A Storm Brewing. Burton Albion V Bolton, Saturday Aug 26th 3 0'Clock,.

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Mar
Icon
Icon

Re: A Storm Brewing. Burton Albion V Bolton, Saturday Aug 26th 3 0'Clock,.

Post by Mar » Sat Aug 26, 2023 5:03 pm

DJBlu wrote:
Sat Aug 26, 2023 4:57 pm
Why did we sign Nlundlu? Absolute enigma.
Feels like madness doesn't it. Persisting with players that didn't manage to deliver last season and expecting them to come good seems like questionable decision making.

Presumption here is that they're more familiar with our system and more likely to contribute as a result of that extra familiarity.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sat Aug 26, 2023 5:09 pm

Had to bounce back with a convincing win today for me. Same old shite.

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Sat Aug 26, 2023 5:11 pm

Well, a better performance than Wigan. Still some nervy performances out there.
Would've quite liked Charles to play the full 90 today. Seems like when he came off that was the 1-1 wrapped up.

You can see what our players are trying to do when they come on. N'lundulu coming back to win the ball and play it out wide for whipped in crosses where he (and everyone else) can get on the end of them. Jerome getting flick ons to any on running player. What baffles me, is that neither of them are looking to shoot when they get the opportunity today. Jerome had a chance of getting a shot off and it looked like he thought his best option was passing. N'lundulu not bothering jumping for back post crosses. How about taking a shot on, even Thomason managed to get a shot off today.

Very few positives to be had. Maghoma looked decent, as did Thomason. Charles getting a goal.

Feel like its just more of the same. We can't beat Burton (yet again) and we've got some mistakes in us.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sat Aug 26, 2023 5:18 pm

This set of players is play offs at best. It wants changing this week - unfortunately the ones that need shipping he won’t get rid of, Nlundulu prime example.

malcd1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by malcd1 » Sat Aug 26, 2023 5:19 pm

Forrester did well when he came on. Evatt has to play him instead of Iredale who was dreadful as he was against Wigan. For me, he should never play in the back three again. Iredale is a traditional left back and nothing else.
Do not trust atoms. They make up everything.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Aug 26, 2023 5:21 pm

Mar wrote:
Sat Aug 26, 2023 5:11 pm
Well, a better performance than Wigan. Still some nervy performances out there.
Would've quite liked Charles to play the full 90 today. Seems like when he came off that was the 1-1 wrapped up.

You can see what our players are trying to do when they come on. N'lundulu coming back to win the ball and play it out wide for whipped in crosses where he (and everyone else) can get on the end of them. Jerome getting flick ons to any on running player. What baffles me, is that neither of them are looking to shoot when they get the opportunity today. Jerome had a chance of getting a shot off and it looked like he thought his best option was passing. N'lundulu not bothering jumping for back post crosses. How about taking a shot on, even Thomason managed to get a shot off today.

Very few positives to be had. Maghoma looked decent, as did Thomason. Charles getting a goal.

Feel like its just more of the same. We can't beat Burton (yet again) and we've got some mistakes in us.
The performance this week was no better and arguably worse than last week. It’s just that Burton are a poor side who didn’t exploit it. Lack of desire. Fight. All the qualities you need to succeed are missing. Frankly I think it’s much worse than last week.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Aug 26, 2023 5:21 pm

malcd1 wrote:
Sat Aug 26, 2023 5:19 pm
Forrester did well when he came on. Evatt has to play him instead of Iredale who was dreadful as he was against Wigan. For me, he should never play in the back three again. Iredale is a traditional left back and nothing else.
Santos likely out a while so Iredale will likely need to remain.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Aug 26, 2023 5:26 pm

I keep coming back to question whether Evatt really knows what is needed to get out of this difficult league. You need mental resilience and character and desire and leaders and bottle. You also need some physicality to match teams who test you and striking options who aren’t absolute disasters.

I think he’s struggling to build a team that is needed and I think his one track insistence on one way of playing only is part of the reason.

Can’t bear being stuck down here another season so the next few days are absolutely critical. It’s clear even to the most ‘positive’ we need some very key additions or else.

