bit unsure when defending. But I see no long term issue there he will learn that side as he’s quick and physical. It was noticeable how we looked more vulnerable when Thomason went off but second half we barely bothered to turn up.

At times I felt we left the flanks a bit wide open as the midfield players struggled to cover and the wing backs were very advanced. On the plus side of course that is why we looked like we would score on every attack for the first half at least.

But we know Wigan will defend better than Fleetwood but also carry a threat on the transition. So interested to see what tweaks people think we need for that game?

Having slept on it I suspect Nlundulu will have to start as I’m not really seeing other options. It does change the dynamic up front as Charles has been dropping deeper and linking play up but that’s not Big Dan’s game.
It's an interesting one. Personally, I don't think any of Maghoma/Thomason/CMG pushed past the other three last night as a must-start. Usual tactical caveat, horses for courses etc.

It felt like Fleetwood exposed us in a couple of areas - high width (like us, they put in a few dangerous crosses, it's just that we were more ruthless than them) and on occasion straight through the middle on turnover. That's where Thomason got his yellow for lunging in – not a brilliant tackle and not a brilliant choice to go to ground either – and where Vela probably should have scored, although credit to Baxter.

I don't have any incisive tactical insights, it just felt like Maghoma wasn't quite used to our somewhat high-risk system, and Thomason - while very comfortable on the ball (lovely if risky turn at one point) - also didn't always inspire me that he was covering off the channels. Just felt sometimes like that first League One half-season where MJ was often left behind two high 8s (albeit we have an extra centre-back now). Maybe Morley is better at digging back into position than Maghoma - for now - I'm sure Paris will learn his role.

Course, there's always two teams playing and it's entirely possible that Fleetwood were just better at exposing our frailties than the previous three opponents. Perhaps that's a good lesson for Saturday.
Interesting. I thought we looked more not less vulnerable after Thomason went off. But it’s hard to know how much of that was just second half ‘job’s done’ stuff. Thomason moved the ball nice and quickly first half but I thought we got exposed because Maghoma just got caught not knowing whether to press or pick up and Dempsey for me was a bit sluggish after his injury sustained in the first half.

For me I’m not sure whether Sheehan or Thomason or even both will start against Wigan. I feel the game will need more resistance in our midfield than we offered last night.

I suspect it will be a one goal in it at best affair. Wigan will want to keep it tight and try and counter or nick goals off set pieces. On that note Baxter does get a bit rooted to his line I’ve noticed. Not the most confident coming to claim corners which is a miss from Traff.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Wed Aug 16, 2023 12:16 pm

From what little I know about Wigan they have a young midfield we need to be dominating - Thomason will be fresh after 45 minutes I’d be tempted to play him and Morley, with Dempsey.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Wed Aug 16, 2023 12:17 pm

Fleetwoods subs and change of shape affected our game really. We slacked off as we had it in the bag and didn't solve the problems it was causing us. 1-0 up, we'd have sorted it.

They had a little more solidity defensively but ended up with a right footed Left back and we didnt exploit that.

They had good pace and energy and I think they're a decent side. Certainly the best we've played so far
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Aug 16, 2023 12:50 pm

jmjhb
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jmjhb » Wed Aug 16, 2023 1:13 pm

Of the Fleetwood players we were supposedly in for, Omochere showed Promise. :D

Rooney is one I'm not sad about missing out on though.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Wed Aug 16, 2023 6:36 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2023 12:50 pm
The leading attacker in the division by a distance over the first three games.

Absolutely delighted for him. Hopefully it continues on Saturday.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Aug 16, 2023 7:10 pm

Me too. Now showing us why we bought him, which was the hope I harboured over the closed season. It does help that we're not pulling 95% of balls back to the apex...

sonicthewhite
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by sonicthewhite » Wed Aug 16, 2023 7:37 pm

It's great that we now appear to have two first class strikers, three if you include JDB. Almost reminds me of the awesome line up we had with Super John, Andy Walker and Mixu
Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!

And the key to a result is a good :kettle:

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Aug 16, 2023 11:23 pm

boltonboris wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2023 12:17 pm
Fleetwoods subs and change of shape affected our game really. We slacked off as we had it in the bag and didn't solve the problems it was causing us. 1-0 up, we'd have sorted it.

They had a little more solidity defensively but ended up with a right footed Left back and we didnt exploit that.

They had good pace and energy and I think they're a decent side. Certainly the best we've played so far
Agreed. So come half time you're 3-0 up. It would be totally foolish to think full time could be 6-0. Unless/until they score, you don't ground the pedal, you concentrate on taking the points and stop them scoring. They, of course, probably more than a bit miffed, throw the kitchen sink at us. Thus it happened and we got a bit careless, lost a man and they scored. Thus it happens. I doubt that will be the last time. Scoring is what it's all about. We seem to have found a formula. Long may it continue. :oyea:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?