Jon Dadi….

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Jon Dadi….

Post by officer_dibble » Wed Oct 04, 2023 6:22 pm

There was room for Dan (and Dion) to operate in last night - they played. 5-2-3 type formation but the front three were so far advanced there were gaps. Dan didn’t have the nous to find them…I always come back to the opinion informed last season, I don’t think he has a good football brain.
Last edited by officer_dibble on Sat Oct 07, 2023 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

irie Cee Bee
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by irie Cee Bee » Wed Oct 04, 2023 7:49 pm

The formation we play makes Jerome useless. At this age, he is effective only as a point forward playing up front alone where other attackers can run off him. He cant run. So coming on with 20 mins to go as forward, expecting him to press and run into spaces behind a tiring defense is a waste. He cant do it. So in a 2, Jerome with Dan, or with Bod, or with Ade does not work well. He needs Charles to do his running and play off him. Problem is, by that time, Charles is tired and taken off. So maybe Evatt wants him in there to defend.. and we unfortunately saw the effects of that yesterday.

DadBod, because of his injury problems recently, I think Evatt is just taking his time with him to gradually get up to speed without putting too much stress on his brittle body until he is strong enough. I expect to see more of him in upcoming games.

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Wed Oct 04, 2023 10:44 pm

irie Cee Bee wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2023 7:49 pm
The formation we play makes Jerome useless.
I don't particularly think that's true. I think its more a case of not making best use of our resources.

He's clearly been positioned as a defensive outlet intended on having a sensible approach and a decent footballing brain to lean on, experience if you will. Someone to help see out games. Jerome got lucky on Tuesday, had we lost that, he would've bore a massive criticism. Thankfully a wonder goal from Sheehan bailed him out and we're not spending all week focusing on the mistake.

We have better options than Jerome, but that's not a desire to see him miss out altogether, just to be used as you'd reasonably expect for an elder statesman that's not yet set the stage.

Spartan2
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Spartan2 » Thu Oct 05, 2023 1:00 am

My only guess is if JDB can only play 30mins I'd rather that be the last 30 than the first 30. It certainly looks like he could play more and you have to question if that's all he's capable of then why re-sign him? Whatever the case we need one more in January, cut our losses with Steptoe and son and bring in one more. That'll be four -hopefully- good forwards for two places. The major problem -apart from the fact that Evatt will almost certainly stick with Jerome and Nlundulu- is what I was saying in the summer, Evatt can't see forwards, he could pick a decent defender out of a queue at a local supermarket but forwards... I don't think he knows what qualities to look for.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Oct 05, 2023 10:14 am

Spartan2 wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2023 1:00 am
My only guess is if JDB can only play 30mins I'd rather that be the last 30 than the first 30. It certainly looks like he could play more and you have to question if that's all he's capable of then why re-sign him? Whatever the case we need one more in January, cut our losses with Steptoe and son and bring in one more. That'll be four -hopefully- good forwards for two places. The major problem -apart from the fact that Evatt will almost certainly stick with Jerome and Nlundulu- is what I was saying in the summer, Evatt can't see forwards, he could pick a decent defender out of a queue at a local supermarket but forwards... I don't think he knows what qualities to look for.
Not sure I'd quite look at it in that way. 30 minutes is an average for last season, so includes games like the 6 minutes he came on a sub v Derby etc. When he has started, 7 times in the league last year and 8 times in total he's usually on the pitch for 65-70 minutes (I've not counted the game he got injured in, obvs)...

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Oct 05, 2023 1:35 pm

A possible solution, although how feasaible I know not, is to go to the heart of the problem and just ask the boss. He surely must think the fans might be allowed to know? I actually think JonBod might be as confused as we are?
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sat Oct 07, 2023 9:34 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2023 1:22 pm
I’d like to see JDB start, with Victor on the bench on Saturday. JDB should be fully fit now and really is a better player than the pizza cup - Dans not shown that he is. Jerome, if he was a horse we would be talking about whether a shotgun or lethal injection were required!!

I was actually wondering whether matheson should have got on last night further up the field, at least he can move.

We’ve got to get through to Christmas and sort this out - release Jerome (or keep him for the Bs) and get Dan out on loan. Until then JDB is the third or second forward!
Got this wrong. Sad to see today, he looked like he couldn’t control a football let alone play a significant role this season. Completely fecking idiotic decision to give him a contract this summer. Absolutely bizzare that we had him and Dan the donkey here last season and concluded they should be signed on this summer. For money!

dave the minion
Reliable
Reliable

Post by dave the minion » Sun Oct 08, 2023 8:52 am

Not sure it's that clear. He was injured for most of last season and looking good beforehand - I absolutely get the logic of offering him a new deal.

I also recall the overwhelming majority of people on here were pretty damn pleased when it was announced.

