When is a Derby not a Derby? Home v The Rams Sept 2nd, 3-o'clock.

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

When is a Derby not a Derby? Home v The Rams Sept 2nd, 3-o'clock.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Aug 30, 2023 10:43 pm

Early start to give you plenty time to answer. One of the clubs with a bigger ground capacity then the Toughsheet stadium when they're at home (not this week) . A tough one to win, but winnable if we play the game. So, get at it then, how do we solve it? .... :Jedi:

ae:)
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

truewhite15
Passionate
Passionate

Re: When is a Derby not a Derby? Home v The Rams Sept 2nd, 3-o'clock.

Post by truewhite15 » Thu Aug 31, 2023 12:08 am

Baxter back in goal, JDC and Williams restored to wing back. Same back three as vs Boro - maybe Jones in for Iredale. Thomason and Sheehan as the 6/8s, Dempsey in for Morley, Vic in for CMG.

BorsdaneWhite
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by BorsdaneWhite » Thu Aug 31, 2023 8:04 am

Bit of a bogey team, aren’t they. I remember the away game last season: they were so far superior it was almost laughable.

We seem to start really well at home. I think back to that penalty shout for Sheehan in the first 10 against Wigan. I don’t know how convincing it was, but I wonder how things would have gone if we’d have gone 1-up.

We need Maghoma to start clicking to get through a strong midfield press. I’d be tempted to play him, Sheehan, and Demps as the 3. The rest sort of picks itself.

Not a game for profligacy in front of goal. Vic and Mob need to fire. S’do it.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Aug 31, 2023 9:06 am

Gosh I’m worried by this one, it’s come around at the worst possible time.

Really need a result. Think it’s a tight call between Thomason, Morley, Maghoma and Sheehan to be honest.

Here is my issue. Sheehan clearly is the best at getting us playing. But he’s also the worst at disappearing when a team really steps onto us. Morley is a bit more robust but can’t cover the ground. Maghoma I like the look of but I still am not sure whether he is a 6/8 yet for us given the fact he’s learning the off the ball game. Thomason does the most to disrupt the opponents but also gives it away more…

I’m half tempted to say Morley at 6 and then Maghoma and Dempsey as 8’s for this one. I think that might offer the better balance but we will see.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Thu Aug 31, 2023 9:59 am

I'd go for as much solidity and speed through the middle

Thomason
Maghoma - Dempsey

Charles and Adeboyejo up top
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Aug 31, 2023 10:47 am

Have to say that despite my usual optimism, I'm worried for this one. Warne seems to have the better of Evatt; we are in a slump (with some caveats to the last two games, but it's a fact we're winless in three); and there's a divided mood developing around the club. Long-term, I perhaps worry the most about the latter; this is a key week that could have gone several ways, but cup defeat followed by underwhelming window-close followed by home league defeat would - and I'm aware there's two multiplied conditionals there - would not be the harbinger of a happy autumn.

Team-wise - midfield I just dunno; maybe we start with the hard workers and bring Sheehan on later? Wingbacks we *still* have very little choice. Centre-backs will be interesting. Up front I would reinstate Adeboyejo because he's our second-best bet to bag, even if he's only scored in one of his last five appearances. I would also like Dion to dismantle my fear that he doesn't often score against the better teams.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Thu Aug 31, 2023 11:39 am

Dunno. Dion bagged against Sunderland who went up, then last season Plymouth, Barnsley (2 games), and Peterborough

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Aug 31, 2023 11:42 am

boltonboris wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2023 11:39 am
Dunno. Dion bagged against Sunderland who went up, then last season Plymouth, Barnsley (2 games), and Peterborough
Yeah I’m not that worried about Dion. He is though not a ‘natural finisher’ which means he does miss some big chances. See second half Vs Boro. These tend to stand out against better teams more simply because obviously there is a greater chance these moments are pivotal or critical to the end result.

Bottom line if he scored everything he’d have been long gone by now.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Aug 31, 2023 11:52 am

boltonboris wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2023 11:39 am
In 21/22, Dion bagged against Sunderland who collapsed, sacked their manager and sneaked up. He bagged in a 6-0 which was utterly delightful but also utterly out of character for us in that season when we repeatedly banged out head on a glass ceiling against the better teams – vs top 7 we were W1 D3 L10.

Peterborough (two pens) was last season's Sunderland equivalent, but at least we lost fewer games against the top 7 (W3 D5 L4). Dion got a pen at Barnsley in the league and then, fair enough, the goal in the play-offs. But he didn't score in either league game against Ipswich (1pt from 6), Plymouth (1/6) or Sheff Wed (1/6), nor Derby (0/6). In big games, you need your big players to do their job; his is, by his admission, to score goals.

IDK. It's like the old "Liverpool never lose when Ian Rush scores" thing - you could easily reply that when they lose he hasn't scored.

