When is a Derby not a Derby? Home v The Rams Sept 2nd, 3-o'clock.

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

DJBlu
Site Admin

Re: When is a Derby not a Derby? Home v The Rams Sept 2nd, 3-o'clock.

Post by DJBlu » Sat Sep 02, 2023 6:10 pm

knobpolisher wrote:
Sat Sep 02, 2023 5:50 pm
DJBlu wrote:
Sat Sep 02, 2023 5:40 pm
Josh Sheehan was superb today btw.
Absolutely, thought he ran the show reminiscent of the late great Gary Speed.

I've tried to like Nlundulu but he and Jerome when they came on were bobbins, and that's being generous. Losing the ball I can forgive but coming on as a sub against a tired team and not tracking back is scandalous.
I thought Jerome was decent at the back for the flurry of set peices at the end.

Nlundlu, the less said the better.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Sep 02, 2023 6:12 pm

The_Gun wrote:
Sat Sep 02, 2023 5:55 pm
nicholaldo wrote:
Sat Sep 02, 2023 5:52 pm
Could we have stumbled upon a winning formula in having Thomason and Sheehan together?
Thomason did his usual - worked hard and played some nice passes, but also made some bad mistakes and got booked.

Sheehan and Dempsey are definitely in our best XI, but the other slot remains up for grabs.
Not sure how far your tongue's in your cheek there, but it's true. Today was Tomo's fifth start and he has been booked in all of them – the midweek cup game and four league games. So I guess we will soon find out if suspensions are comp-specific...

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Sep 02, 2023 6:35 pm

I think it’s all about the result. We won. Further to that we deserved it. And it was good to see us recover from undeservedly going behind.

We played Derby off the park at times.

The only issue I have is the crazy subs Evatt made put us under real pressure at the end after we completely lost a grip on the game. Mendes Gomes to a position he’s never played before seriously unbalanced us. Then Jerome and Nlundulu….it’s impossible to say anything good about them….and Derby were handed the initiative. The final kick of the game I think we might have got away with one they probably should have scored. Need to see that again.

However we won. We looked more balanced in midfield. I disagree massively with Thomason criticism. I thought he allowed Sheehan to play. Without Thomason the midfield is too passive. All round we played well. Again it’s a question of doing more with the possession we have. Too much straight ball into strikers who can’t do anything with it. Too many times we fail to make the correct decision round the edge of the box. But still. I think once we equalised it was a draw at worst, regardless of the red.

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bertie Wooster » Sat Sep 02, 2023 6:37 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Sat Sep 02, 2023 6:06 pm
Lovely 3 points but the same concerns for me. A really good side would have scored 3 or 4 today and made for a far more chilled 8 minutes of injury time.
Evatt's substitutions baffled me again today, decent performance and we were the better team (with a friendly ref for once !), his substitutions stopped any momentum & WTF was that playing CMG at RWB (Sadlier mk2). Very important 3 points to take the pressure off Evatt, but dear me Victor & Dan are poor, if we had a proper decent striking partner for Charles we would easily have had 3 or 4 today, they both look like competition winners.

Sheehan, Dempsey & Toal played really well,

Very good 3 points though.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Sep 02, 2023 6:38 pm

DJBlu wrote:
Sat Sep 02, 2023 6:10 pm
knobpolisher wrote:
Sat Sep 02, 2023 5:50 pm
DJBlu wrote:
Sat Sep 02, 2023 5:40 pm
Josh Sheehan was superb today btw.
Absolutely, thought he ran the show reminiscent of the late great Gary Speed.

I've tried to like Nlundulu but he and Jerome when they came on were bobbins, and that's being generous. Losing the ball I can forgive but coming on as a sub against a tired team and not tracking back is scandalous.
I thought Jerome was decent at the back for the flurry of set peices at the end.

Nlundlu, the less said the better.
The thing is Jerome does effectively come on as an extra defender but that felt unnecessary today in the circumstances.

Nlundulu - you can excuse ability to an extent it’s not his fault we paid for him. But a lack of effort is not excusable.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Sep 02, 2023 6:39 pm

Bertie Wooster wrote:
Sat Sep 02, 2023 6:37 pm
Harry Genshaw wrote:
Sat Sep 02, 2023 6:06 pm
Lovely 3 points but the same concerns for me. A really good side would have scored 3 or 4 today and made for a far more chilled 8 minutes of injury time.
Evatt's substitutions baffled me again today, decent performance and we were the better team (with a friendly ref for once !), his substitutions stopped any momentum & WTF was that playing CMG at RWB (Sadlier mk2). Very important 3 points to take the pressure off Evatt, but dear me Victor & Dan are poor, if we had a proper decent striking partner for Charles we would easily have had 3 or 4 today, they both look like competition winners.

Sheehan, Dempsey & Toal played really well,

Very good 3 points though.
Vic was stupid for the penalty. Not his best game at all. But the gap between him and the two that came on is monumentally wide.

sonicthewhite
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by sonicthewhite » Sat Sep 02, 2023 6:40 pm

I've got a Derby supporting mate who was there today. Once he's calmed down I'll poke him for an opinion :D
Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!

And the key to a result is a good :kettle:

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Sep 02, 2023 6:50 pm

sonicthewhite wrote:
Sat Sep 02, 2023 6:40 pm
I've got a Derby supporting mate who was there today. Once he's calmed down I'll poke him for an opinion :D
Typical Warne side. I think they are the best from set plays I’ve seen. Not much in open play.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Sep 02, 2023 7:09 pm

Evatt.
I think it was an excellent performance. It was the first time we have shown our dominance against a direct competitor. We started exactly how we should have done, but didn’t, in the Wigan game.

We were front foot, we were aggressive, we won duels, we played with tempo and we had them penned in for large periods.

