Posh do or dogs dinner? Bolton v Peterborough Sat 23rd Sept - 3pm

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Posh do or dogs dinner? Bolton v Peterborough Sat 23rd Sept - 3pm

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Sep 23, 2023 5:22 pm

Decent point, but "in the circumstances" don't help much on winning titles...they must've discussed this ref before the game and you'd think someone said "don't give him a pick to make"

Plusses, makeshift defence and woodwork only conceded one, and another goal for Vic...

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Sep 23, 2023 5:23 pm

Who was skipper after Geth got first go of the soap?
Worthy4England wrote:
Sat Sep 23, 2023 5:22 pm
another goal for Vic...
Hope it kickstarts a run, but I'd still be starting two others up top on Tuesday

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Sat Sep 23, 2023 5:26 pm

Another tough game next week vs Port Vale. Hopefully more battling performances to be had.

We've got the same number of points as this stage last season. 8 games 14 points.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sat Sep 23, 2023 6:16 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Sat Sep 23, 2023 5:22 pm
Decent point, but "in the circumstances" don't help much on winning titles...they must've discussed this ref before the game and you'd think someone said "don't give him a pick to make"

Plusses, makeshift defence and woodwork only conceded one, and another goal for Vic...
Aye. Agree with that and the pluses - hopefully JDB getting somewhere near full fitness and Dan put himself about.

But this last week confirms we’ve wasted the summer window and what is IMO the best opportunity we’ll have for promotion. Poor discipline and short on strength in depth the squad isn’t good enough. We’ll be play offs at best and that’s not good enough this season. Disappointing.

tankcopters n aids
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by tankcopters n aids » Sat Sep 23, 2023 6:17 pm

Good result all things considered. We put in some really stupid tackles considering refs are seemingly itching to send our players off . Dan did well when he came on added something different.

We won't be getting automatic promotion with that midfield. The first half was like we were playing without one.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Sep 23, 2023 6:39 pm

https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/2 ... t-verdict/
Evatt:
“At the end, it is a point gained. The players have done remarkably well to take a point from that having been down to 10 for so long, with the injuries we have got in those positions. To keep a really potent attack out for so long was really good to see. It took a lot of hard work.

“I said to the players there: ‘Yes we have ridden our luck a little bit but one of my favourite phrases is that hard work puts you where good luck can find you.' I think today our work ethic and resilience that we didn’t show last week at Reading was there for all to see. I'm glad we got a point. The rest of the game is going to take some debriefing.”

On the red:
“I think it is a yellow. I do. I see those types of tackles a lot. For me, again it was the consistency of what was a yellow and what was not. Our players make tackles, we get yellows, their players make tackles, they don’t. Our players are not in front of the officials, they are not rolling around on the floor. I spoke to the referee after the game and he gave me an honest opinion on what he thought with the red. I obviously disagreed but at least we have had that conversation.

“The biggest frustration, believe it or not, is my yellow card. I didn’t swear, I wasn’t aggressive, I wasn’t abusive. I took a step out of my technical area to which I saw their manager leave the technical area, one of their players leave the pitch on his knees with his head in his hands trying to persuade the fourth official. Their assistant left his seat and got to the front of the pitch where you are only supposed to have one up. And yet in all that melee and all that chaos, I got yellow carded. I asked that question of the official after the game and the answer I got was that the fourth official’s focus was on me. Again, that is confusing and baffling. That is all I want to say on the rest of the matter. The players did unbelievably well to come out with a point.”

On the game overall:
“I’d said regardless of what team we picked we would always be competitive and I think we were. Before the red card it was a really good game. They looked threatening and dangerous in transition and on the counter, they put a lot of crosses into the box and that front four is very dangerous but once we linked passes and got in behind them, especially on the right hand side, we also looked dangerous. I think what happened really spoiled the game for 21,000 fans, which was disappointing.”

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Sep 23, 2023 6:41 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Sat Sep 23, 2023 5:04 pm
Superb character from the 10 out there.

Game's gone if that's a red. Though why the dopey bastard went with his left, feck knows.

4 in 5 now the nice person. Can we get him struck off.

Rode our luck massively but we didn't roll over.

Great point in the circumstances.
It’s a red all day long, the referee was absolutely dreadful but we can’t argue about the red card. Lucky not to break his ankle. Studs high caught him and bent his ankle back.

Red. Every day,

Stupid challenge. Mindless.

The team showed superb character but we rode our luck and as worthy says the form and how we are playing feels a long long way from automatic promotion.

Peterborough have a forward line that looks genuinely a step up from ours. Pace, direct running. It maybe didn’t fire second half as much as it could but still. I feel there is a lot of work for Evatt to do here. I think we need to change systems and he needs to get into the transfer market.

The team is not being done any favours being asked to play such a wide and high system. We looked better down to ten men playing much more compact and countering.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Sep 23, 2023 6:42 pm

https://x.com/jimthewanderer1/status/17 ... jLPnui--KQ

Red all day long. No idea how Evatt or anyone else can claim otherwise. I get we are all passionate inside the ground. And kioso should have been sent off before that.

But still. It’s a red. No arguments.

jmjhb
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jmjhb » Sat Sep 23, 2023 6:47 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Sep 23, 2023 6:41 pm
Prufrock wrote:
Sat Sep 23, 2023 5:04 pm
Superb character from the 10 out there.

Game's gone if that's a red. Though why the dopey bastard went with his left, feck knows.

4 in 5 now the nice person. Can we get him struck off.

