This Pizza tastes of Man Ure! Bolton v Utd Kids @H Tues 260923.

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

sonicthewhite
Dedicated
Dedicated

This Pizza tastes of Man Ure! Bolton v Utd Kids @H Tues 260923.

Post by sonicthewhite » Mon Sep 25, 2023 5:18 pm

Well here's a chance to rest our wounded warriors and get the fringe in. Hopefully the Whites will give me an extra birthday present and that bloody kettle will actually start delivering. My shout would be;

Baxter
Jones Forrester Toal
Matheson Iredale
Thomason Morley
Sheehan

Nlundulu Bodvarsson
Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!

And the key to a result is a good :kettle:

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Re: This Pizza tastes of Man Ure! Bolton v Utd Kids @H Tues 260923.

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Sep 25, 2023 5:55 pm

As noted elsewhere - Thomason and Jones are suspended hereafter, so may as well play. Morley needs the minutes, as do Dan and Bod. So that's half a team there.

Around those, we can add some who need exposure to replace those who need rest. Matheson must fancy it, and JDC needs a break. I'd be tempted to give Hutchinson a go in goal, because injury to Baxter in a game of this unimportance would be a season-hexer. Ashworth, if fit, should give Randy the night off – or at most an "in case of emergency" bench night. We might even take advantage of the new trophy rules allowing the temporary use of loaned-out youngsters to consider having LWB Max Conway in our 18 for the night. Khumbeni will be in the 18 and could be in the 11 considering Morley and Thomason constitute a decent midfield (Dempsey must be rested).

It's all judgement calls. Should Iredale have the chance to play himself into form, or do we give Forrester and Toal – who've only played together for the first 62 minutes of the Boro game – more time to say hello?

sonicthewhite
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by sonicthewhite » Mon Sep 25, 2023 6:04 pm

To be honest I'd forgotten about Ashworth, thought he was on the injured list. If he's fit I'd put him at LWB and have Toal, Forrester and Ireldale as the three CB's. Gethin can drop to the bench.
Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!

And the key to a result is a good :kettle:

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Sep 25, 2023 6:06 pm

sonicthewhite wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2023 6:04 pm
To be honest I'd forgotten about Ashworth, thought he was on the injured list. If he's fit I'd put him at LWB and have Toal, Forrester and Ireldale as the three CB's. Gethin can drop to the bench.
Ashworth has been injured since the int'l break but I thought it was only a short-termer. Trophy games are his best chance to stake a claim so if he misses this with a niggle after missing the previous one thanks to that Wales callup, he'll begin to think he's cursed...

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Sep 25, 2023 6:57 pm

I'm liking the thread title!

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Mon Sep 25, 2023 10:24 pm

sonicthewhite wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2023 5:18 pm
Well here's a chance to rest our wounded warriors and get the fringe in. Hopefully the Whites will give me an extra birthday present and that bloody kettle will actually start delivering. My shout would be;

Baxter
Jones Forrester Toal
Matheson Iredale
Thomason Morley
Sheehan

Nlundulu Bodvarsson

Pretty much the same pick as what i'd've picked. I had Sheehan out for Khumbeni and Jerome in but aside from that the same idea plays out. I guess my preference would be for us to finish strongly for a change, whereas I don't think we'll get that if we're starting with our best two covering forwards, not unless we bring on the likes of Charles or Vic, which i'm less keen on seeing. Hopefully that's to be avoided.

jmjhb
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jmjhb » Mon Sep 25, 2023 10:59 pm

Didn't realise Utd were also playing a Carabao Cup match at roughly the same time, I wonder how this will affect their line-up, you'd think a couple of them might be in the first team squad.

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Tue Sep 26, 2023 1:41 am

jmjhb wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2023 10:59 pm
Didn't realise Utd were also playing a Carabao Cup match at roughly the same time, I wonder how this will affect their line-up, you'd think a couple of them might be in the first team squad.
They're against a Crystal Palace side sat just one point behind them in the league. They also play the exact same fixture on Saturday as well, so whoever comes off better has an edge against in the forthcoming match.

Given its Premiership opposition, and Man Utd are seemingly unlikely to challenge for major honours, or indeed qualifying for the ability to challenge for major honours, it would seem prudent that they go with a strong first team lineup. They've also not had a reputable win in the league yet with their only wins being narrow wins against Burnley, Wolves and 10 man Forest. In fact the only game they've dominated shot wise is against 10 man Forest.

Perhaps one of the U21's will make their bench. Aside from that, I think it'll be the best that their U21's have to offer.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Tue Sep 26, 2023 12:39 pm

I’d be nervous if Forrester starts tonight after his efforts on the weekend and how vital he now is for us.

Assuming Ashworth is fit, I’d go:

Hutchinson

Jones Toal Iredale

Thomason Khumbeni

Matheson Morley Ashworth

Nlundulu Dad Bod

I’d also be filling the bench with B teamers, although I strongly suspect Evatt will not.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Sep 26, 2023 12:53 pm

Iles and Evatt:
Luke Matheson and Nelson Khumbeni have been on the fringes of the first team for a few weeks, training with the senior squad. Both players will be given an opportunity during the game against Manchester United against a level of opposition Evatt feels they should both be able to handle comfortably after their previous experiences at Wolves and Norwich City, respectively.

