What Age is Steven? Bolton v Stevenage Tues. 3-11-2023 7-15.

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Re: What Age is Steven? Bolton v Stevenage Tues. 3-11-2023 7-15.

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Oct 04, 2023 11:33 am

I think once Rico and Geth are available it's more like horses for courses. if we're expecting an aerial barrage we might go with a different back three than if we're expecting to have lots of time on the ball and overloads. And those two opposition facets aren't mutually exclusive - you could have a low block team that pumps it forward. So it's up to the scouts and coaches to pick the right men.

Feels like when they're back we've got more good options than in midfield, where almost all players have yet to prove themselves (either newbies or Sheehan/Morley in terms of suitability vs certain oppos), or up front, where some are looking distinctly questionable.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Wed Oct 04, 2023 2:36 pm

At half time last night my feelings weren't much different than Insanes on here. On reflection though and after 3 points I'm a lot calmer now.

They were a good side and worthy of a point. As others have said, I did like their front 2 and would have both of them on that showing.

I do wish we were a bit more 'street wise' in games like this though. From the off you could see the ref was going to let a lot of physical stuff go, so extreme shoulder charges should be responded to in kind not with blatant pushes in the back that he's going to pull up. We were being physically dominated yet we were more likely to have a man sent off than they were.

Fine margins and here, Vale and Reading could all have gone either way. I'm sure we'd have lost that last year though.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Oct 04, 2023 3:09 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2023 2:36 pm
At half time last night my feelings weren't much different than Insanes on here. On reflection though and after 3 points I'm a lot calmer now.

They were a good side and worthy of a point. As others have said, I did like their front 2 and would have both of them on that showing.

I do wish we were a bit more 'street wise' in games like this though. From the off you could see the ref was going to let a lot of physical stuff go, so extreme shoulder charges should be responded to in kind not with blatant pushes in the back that he's going to pull up. We were being physically dominated yet we were more likely to have a man sent off than they were.

Fine margins and here, Vale and Reading could all have gone either way. I'm sure we'd have lost that last year though.
I was annoyed at half time that we weren’t competing. I can live with us not having the energy or whatever but lacking the physical fight was infuriating. We found a different way second half mainly through sitting deeper and not engaging the midfield so much. It worked cos we scored two brilliant goals but both goals came out of nowhere.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Oct 04, 2023 3:37 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2023 2:36 pm

This was my read too, especially the streetwise bit - whilst there were some questionable cards handed down, there were some (for us) that were let go. I think I recall at least three blatant pushes in the back, that might have incurred cards on a Sunday League pitch...

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Oct 04, 2023 5:04 pm