North by North West..Bolton v Fleetwood Tues 15th Aug 7-45.

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Re: North by North West..Bolton v Fleetwood Tues 15th Aug 7-45.

Post by Bertie Wooster » Wed Aug 16, 2023 7:17 am

Great 1st half, poor 2nd half started very sloppy and allowed Fleetwood back in the game. Charles should have been subbed at HT at the same time as Thomason. JDC was excellent, Adeboyejo looked sharp. As everyone has said Ref was a joke and appears to have an agenda against us.

Charles was daft doing whatever he did at the keepers neck, there was absolutely no need to do that whilst on a booking. Fleetwood looked a decent side going forward, but they are a horrible, nasty side (Vela & Rooney). All being said a great 3 points against a team who will be top 10 this season IMO. Against Wigan we will need to play like we did in the 1st half for 90 mins.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Aug 16, 2023 7:27 am

Bertie Wooster wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2023 7:17 am
Great 1st half, poor 2nd half started very sloppy and allowed Fleetwood back in the game. Charles should have been subbed at HT at the same time as Thomason. JDC was excellent, Adeboyejo looked sharp. As everyone has said Ref was a joke and appears to have an agenda against us.

Charles was daft doing whatever he did at the keepers neck, there was absolutely no need to do that whilst on a booking. Fleetwood looked a decent side going forward, but they are a horrible, nasty side (Vela & Rooney). All being said a great 3 points against a team who will be top 10 this season IMO. Against Wigan we will need to play like we did in the 1st half for 90 mins.
Yeah. Charles needs to learn not to get tripped up by a keeper deliberately cos that sort of behaviour is only going to get him in trouble. Dear me.

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bertie Wooster » Wed Aug 16, 2023 7:32 am

WTF are you on about ?

He either got the 2nd yellow for clipping the keeper round the neck before the trip or for saying something to the ref after the trip. I agree their keeper should have been booked for the trip, but Charles was on a booking so there was no need to do either.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Aug 16, 2023 7:41 am

Bertie Wooster wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2023 7:32 am
WTF are you on about ?

He either got the 2nd yellow for clipping the keeper round the neck before the trip or for saying something to the ref after the trip. I agree their keeper should have been booked for the trip, but Charles was on a booking so there was no need to do either.
He got a second yellow for nothing. The referee should never take charge of a game again. I don’t think that anymore needs saying and certainly not towards Charles.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Wed Aug 16, 2023 7:44 am

He should have been subbed at half time. I’m still really bitter about it.

Maghoma was excellent by the way. Fantastic carrier of the ball and a real athlete.

Wing backs great again and the keeper probably had as much a part in winning us the points as Adeboyejo’s hattrick did.

Another good day at the office apart from the obvious
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Aug 16, 2023 7:48 am

boltonboris wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2023 7:44 am
He should have been subbed at half time. I’m still really bitter about it.

Maghoma was excellent by the way. Fantastic carrier of the ball and a real athlete.

Wing backs great again and the keeper probably had as much a part in winning us the points as Adeboyejo’s hattrick did.

Another good day at the office apart from the obvious
Maghoma brilliant on the ball. Still has work to do on his game off it. As Evatt said when we signed him. But what an option he will be this season. Not sure I’d start him Saturday all the same……

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Wed Aug 16, 2023 8:54 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2023 7:41 am
Bertie Wooster wrote:
WTF are you on about ?

He got a second yellow for nothing. The referee should never take charge of a game again. I don’t think that anymore needs saying and certainly not towards Charles.
I am not one to hold back on criticising the shit refs at this level, and the bloke last night is a shit ref, but Dion clearly pulled their keeper back when he was trying to play the ball out. Yeah it's soft, but it's not nothing.

For me it's not good enough from a senior pro who's already on a booking, and with one of our biggest games of the season coming up on the weekend.

https://twitter.com/nathjnzy/status/169 ... 55616?s=20

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Aug 16, 2023 9:01 am

The_Gun wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2023 8:54 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2023 7:41 am
Bertie Wooster wrote:
WTF are you on about ?

I am not one to hold back on criticising the shit refs at this level, and the bloke last night is a shit ref, but Dion clearly pulled their keeper back when he was trying to play the ball out. Yeah it's soft, but it's not nothing.

For me it's not good enough from a senior pro who's already on a booking, and with one of our biggest games of the season coming up on the weekend.

https://twitter.com/nathjnzy/status/169 ... 55616?s=20
Clearly pulled their keeper back? Good lord. The briefest touch on the shoulder. And the referee didn’t stop the game either. The keeper trips him up, at that point the referee stops the game and books Charles for an incident he clearly hasn’t even seen and doesn’t care about.

I’m all for asking for professionalism from players but anyone blaming Charles doesn’t know football. He did absolutely nothing - nothing that would warrant a free kick let alone a card.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Wed Aug 16, 2023 9:05 am

Firstly, he shouldn’t have pulled the keeper back at all. Secondly, he was seemingly booked for saying something to the ref after the keeper had tripped him.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Aug 16, 2023 9:11 am

The_Gun wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2023 9:05 am
Firstly, he shouldn’t have pulled the keeper back at all. Secondly, he was seemingly booked for saying something to the ref after the keeper had tripped him.
Hang on you were just saying he was sent off for pulling their keeper back (he didn’t) now you are saying he was sent off for saying something. Perhaps you know it’s worth just accepting the referee was completely incompetent with a massive chip on his shoulder and it didn’t matter what Charles did he was looking for any excuse and that in this scenario all blame lies with the referee.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Aug 16, 2023 9:27 am

I see we're in binary again.

