Match Thread: Pasties and Pies - A Tasty affair! Bolton v Wigan (H) - Saturday 19th Aug / 12.30

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Re: Match Thread: Pasties and Pies - A Tasty affair! Bolton v Wigan (H) - Saturday 19th Aug / 12.30

Post by The_Gun » Thu Aug 17, 2023 4:42 pm

https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/2 ... letic-ban/

Evatt not banned for Saturday. Would rather have Dion, but a positive nonetheless.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Match Thread: Pasties and Pies - A Tasty affair! Bolton v Wigan (H) - Saturday 19th Aug / 12.30

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Aug 17, 2023 4:54 pm

The_Gun wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2023 4:42 pm

Evatt not banned for Saturday. Would rather have Dion, but a positive nonetheless.
Referee admitted he got it wrong….ahem……’but but Charles is at fault….’

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Thu Aug 17, 2023 5:05 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2023 4:54 pm
The_Gun wrote:

Doesn’t say what he admitted to getting wrong.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Aug 17, 2023 5:06 pm

The_Gun wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2023 1:03 pm
Whatever some of our fans might choose to believe, this is definitely one of our biggest games of the season. Our rivalry with Wigan is a relatively nascent one, but I don’t think there can be any argument that it’s not currently our most significant.
I doubt anyone would argue this is one of the biggest games of the season, when we're in the same lower division. Whether it proves to be one of our most significant this season, I suspect time will tell.

People tend to be driven by what they watched, where they live etc. at various stages of "Wanderer's watching," but I'm struggling to recall any real important games against Wigan down the years, ones that (to me - can't speak for anyone else) held any sort of significance outside the day of the match. I'm unlikely to change which derby's excite me or otherwise based on "recent history" - we've played Blackburn around the same number of times as Wigan in the last 10 years and many more times prior to that.

So no, not for me. Similar with Tranmere - some folks get quite "energised" because it was important to them, not a derby for me either, I'm more worried about Salford beating us! :-)

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Aug 17, 2023 5:13 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2023 5:06 pm
I'm struggling to recall any real important games against Wigan down the years
Meggo would disagree

As was his wont

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Thu Aug 17, 2023 5:18 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2023 5:13 pm
Meggo would disagree

As was his wont
I think you've reached your limit of mentioning that prick this year, DSB.

We need a swear jar. £5 to charity every time we invoke him.

KeyserSoze
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeyserSoze » Thu Aug 17, 2023 5:29 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2023 5:18 pm
Meggo would disagree

As was his wont
I think you've reached your limit of mentioning that prick this year, DSB.

We need a swear jar. £5 to charity every time we invoke him.
Indeed. The Tiaras for Shire Horses Foundation could benefit greatly.
Nero fiddles while Gordon Burns.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Aug 17, 2023 5:47 pm

Eh, I find recalling times of horror increases gratitude

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Aug 17, 2023 6:04 pm

The_Gun wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2023 5:05 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2023 4:54 pm
The_Gun wrote:

Doesn’t say what he admitted to getting wrong.
The Charles decision obvs. He can’t have got the Evatt one wrong since he has been fined for that and the rule albeit unknown till this week is clearly written down.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Thu Aug 17, 2023 6:09 pm

This is not a particularly interesting thing to argue about, but presumably he got Evatt’s straight red wrong, otherwise he’d be banned.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Aug 17, 2023 6:13 pm

The_Gun wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2023 6:09 pm
This is not a particularly interesting thing to argue about, but presumably he got Evatt’s straight red wrong, otherwise he’d be banned.
No. He did not. The rule and sanction is documented. The FA have issued a fine. There isn’t an automatic ban for managers in receipt of a red card there is discretion and presumably common sense prevailed given it’s the first time this rule was enforced.

But it’s written down in the rules that if you look at tech and then tell the officials they got it wrong it is a red card offence.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Aug 17, 2023 6:36 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Meggo would disagree

As was his wont
Oh, I agreed at the time, saving our best for the Wigan game was the right call...but that was way more to do with them being a relegation rival, than them being Wigan. But yeah we've found one!

