Posh do or dogs dinner? Bolton v Peterborough Sat 23rd Sept - 3pm

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Posh do or dogs dinner? Bolton v Peterborough Sat 23rd Sept - 3pm

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Sep 23, 2023 8:25 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Sep 23, 2023 8:15 pm
Have to switch to a back four. It suits what we have far better.
I think I would like us to try this on Tuesday in the Pizza Cup game against United's kids, even if with a shadow squad. Something like:

Baxter; Matheson-Forrester-Toal-Ashworth; Thomason-Morley-Dempsey; Bod-Jerome-Nlundulu

May as well give Tomo the minutes as he's suspended Saturday (when he's presumably replaced by Morley) - could give Khumbeni minutes as sub. Would be interested to see the impressive two young centre-backs together, even though we're short on numbers there (I guess we could play safe by picking Gethin v Rags. And up front I'd give the "finishers" a start and hope they find the f**king net!!! :D

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Sep 23, 2023 8:27 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Sat Sep 23, 2023 8:19 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Sep 23, 2023 8:08 pm
Sat Sep 23, 2023 7:21 pm
A side note on the visitors and their fearsome foursome up top.

Of their 25 shots today, Posh only got 6 on target.
In midweek they had 25 and only 5 on target, but Hapless Cheltenham's goalkeeper let 3 of them in.
At Pompey in their previous road trip they had 17 efforts on goal and only 4 were on target – and lost 3-1.

Just saying that if we registered that sort of inaccuracy our strikers would be getting pelters.
We have there strikers who in 600 minutes plus have mustered up one shot on target between them. That’s a long way from the heady heights of 6 in a single game!
:lol:
I guess I could subtract their two best strikers as you've done with us, but I can't be arsed. What with Seven-Bins Sunak and his non-existent meat tax, it's clearly the week for strawman arguments. :mrgreen:

Iles said before this match that Posh had had the division's most shots (we were second but more accurate). I dare say they're still top, yet six teams have scored more. Including three teams who've played a game fewer. Including us.

They may have been somewhat unlucky today (and we certainly have issues up top, as I've repeatedly said) but if their forward line was all that and a bag of chips they'd have WIganned us.
Maybe. I thought they were the better side generally and certainly looked like they could create more than us. See where they finish. And where we do. As said I don’t think Posh will be troubling the top two.

Spartan2
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Spartan2 » Sat Sep 23, 2023 8:29 pm

Another dreadful performance, for all the talk of our strikers not being up to much it was the midfield that let us down, again. Dempsey crap as usual, Sheehan anonymous as usual, the pair of them are so fecking unfit/lazy it's painful to watch. IE should have put Morley on for Sheehan after 5mins, he's not even trying. I'm sick of this one good game in ten bullshit from the pair of them. They should be binned off in Jan. God that was an awful watch, Peterborough were shite too, and it's a good job because a half decent team would've embarrassed us again, if that was Wigan we would have lost 4-0 again because nothing has changed it's the same performance, in fact I think we played better against Wigan, they just put their chances away.

Passing to the ref, corners not going in play, not beating first man, foul throw (Peterborough but still) such poor quality football such a striking contrast to the first few games of the season.

Some positives, Bod looked sharp and fit and back on form (fingers crossed). Good goalkeeping from Baxter. Forrester looks decent. Another goal for Victor. Didn't lose, is that a positive when chasing the autos?

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Sat Sep 23, 2023 8:29 pm

Sat Sep 23, 2023 8:25 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Sep 23, 2023 8:15 pm
Have to switch to a back four. It suits what we have far better.
I think I would like us to try this on Tuesday in the Pizza Cup game against United's kids, even if with a shadow squad. Something like:

Baxter; Matheson-Forrester-Toal-Ashworth; Thomason-Morley-Dempsey; Bod-Jerome-Nlundulu

May as well give Tomo the minutes as he's suspended Saturday (when he's presumably replaced by Morley) - could give Khumbeni minutes as sub. Would be interested to see the impressive two young centre-backs together, even though we're short on numbers there (I guess we could play safe by picking Gethin v Rags. And up front I'd give the "finishers" a start and hope they find the f**king net!!! :D
I’d rather we didn’t start Forrester, Toal or Demps.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Sat Sep 23, 2023 8:35 pm

Spartan2 wrote:
Sat Sep 23, 2023 8:29 pm
Another dreadful performance, for all the talk of our strikers not being up to much it was the midfield that let us down, again. Dempsey crap as usual, Sheehan anonymous as usual, the pair of them are so fecking unfit/lazy it's painful to watch. IE should have put Morley on for Sheehan after 5mins, he's not even trying. I'm sick of this one good game in ten bullshit from the pair of them. They should be binned off in Jan. God that was an awful watch, Peterborough were shite too, and it's a good job because a half decent team would've embarrassed us again, if that was Wigan we would have lost 4-0 again because nothing has changed it's the same performance, in fact I think we played better against Wigan, they just put their chances away.

