A Storm Brewing. Burton Albion V Bolton, Saturday Aug 26th 3 0'Clock,.

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Re: A Storm Brewing. Burton Albion V Bolton, Saturday Aug 26th 3 0'Clock,.

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Aug 27, 2023 12:08 pm

That too. :-)

But we do roll out the injury thing very often.. Like there's only us suffer from it. If that's correct (or way more often than others), then we need to look at who we're buying...

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Sun Aug 27, 2023 12:19 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sun Aug 27, 2023 12:03 pm
dave the minion wrote:
Sun Aug 27, 2023 10:38 am
Ok

So, name me a keeper.and RWB who we could have signed (affordable/attainable).

Genuine question - who out there could we have signed that wouldn't be have satisfied the hunger for improvement,but we chose not to and lost out on?
There is a striker at Peterborough right now available and a number of league one clubs are chasing. Virtually guaranteed goals. Proven.

There are a number of players that have moved with a proven pedigree at this level in decent sides who we could have got.

But the issue is less that and more that we’ve signed a lot of players who fill gaps rather than improve us dramatically.

I’d suggest that for example one of the favourites for promotion getting Clarke Harris would likely tip over the edge.
Why do you think Clarke Harris hasn’t moved yet?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Aug 27, 2023 1:28 pm

The_Gun wrote:
Sun Aug 27, 2023 12:19 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
dave the minion wrote:
Ok

Genuine question - who out there could we have signed that wouldn't be have satisfied the hunger for improvement,but we chose not to and lost out on?
There is a striker at Peterborough right now available and a number of league one clubs are chasing. Virtually guaranteed goals. Proven.

There are a number of players that have moved with a proven pedigree at this level in decent sides who we could have got.

But the issue is less that and more that we’ve signed a lot of players who fill gaps rather than improve us dramatically.

I’d suggest that for example one of the favourites for promotion getting Clarke Harris would likely tip over the edge.
Sure. But that’s not the question is it. It’s whether we’ve used our resources well. Nlundulu, CMG, Forrester, even going back to Vic it’s a lot of money spent. The judgement will be whether we are good enough to win promotion. Have we built the side needed? That’s the question. People act like we couldn’t possibly have signed anyone else but Wigan for example had to assemble a squad on frees and they have a number of players who to my eyes would be more suitable than what we’ve recruited using considerably more resource.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sun Aug 27, 2023 1:58 pm

That's another point we didn't get last season. We're now three up on last year. 0.6 ppg. That's 27.6 points extra over a season, 108 points, champions.

We're third. It's not all perfect but Christ you'd think we were in the bottom 4!
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Aug 27, 2023 2:25 pm

^^ we've played 4 out of the bottom 5. ;-)

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sun Aug 27, 2023 2:30 pm

Ha! One isn't really, tbf given the points deduction. And early doors, getting beaten by us is more likely to have a team near the bottom!

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Aug 27, 2023 2:41 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Sun Aug 27, 2023 2:30 pm
Ha! One isn't really, tbf given the points deduction. And early doors, getting beaten by us is more likely to have a team near the bottom!
Yet not the ones beaten by Oxford? Who I'll note haven't signed JCH either. Bit too early to tell for me, at the moment, but doesn't feel like a racing cert top 2...

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sun Aug 27, 2023 2:42 pm

I think that's fair. Just a counter point to the doom and gloom. I still think we're a bit short. Big week ahead.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Aug 27, 2023 2:57 pm

Maybe. I don't see 4 quality signings heading inwards. Not even sure there'll be one (unless there are significant outgoings)

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sun Aug 27, 2023 5:33 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Sun Aug 27, 2023 1:58 pm
That's another point we didn't get last season.
It was 1-1 last season too.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sun Aug 27, 2023 6:30 pm

Don't come here with your facts. Still 2 points up on last year. Only an extra 18 over the season, 99 points, promoted.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Sun Aug 27, 2023 7:14 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Sun Aug 27, 2023 2:57 pm
Maybe. I don't see 4 quality signings heading inwards. Not even sure there'll be one (unless there are significant outgoings)
Are you being more negative than usual, Worthy? Maybe you’re always like this and I’ve not been paying attention, idk.

irie Cee Bee
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by irie Cee Bee » Sun Aug 27, 2023 7:19 pm

The_Gun wrote:
Sun Aug 27, 2023 12:19 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
dave the minion wrote:
Ok

I would be very surprised if we moved for Clarke Harris. Not better than Dan if you ask me. Vic is a better player for us than he would be based on how we play. Yes he bangs them in, but is more of a power forward who is strong in the air. We would not play to his strengths and he would be lost with us, hardly getting the ball. He would be best in a team with wingers.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Aug 27, 2023 7:35 pm

The_Gun wrote:
Sun Aug 27, 2023 7:14 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
Are you being more negative than usual, Worthy? Maybe you’re always like this and I’ve not been paying attention, idk.
Negative or realistic? I dunno, You seem to back youth over cunning, I think there's a balance... either way I'm not launching HMS Piss the league... :-)

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Sun Aug 27, 2023 7:46 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Sun Aug 27, 2023 7:35 pm
The_Gun wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:
Negative or realistic? I dunno, You seem to back youth over cunning, I think there's a balance... either way I'm not launching HMS Piss the league... :-)
We're ahead of out points tally from last year. We'd like to be doing better of course but we're still up. If we continue to be ahead of our points tally from last season we can call it progress, which is all we can realistically ask for every season. Sure its harder to picture how we're going to do that given the last two results but it's still progress.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Aug 27, 2023 8:01 pm

Maybe our three wins are worse than they were last year? Didn't Cheltenham have Alfie May? Not all things are consistent :-)

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Aug 27, 2023 8:08 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Sun Aug 27, 2023 8:01 pm
Maybe our three wins are worse than they were last year? Didn't Cheltenham have Alfie May? Not all things are consistent :-)
My bad! They also had Dan "ran the show" N'lundulu.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Aug 27, 2023 8:29 pm

Mar wrote:
Sun Aug 27, 2023 7:46 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
The_Gun wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:
We're ahead of out points tally from last year. We'd like to be doing better of course but we're still up. If we continue to be ahead of our points tally from last season we can call it progress, which is all we can realistically ask for every season. Sure its harder to picture how we're going to do that given the last two results but it's still progress.
Points totals aren’t a sign of progress. Only sign is finishing higher and achieving more.

Bottom line we need promotion or this season is a failure to progress and meet targets.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Aug 27, 2023 8:36 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sun Aug 27, 2023 8:29 pm
Mar wrote:
Sun Aug 27, 2023 7:46 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
The_Gun wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:
Points totals aren’t a sign of progress. Only sign is finishing higher and achieving more.

Bottom line we need promotion or this season is a failure to progress and meet targets.
TBF, I think the two are pretty closely connected. But I reckon you're saying 79 points will do us, If that gets us 1st or 2nd :-) we're on target...

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Sun Aug 27, 2023 9:01 pm

Points tally is a good metric of success. Getting more points than previous seasons are a good marker of success. Sure its not promotion but its a close marker year on year if we improve that tally. If we keep improving that, we'll eventually get promoted.