This Pizza tastes of Man Ure! Bolton v Utd Kids @H Tues 260923.

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Re: This Pizza tastes of Man Ure! Bolton v Utd Kids @H Tues 260923.

Post by Prufrock » Tue Sep 26, 2023 10:22 pm

He's right. Ten was on. Lifetime screenshot wasted.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Tue Sep 26, 2023 10:42 pm

You’ve banged in 8 against a United team and you were after 10?! It’s Man United you’ve just walloped! Doesn’t matter if it’s their U7’s or tea ladies team! Just enjoy it!

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Sep 26, 2023 11:00 pm

Spartan2 wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2023 9:58 pm
What can you take from trouncing a team much weaker than you? Despite his goals Dan didn't really impress me much, hopefully it boosts his confidence and he can start to perform at league 1 level, seems unlikely. Sheehan was classy but I'm not really arsed how he performs in these games he was abysmal at the weekend. Thomasson continues to impress week in week out, he's quickly becoming our best midfielder maybe even our best player. Bod was superb, his intelligence and work rate and skill level was excellent he should start at the weekend, he won't, but he should.
I'm OK with not getting over excited based on this result, but why would we therefore say Bod's (or Thomo's) performance was meritorious of much either on the same basis?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Sep 26, 2023 11:20 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2023 11:00 pm
Spartan2 wrote:
What can you take from trouncing a team much weaker than you? Despite his goals Dan didn't really impress me much, hopefully it boosts his confidence and he can start to perform at league 1 level, seems unlikely. Sheehan was classy but I'm not really arsed how he performs in these games he was abysmal at the weekend. Thomasson continues to impress week in week out, he's quickly becoming our best midfielder maybe even our best player. Bod was superb, his intelligence and work rate and skill level was excellent he should start at the weekend, he won't, but he should.
I'm OK with not getting over excited based on this result, but why would we therefore say Bod's (or Thomo's) performance was meritorious of much either on the same basis?
I don’t think it’s unfair to say Thomason was the best player on the pitch. What that means in a league one game is up for debate but he was also the best player on Saturday too. And I think the assessment is pretty fair.

Bod has a superb football brain but for me still looks rusty. But you saw touches of real class.

Dan did what was needed but again for me showed his touch is dodgy and against league one sides I think that’s thee issue.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Sep 26, 2023 11:39 pm

I like Thomo. Think he's a developing asset. I know Bod at his best (which we haven't seen for a while) is good. No problem. But we shouldn't say Dan/Sheehan did ok because the team we played was shit? Dunno, doesn't seem particularly equitable.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Sep 27, 2023 12:23 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2023 9:31 pm
Based on this season Thomason is worth a LOT more than £1M. Our best midfield player by a long shot for me.
It’s great to see. I imagine we would now ask a suitor for more cash than we asked Bristol City.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Sep 27, 2023 7:33 am

Worthy4England wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2023 11:39 pm
I like Thomo. Think he's a developing asset. I know Bod at his best (which we haven't seen for a while) is good. No problem. But we shouldn't say Dan/Sheehan did ok because the team we played was shit? Dunno, doesn't seem particularly equitable.
I mean I certainly wasn’t. I’m saying that against a poor side they did the job but I’m not sure their performances put to bed the issues that both have at times in league one.

Hopefully it gives Dan confidence and what not and I still think we need to simplify what he’s being asked to do.

Sheehan I hope does as well against Port Vale but I do fear that the midfield we can put out against them is a bit….weak….in a couple of senses of the word.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Wed Sep 27, 2023 10:34 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2023 11:20 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
Spartan2 wrote:
I don’t think it’s unfair to say Thomason was the best player on the pitch. What that means in a league one game is up for debate but he was also the best player on Saturday too. And I think the assessment is pretty fair.

Bod has a superb football brain but for me still looks rusty. But you saw touches of real class.

Dan did what was needed but again for me showed his touch is dodgy and against league one sides I think that’s thee issue.
For balance, I would point out that Dan actually showed some really good touches and close control last night. The ball certainly wasn't bouncing off him all evening.

truewhite15
Passionate
Passionate

Post by truewhite15 » Wed Sep 27, 2023 10:56 am

The_Gun wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2023 10:34 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:
Spartan2 wrote:

For balance, I would point out that Dan actually showed some really good touches and close control last night. The ball certainly wasn't bouncing off him all evening.
No, but he did (rightly) take a bollocking from Baxter when he utterly failed to challenge for a high ball in the first half. Thrilled that he got a couple of goals, and I hope that he uses this to kick on - but we were still seeing the bad old Dan at times last night.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Sep 27, 2023 11:01 am

The_Gun wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2023 10:34 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:
Spartan2 wrote:

For me that’s a stretch. He looked pretty much like he always does, first and second touch wasn’t great. Against kids that doesn’t matter as much because they couldn’t outmuscle him but against better sides it’s an issue.