Passing to the ref, corners not going in play, not beating first man, foul throw (Peterborough but still) such poor quality football such a striking contrast to the first few games of the season.

Some positives, Bod looked sharp and fit and back on form (fingers crossed). Good goalkeeping from Baxter. Forrester looks decent. Another goal for Victor. Didn't lose, is that a positive when chasing the autos?
Move over Bertie and Insano, there’s a new sheriff of positivity in town.

truewhite15
Passionate
Passionate

Post by truewhite15 » Sat Sep 23, 2023 8:42 pm

The_Gun wrote:
Sat Sep 23, 2023 8:35 pm
Spartan2 wrote:
Sat Sep 23, 2023 8:29 pm

Move over Bertie and Insano, there’s a new sheriff of positivity in town.
:lol:

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Sep 23, 2023 8:55 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Sep 23, 2023 8:27 pm
Maybe. I thought they were the better side generally and certainly looked like they could create more than us. See where they finish. And where we do. As said I don’t think Posh will be troubling the top two.
Oh they definitely did create more than us. 25 efforts. But they couldn't finish 'em - thankfully :mrgreen:
Screenshot 2023-09-23 at 20.52.17.png
Screenshot 2023-09-23 at 20.52.17.png (266.64 KiB) Viewed 9917 times
(somewhat confusingly, their shots in blue at left, ours in orange at right)

Seven-figure striker JCH had four efforts, as many as Dion and Vic combined - scored once, but failed thrice...

They may or may not finish above us - but right now "finishing" ain't a strength

irie Cee Bee
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by irie Cee Bee » Sat Sep 23, 2023 9:10 pm

Credit to the team for showing guts and the posts (I lost count the amount of times they were hit). Terrible tackle by Jones and he deserved the red card. He is a right sided defender and jumped in with his left. Seemed intentional to me. I am so concerned when he and Iredale play at the same time because it weakens us defensively on both sides instead of on one. They are not playing well this season. Second half we started off looking like we felt sorry for ourselves. Thank God Baxter, Forrester and Thomasson (our best player) had the determination to fight, fight and fight. We were a lot more comfortable when Dan and DadBod came on. They looked better and made us look better.

All in all, when all things considered a good point, but we have to do better and improve. At the moment, automatic promotion looks a distant dream.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sat Sep 23, 2023 9:24 pm

Jones lost his head…there had been the two goals in a minute and it was manic until half time. I think he went in to injure their man… it’s unforgivable really at that point in the game and with that ref. The consolation is he’s relegated himself to 3rd choice in that position surely with suspension - he’s had a shite season so far.

Discipline is poor - needs sorting.

truewhite15
Passionate
Passionate

Post by truewhite15 » Sat Sep 23, 2023 9:57 pm

Personally hoping that Baxter improves the command of his area. Haven't seen it back, but the Peterborough goal seemed to be a header inside the 6-yard box. You'd want your keeper claiming that sort of stuff.

It was a good point today under the circumstances. Clear red for Jones - daft challenge. But like most, I think both Jones and Iredale are quickly falling to the back-up roles. Our strongest back three (with everybody fit) is clearly Johnston-Santos-Toal. Forrester's performances have made him a shoo-in for for the vacant Johnston role.

Midfield three are decent for this level. Thomason is really growing into it. But I didn't think any of them had their greatest games for us today. Nlundulu and JDB had their most impressive appearances of the season - maybe Nlundulu is a winger and we just never knew it??

When we're good, we look really, really good. When we're having an off day, it's blindingly obvious and we've yet to develop that habit of nicking wins when we've been crap.

We're not too far off the pace of the teams we expect to be at the top though. We've had a shaky start, but time to turn it round yet.