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Aug 17, 2023 6:49 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2023 6:36 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
Meggo would disagree

As was his wont
Oh, I agreed at the time, saving our best for the Wigan game was the right call...but that was way more to do with them being a relegation rival, than them being Wigan. But yeah we've found one!
We lost and stayed up. So I’m not sure how important I’d rank that one. Pretty low even by standards of that season for me.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Thu Aug 17, 2023 7:10 pm

I hate Wigan. My formative years as a Wanderer aged 15 and upwards, saw them feature heavily. We won some, we lost some. The most important was the Freight Rover northern final. They were flying high in the 3rd division, we were in the bottom half and just a season away from going down. We won both legs.

I avoid social media at the best of times, lose on Saturday and its more excuse. They've a good side still and disastrous takeovers aside,they've been a well run club.

Hope we stuff em but I'd take a point now.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Aug 17, 2023 7:23 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2023 7:10 pm
I hate Wigan. My formative years as a Wanderer aged 15 and upwards, saw them feature heavily. We won some, we lost some. The most important was the Freight Rover northern final. They were flying high in the 3rd division, we were in the bottom half and just a season away from going down. We won both legs.

I avoid social media at the best of times, lose on Saturday and its more excuse. They've a good side still and disastrous takeovers aside,they've been a well run club.

Apart from being an almost constant disaster who have spent above their means on multiple occasions they are a ‘well run club’? Seriously?

If you had a dictionary definition of ‘badly run club’ it would say Wigan Athletic.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Aug 17, 2023 7:25 pm

Are we afraid of Wigan? Not on your life. Keep the faith, this is a new Bolton Wanderers. Up and at em. :Jedi:

ae:)
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Thu Aug 17, 2023 7:45 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2023 7:23 pm
Harry Genshaw wrote:

Apart from being an almost constant disaster who have spent above their means on multiple occasions they are a ‘well run club’? Seriously?

If you had a dictionary definition of ‘badly run club’ it would say Wigan Athletic.
You missed the bit where I said "Disastrous takeovers aside"?
Punched above their weight since getting into the league less than 50 years ago, won a major trophy, consistently bought low and sold high, spent just 1 or 2 years less than us in the Premier league yet managed to do it without racking up and writing off hundreds of millions of debt.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Thu Aug 17, 2023 8:00 pm

Referee owning up to making mistakes after the match and us still being punished by missing out on Charles being available. Ridiculous set of circumstances. If referees acknowledge mistakes then surely it's prudent to correct them. They can do it with VAR but can't overturn a yellow-red scenario? Sounds like double punishment to me, mistake during the match and further punishment after the fact.

Don't mind the refs being wrong, they'll get criticised on the pitch for that, but there should be no reason for not being able to contest a sending off.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Aug 17, 2023 8:36 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2023 7:45 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2023 7:23 pm
Harry Genshaw wrote:

You missed the bit where I said "Disastrous takeovers aside"?
Punched above their weight since getting into the league less than 50 years ago, won a major trophy, consistently bought low and sold high, spent just 1 or 2 years less than us in the Premier league yet managed to do it without racking up and writing off hundreds of millions of debt.
So lived off Whelans riches until he had enough. Then three takeovers where they all overspent beyond their means later they are ‘well run’. I’m honestly not seeing how that is different to us. Except we had Ken who wasn’t overspending but trying to sink the club by not paying any bills.

Wigan are and always will be Whelans money. They had nothing before that and nothing since. No support. No tradition. No history. No soul.

Whelans money is the sum total of that club.

To say it’s well run is honestly laughable.

I have never really got this rivalry. It’s like suggesting Stockport and Bolton have some massive rivalry. Like Stockport they are some completely irrelevant club who I guess wish they were us.

I suppose we do the exact same thing with Man Utd but yeah.

Wigan really are worth the whole square root of very little.

jmjhb
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jmjhb » Thu Aug 17, 2023 9:45 pm

It's a generational thing, anyone under 35 would say they're rivals due to similar fortunes the past 15-20 years

The same with Tranmere and Wolves in the 90s. These rivalries in people's formative years tend to stick with them.