Rode our luck massively but we didn't roll over.

Great point in the circumstances.
It’s a red all day long, the referee was absolutely dreadful but we can’t argue about the red card. Lucky not to break his ankle. Studs high caught him and bent his ankle back.

Red. Every day,

Stupid challenge. Mindless.

The team showed superb character but we rode our luck and as worthy says the form and how we are playing feels a long long way from automatic promotion.

Peterborough have a forward line that looks genuinely a step up from ours. Pace, direct running. It maybe didn’t fire second half as much as it could but still. I feel there is a lot of work for Evatt to do here. I think we need to change systems and he needs to get into the transfer market.

The team is not being done any favours being asked to play such a wide and high system. We looked better down to ten men playing much more compact and countering.
I don't even think P'Boro are the benchmark. Portsmouth and Oxford for me. We are in the second cluster with a host of other teams.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sat Sep 23, 2023 6:52 pm

Portsmouth did good business this summer but we shouldn’t be finishing below Oxford. The bollock has already been dropped and if we are in play off contention come January I’ll be surprised at this rate. Evatts losing the plot clearly claiming that’s a yellow.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Sep 23, 2023 7:15 pm

Yeah the fact is the summer was disastrous. It was obvious at the time and now the fact is just being rammed home. Based on what I saw today I don’t think Charles excepted any of our attacking options get in that Peterborough side and I don’t think our midfield would either.

That’s a concern considering we aren’t pegging them as likely top two material.

Adeboyejo scored but again today for me showed all his problems. Lack of pace. And when you are slow you need to be much better at holding the ball he wasn’t. Bod did look better as did Nlundulu but I fear that is because they were just asked to run and fight for scraps. Simplify their games and I’ve said I think they can do a job. But not the job Evatt needs in a 352.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Sep 23, 2023 7:21 pm

A side note on the visitors and their fearsome foursome up top.

Of their 25 shots today, Posh only got 6 on target.
In midweek they had 25 and only 5 on target, but Hapless Cheltenham's goalkeeper let 3 of them in.
At Pompey in their previous road trip they had 17 efforts on goal and only 4 were on target – and lost 3-1.

Just saying that if we registered that sort of inaccuracy our strikers would be getting pelters.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Sep 23, 2023 7:23 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Sep 23, 2023 6:42 pm

Red all day long. No idea how Evatt or anyone else can claim otherwise. I get we are all passionate inside the ground. And kioso should have been sent off before that.

FYI as well as deleting everything from the question mark onwards, we now have to change "x.com" to "twitter.com".

dave the minion
Reliable
Reliable

Post by dave the minion » Sat Sep 23, 2023 7:26 pm

Yep, and potential saviour in waiting JCH was kept pretty quiet (goal aside, obviously!!!) for most of the game by our reserve back 3.....

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sat Sep 23, 2023 7:56 pm

We were 2nd best today, before and after the red card.

We're a good side, so are they. Neither strike me as a top two team though
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Sat Sep 23, 2023 8:00 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Sat Sep 23, 2023 7:23 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Sep 23, 2023 6:42 pm

FYI as well as deleting everything from the question mark onwards, we now have to change "x.com" to "twitter.com".
Yeah that’s not getting overturned.

Forrester, Toal, Iredale should be ok vs Vale, but ffs let’s sort out discipline out.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Sep 23, 2023 8:08 pm

Sat Sep 23, 2023 7:21 pm

In midweek they had 25 and only 5 on target, but Hapless Cheltenham's goalkeeper let 3 of them in.
At Pompey in their previous road trip they had 17 efforts on goal and only 4 were on target – and lost 3-1.

Just saying that if we registered that sort of inaccuracy our strikers would be getting pelters.
We have there strikers who in 600 minutes plus have mustered up one shot on target between them. That’s a long way from the heady heights of 6 in a single game!

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Sep 23, 2023 8:11 pm

The_Gun wrote:
Sat Sep 23, 2023 8:00 pm
Yeah that’s not getting overturned.

Forrester, Toal, Iredale should be ok vs Vale, but ffs let’s sort out discipline out.
Forrester against his old team. Interesting to see if he or Toal plays in the middle. I'm fine with them both being able to play either role - speaking of which, perhaps when the skipper returns the default back 3 will become Toal-Santos-Forrester.

Oh one other thing. The Tuesday after Vale (and thus our thin squad's 4th game in 10 days) we host Stevenage - Steve Evans' long-ball mob currently sitting 3rd on 2ppg having only conceded 6 in 9. That will be our 10th league game - then we host Carlisle that Saturday before the (presumed) international break and we can assess where we be at....

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Sep 23, 2023 8:15 pm

Have to switch to a back four. It suits what we have far better.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Sep 23, 2023 8:19 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Sep 23, 2023 8:08 pm
Sat Sep 23, 2023 7:21 pm

We have there strikers who in 600 minutes plus have mustered up one shot on target between them. That’s a long way from the heady heights of 6 in a single game!
:lol:
I guess I could subtract their two best strikers as you've done with us, but I can't be arsed. What with Seven-Bins Sunak and his non-existent meat tax, it's clearly the week for strawman arguments. :mrgreen:

Iles said before this match that Posh had had the division's most shots (we were second but more accurate). I dare say they're still top, yet six teams have scored more. Including three teams who've played a game fewer. Including us.

They may have been somewhat unlucky today (and we certainly have issues up top, as I've repeatedly said) but if their forward line was all that and a bag of chips they'd have WIganned us.