I also think his appetite is always questionable. Does he really want it? I can see Bod straining every inch to do well even if it doesn’t always work. But Dan to me at times looks like he needs reminding he has to make the run or close his opponent down.

I just hope he takes confidence and builds on it.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Wed Sep 27, 2023 1:02 pm

I'm not going to watch the whole match back, but I specifically recall instances where he showed a really good first touch. Not every time, certainly, but regularly enough to suggest to me that he does have reasonable technique.

truewhite15
Passionate
Passionate

Post by truewhite15 » Wed Sep 27, 2023 1:16 pm

The_Gun wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2023 1:02 pm
I'm not going to watch the whole match back, but I specifically recall instances where he showed a really good first touch. Not every time, certainly, but regularly enough to suggest to me that he does have reasonable technique.
Inclined to agree with this. Particularly during the 2nd half. It was frequently ill-advised 2nd and 3rd touches that ended up doing for him, or not being in a position to get the 1st touch at all.

He strikes me as needing to go to the George Thomason school of "Keep It Simple, Stupid".

dave the minion
Reliable
Reliable

Post by dave the minion » Wed Sep 27, 2023 1:23 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2023 11:01 am

I also think his appetite is always questionable. Does he really want it? I can see Bod straining every inch to do well even if it doesn’t always work. But Dan to me at times looks like he needs reminding he has to make the run or close his opponent down.
Also, be wary of confirmation bias: we all seem to universally love Bod and therefore seem to get behind him on his road to rediscovering his form, whereas some on here are, err, less fond of Dan, and hence out to get him at any opportunity

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Sep 27, 2023 1:37 pm

1-0 Dan 1 2-0 Sheehan 1 3-0 Sheehan 2 4-0 Jones 5-0 Dan 2 6-0 Bod 7-1 Khumbeni 8-1 Matheson

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Wed Sep 27, 2023 1:53 pm

dave the minion wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2023 1:23 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:

Also, be wary of confirmation bias: we all seem to universally love Bod and therefore seem to get behind him on his road to rediscovering his form, whereas some on here are, err, less fond of Dan, and hence out to get him at any opportunity
Agreed albeit they are at vastly different points in their careers - JDB is an international striker and has got the goals for us already. Nlundulu is unfortunately being viewed as our transfer budget spent wrong which isn’t his fault - but he does have that to prove. I hope he can block stuff out and get on with it - I think he has come out after the game and said he had a point to prove to the fans etc. concentrate on your game!

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Sep 27, 2023 2:43 pm

dave the minion wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:

Yeah of course. I think he will be best when as others point out his game is simplified. Get it hold it, pass it, get in the box for me is what his game should be. He probably at times is being asked to play a game he simply can’t.

But he does need I think to up his fight in games. Maybe confidence will help. But at times you can see others screaming at him to make the run or close his man and he’s a bit slow or hesitant or unsure or half hearted…you decide.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Sep 27, 2023 5:19 pm

dave the minion wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:

I don't think that's true for the end part. Neither has ripped up any trees so far this season or last. I've not seen the last two games - so can't comment, but on the basis of the last 12 months, neither was meritorious of a starting spot, prior to the last two games. I'd happily have a pint with both, but that doesn't alter the fact I think purely in footballing terms, both have been poor for 12 months. It's certainly not a vendetta against Dan.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Sep 27, 2023 5:29 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2023 5:19 pm
dave the minion wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
I don't think that's true for the end part. Neither has ripped up any trees so far this season or last. I've not seen the last two games - so can't comment, but on the basis of the last 12 months, neither was meritorious of a starting spot, prior to the last two games. I'd happily have a pint with both, but that doesn't alter the fact I think purely in footballing terms, both have been poor for 12 months. It's certainly not a vendetta against Dan.
Not from you, perhaps. But others may be more vindictive. Not necessarily on here - even if I disagree with some views, I don't think anyone on here is spiteful - but out in the wilds of social media, some folk (with whom I certainly wouldn't have a pint) are properly knives-drawn for Nlundulu in particular.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Sep 27, 2023 5:31 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2023 5:29 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2023 5:19 pm
dave the minion wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Not from you, perhaps. But others may be more vindictive. Not necessarily on here - even if I disagree with some views, I don't think anyone on here is spiteful - but out in the wilds of social media, some folk (with whom I certainly wouldn't have a pint) are properly knives-drawn for Nlundulu in particular.
I don't venture much into the wilds of social media... :-)

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Sep 27, 2023 5:43 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2023 5:31 pm
I don't venture much into the wilds of social media... :-)
wise.gif
wise.gif (389.84 KiB) Viewed 4765 times