The Champions Go Again! FLT at Home v Salford Sept 5th, 7:45

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Re: The Champions Go Again! FLT at Home v Salford Sept 5th, 7:45

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Sep 05, 2023 10:07 pm

Generally very dominant performance. Hopefully CMG knock isn’t too bad but wasn’t happy. Midfield was superb to watch. Wing backs a class above and they never troubled us till we decided to have a rest at the end.

The problem is the strikers. Bod looks like his injuries might have caught up with him. Lacked zip and looked rather like Jerome a bit old. Nlundulu would not be out of place in a pub 11 and even then I suspect would struggle. I think he might win the award for the worst cash signing I’ve ever seen play for us.

Feels like we really lack quality back up up front.

Matheson was encouraging but early days. Forester will be a very good player.

Have to keep Vic and Dion fit at all costs.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Sep 05, 2023 10:09 pm

sonicthewhite wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2023 9:44 pm
I'd have liked to have seen Khumbeni get some game time instead of Thommo to see what level he's at.
Yeah, this – seems a shame not to.

Lovely to win and more evidence that Forrester looks the part – although he's in a crowded queue.

Great to get CMG on the scoresheet, slightly concerning that he faded and was subbed. Maghoma seemed to be involved in everything, hope it gives him confidence. Same with Morley and his goal.

On the down side, though, none of the four forwards scored against a League Two side. Doesn't sound much like Bod and Dan were that close, and their two replacements also drew blanks. Adeboyejo scored on the opening day, but he's now only scored in one of his seven appearances since – a hat-trick, which was great, but is starting to look more outlier than pattern.

Harsh, that, but I'll be happier when he scores again.

Well done to Matheson.

irie Cee Bee
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by irie Cee Bee » Tue Sep 05, 2023 10:25 pm

Took control early over an inferior opponent then went into cruise management. Loved the way we dominated in midfield where Morely and Maghoma in particular dominated. Evatt can make Maghoma a better player by helping him to not panic when trying to shoot near or in the 18 yrd. box, and also teaching him how to tackle effectively. Nice goal by CMG but he also has some learning to do on how to play central midfield. He was continuously running, up and down the field in midfield after scoring the wonder goal, and naturally his legs went after 30 mins. He should learn to pace and walk in midfield at times when the team is knocking it around so that he lasts longer.

You have all said it all about our strikers and I am in total agreement. I wanted DadBod and Dan to do well but (sigh), they are not up to it at the moment. In fact, it would appear that Jerome is our 3rd Choice behind Charles and Vic based on how much better he is playing that the other two. Anyway, its early days and I hope they all come good.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Tue Sep 05, 2023 10:40 pm

Enjoyed that. Should have been 5 up at half time, one of the most one sided half's of football at the Reebok that I can remember. 2nd half was more us, lots of great openings and opportunities but very few shots and several poor choices and touches around the box.

I've been willing Dan to come good but it's just not happening is it? If we can find 300k down the back of the sofa at Xmas, get JCH in.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Tue Sep 05, 2023 10:46 pm

Not often I watch the game in shorts but today was super comfortable weather wise, and just like the performance, super comfortable.

Easy night for Baxter, don't think Evatt was expecting it to be that easy otherwise Hutchinson would've probably got a run out.

Surprised to see us going as strong as we did but I'm glad as it was a good result.

As for people giving Nlundulu grief I thought he played well. All heading the wrong way and linking up play but decent non the less. Nice to see him giving a fan his kit aswell at the end. He's frustrating and useful at the same time, but same could be said about a few of our players so I wouldn't read too much into that.

Wasn't sure if it was offside for the fourth.

Matheson looked decent coverage, could do with some fine tuning for offering himself for the odd one two but there's enough there to think he'll be able to contribute.

Anyways a great finish by CMG is worth the entry fee and a nice way to break for international week.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Tue Sep 05, 2023 11:02 pm

We might have made an error in letting Kachunga go!

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Sep 06, 2023 7:11 am

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2023 10:40 pm
Enjoyed that. Should have been 5 up at half time, one of the most one sided half's of football at the Reebok that I can remember. 2nd half was more us, lots of great openings and opportunities but very few shots and several poor choices and touches around the box.

