Sole destroying: Northampton home Sat 21/10 15:00

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Sole destroying: Northampton home Sat 21/10 15:00

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Oct 22, 2023 11:17 am

DJBlu wrote:
Sun Oct 22, 2023 9:56 am
Just for shits and giggles, flip the halves around and we come back from being 1 down to win 2-1, are we happier?

I ask as I still can't get how we're allowing the second half set the tone for the whole game.
Yeah we (well most of us) are. I was thinking this last night. It's part recency bias and part #narrative. Couple of seasons ago we scored some very late goals to rescue point/s against some poor teams, and the feeling was euphoric – although of course some correspondents were less triumphant.

As is often the case, there is some truth in what BWFCi says - we really *should* be more consistent - but it's buried beneath loud layers of histrionics and hyperbole. I believe one phrase was "absolute unadulterated garbage" – I'd say the "garbage" was pretty adulterated by that impressive first 30 minutes, which therefore makes it anything but absolute. That might seem like semantic pedantry but it's indicative of the hysterical tone. It's perfectly possible for things to be neither 100% nor 0% - as we've seen many many times. But considered opinion is less colourful.

At Wycombe and Charlton, we'll have to be better than we were in the second half, and we fans have the right to hope for more like that first half-hour. I certainly do, as I'm going to both games. I'll report back as and when possible, but don't expect primary colours of "HOLLAND 74!!!" or "BLIND SCHOOL RESERVES!!!" because life's just more complicated than that.
Last edited by Dave Sutton's barnet on Sun Oct 22, 2023 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sun Oct 22, 2023 11:19 am

"Football is all about results. It doesn't matter how you play it's just about winning."

"No, not like that!"
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Oct 22, 2023 11:29 am

Prufrock wrote:
Sun Oct 22, 2023 11:19 am
"Football is all about results. It doesn't matter how you play it's just about winning."

"No, not like that!"
The dire imprecation (which has merit) is that we won't win if we keep playing like that. And the wonder of football is that there's almost always another threat/opportunity just days away. The #narrative never ends.

As I said at FT, it's a result/performance that suits everyone, no matter how they view their 50%-capacity beaker.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Oct 22, 2023 11:45 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Sun Oct 22, 2023 11:29 am
Prufrock wrote:
Sun Oct 22, 2023 11:19 am

"No, not like that!"
The dire imprecation (which has merit) is that we won't win if we keep playing like that. And the wonder of football is that there's almost always another threat/opportunity just days away. The #narrative never ends.

As I said at FT, it's a result/performance that suits everyone, no matter how they view their 50%-capacity beaker.
It does have merit. And plenty of it. Had they turned it into a 2-3 - Reading style, I'm pretty sure there'd have been plenty of comments as to how poor we were second half...but it doesn't take Mystic Meg to see that, we can all see it. Fact is, it didn't occur. Could have? Yes. But didn't so no.

Of course every team ever promoted has maximised the ability to entertain for the full 90 and well as accumulate points. I don't recall any luck, ground out results, poor spells in any previous promotion season. There's plenty of games City are 2 up and just fart about with the foot barely on the gas, playing keep ball.

BorsdaneWhite
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by BorsdaneWhite » Sun Oct 22, 2023 11:51 am

Just watched the extended highlights and frustrations confirmed. They really were irresistible in the first half. I forgot we missed two free headers from corners, Thomason, Charles, and Morley had opportunities from the edge of the box. Also that Vic chance when he—for some reason (albeit successfully)—kept the ball and hit it wide with the outside of his boot, rather than playing it to a wide open Cogley.

Really need some more goals from midfield and the wing backs, I think. Game totally passed Maghoma by when he came on. Morley played a couple of beautiful passes, but was very sloppy otherwise. Perhaps he needs a worldie to build his confidence.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sun Oct 22, 2023 12:23 pm

DJBlu wrote:
Sun Oct 22, 2023 9:56 am
Just for shits and giggles, flip the halves around and we come back from being 1 down to win 2-1, are we happier?

I ask as I still can't get how we're allowing the second half set the tone for the whole game.
With a goal each from Dan and JDB….? 😳

As an aside JDB was cheered onto the pitch…poor old Dan got groans and grumbles. Internet tenner says we get a fan bollocking before Christmas for not supporting Dan and knocking his confidence by Ian.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Oct 22, 2023 12:31 pm

I reckon Dan wouldn't have got (as m)any groans and grumbles if we'd been 6-0 up. Fans and players are in a symbiotic relationship – a circle which can be virtuous or vicious.

Used to be that a dodgy performance and a grumbly crowd could be lifted by a good solid sliding tackle, the sort to make a paddock roar and make us all remember we're on the safe side. Not many of those these days - although on a related note I see Thomo got through 90 without a yellow for only the second time this season. Evidence typifying the second half shirkers? or growing maturity? Guess it depends how each man describes his 50% glass.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sun Oct 22, 2023 12:52 pm

Thomo lucky to escape late on I think!

The think I picked up on with the subs was they both came on at the same time - JDB to cheers and Dan to groans. Yeah if we were 6 up that might not be the case but it’s part of the narrative to our sloppy second(s) halves. I think they will have to cut losses on him in Jan.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Oct 22, 2023 12:58 pm

This isn’t about how we play. Or even whether we play well or poorly. It’s about not wanting to watch us just not try for parts of games or extended periods.

Dan a prime example as has been noted by several on social media. Came on with twenty odd to go and jogged round the pitch with no intent to get involved. His one contribution directing a free header straight to them at which point the ground lost any patience.

There is a minimum level that we regularly sink below.

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bertie Wooster » Sun Oct 22, 2023 1:21 pm

The issue for me is that Evatt is incapable of changing things, he does the same thing every game even if its not working.

I honestly wonder what the hell they do in training every week, because game after game they do the same thing, make the same errors and play with the same slow, lethargic, can't be arsed attitude & lack of intensity after 30 mins, and Evatt makes the same ineffective substitutions every game which kill the game even more.

Also, why can he not motivate them in the 2nd half of games, he says they didn't take on board his HT messages which they haven't all season - perhaps Evatt himself needs to take a look at his own management style and ask himself why the players are not listening to him at all.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Oct 22, 2023 1:25 pm