A Storm Brewing. Burton Albion V Bolton, Saturday Aug 26th 3 0'Clock,.

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Re: A Storm Brewing. Burton Albion V Bolton, Saturday Aug 26th 3 0'Clock,.

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Aug 29, 2023 10:28 am

Oh to hear "must win" (even with the caveat) rolled out in August! I missed the e-mail saying it would be all strawberries and blow jobs...we're going to have awkward games and some we lose. I can but wonder if the 21 teams below us haven't already hit the beach.

Where I'm with you, is you probably can't lose too many and for sure, a win would be great...

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Aug 29, 2023 10:47 am

officer_dibble wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2023 10:20 am
Sharon isnt happy - https://www.bwfc.co.uk/news/club-statem ... age-sharon

Am I missing something? I haven’t seen anything of abuse either online or at game?
Interestingly strong, this.
I must address some recent issues that have been brought to my attention – instances of abusive language and behaviour directed towards the manager Ian Evatt and CEO Neil Hart, which are wholly unacceptable.

​​While we understand that discussions and debates about team performance and decisions are a fundamental part of the game, it is important to remember that we have a team of talented professionals on and off the pitch who are working incredibly hard to place this famous club on an upwards trajectory.

​​​​Don’t get me wrong, we welcome criticism where it is fair and constructive - as football is a subjective game - but when it crosses the line and becomes aggressive, vitriolic and personal then we will simply not accept it. It must stop!

I wish to make it patently clear that such behaviour, whether in person, online or through any other platform, will result in action being taken by the Club which may include an immediate ban.

​​​​I completely understand that this applies only to a minority of supporters, but we need to stand together as one, be respectful to one another and put a stop to it.
I did think it was odd that Evatt reacted to it and made a point of mentioning it in the presser.

sonicthewhite
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by sonicthewhite » Tue Aug 29, 2023 11:18 am

There's feedback then there's downright abuse. The former is acceptable but the latter isn't. We all get caught up in the moment but some of the stuff that gets hurled at footballers and club staff in general just isn't on. This may answer Insano's comment about Evatt feeling the pressure. Maybe it isn't the pressure that's telling, just vile abuse and nastiness that he's responded to? I'd "respond" too if someone came shouting shite at me at my workplace.
Last edited by sonicthewhite on Tue Aug 29, 2023 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!

And the key to a result is a good :kettle:

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Aug 29, 2023 11:49 am

officer_dibble wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2023 10:20 am
Wigan was before Burton, that’s the stem 😃
Not seen much from the weekend tbf

Anyway Sharon isnt happy - https://www.bwfc.co.uk/news/club-statem ... age-sharon

Am I missing something? I haven’t seen anything of abuse either online or at game?
Wasn’t there but Burton fans on Twitter said Evatt twice told our end to ‘eff off’. So must have been reacting to something.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Aug 29, 2023 11:52 am

Agree with this Sonic. I wonder how many of our lot would accept the abuse they hand out, we're it the other way...

Not that I'd draw the line in the same place, but I do think the two things are connected (pressure and the abusive reaction). Generally, I'd say the footballing side has had it pretty easy of late, around what (some) fans expect - I think there'd have been more said last season, had we been a team just relegated to L1 vs a team improving in L1 from a near total wipeout.

I think there are some who will be angling for a managerial change, if Evatt doesn't get us up this season. I'm less certain as to how widespread that is.

truewhite15
Passionate
Passionate

Post by truewhite15 » Tue Aug 29, 2023 12:06 pm

Lots of people seem to think they have carte blanche to say whatever they want at a football stadium. "We pay our money, we're entitled to our opinion" etc. It's bull.

I can't, and never have heen able to, get on board with shouting any old bollocks at our own players. The team that are out there, playing with our badge on their chest, trying to improve our situation and win games for us. They might not get it right all the time, and they're allowed to be criticised - but some of our "fans" have the line between criticism and flat-out abuse way out of whack.