Maybe hindsight is a wonderful thing and all that, but hardly think the decision can be described as idiotic

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sun Oct 08, 2023 9:42 am

We don’t see them in training and run the fitness tests - at his age with his injury record it was a gamble - if we hadn’t signed the donkey after the weirdest successful 6 month trial in the history of football it wouldn’t be such a bad mistake. Unfortunately it is. Our bench options are woeful and JdB being a spent force is a big part of that.

dave the minion
Reliable
Reliable

Post by dave the minion » Sun Oct 08, 2023 12:16 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Sun Oct 08, 2023 9:42 am
We don’t see them in training and run the fitness tests
Exactly this though...
Non of us see any of them in training day in day out. Evatt and the management team do, and they obviously think/thought they've seen enough of JDB & Dan (& others) to warrant a place in the squad and team...

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Oct 08, 2023 3:12 pm

dave the minion wrote:
Sun Oct 08, 2023 12:16 pm
officer_dibble wrote:
Sun Oct 08, 2023 9:42 am
We don’t see them in training and run the fitness tests
Exactly this though...
Non of us see any of them in training day in day out. Evatt and the management team do, and they obviously think/thought they've seen enough of JDB & Dan (& others) to warrant a place in the squad and team...
And the lack of judgement (that was called out in advance by non professionals) is costing the club big time. Hopefully they learn from it but given the history I’m suggesting there is scant evidence they will. First they have to accept they made the error.

dave the minion
Reliable
Reliable

Post by dave the minion » Sun Oct 08, 2023 4:31 pm

Isn't that the whole point though? Lack of judgement called out by non professionals? ie they are the professionals and the experts, so their judgement surely counts more?

I know in my job I've made great calls and equally bad calls, but very rarely I have taken counsel from a load of lay people to see what they thought first....

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Oct 08, 2023 4:49 pm

dave the minion wrote:
Sun Oct 08, 2023 4:31 pm
Isn't that the whole point though? Lack of judgement called out by non professionals? ie they are the professionals and the experts, so their judgement surely counts more?

I know in my job I've made great calls and equally bad calls, but very rarely I have taken counsel from a load of lay people to see what they thought first....
Eh? Nobody is expecting them to ask fans who we should sign but fans have an opinion and we judge the results.

And the results in October are three strikers have in the league managed one shot on target between them and zero goals.

And we are way off the pace of automatic promotion having got an aggregate score at home of 7-1 against vs teams near the bottom of the table with no money at all,

As in any job the results tell the story. We need a significant and immediate, long lasting improvement in both performances and results.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sun Oct 08, 2023 4:51 pm

Totally agree that we aren’t in the know - and the amount of times I think ‘what do I know about that’ then get proven wrong anyway on football - be a boring forum though if it was only those involved in the game could comment!

My opinion is JDB is a spent force and a poor signing. I agree with insane - the next question is whether Evatt is big enough to admit he got it wrong.

dave the minion
Reliable
Reliable

Post by dave the minion » Sun Oct 08, 2023 5:06 pm

I actually agree with you both. However, it wasn't idiotic to re-sign him. At the time most people were pleased he'd signed.
It could turn out he's a spent force - and I genuinely hope he isn't - but the decision to sign him again was right at the time based on what everyone knew then

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Oct 08, 2023 5:11 pm

dave the minion wrote:
Sun Oct 08, 2023 5:06 pm
I actually agree with you both. However, it wasn't idiotic to re-sign him. At the time most people were pleased he'd signed.
It could turn out he's a spent force - and I genuinely hope he isn't - but the decision to sign him again was right at the time based on what everyone knew then
Signing JDB was always a risk with the injuries and that was oft commented on here.

Re signing Nlundulu though for actual money was always the sort of idea that needs real and unremitting arrogance to even consider. Failed first time. Let’s spend, what down here is significant money and say he will become the next Ivan Toney. It was sheer stupidity.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sun Oct 08, 2023 5:13 pm

Alright you win, I’ll go ‘not the best piece of business’ 😃

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Oct 08, 2023 6:37 pm

With all that said, we're +1 point and +8 goals above where we were after P12 in 2016...Big difference for me, is I think we then won every game in October and only lost one in November...

That doesn't feel like the team I'm watching at the moment.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sun Oct 08, 2023 6:38 pm

We hadn’t had 7 home games against mainly poorer sides either. It’s not feeling right at all.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Oct 08, 2023 7:54 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Sun Oct 08, 2023 6:37 pm
With all that said, we're +1 point and +8 goals above where we were after P12 in 2016...Big difference for me, is I think we then won every game in October and only lost one in November...

That doesn't feel like the team I'm watching at the moment.
Not sure comparing to 2016 is that relevant. The league is different now. The points required will be higher and since 2016 league one has been infiltrated by money from the championship.

The standard at the top is higher at the bottom lower. I’d be comparing PPG with the top two as that gives the sort of markers we will likely need to hit.