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Sun Sep 24, 2023 8:31 am

truewhite15 wrote:
Sat Sep 23, 2023 9:57 pm
Personally hoping that Baxter improves the command of his area. Haven't seen it back, but the Peterborough goal seemed to be a header inside the 6-yard box. You'd want your keeper claiming that sort of stuff.
I was going to post something at the time however the replay shows the ball is in an area if he comes and misses then we ask why did he come? But I then thought why not come and punch the ball, player and defender? Then I thought this lad has a glass shoulder. I think we've got a decent shot stopper but someone who might be fearful of getting hurt.

There was a point too where the ball landed and bounced in an area near his chest and it's like he forgot he had arms.

I doubt he's the least of our worries but one to watch.

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Sun Sep 24, 2023 8:37 am

Oh and Victor, you're gonna need to get them fitness levels up pal. He looked very leggy at 60mins.

Not saying I'd be able to run the line for 90 minutes but there is match sharpness and then there are basic requirements, one being able to complete 90 minutes of a football match if needed.

Can you tell I've been up since 5.30am?

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sun Sep 24, 2023 9:28 am

Big ask chasing lost causes cos your down to ten men after your captain has a mad moment.

I think on Tuesday I would like to see a 4 at the back with Jones playing right back, probably Iredale left. JDC and Williams need a rest. I would get Matheson in ahead of Jones on the right of Nlundulu and Bodvarson, Thomason and Morley plus one other. Might as well play the walking yellow card given he is suspended.

Sliding doors moment and as much as I like George and was pleased he turned the move down I wonder what we could have done with that money in August…

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Sun Sep 24, 2023 9:43 am

officer_dibble wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2023 9:28 am

Sliding doors moment and as much as I like George and was pleased he turned the move down I wonder what we could have done with that money in August…
I'd have been hoping Dan didn't have a brother!

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sun Sep 24, 2023 9:54 am

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2023 9:43 am
officer_dibble wrote:

I'd have been hoping Dan didn't have a brother!
Ha! Yeah it wouldn’t have sorted that problem out!

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Sep 24, 2023 10:04 am

officer_dibble wrote:
Big ask chasing lost causes cos your down to ten men after your captain has a mad moment.

I think on Tuesday I would like to see a 4 at the back with Jones playing right back, probably Iredale left. JDC and Williams need a rest. I would get Matheson in ahead of Jones on the right of Nlundulu and Bodvarson, Thomason and Morley plus one other. Might as well play the walking yellow card given he is suspended.

We will see at Port Vale but I fear without Thomason that midfield is a load of emptiness. Sheehan is back to his ‘disappearing man’ act with the odd flash of brilliance and Dempsey looks like he’s playing through injury to me.

Thomason was outstanding yesterday. Id not trust Evatt to have found a suitable replacement.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Sep 24, 2023 10:18 am

We might have been told something like "Shola has been working hard on his tackling, in pre-season and can play a number of positions" :-)

Was it last season George Johnston played a couple in mf or the one before?

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Sep 24, 2023 10:55 am

There will be days like that. Fortune took a hand granted, but it no doubt will with others. You don't lose anything at football points -wise , only don't progress up the ladder, and we're a point better than we were in a game we probably expected to gain nought. Posh's manager spoke some words of wisdom where others would be crying as he obviously saw the hard work of a defence under seige. The furthest any team could advance on us was three points (now two), so a win for us can rectify that some.

I just wish we had a league game Tuesday and not cup, although it will give us breathing space. Good to see Dad-Bod back into the game positively. On with it then..... :oyea:

ae:)
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Sep 24, 2023 11:23 am

Phil Brown was covering the game on the radio and said he thinks Bolton have too many strikers and the bench ones aren’t getting enough minutes. Doesn’t think you can run a squad with 5 strikers. Also said Bodvarson is the best of the bench strikers and maybe is better than Vic and should be prioritised for minutes to get sharp as he offers qualities absent from the other players.

It’s an interesting point. Are we too heavy on strikers compared to other key positions? Are we misusing the strikers we have?

tankcopters n aids
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by tankcopters n aids » Sun Sep 24, 2023 12:10 pm

I still don't get the obsession with starting Dion and Vic together, while both good at doing their own job they pretty much do the same thing. Neither are strong at holding up the ball and linking play. Seems a bit odd given we're a possession side.