The Champions Go Again! FLT at Home v Salford Sept 5th, 7:45

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Mar
Icon
Icon

The Champions Go Again! FLT at Home v Salford Sept 5th, 7:45

Post by Mar » Sun Sep 03, 2023 3:47 pm

The FLT is back!

This cup has been predominantly a happy hunting time for Evatt and the club with an impressive record in recent seasons:

20-21: W1D0L2 F6A7 - Out in the group stages
21-22: W4D0L1 F11A4 - Out in last 16 to a Dixon nightmare mistake
22-23: W7D1L0 F21A5 - Winners

Hopefully more of the same coming into this tournament. No one has ever successfully retained this trophy, so we've got the chance to be the first.

Last time we played Salford was in the cup where we came away 5-1 victors that time with Kachunga, Bodvarsson, Sadlier, Bradley and Afolayan on the scoresheet. The squad that day has changed significantly since with only 3 players available from that day (Jones, Thomason and Bodvarsson).

I suspect we're likely to see a strong lineup, with a youth player or two on the bench. Those looking to stake a starting place, the likes of CMG, Nlundulu and Forrester i'd suspect will be shoe ins for starting, whilst its a toss up between whether we'll see Bodvarsson or Jerome making a start.

Man Utd U21s currently lead the group with a penalty win being the dividing factor between them and Stockport, who sit on one point. Man Utd U21s just beat Stoke U21s 10-1, make of that what you will.

The big question will be whether we see our backup goalkeeper making an appearance. Coleman's been injured and missing with big questions being raised, leaving the likes of Hutchinson coming into consideration.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Re: The Champions Go Again! FLT at Home v Salford Sept 5th, 7:45

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Sep 03, 2023 3:59 pm

It's a Pizza cake v a banana-split since Papa John cashed his chips in. E.F.L now, but as defending champs we can't pretend disinterest or take it too lightly. Wipe the floor with the Salfordians. COME ON YOU WHITES.... 3-0.

ae:)
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Sep 03, 2023 4:14 pm

Weirdly looking forward to this - for some reason I like a ludicrously early cup game. Maybe it's the selection possibilities.

GK – unless Coleman's magically recovered, it'll have to be Baxter. Hutchinson was last month loaned to a team in Division Seven, which doesn't suggest urgent readiness.

CB: Surely a start for Forrester, who started both League Cup games and has been on every other bench. Moreover, with Toal back (and Iredale presumably not being out too long) Forrester's now down to fifth choice, so he'll be gagging for this opportunity. Alongside him - it depends who's medically safe to play from Rico (just back from injury), Iredale (out on Sat) and Gethin (started every game bar Barrow, second-most minutes after JDC).

WB: Ashworth on the left. On the right, maaaaaaybe Matheson. Perhaps JDC will start - he was subbed earlyish on Saturday. Maybe Gethin will get a go. We're thin out there. I've said my piece.

MID: Mendes Gomes needs the minutes (only two starts so far) and so does Maghoma (three starts). So too does Morley (unused at Burton, 87th-minute entry v Derby). That's a decent midfield trio that should do for Salford, right?

CF: Given 14 minutes at Burton, Bodvarsson has been an unused sub three successive times as Evatt preferred Nlundulu and Jerome. That might suggest Dan & Cam as the starting forward line but I would suggest Bod needs the minutes more and would pair him with Dan – surely there's nothing more to learn about Jerome now?

Some of the first-choicers will have to be on the bench - we have a thin squad. Maybe one or two kids in case it's a cakewalk, but who? Trevon Bryan has impressed, but we have 5/6 strikers. Matheson? Khumbeni?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Sep 03, 2023 4:48 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Sun Sep 03, 2023 4:14 pm
Weirdly looking forward to this - for some reason I like a ludicrously early cup game. Maybe it's the selection possibilities.

GK – unless Coleman's magically recovered, it'll have to be Baxter. Hutchinson was last month loaned to a team in Division Seven, which doesn't suggest urgent readiness.

CB: Surely a start for Forrester, who started both League Cup games and has been on every other bench. Moreover, with Toal back (and Iredale presumably not being out too long) Forrester's now down to fifth choice, so he'll be gagging for this opportunity. Alongside him - it depends who's medically safe to play from Rico (just back from injury), Iredale (out on Sat) and Gethin (started every game bar Barrow, second-most minutes after JDC).

WB: Ashworth on the left. On the right, maaaaaaybe Matheson. Perhaps JDC will start - he was subbed earlyish on Saturday. Maybe Gethin will get a go. We're thin out there. I've said my piece.

MID: Mendes Gomes needs the minutes (only two starts so far) and so does Maghoma (three starts). So too does Morley (unused at Burton, 87th-minute entry v Derby). That's a decent midfield trio that should do for Salford, right?

CF: Given 14 minutes at Burton, Bodvarsson has been an unused sub three successive times as Evatt preferred Nlundulu and Jerome. That might suggest Dan & Cam as the starting forward line but I would suggest Bod needs the minutes more and would pair him with Dan – surely there's nothing more to learn about Jerome now?

Some of the first-choicers will have to be on the bench - we have a thin squad. Maybe one or two kids in case it's a cakewalk, but who? Trevon Bryan has impressed, but we have 5/6 strikers. Matheson? Khumbeni?
Point of order - one assumes the internationals are unavailable for this one.