Already seen plenty of folk in various places coming out with the usual "oh, I didn't see anything/hear anything, people are just too soft these days". Just because you didn't hear it or see it, doesn't mean it didn't happen. And given what I hear going on behind me every single game, I'm more inclined to believe Evatt, Hart and Brittan that some numpty or numpties have gone too far once too often.

Why can't we just get behind the bloody club when things don't quite go our way?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Aug 29, 2023 12:14 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2023 11:52 am
Agree with this Sonic. I wonder how many of our lot would accept the abuse they hand out, we're it the other way...

Not that I'd draw the line in the same place, but I do think the two things are connected (pressure and the abusive reaction). Generally, I'd say the footballing side has had it pretty easy of late, around what (some) fans expect - I think there'd have been more said last season, had we been a team just relegated to L1 vs a team improving in L1 from a near total wipeout.

I think there are some who will be angling for a managerial change, if Evatt doesn't get us up this season. I'm less certain as to how widespread that is.
The other thing is that anger is always louder than contentment, and even more so than mild disappointment. Yeah, you can stand on the terrace and argue against the purple-faced "sack 'em and sell 'em" brigade, but there's no point - minds are rarely changed by saying "You're wrong".

It's two weeks since the Toughsheet was reverberating to "and that's the way we like it, in fact we f**king love it".

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Aug 29, 2023 12:15 pm

truewhite15 wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2023 12:06 pm
Lots of people seem to think they have carte blanche to say whatever they want at a football stadium. "We pay our money, we're entitled to our opinion" etc. It's bull.

I can't, and never have heen able to, get on board with shouting any old bollocks at our own players. The team that are out there, playing with our badge on their chest, trying to improve our situation and win games for us. They might not get it right all the time, and they're allowed to be criticised - but some of our "fans" have the line between criticism and flat-out abuse way out of whack.

Already seen plenty of folk in various places coming out with the usual "oh, I didn't see anything/hear anything, people are just too soft these days". Just because you didn't hear it or see it, doesn't mean it didn't happen. And given what I hear going on behind me every single game, I'm more inclined to believe Evatt, Hart and Brittan that some numpty or numpties have gone too far once too often.

Why can't we just get behind the bloody club when things don't quite go our way?
Depends what it is doesn’t it? I think it’s a fans right to express disapproval but there are clear limits on what that can be. Fans booing a substitution is part of the game. Screaming swear words is not.

In the same vein shouting at a referee who is doing their job is also often way over the line. I’ve heard people threaten referees loudly with violence on ‘their way out’ and I mean it’s just not on. We all are massively frustrated with some terrible refereeing performances but they are just doing their job. Booing is probably ok. Some of the abuse I hear about them is not.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Tue Aug 29, 2023 12:16 pm

Totally agree with all the sentiments but not heard anything (other than BWFC-I version from a couple of Burton fans) of what the incident is? So still not sure why the strong statement….

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Aug 29, 2023 12:21 pm

The other thing is a lot of people in here have called for managers like Megson, Freedman even our best post Sam manager in Parky to be sacked. They supported angry protest against Ken Anderson.

It’s a fine line to tread. Thinking a manager has made a wrong decision and shouting that loudly is possible without abuse. It’s also going to always be the case that people have different opinions. Like it or not.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Aug 29, 2023 12:24 pm

I would be surprised at this reaction from IE and the Club, to something that was clearly not "line crossing"

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Aug 29, 2023 12:30 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2023 12:24 pm
I would be surprised at this reaction from IE and the Club, to something that was clearly not "line crossing"
Oh fully agree. I mean the ‘why can’t people just support the club regardless’ stuff.

It’s clear it went well beyond the acceptable.

