A Storm Brewing. Burton Albion V Bolton, Saturday Aug 26th 3 0'Clock,.

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Re: A Storm Brewing. Burton Albion V Bolton, Saturday Aug 26th 3 0'Clock,.

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Aug 29, 2023 1:59 pm

Bertie Wooster wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2023 1:00 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2023 12:48 pm
If you don't know what was done/said, then it's got to be a bit tricky to work out whether it's OTT. Given we hear plenty of normal shite where they haven't responded like this, I think it's a fair bet it wasn't 'run of the mill."

There's a long way between not sitting down / saying nowt and being a right bell end...
It's too general a statement, it needs more detail / specifics IMO. What sort of comment could have been shouted from the stands at Burton that would deserve such a response from SB ? - and if its so bad is it ok for the manager to tell fans to f**k off (twice apparently at Burton).

Q: Can fans not now shout at players or the manager to f off at matches when when we are poor or getting beat, should they be playing really bad or the manager is making really poor subs etc ?
I have no idea what comment was said. They felt it was serious enough to spend time drafting and putting out this statement. I'm sure on that basis it was unlikely to be a general "fcuk off." They have a duty of care to their employees. They'd likely much rather do something more productive with their time.

As to your question, I think there's a world of difference between everyone booing or singing "we're fcuking shit" or even saying on here, I think x is shit and will never make it as a footballer (players don't need to read what's on here) and having a direct go at individuals during the course of a match, like they have some sort of "rights to do so" because they stumped up £25 or whatever...

I suspect refs expect some "feedback" :-) in a general sense, but it's all about context for me. As a ref, I'd probably expect a bit of stick and the whole ground singing "the referee's a wanker" I'd probably not be too worried about. One person having a direct go from 10 yards away is probably more concerning..

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Aug 29, 2023 2:00 pm

I would be very surprised if the chairman felt compelled to complain about fans merely saying "Boooo" or "Rubbish". I can only assume whatever has been said crossed a line of what's acceptable, even within the feverish confines of a football stadium.

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bertie Wooster » Tue Aug 29, 2023 2:15 pm

Personal vitriolic abuse is absolutely unacceptable - however I'm talking about stuff that has gone on at every club and every ground in the country for decades

It must have been quite personal abuse to Evatt for SB to come out with this statement. I will also say it again as no one has commented - is it acceptable for Evatt to tell the fan or fans to fcuk off (if this is actually correct that he did at Burton ?).

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Aug 29, 2023 2:29 pm

Bertie Wooster wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2023 2:15 pm
Personal vitriolic abuse is absolutely unacceptable - however I'm talking about stuff that has gone on at every club and every ground in the country for decades

It must have been quite personal abuse to Evatt for SB to come out with this statement. I will also say it again as no one has commented - is it acceptable for Evatt to tell the fan or fans to fcuk off (if this is actually correct that he did at Burton ?).
If that happened as reported by Burton fans then I think it’s perfectly acceptable for Evatt to do that. He can show his visible disagreement with whatever they were saying or doing.

I guess that’s different than if he walked over pointing and started abusing someone or a section or whatever.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Aug 29, 2023 2:30 pm

Bertie Wooster wrote:

Guess for me, it comes down to the context and the provocation he was getting. If he's had 90 minutes of some pissed up dick telling him how useless he is from behind the dugout then I'm likely to be more sympathetic towards him reacting...

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Aug 29, 2023 2:35 pm

Whilst freely admitting this is 2023 and not 1960, The club had to put wire netting up between the Manny Road stand and the terraces back then to stop opposing fans saying hello (or other such friendly greetings) . I think we've moved on a bit since then. :)

Footnote...Remember the reception our players coach got when returning home though Salford in 1958? (Yes, I do) Half house bricks were not exactly verbal abuse.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bertie Wooster » Tue Aug 29, 2023 2:37 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2023 2:30 pm
Bertie Wooster wrote:

Guess for me, it comes down to the context and the provocation he was getting. If he's had 90 minutes of some pissed up dick telling him how useless he is from behind the dugout then I'm likely to be more sympathetic towards him reacting...
People who were there are saying that something was said from the Bolton seats in the side stand - no one heard any constant abuse or anything vitriolic or personal, their was apparently the odd shout questioning him etc. Perhaps he needs to be a little more thick skinned ?, is he above criticism as long as its civil & not abusive ?

