Vale of tiers: Port Vale (A), Division Three, Sat 30 Sep @ 3pm

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

HMX
Passionate
Passionate

Re: Vale of tiers: Port Vale (A), Division Three, Sat 30 Sep @ 3pm

Post by HMX » Sat Sep 30, 2023 5:38 pm

Spartan2 wrote:
Sat Sep 30, 2023 5:34 pm
Great performance over all.

First half it's like watching city, PV couldn't get near us, then that second half they pressed us and we just can't deal with it. We couldn't string five passes together. It seems like this is our major problem encapsulated in one game, if teams don't/can't press us we play them off the park if they do we're average at best. I think if we had a couple of midfielders who were "press resistant" we'd piss this league.
And I think Big Dan offers some of this. I don’t think we should expect goals from him. He held it up well today and made a few neat passes out to the wing that caught the PV backline out of position.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Sep 30, 2023 5:50 pm

Spartan2 wrote:
First half it's like watching city, PV couldn't get near us, then that second half they pressed us and we just can't deal with it. We couldn't string five passes together. It seems like this is our major problem encapsulated in one game, if teams don't/can't press us we play them off the park if they do we're average at best. I think if we had a couple of midfielders who were "press resistant" we'd piss this league.
It's possible we do, but neither was available today.

Thomason has developed so much as a player and on Tuesday he was getting particular praise for fearlessly playing through United's high press. Yeah, they're kids, but adding that to his game would make him even more vital.

The other is Maghoma, who if memory serves Evatt has publicly said is pleasingly press-proof.

If those two start to set the standard, others will have to follow - or watch on from the stands.

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Sat Sep 30, 2023 5:58 pm

I'm hearing Forrester continues to impress and Big Dan gave a good account of himself?

sonicthewhite
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by sonicthewhite » Sat Sep 30, 2023 6:02 pm

If we can get through these next two games without anymore injuries AND stay in touch with the top of the table then we should be looking rosy when all our injuries return.
Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!

And the key to a result is a good :kettle:

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Sep 30, 2023 6:11 pm

Evatt:
https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/2 ... -reaction/
I think first half was excellent from our perspective, the only slight criticism would be that we should have been further ahead. There should have been more than one goal but we had a lot of control, a lot of domination, which at a place like this is not easy. Port Vale are a good team and they have improved a lot since being promoted.

The second half, you can’t come here and expect to have it all your own way for 90 minutes. There are going to be spells where you are backs to the wall, they are going to put you under pressure, but the adversity we came through, the intelligence in our defending, the bravery and courage, putting bodies on the line, we did it superbly. I am immensely proud, it was a brilliant result.

I can’t speak highly enough of this group, mentality-wise they are the best I have had since being at the club. Togetherness is there for all to see, they all get on with each other and that isn’t always the case in football clubs. We have worked hard on the culture we created and it comes from the top with Sharon and the board, through to Neil the CEO, and filters through to me and the football department. This is a club that wants to fight for results and fight for its fans. Today we showed that in abundance.

You must remember that a lot of the players who played here, played Tuesday. We haven’t got the squad depth at the moment to be able to change for fresh legs and energy. They battled, they fought, and they deserve the points. We're seven or eight players down at the minute and that is a squad which is pretty beat up at the moment. But the togetherness in the group is fantastic. I am delighted with what they showed today.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sat Sep 30, 2023 6:23 pm

jmjhb wrote:
Sat Sep 30, 2023 5:28 pm
Sam Hird leaving as first team coach.
To take up a position at the PFA :conf:

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Sep 30, 2023 6:45 pm

jmjhb wrote:
Sat Sep 30, 2023 5:28 pm
Sam Hird leaving as first team coach.
Where’s that from? It would be much worse news than I imagined 15 months ago…

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Sep 30, 2023 6:51 pm

Yeah that’s… odd.

Spartan2
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Spartan2 » Sat Sep 30, 2023 7:03 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Sat Sep 30, 2023 5:50 pm
Spartan2 wrote:
It's possible we do, but neither was available today.