Evatt allegedly telling our own fans to eff off perhaps shows the pressure is mounting.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sat Aug 26, 2023 5:29 pm

Just heading back. Feels like a missed opportunity- they're a poor side. A good side would be winning there

Iredale looking like a shadow of the player in pre season and first couple of games. Dacres Cogley and Maghoma the main bright spots
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

irie Cee Bee
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by irie Cee Bee » Sat Aug 26, 2023 5:36 pm

Got a result away from home. Game could have gone either way. Liked the way we took over the game in the second half overcoming the loss of our Captain and conceding at the start of it. Focusing on the positives. Good goal Charles. Our wingbacks, Maghoma and even Jerome when he came on did well. My man of the match was Thomasson. Brought some steel in our midfield and played intelligently after receiving a yellow card, spreading some really nice passes forward, instead of backwards and sideways. I hope he gets a run of games.

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bertie Wooster » Sat Aug 26, 2023 5:58 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Sat Aug 26, 2023 5:09 pm
Had to bounce back with a convincing win today for me. Same old shite.
This....and Evatt says that we don't need more physicality & character in the side !

Big week ahead for Evatt & the board if they are serious about getting top 2, because at the moment this team is no better than the team that finished last season & for me. Evatt hasn't had a great transfer window to date and I think that the fans bond money has been wasted as we desperately needed & need experienced players.

All in all after last weeks' debacle a point is just about acceptable.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Aug 26, 2023 6:05 pm

Bottom line again is that whilst there are significant failings elsewhere that need addressing is that if Evatt hadn’t assembled such a poor set of striking options beyond Charles we’d have won today.

Victor missed a sitter.

Jerome is finished.
Nlundulu you could do better picking someone out the crowd. Seriously abysmal.

Should have saved money on Nlundulu and JDB and just signed lad from Peterborough.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sat Aug 26, 2023 6:07 pm

Maybe we could have used a million quid for Thomason.

We’ve yet to get Gomes into the side but I’m still not sure we’ve solved the goals problem.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Aug 26, 2023 6:09 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Sat Aug 26, 2023 6:07 pm

We’ve yet to get Gomes into the side but I’m still not sure we’ve solved the goals problem.
Thomason has more battle than the rest.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sat Aug 26, 2023 6:39 pm

Wouldn’t disagree mate but just wondering if that was our chance to shake the squad up a bit. We ain’t getting that for anyone else!

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Aug 26, 2023 6:51 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Sat Aug 26, 2023 6:39 pm
Wouldn’t disagree mate but just wondering if that was our chance to shake the squad up a bit. We ain’t getting that for anyone else!
Evatts gone into denial phase. ‘Dominated the game, no divine right to win etc etc’.

Like last season the pattern is the same. Good start. Then wheels come off and without the key ingredients we will always be struggling.

Santos going to be out for a while too.

Evatt for me has to push himself more and be much more demanding. I feel when we hit rough patches as we have here at virtually the same point as last season he should not be accepting it.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Sat Aug 26, 2023 7:06 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Aug 26, 2023 6:09 pm
officer_dibble wrote:

Not worth anything like a million quid, though. Couldn’t impose himself against bottom of the league today, and I’m not sure we wouldn’t have been better off with Morley.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Aug 26, 2023 7:12 pm

The_Gun wrote:
Sat Aug 26, 2023 7:06 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Aug 26, 2023 6:09 pm
officer_dibble wrote:

Not worth anything like a million quid, though. Couldn’t impose himself against bottom of the league today, and I’m not sure we wouldn’t have been better off with Morley.
The problem is whoever you play we need a proper big strong number 6.

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bertie Wooster » Sat Aug 26, 2023 7:18 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Aug 26, 2023 7:12 pm

The problem is whoever you play we need a proper big strong number 6.
Boss man disagrees.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Sat Aug 26, 2023 7:18 pm

Yeah, I actually do agree with you on this. I think the point OD makes is a million quid spent on one or multiple new players (unless we completely fecked up) probably makes us a better side than retaining Thomason.