It's a slippery slope once a manager starts telling fans to fcuk off, many are still very unhappy & smarting from the Wigan humiliation.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Aug 29, 2023 2:40 pm

Regardless of my dislike of Man United, I always thought it was hilarious when Gary Neville gave some back to the Scousers and they went all "ooh you can't do that, my precious feeeeelings".

I don't think it's a good look for Evatt to tell fans to f*** off (if he did), but it really depends on context.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Aug 29, 2023 2:52 pm

Bertie Wooster wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2023 2:37 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2023 2:30 pm
Bertie Wooster wrote:

People who were there are saying that something was said from the Bolton seats in the side stand - no one heard any constant abuse or anything vitriolic or personal, their was apparently the odd shout questioning him etc. Perhaps he needs to be a little more thick skinned ?, is he above criticism as long as its civil & not abusive ?

It's a slippery slope once a manager starts telling fans to fcuk off, many are still very unhappy & smarting from the Wigan humiliation.
To be clear. He's not above criticism.

It's a long while since I've done aways, but I don't recall much by way of "Gosh, gaffer, that's a strange sub and no mistake." The fact Hart got mentioned in dispatches and knowing some of our away contingent aren't overly enamoured, I'd quite frankly be stunned if the Club had written such a statement based on some fans accounts of not hearing much said...

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Tue Aug 29, 2023 6:17 pm

I was in the side stand on Saturday and didn't hear anything bad during or after the game. I can get a bit shouty during the game. "How's he feckin missed that?" in the 2nd half on Saturday in exasperation at Vics miss but not so loud and so pointedly at him that he'd have noticed.

I'd like to think I'm still brave enough to tell someone to put a sock in it if I saw them giving direct, personal abuse at Evatt or any of the players, as is being suggested that happened.

I've got to know the dad of one of our players recently and I know he's come close to losing it with one or two who have given his lad some nasty abuse.

And for the record - our best manager post Allardyce, is Ian Evatt!
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Aug 29, 2023 6:19 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2023 6:17 pm
I was in the side stand on Saturday and didn't hear anything bad during or after the game. I can get a bit shouty during the game. "How's he feckin missed that?" in the 2nd half on Saturday in exasperation at Vics miss but not so loud and so pointedly at him that he'd have noticed.

I'd like to think I'm still brave enough to tell someone to put a sock in it if I saw them giving direct, personal abuse at Evatt or any of the players, as is being suggested that happened.

I've got to know the dad of one of our players recently and I know he's come close to losing it with one or two who have given his lad some nasty abuse.

Will be when he takes us up and keeps us there…

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Tue Aug 29, 2023 6:32 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2023 6:19 pm
Harry Genshaw wrote:

Why does he have to get 2 promotions to exceed the once promoted Parky? 😃
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Aug 29, 2023 7:37 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2023 6:32 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2023 6:19 pm
Harry Genshaw wrote:

Why does he have to get 2 promotions to exceed the once promoted Parky? 😃
It’s about levels. Getting a massive club like Bolton out of L2 is not a huge achievement. Getting us into the championship in embargo and staying there with Ken leading the show was.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Aug 29, 2023 7:45 pm

£6m striker v £500k striker. Spare me.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Aug 29, 2023 7:47 pm

This debate will never be settled. Well, not unless/until Evatt gets another promotion, at which point the bar may move again...

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Aug 29, 2023 8:23 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2023 7:47 pm
This debate will never be settled. Well, not unless/until Evatt gets another promotion, at which point the bar may move again...
It's absolute bollocks. Champo club. Huge wage bill, even with some "average personnel" still Champo capable. Absolutely not the same, as much as I admired everything Parky did for us.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Aug 29, 2023 8:46 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2023 7:45 pm
£6m striker v £500k striker. Spare me.
Madine signed on a free. And every Bolton fan would have been keen to pay to get rid of him along with most of the squad that summer.

The conditions were incredibly tough that season even if we were overpaying all our players. Doesn’t make them great. And they were not,

We then stayed up with again embargo and a budget that was certainly bottom 3.