I've been willing Dan to come good but it's just not happening is it? If we can find 300k down the back of the sofa at Xmas, get JCH in.
It's a shame that after our fourth three-goal haul of the season's opening nine games, a relatively unproductive second half should be "more us' - sad but, ironically, accurate...

It will be interesting to see how much Posh want for JCH in summer. Clearly nobody found this guaranteed goal machine worth the tag this window; he's in the last year of his contract – that's why he's listed, it's what Posh do - so his value *has* to come down. But then, if he's scored 10 for them by then, do they abandon their principles? I imagine they've done so before.

Still think JCH would unbalance the team by not pressing. But something's gotta change up front. Again, sad that that's a takeaway from a strong game in a win-strewn start, but it's the international break, we're nine games in (albeit only six league games) and patterns start to emerge. I'm not prone to "anyone who disagrees with me must be sent to a re-education facility" but I dare say we would all agree that the strikers' department has to improve, even if we differ on how that might occur.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Sep 06, 2023 7:38 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2023 7:11 am
Harry Genshaw wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2023 10:40 pm

It's a shame that after our fourth three-goal haul of the season's opening nine games, a relatively unproductive second half should be "more us' - sad but, ironically, accurate...

It will be interesting to see how much Posh want for JCH in summer. Clearly nobody found this guaranteed goal machine worth the tag this window; he's in the last year of his contract – that's why he's listed, it's what Posh do - so his value *has* to come down. But then, if he's scored 10 for them by then, do they abandon their principles? I imagine they've done so before.

Still think JCH would unbalance the team by not pressing. But something's gotta change up front. Again, sad that that's a takeaway from a strong game in a win-strewn start, but it's the international break, we're nine games in (albeit only six league games) and patterns start to emerge. I'm not prone to "anyone who disagrees with me must be sent to a re-education facility" but I dare say we would all agree that the strikers' department has to improve, even if we differ on how that might occur.
The thing is that if we’d signed a younger spriteley sort who maybe wasn’t going to score loads but would work the channels and make stuff happen for Charles I think we’d be better off. Jerome, Dad Bod and Nlundulu are all very sad things - Dad Bod may come back because he has the talent but right now he’s just sad to watch. Vic isn’t entirely convincing all the time either but clearly is the only viable option with Charles right now.

We don’t even need a goals machine just a striker who can run, who has some sort of touch and can play intelligently with Charles.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Sep 06, 2023 8:41 am

I think whilst it's going OK, we're fine. We've scored three, four times this season. Not many teams will have done that. I don't have a major problem with no striker goals but three from MF/Set piece etc.

I think the problem is none of the three you mention look particularly likely at the moment and in a 0-0 after 60 mins, I doubt many are shouting "get Dan on" (or Bod or Jerome). When they have come on, the game's typically been settled one way or another...

As for JCH, I'm not convinced Evatt would take him on a free...

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Wed Sep 06, 2023 8:46 am

Hopefully JDB will get back to speed soon - he missed some pre season. Jerome should be more of a threat given the career he’s had so in a way he’s the most disappointing. Big Dan looks like 3rd choice - let’s hope we can get through to January without any injuries to the other two and loan someone, at which point we may well try and loan Dan to league two or whatever, although I would have swapped him for Salfords sub striker last night who looked more dangerous!

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Wed Sep 06, 2023 8:50 am

Does JDB just look rusty, or are we thinking he might be perma-crocked?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Sep 06, 2023 9:11 am

The_Gun wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2023 8:50 am
Does JDB just look rusty, or are we thinking he might be perma-crocked?
Rusty, but there was for me a worrying thought that whilst he was never quick, he looked incredibly slow last night. And we’ve all seen it injuries at that sort of age just taking a fraction off a players speed that they never get back. Some adapt. But I think in an Evatt team it’s hard to imagine how given how we demand the strikers play. It’s why for me Jerome is a bust. He’d be fine if we were just playing into him. But the way we play he’s just not suitable for anymore.

I’m a massive fan of JDB so it’s not easy to say but I did last night worry that he might have just reached that point where age and injuries catch up with him. I hope not - I really like him as a player.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Wed Sep 06, 2023 9:20 am

Some good football played and looked like we could score whenever we had the ball. Salford's midfield non-existent when they were out of possession and Maghoma just ran through them time and time again. He played well. If he can add goals to his game, he's a premier league player in the making

Iredale was poor defensively. Turned his back on players and was caught too far wide, then too narrow etc and they worked him in the second half. Good on the ball, except for one horror pass in the second half though. He's upgradeable for sure and I think he's playing his way out of the team.