Thomason has developed so much as a player and on Tuesday he was getting particular praise for fearlessly playing through United's high press. Yeah, they're kids, but adding that to his game would make him even more vital.

The other is Maghoma, who if memory serves Evatt has publicly said is pleasingly press-proof.

If those two start to set the standard, others will have to follow - or watch on from the stands.
Oh I'm a big fan of Thomasson, and hopefully Maghoma is good too it's just a shame it's nearly October and we've barely seen him kick a ball.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Sep 30, 2023 7:09 pm

It was a performance full of guts. And Evatts assessment is right. First half was a good performance apart from the end product. Should have been out of sight.

Then as Spartan accurately explains we were pressed second half and couldn’t get out. It was backs to the wall. But the wall held. Can’t help but feel that we needed to hang on and did.

Tuesday will be rough. Not sure many of these have another 90 mins in them. But home crowd maybe will help?

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Sat Sep 30, 2023 7:18 pm

I honestly think Matheson and Khumbeni need to get minutes on Tuesday. JDC is running himself into the ground, and Dempsey is apparently carrying this back injury.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sat Sep 30, 2023 7:46 pm

Thomason is back for Tuesday of course.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Sep 30, 2023 7:53 pm

All taken into account, including playing away, I reckon that's a great three points. Every game's going to have its up and down factors and today we were the visitors holding out for the points and being desperately chased by the homers. It's always going to be like this to a degree and nobody is going to gift us a crust. It's really reassuring to see a team as injury diminished as us able to turn out such a performance. Plaudits all round from me. As a plus, we have a game in hand on two of the top four. Without consulting the oracle, Dion Charles is joint second top scorer in League One. Keep it rolling lads... :oyea:

ae:)
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Sep 30, 2023 11:01 pm

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sun Oct 01, 2023 11:22 am

Teams who get promoted win those games - still playing catch up to losing the games against the two feck up clubs which we should have identified for minimum 4 points - so need two more wins from home games this week, nothing less.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Oct 01, 2023 1:34 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2023 11:22 am
Teams who get promoted win those games - still playing catch up to losing the games against the two feck up clubs which we should have identified for minimum 4 points - so need two more wins from home games this week, nothing less.
I think it was a critical three points. Backing it up on a Tuesday with similar would start to raise eyebrows as you say.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Oct 01, 2023 1:59 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2023 1:34 pm
officer_dibble wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2023 11:22 am
I think it was a critical three points. Backing it up on a Tuesday with similar would start to raise eyebrows as you say.
Yep, especially as Stevenage are up there. Beating two teams on the trot who were above us is a good way to put down a marker.

Stevenage have only won two in the last nine, all comps - 3-0 away wins at Orient and Hapless Cheltenham. Five have been draws (including two in cups after which they've lost on pengies) and they've lost to Reading and Oxford, which suggests some aversion to teams between the M40 and M4. Maybe we can pretend we're from Didcot.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Oct 01, 2023 4:46 pm

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Mon Oct 02, 2023 9:39 am

I like what I saw on Saturday

Everything that has already been said about 1st half v 2nd Half. But they were apparently at their very best in that second half according to their fans and never really created any clear opportunities. They're probably disappointed with the header from the corner that went wide.

If we win on Tuesday, it's starting to look pretty rosy and I see no reason why we can't.
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Oct 02, 2023 9:44 am

boltonboris wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2023 9:39 am
I like what I saw on Saturday

Everything that has already been said about 1st half v 2nd Half. But they were apparently at their very best in that second half according to their fans and never really created any clear opportunities. They're probably disappointed with the header from the corner that went wide.

If we win on Tuesday, it's starting to look pretty rosy and I see no reason why we can't.
Tired legs is my concern. We put a massive shift on Saturday. And bar Thomason the same players will need to go again Tuesday. Charles and Dempsey carrying injuries.

That would be my worry. However, the positive is that we beat Port Vale which makes the effort a lot more rewarding than say a 1-1. And we are at home and if we can put in a performance I'm sure home crowd backing can help.