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bertie Wooster » Tue Aug 29, 2023 12:37 pm

I don't like SB's statement at all, there is absolutely no need for it IMO and its OTT. I can't find anything on forum's, social media etc. that's been directed at Evatt that merits this (although I'm not saying something wasn't said at Burton)

Football is an emotive game, it always has been - the sanitised version (sit down, say nowt) isn't my cup of tea. Pay us your hard earned money but don't you dare criticise anything that your not happy with. As for Hart receiving abuse, probably only on forums - surely nothing in person ?

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Aug 29, 2023 12:48 pm

If you don't know what was done/said, then it's got to be a bit tricky to work out whether it's OTT. Given we hear plenty of normal shite where they haven't responded like this, I think it's a fair bet it wasn't 'run of the mill."

There's a long way between not sitting down / saying nowt and being a right bell end...

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Aug 29, 2023 12:53 pm

Bertie Wooster wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2023 12:37 pm
I don't like SB's statement at all, there is absolutely no need for it IMO and its OTT. I can't find anything on forum's, social media etc. that's been directed at Evatt that merits this (although I'm not saying something wasn't said at Burton)

Football is an emotive game, it always has been - the sanitised version (sit down, say nowt) isn't my cup of tea. Pay us your hard earned money but don't you dare criticise anything that your not happy with. As for Hart receiving abuse, probably only on forums - surely nothing in person ?
It’s quite clear something bad happened at Burton given what Evatt said post match.

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bertie Wooster » Tue Aug 29, 2023 1:00 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2023 12:48 pm
If you don't know what was done/said, then it's got to be a bit tricky to work out whether it's OTT. Given we hear plenty of normal shite where they haven't responded like this, I think it's a fair bet it wasn't 'run of the mill."

There's a long way between not sitting down / saying nowt and being a right bell end...
It's too general a statement, it needs more detail / specifics IMO. What sort of comment could have been shouted from the stands at Burton that would deserve such a response from SB ? - and if its so bad is it ok for the manager to tell fans to f**k off (twice apparently at Burton).

Q: Can fans not now shout at players or the manager to f off at matches when when we are poor or getting beat, should they be playing really bad or the manager is making really poor subs etc ?

dave the minion
Reliable
Reliable

Post by dave the minion » Tue Aug 29, 2023 1:20 pm

Bertie Wooster wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2023 1:00 pm

Q: Can fans not now shout at players or the manager to f off at matches when when we are poor or getting beat, should they be playing really bad or the manager is making really poor subs etc ?
Sorry, do you really need to ask that?!?!

Simple answer - in case you actually nee'd it - is no. Of course it's not ok to shout at anyone to f off just for doing their job, but to aim that at our own, it's ridiculous.

Do you retularly.tell work colleagues to f off if they are a bit under par one morning????

Sorry if that makes me a soft woke snowflake (or whatever the phrase is these days..),but what sort of a society do we live in if that is a genuine sensible question????

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Tue Aug 29, 2023 1:30 pm

The other thing to pick up on is the mention of Neil Hart as well. Must be something said in his direction as well?

truewhite15
Passionate
Passionate

Post by truewhite15 » Tue Aug 29, 2023 1:35 pm

dave the minion wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2023 1:20 pm
Bertie Wooster wrote:

Simple answer - in case you actually nee'd it - is no. Of course it's not ok to shout at anyone to f off just for doing their job, but to aim that at our own, it's ridiculous.

Do you retularly.tell work colleagues to f off if they are a bit under par one morning????

Sorry if that makes me a soft woke snowflake (or whatever the phrase is these days..),but what sort of a society do we live in if that is a genuine sensible question????
This.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Aug 29, 2023 1:47 pm

dave the minion wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2023 1:20 pm
Bertie Wooster wrote:

Equally can’t do that to the referee. Or call them a *rhymes with banker* as they are also doing their job.

There is a tough line in football because it’s always hard to decide what is supporters venting their spleen as is their paid right and what crosses into abuse.

An away end singing ‘we want x out’ presumably isn’t abusive. It’s not very nice but I think you’d have problems if you said you weren’t allowing that. Or indeed ‘you don’t know what you’re doing’ or calling players rubbish…..