The ref's a dick – witness, in this passage of play alone, him ignoring the goalkeeper twice kicking out at Charles.

That said, and said loudly... you don't drag back the keeper when you're on a yellow. And yes, it was a drag-back, an arm across his throat. Not much of one, and a bloody stupid thing to miss a game for. A bloody annoying thing for the ref to focus on given some of the other goings-on. But still a bookable offence, especially in this season's heightened no-naughtiness efort.

I'm annoyed at the ref but I'm also annoyed at Dion (and, somewhat, Evatt for not substituting him). Derek Clark and John McGinlay were joking that he may have been getting wound up by his fellow striker's hat-trick and it's worth remembering he'd just cut in from the left and attempted a shot across goal that was heading nearer the flag than the corner of the goal. He is a passionate player and we love that when well-directed. Last night it was less so, and now we lose him Saturday.

So yes, I think he could have done better. Does that mean I have <checks notes> "no place following this great sport"? Unlucky mate, I'm still following – and I doubt Tango and the mods will be as trigger-happy as that twunt in black last night.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Wed Aug 16, 2023 9:30 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2023 9:11 am
The_Gun wrote:
Hang on you were just saying he was sent off for pulling their keeper back (he didn’t) now you are saying he was sent off for saying something. Perhaps you know it’s worth just accepting the referee was completely incompetent with a massive chip on his shoulder and it didn’t matter what Charles did he was looking for any excuse and that in this scenario all blame lies with the referee.
I didn't say he was sent off for that - I said it was stupid of him to do that, and ultimately it started the chain of events which led to the second yellow.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Aug 16, 2023 9:45 am

For me it was in the "never give a mug a chance" box. Dumb as they come and in a situation where there was no likely advantage to us. Ref was a dick, too.

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bertie Wooster » Wed Aug 16, 2023 9:48 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
The_Gun wrote:
Look at the highlights, yes the ref was incompetent however the ref clearly gives a free kick for Charles pulling the keeper's neck (regardless of the ref ignoring the trips / kicks) or whatever it was, he (the ref) runs back to the 6 yard box to give the keeper the free kick - several moments later after blowing his whistle to resume play he (the ref) trots back and Charles clearly has words, which he initially let's go but Charles keeps digging and is then shown the 2nd yellow.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Aug 16, 2023 9:52 am

The_Gun wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2023 9:30 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
The_Gun wrote:
I didn't say he was sent off for that - I said it was stupid of him to do that, and ultimately it started the chain of events which led to the second yellow.
Footballers aren’t robots. If he’s fouled someone or reacted to something then that’s stupid.

But if you are saying you can’t do anything now if you have a yellow and just have to stand in space near no players and avoid playing to avoid the risk of a yellow then I’m sorry but that’s ridiculous.

Thomason had been booked and then just before half time made another foul. The referee didn’t book him but clearly we took him off for fear he might mistime another challenge and be sent off. I get that.

But Charles did absolutely nothing to be sent off and we saw numerous dangerous challenges from Fleetwood not get a yellow card they clearly deserved.

I cannot at all expect or think reasonable to blame Charles in that scenario and I think it’s pretty obvious the referee had an agenda.

The focus should imo be on that and not on asking footballers to essentially stop playing if they get booked.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Aug 16, 2023 9:56 am

So now it transpires the referee who is perfectly normal and not at all desperate to send off bolton players came to speak to Evatt at half time to tell him Thomason ‘had to be careful’.

Dear me.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Aug 16, 2023 9:57 am

There's a longer clip of it here - although because the tweeter (firmly in the "Neild Out" camp) explains himself at length, the video isn't properly embeddable on here - just click the link to follow it.

https://twitter.com/andybroomeBWFC/stat ... 9693276465

As so often, I completely understand BWFCi's viewpoint – I just don't think it's quite that simple.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Aug 16, 2023 10:00 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2023 9:56 am
So now it transpires the referee who is perfectly normal and not at all desperate to send off bolton players came to speak to Evatt at half time to tell him Thomason ‘had to be careful’.

Dear me.
This seems... odd. I don't deny it happened. Like I don't deny the ref's a twunt. Still don't think you should grab a keeper round the neck when you know FROM PERSONAL HUMILIATING EXPERIENCE that the ref's a twunt.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Aug 16, 2023 10:14 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2023 9:56 am

Dear me.
I'm lost on where anyone said referee is "perfectly normal?"

Most posts seem to have him somewhere between dick n c×nt...

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Wed Aug 16, 2023 10:22 am

The ref was wrong but it wasn’t the brightest approach by Charles to try to wind the keeper up when he was on a yellow. And more so Evatt should have realised this at halftime - he withdrew Thomason to stop him being carded again…Charles was obviously in the refs sights last night and should have been subbed as well.