“Luke, for instance, has been excellent, his attitude is outstanding. And playing against Manchester United’s Under-21s is not unfamiliar,” he said. “He has come from a Category One academy where he has played this type of game an awful lot, and it is the same for Nelson Khumbeni who came from Norwich City and played a lot of PL2 games. This level is probably where they are at, it is just about getting them ready for the bigger picture, the big league games, if need be.”
https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/2 ... game-push/

Also Iles:
Evatt is also considering making limited changes to the line-up that drew against Peterborough United in the hope he can secure a result and introduce a few B Team players during the course of match.
https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/2 ... shoretire/

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Tue Sep 26, 2023 12:56 pm

If we win tonight we’ve qualified and there is a lot less on the Stockport match which to be honest won’t be a bad thing given they kicked us off the park last time.

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Tue Sep 26, 2023 1:05 pm

The_Gun wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2023 12:39 pm
I’d be nervous if Forrester starts tonight after his efforts on the weekend and how vital he now is for us.

Hutchinson

Jones Toal Iredale

Thomason Khumbeni

Matheson Morley Ashworth

Nlundulu Dad Bod

I’d also be filling the bench with B teamers, although I strongly suspect Evatt will not.
I find it strange that you're happy for Toal and Iredale to start but not Forrester. Toals a good player and Iredale has been as good as Forrester, so it might be a case of Forrester just impressing like Iredale did earlier in the season. Let's hope he can keep it up consistently, but for me I'm equally as concerned about Toal and Iredale. We can I'll afford any other outages

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Sep 26, 2023 1:10 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2023 12:56 pm
If we win tonight we’ve qualified and there is a lot less on the Stockport match which to be honest won’t be a bad thing given they kicked us off the park last time.
Good point. That's also a Tuesday (14 Nov) at the start of an international break (the subsequent Saturday game at Cambridge is likely to be postponed), so we'll probably be short of numbers again. If we are through, you'd probably like to see half a dozen Bs in that XI.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Sep 26, 2023 1:21 pm

Evatt's first ever Pizza Cup team...

Crellin; Brockbank, Delaney, Taft; Hickman (Jones 76), White (Comley 66), Sarcevic, Gordon; Crawford; Delfouneso (Miller 66), Doyle.
Unused Subs: Alexander, Senior, Tutte, Darcy.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Tue Sep 26, 2023 1:52 pm

Mar wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2023 1:05 pm
The_Gun wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2023 12:39 pm

Hutchinson

Jones Toal Iredale

Thomason Khumbeni

Matheson Morley Ashworth

Nlundulu Dad Bod

I find it strange that you're happy for Toal and Iredale to start but not Forrester. Toals a good player and Iredale has been as good as Forrester, so it might be a case of Forrester just impressing like Iredale did earlier in the season. Let's hope he can keep it up consistently, but for me I'm equally as concerned about Toal and Iredale. We can I'll afford any other outages
Toal didn't play on Saturday, thus I'd be happier to see him get minutes tonight.

Fair point regarding Iredeale, I wouldn't really like to play him either, but none of our B team CBs seem to be anywhere near ready. Personally I'd probably stick one in regardless, but I wanted to pick a lineup that's at least somewhat realistic.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Sep 26, 2023 1:54 pm

For me the big "fly in the ointment" isn't League position v PJT, it's dosh. I reckon we trousered over £1m by winning it last season. Cash for winning each round was >250,000 (in total - not per round! :-) ) and you pocket 45% of the ticket revenue...and then there's a mysterious amount of TV money to add on....

That might give an incentive to make sure we win the game...

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Tue Sep 26, 2023 2:15 pm

You reckon those figures might have been hit due to there being no competition sponsor this year?

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Tue Sep 26, 2023 2:18 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2023 1:21 pm
Evatt's first ever Pizza Cup team...

Crellin; Brockbank, Delaney, Taft; Hickman (Jones 76), White (Comley 66), Sarcevic, Gordon; Crawford; Delfouneso (Miller 66), Doyle.
Unused Subs: Alexander, Senior, Tutte, Darcy.
Wow :shock: . A good reminder of how far we've come. Just showed it to Mrs G who remarked
"We didn't win it that year". Amazing we won anything with some of that squad, much less got promoted at seasons end.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Sep 26, 2023 3:11 pm

The_Gun wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2023 2:15 pm
You reckon those figures might have been hit due to there being no competition sponsor this year?
Yes, but not by much I don't think about £48k down on "winning the final"....Got that from here

Sorry now with "source" - full of ads so click at your peril. :-) https://www.doncasterfreepress.co.uk/sp ... hip-434293

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Sep 26, 2023 3:28 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2023 1:54 pm
For me the big "fly in the ointment" isn't League position v PJT, it's dosh. I reckon we trousered over £1m by winning it last season. Cash for winning each round was >250,000 (in total - not per round! :-) ) and you pocket 45% of the ticket revenue...and then there's a mysterious amount of TV money to add on....

That might give an incentive to make sure we win the game...
Yes in revenue…not in profit though. Your cost for opening up the ground each game is high…I believe Gartside said was 100K at least…..probably more not with inflation…..