JD looked very rusty and was blowing in the second half, but continued to press and harrie as well as he could. Good workout for him and the way they passed the ball around the defence probably did him the world of good

Thomasson looked good when he came on.

Jerome a real concern. To say he looks past it, is an understatement. Ball bouncing off him, losing duels to much smaller and slighter players. Passing and shooting just way off. One nice volleyed pull back for Adeboyejo aside, he's finished and we're better off changing shape, or playing a kid instead

Overall, a league above our opposition and really could have been 5, or 6
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Sep 06, 2023 9:28 am

Agree with all what Boris said up there except for the fact that Iredale who is clearly struggling for me is a good player who has only played this role since this season so will take time to adapt. I’d give him some time…not necessarily in the team. But I do think he’s a decent player.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Wed Sep 06, 2023 9:31 am

Yeah nothing against Jack, but if we look at Forrester and Toal, he's behind them for me. He's played this position a lot I believe and played more LCB than LWB at Cambridge (I may be wrong. I usually am)
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Sep 06, 2023 9:59 am

boltonboris wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2023 9:31 am
Yeah nothing against Jack, but if we look at Forrester and Toal, he's behind them for me. He's played this position a lot I believe and played more LCB than LWB at Cambridge (I may be wrong. I usually am)
I thought this as well but there was an interview with him a couple of weeks ago where he said "I've only played this position about four times" - I'll see if I can dig it out.

EDIT and here 'tis: https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/2 ... cup-clash/
I really enjoy that position [LCB]. I think it suits me, to be honest. I can play a number of positions across that backline. I know I have played there every game this season but I think I am still learning that position. I have probably played 10 games in my whole career in the left of a back three, so every game I am going to get better. I feel confident in that position. Sometimes I am trying things that aren’t coming off but I am never going to stop trying things. I am going back myself and I think I will get the rewards from it.
To me his skillset suits LCB better than LB or LWB but we'll see. We certainly have strong competition for the back three now. Against certain oppo, the vice-captain's place may be under threat...

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Wed Sep 06, 2023 10:17 am

Toal should be the default starter at RCB for me, DSB. I think he's one of our best players, and whilst Geth has been an admirable servant for our club, we look a much more solid outfit with Eoin at the back.
Last edited by The_Gun on Wed Sep 06, 2023 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Sep 06, 2023 10:24 am

The_Gun wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2023 10:17 am
Toal should be the default starter at RCB for me, DSB. I think he's on of our best players, and whilst Geth has been an admirable servant for our club, we look a much more solid outfit with Eoin at the back.
Toal needs to play because he’s superb. And his reading of the game and height mean we are better covered defensively.

Jones has been out of form but is showing signs of ‘playing himself back in’ and when he does for me starts because he offers that dynamism back to front that the rest do not. He makes the over and under lapping runs that our system demands of the wide centre halves.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Sep 06, 2023 10:29 am

Iredale has played mostly as a conventional LB. Barely touched wing back or centre back before coming here. So it will be an adjustment. I don’t think he’s a wing back but can be a good LCB but the parts of his game he is learning are the more centre half aspects of the role. I think he will get there. It’s almost all positional and he can learn that. He is dragged out wide too early sometimes then overcompensates the other way leaving space.

The only thing I’d question is pace. He’s not the quickest and for high centre backs he could get caught out there.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Sep 06, 2023 10:37 am

Agree with a lot of what's been said (though I only saw the second half). Surely looking at his skillset Iredale is an LCB, but he's still learning it. Toal was fantastic their the other day so it's him at LCB and Geth or Forrester (who looks a player) at RCB. Still Geth's shirt but good to have the competition.

Maghoma looks excellent and is knocking on the door too.

The forwards are a worry. Nothing last night changed my mind that we have a clear front two and none of the other three look promising.

It's not just worthy's point about where do you look to for a goal at 0-0. Given the system and the press Evatt changes both strikers pretty much every single game. And the drop off is huge. As it stands, we're going to be playing ~25% of our minutes with a L2 strike force.

Dad will improve. I get the worries but he's missed so much football and it takes time to get back into it. The other two I'm not so sure. Jerome's touch was never good. And Dan. Oh Dan.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.