So Ashworth, Sheehan, Toal and Charles?

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Sep 03, 2023 5:20 pm

He's still getting sacked if he loses to Salford! 😁

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Sun Sep 03, 2023 6:07 pm

I’d not start Baxter, Santos, Toal, JDC, Williams or Charles. All too important to risk in this comp, for me.

sonicthewhite
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by sonicthewhite » Sun Sep 03, 2023 6:09 pm

The_Gun wrote:
Sun Sep 03, 2023 6:07 pm
I’d not start Baxter, Santos, Toal, JDC, Williams or Charles. All too important to risk in this comp, for me.
So if Coleman is still injured for this would you risk Hutchinson starting instead of Baxter?
Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!

And the key to a result is a good :kettle:

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Sun Sep 03, 2023 6:12 pm

sonicthewhite wrote:
Sun Sep 03, 2023 6:09 pm
The_Gun wrote:
Sun Sep 03, 2023 6:07 pm
So if Coleman is still injured for this would you risk Hutchinson starting instead of Baxter?
Yep, Hutchinson or whoever is consider our best youth keeper. It’s really not a very important fixture.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Sep 03, 2023 6:24 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sun Sep 03, 2023 4:48 pm
Point of order - one assumes the internationals are unavailable for this one.

So Ashworth, Sheehan, Toal and Charles?
Fair - so yes, AFAIK.

Which means, sorry Randy, you gotta go again. He's gone the distance in 5 of our 6 league games (subbed on 70 v Fleetwood for Ashworth) and was rested to the bench, unused, in both League Cup games.

Lack of Toal might also mean we have to rush/risk Rico or Iredale to go with Forrester at the back. Or both and push Geth to RWB if we figure we can't risk playing both Randy and JDC.

Squad's very thin. As I think I may have said.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Sun Sep 03, 2023 6:27 pm

Why would we risk either Randy or JDC? We should be able to meet the competition criteria without doing so.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Sep 03, 2023 6:44 pm

I imagine that Iredale could play. Iredale, Jones, Forrester

Williams Jones as WBs.

Maghoma Morley Gomes

JDB and Nlundulu…..

Something of that nature.

It’s possible one or two of the youngsters like Toure and Khumbeni are included and I’d quite like that. But has Evatt started those sorts in these games before?

Squad does look perilously thin to me as DSB says. Hard to name alternatives for our wing backs who are hardest working. And I’d ideally not play Jones who worked hard Saturday and looked exhausted. Slightly skewed by internationals though as Ashworth would have played and that would have possibly allowed for Williams to rest and maybe then he might have tried CMG at wing back again….with the more solid citizen Ashworth on the other side.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Sep 03, 2023 7:27 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sun Sep 03, 2023 6:44 pm
It’s possible one or two of the youngsters like Toure and Khumbeni are included and I’d quite like that. But has Evatt started those sorts in these games before?
Only once, really: at Shrewsbury in the first season he started Lockett and Senior (who scored); Riley also got a good stint as first-half sub for the stricken Tom White.

He's brought on lads like Henry, Pettifer, Conway, Toure, Khumbeni and Carty for a few minutes if the game was won, and they've often studded the bench if we're short of manpower. So they might get to watch.

sonicthewhite
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by sonicthewhite » Sun Sep 03, 2023 7:33 pm

Maybe CMG might start at RWB? If we're going to experiment then it could be an option.
Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!

And the key to a result is a good :kettle:

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sun Sep 03, 2023 8:03 pm

Toal added to the Northern Ireland squad. (Edit) As mentioned above!

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Sep 03, 2023 10:04 pm

Cold, clinical and treat every game as a cup final regardless of who plays. In the immortal words of Paul Warne "the full agriculture". Teams will have learned a formula for playing us , so it's imperative we get in front and stay there. I hope Mr Evatt has made the point about cards, because flaky refs are a way of life in this league, and "The Banana boat song" is top of the pops! :Jedi:

ae:)
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

MattySlug
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by MattySlug » Mon Sep 04, 2023 8:33 am

I asked universe and checked Talksport app it’s on there the live radio coverage!!!
44B9E7AC-B623-49CD-9956-1A928AC11103.jpeg
44B9E7AC-B623-49CD-9956-1A928AC11103.jpeg (81.95 KiB) Viewed 6031 times
That’ll be Wednesday morning my time I gonna listen

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Sep 04, 2023 9:36 am

Iles’ Sheehan interview this morning says the midfielder will join the Wales squad after the League Cup game.

Not sure if same applies to others - guess it depends when in the break their teams are playing. I’d rotate Sheehan anyway (it’s Morley’s turn to show he can do that job) but I’d like Ashworth to play for us tomorrow if Wales U21 don’t mind.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Mon Sep 04, 2023 9:48 am

Oh wait, we don't have a game this weekend? I guess that changes my opinion somewhat on resting players, but I'd still be bringing in B teamers in positions where we have huge key man risk.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Sep 04, 2023 10:28 am

Done some checking and it seems the call-ups will NOT be available. Some B-teamers can expect temporary promotion - or without the internationals we just don't have enough players to fill an 18.

jmjhb
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jmjhb » Mon Sep 04, 2023 12:32 pm

If only we had a transfer window to sort that out.