For clarity, I think Dion is a brilliant striker for us, epecially in this league, and I will be absolutely bloody delighted if he smashes hom at 5 past 3 on Saturday. If he does, we might go on to win big, as we did those times against Posh, Sunderland and at Wembley. If he doesn't, though, it can make the difference.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Aug 31, 2023 12:37 pm

I'm nervous of this game, especially should we not acquit ourselves well combined with "not enough acceptable signings." Then we have Posh just around the corner and it doesn't take much to set football fans off (even if they're likely in a current minority)

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Thu Aug 31, 2023 12:53 pm

Yeah need a win really. But fear the Warne factor - he’s had Evatt beat every time.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Aug 31, 2023 12:56 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2023 12:37 pm
I'm nervous of this game, especially should we not acquit ourselves well combined with "not enough acceptable signings." Then we have Posh just around the corner and it doesn't take much to set football fans off (even if they're likely in a current minority)
Worth remembering we held Boro to a draw for ninety minutes and they only won in extra time. I think we may edge this one. I'd start Bod with Charles if they're going to come at us. We have a few options up front to bring a fresh striker on later..
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Aug 31, 2023 1:45 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2023 12:56 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2023 12:37 pm
Worth remembering we held Boro to a draw for ninety minutes and they only won in extra time. I think we may edge this one. I'd start Bod with Charles if they're going to come at us. We have a few options up front to bring a fresh striker on later..
On our day, we're very capable, TD. The problem isn't where our top level is, it's where our average is...I'm not saying we can't beat Derby, just wondering whether we shall and noting that a couple of poor results combined with a perceived lack of quality signings in some quarters might start to head the season South, pretty quickly... :-)

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Thu Aug 31, 2023 2:29 pm

We've been streaky since Parkinson. Go on 5-6 game winning streaks, then 5-6 without a win. I sincerely hope, we can come out winners in what should be a really good, even contest

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Aug 31, 2023 3:29 pm

boltonboris wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2023 2:29 pm
We've been streaky since Parkinson. Go on 5-6 game winning streaks, then 5-6 without a win. I sincerely hope, we can come out winners in what should be a really good, even contest
I think we’ve been streaky since Allardyce. We had loads of great runs followed by 5 defeats in a row type things.

The thing I think now is we can’t afford streaky. When we lose we really need to shake it off and just go on another run.

The thing I’d say with Evatt sides is you can often sort of just ‘feel it in the air’ when we are going to have a difficult run and I think the Fleetwood game almost foretold what was to come next. Everything was going our way then Charles gets a red and we look a bit shaky and suddenly it implodes.

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Thu Aug 31, 2023 3:36 pm

This game can fall by the wayside for me. I think it's the first time in the league this season that we can consider ourselves second favourites so if we don't get anything I think that'd be a shame but not season killing.

For me it's how we deal with the teams we've not been able to see off previously, those at the bottom of the table.

Sure we should be able to perform better against the top teams but let's not get too upset if we don't get anything this weekend. Pressure should be somewhat off against Middlesbrough and expectation lowered against Derby. Taking a point isn't as upsetting as taking a point against Burton.

Ideally we could do with the likes of CMG coming good. I've little expectation for Nlundulu and Jerome, so anything turning around expectation is a boost there.

Hopefully Toal is back for good and it'd be nice to see Bod back.

Maybe a case for Bod, Vic and Charles starting up top. 20 min cameos for Bod hasn't yet got him into the game and from what I remember he's a good battler so that Kane esque role may suit him well.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Thu Aug 31, 2023 3:39 pm

We'll never see that BWFCI!

I'd like to see JDB possibly start - Strikers are usually shite coming off the bench and I think he's probably the best of the lot with his feet and with his back to goal

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Aug 31, 2023 3:44 pm

Mar wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2023 3:36 pm
This game can fall by the wayside for me. I think it's the first time in the league this season that we can consider ourselves second favourites so if we don't get anything I think that'd be a shame but not season killing.

For me it's how we deal with the teams we've not been able to see off previously, those at the bottom of the table.

Sure we should be able to perform better against the top teams but let's not get too upset if we don't get anything this weekend. Pressure should be somewhat off against Middlesbrough and expectation lowered against Derby. Taking a point isn't as upsetting as taking a point against Burton.

Ideally we could do with the likes of CMG coming good. I've little expectation for Nlundulu and Jerome, so anything turning around expectation is a boost there.

Hopefully Toal is back for good and it'd be nice to see Bod back.

Maybe a case for Bod, Vic and Charles starting up top. 20 min cameos for Bod hasn't yet got him into the game and from what I remember he's a good battler so that Kane esque role may suit him well.
The aim is to finish in the top two. Every game has to be seen as one we need to win, especially home games.

Having lost to Wigan and drawn at Burton realistically this needs to be a win. I doubt you will find too many sides who go up in this league who lose two out of their first four home games regardless of who they play.

Suggesting we are underdogs is wrong I think it’s two sides who will both be under expectation to finish in the top two playing each other. Generally last season we didn’t do that well in these sorts of games and after Wigan it’s vital we show that this season isn’t going to be a repeat.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Aug 31, 2023 4:12 pm

It has been noted several times that we have 10pts from 5 games, which extrapolates to 92 pts – almost certainly automatic promotion pace.

10pts from 6 games extrapolates to 76pts, which last season didn't reach the playoffs.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Aug 31, 2023 4:25 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2023 4:12 pm
It has been noted several times that we have 10pts from 5 games, which extrapolates to 92 pts – almost certainly automatic promotion pace.

10pts from 6 games extrapolates to 76pts, which last season didn't reach the playoffs.
Well yeah. I don’t like it when Evatt starts with the defensive noises. It shows he believes we are struggling. And PPG at this stage can vary wildly.

The stuff about win percentages too is also a bit ‘pointless’ as I mean he’s managed Bolton at the lowest level and only shares that accolade with Phil Neal.

So far I don’t think the start is suggestive of a team that’s going to take the top two by storm and whilst the league will settle and we will know more I’d say that if you lose two home games in the first couple of months you are probably unlikely to be knocking on the door of the automatics.

It does feel a weaker league to me. It does feel like if we are ever going to get out of it with Evatt it’s probably this year. But I question whether we have the right mix of component parts. I fear the Wigan game was not some one off but more a warning as to what we need to add if we really want to be there or thereabouts.