We conceded a goal and it would have been easy for the players to feel sorry for ourselves, it would have been easy for fans in the stadium to feel sorry for themselves but I think the way the majority backed the players today, it was rocking. We went behind and it lifted them immediately. We got ourselves back in the game and I thought it was a deserved three points in the end.

We have a job to do with the supporters to lift them off their seats, and likewise, when things go against us as they did today, they can help the players recover. It is a mutual thing. Today the togetherness was there for all to see. And when we are like that, as a unit, the players, fans, staff, everyone else, we are a tough team to play against. I thought the way we controlled the ball and managed the game was excellent.

The sending off perhaps didn’t help us because they sacrificed attack until the last five minutes and people are screaming for crosses to be put in, and crosses, but it is very tough against set defences when I think their smallest player is about 6ft 3ins. We are not built for that so we have to pick our way through and find a way. Thankfully we got the goal we needed and the last five minutes was a bit edgy, probably because of the last few weeks. I am delighted we managed that spell and got three points, so on to the next one.

Huge spells of the game we were dominant, with 10 and 11, but we do need to understand what type of team we are and what type of team they are too. Football is about playing to your strengths and hiding your deficiencies. Their strengths are being physical, dominant, they are strong at set pieces and crosses, and they were always going to put us under pressure under those scenarios.

When we have the ball and move the opposition we are a tough team to play against as well. Every team has an identity and I thought the way we played to our own was very good.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Sep 02, 2023 7:34 pm

Next, Posh. Onwards.

irie Cee Bee
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by irie Cee Bee » Sat Sep 02, 2023 7:35 pm

I said we would play well against Derby and we did. We are a good side. However, we need another Thomasson in the team. It is clear that when he comes off, the middle gets soft. A lot on here are not giving him the credit for the role he plays, only recognizing when he makes a bad pass. His work rate, tackling and passing range makes him a very important player for us. Others managers see it. its time we recognize it ourselves.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Sep 02, 2023 7:51 pm

irie Cee Bee wrote:
Sat Sep 02, 2023 7:35 pm
I said we would play well against Derby and we did. We are a good side. However, we need another Thomasson in the team. It is clear that when he comes off, the middle gets soft. A lot on here are not giving him the credit for the role he plays, only recognizing when he makes a bad pass. His work rate, tackling and passing range makes him a very important player for us. Others managers see it. its time we recognize it ourselves.
Yeah indeed. This. Thomason lets Sheehan play. I think we look better with Thomason at 6 than without.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sat Sep 02, 2023 8:24 pm

Well old George is going to be missing a few games with his card count!

I’m so pleased we came from behind today - feels important.

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Sat Sep 02, 2023 8:29 pm

Thomason was impressive today. I think the only criticism was his working with Santos on shooting today, but that's so far from the norm, that is to be expected I guess. His shooting was improved and wasn't just snatching at shots. His booking was a bit harsh, but once the referee had decided to book one player he seemed adamant at making sure the bookings were evenly distributed as neither party really seemed to be at fault.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sat Sep 02, 2023 8:49 pm

Despite all the possession, them being down to 10 and us frequently getting into good areas, we just didn't work their sub keeper enough. A couple of soft shots from Thomasson and Toal, did he have an actual shot to save in that 2nd half?

I get that crosses into the box against a large, physical, well drilled defence aren't going to yield much success but doesn't that mean, we need to work it quicker, get behind them and turn those lumpen centre backs so they're facing their own goal? That slow build up, walk into their half just means we're facing a wall of 11 players.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sat Sep 02, 2023 8:53 pm

And without wishing to sound like a negative nelly - Josh Sheehan was outstanding, in fact the midfield 3 were all on it today.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Sep 02, 2023 9:47 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Sat Sep 02, 2023 8:49 pm
Despite all the possession, them being down to 10 and us frequently getting into good areas, we just didn't work their sub keeper enough. A couple of soft shots from Thomasson and Toal, did he have an actual shot to save in that 2nd half?

I get that crosses into the box against a large, physical, well drilled defence aren't going to yield much success but doesn't that mean, we need to work it quicker, get behind them and turn those lumpen centre backs so they're facing their own goal? That slow build up, walk into their half just means we're facing a wall of 11 players.
I mean I thought down to ten we got it right. Move them about work positions for deliveries. At times execution was the issue more than a plan. Crowd screaming shoot at santos any ridiculous moment didn’t help tbh.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Sep 02, 2023 9:54 pm

Had to laugh at this from Warne:

"we tried to make it a 15-minute game at the end when we went full agricultural soccer to try to cause mayhem." :mrgreen:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

truewhite15
Passionate
Passionate

Post by truewhite15 » Sat Sep 02, 2023 10:05 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Sep 02, 2023 9:47 pm
Harry Genshaw wrote:

I mean I thought down to ten we got it right. Move them about work positions for deliveries. At times execution was the issue more than a plan. Crowd screaming shoot at santos any ridiculous moment didn’t help tbh.
I agree with Insano. :shock:

I think there were some moments where we could have benefitted from pulling the trigger a bit quicker, admittedly. But shooting aimlessly into a wall of players gets nobody anywhere.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sat Sep 02, 2023 10:17 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Sep 02, 2023 9:47 pm
Harry Genshaw wrote:
Despite all the possession, them being down to 10 and us frequently getting into good areas, we just didn't work their sub keeper enough. A couple of soft shots from Thomasson and he have an actual shot to save in that 2nd half?

Yes, execution was the issue. Either several touches too many or not crossing at the best time. Agree with the Santos thing, watching the other games on the box, it appears that "shoooot" is going on up and down the country.
Perhaps it's just better decision-making tgats needed through the team.

Nobody wants us shooting every time we're close to the box but we'll not score many without getting a few more off than we are doing.