Sole destroying: Northampton home Sat 21/10 15:00

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Sole destroying: Northampton home Sat 21/10 15:00

Post by officer_dibble » Thu Oct 19, 2023 7:05 pm

Back to winning ways?
Maghoma in for Dempsey, or will Morley get the shirt?

Santos will be back - I would keep Forester and probably Iredale in for balance, plenty would play Toal but I’m hoping we get forward a bit more on Saturday. Wouldn’t be surprised to see Jones come back in but I would be a bit disappointed. Forester has played well.

They have only conceded 11 times this season so no prizes for guessing how they will set up. Hopefully we don’t need our finishers to finish it.

knobpolisher
Reliable
Reliable

Re: Sole destroying: Northampton home Sat 21/10 15:00

Post by knobpolisher » Fri Oct 20, 2023 7:52 am

A fit Dempsey would certainly be a big miss but in recent games he's clearly not been on top form,

2 - 0 to the one and only.
Currently 12 hours removed in new zealand so Mrs KP will certainly not allow a 3.00 am stream.
People haven't got a good word for you, but i have T**T.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Oct 20, 2023 8:15 am

Need to see massive intensity for the full game. Want us playing much faster. Balls into the box. Pin them back. Make them defend their area for long periods. End all the passing sideways in front of teams. We need to be far more active in ball recovery, not ponderous and slow and lacking intensity.

A game like this you need to stamp your authority all over the opposition from minute one and never let up the intensity.

For me the big thing we’ve lacked has been intensity. We need that now not just for a game or part of a game but for every minute of every game

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Fri Oct 20, 2023 8:26 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2023 8:15 am
Need to see massive intensity for the full game. Want us playing much faster. Balls into the box. Pin them back. Make them defend their area for long periods. End all the passing sideways in front of teams. We need to be far more active in ball recovery, not ponderous and slow and lacking intensity.

A game like this you need to stamp your authority all over the opposition from minute one and never let up the intensity.

For me the big thing we’ve lacked has been intensity. We need that now not just for a game or part of a game but for every minute of every game
We've got players coming back from injury and playing a long 4 weeks of Sat - Tues fixtures. To go full intensity all match might cost us further injuries.

I'd argue we need to match, and better Northampton's intensity at times. I think its a case of not letting ourselves get overwhelmed by the opposition and having us control the game.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Oct 20, 2023 9:22 am

Mar wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2023 8:26 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2023 8:15 am

We've got players coming back from injury and playing a long 4 weeks of Sat - Tues fixtures. To go full intensity all match might cost us further injuries.

I'd argue we need to match, and better Northampton's intensity at times. I think its a case of not letting ourselves get overwhelmed by the opposition and having us control the game.
You can have rest when 4-0 up or at the end of the season.

These are professional footballers playing teams with far fewer resources who are also facing the same fixture list.

If we aren’t able to play at the same or greater intensity then something has gone seriously wrong.

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Fri Oct 20, 2023 9:47 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2023 9:22 am
If we aren’t able to play at the same or greater intensity then something has gone seriously wrong.
Exactly, we should be matching their intensity throughout the match.

I don't however think its feasible to be at 100% intensity all game, let alone all the season.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Oct 20, 2023 10:44 am

Mar wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2023 9:47 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2023 9:22 am
Exactly, we should be matching their intensity throughout the match.

I don't however think its feasible to be at 100% intensity all game, let alone all the season.
You create the periods of rest by playing at high levels of intensity and putting games to bed. Then a manager can use their subs to rest key players. Won’t happen every week but enough to get through.

Our problem is we make excuses all the time, and often lack the required intensity even when we win. It’s about standards. You need to be on it game after game to go up. Managers should demand that intensity from the off.

I don’t want to see us passing the ball sideways, slowly and letting teams get behind the ball into shape and then letting them easily get out on transition.

A lot of our issues stem from a lack of workrate in games. You have to be prepared to be first to the ball, outrun the other team, out challenge them, out jump them. Do that and I think we will win many more games, but if there is a game you don’t do that you will almost certainly fail to win. And the problem is our team too often turns up and doesn’t do that.

It’s the basic requirement and has to be delivered now consistently game after game. Simplify what we do. Work the positions, deliver the ball, get people in the box, if it breaks down be incredibly strong in the transition etc…I think most teams wouldn’t live with us doing that especially at home.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Fri Oct 20, 2023 11:45 am

Selection decisions to be made at the back and in midfield, which hasn't really been the case for our past few matches.

Baxter

Toal Santos Iredale

Sheehan Thomason

JDC Maghoma Williams

Vic Charles

2-0 Bolton

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Fri Oct 20, 2023 12:34 pm

knobpolisher wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2023 7:52 am
A fit Dempsey would certainly be a big miss but in recent games he's clearly not been on top form,

2 - 0 to the one and only.
He was very poor against Carlisle and perhaps this injury explains it. Maghomas unlikely to be fit enough to start so presumably that's Morley, Sheehan and young George as the middle 3?

I'd agree with 2-0
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Fri Oct 20, 2023 3:29 pm

I hope Maghoma is fit to start, it’s about bloody time some of these players were! Sheehan/Morley/Thomasson just isn’t dynamic enough for me…

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Sat Oct 21, 2023 1:15 am

officer_dibble wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2023 3:29 pm
I hope Maghoma is fit to start, it’s about bloody time some of these players were! Sheehan/Morley/Thomasson just isn’t dynamic enough for me…
Not sure about not being dynamic enough. There's certainly something that feels a little off. I suspect part of it is down to us knowing who is playing.

Throw some additional options in there, fighting for spots and hopefully we'll get a few more selection headaches.

For me Morley starts with Maghoma coming off the bench. Hopefully that'll be Morley back with a hunger to keep the spot.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Oct 21, 2023 9:22 am

Put simply...COME ON YOU WHITES...... :oyea: :oyea: :oyea:

ae:)
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Oct 21, 2023 1:21 pm

Mar wrote:
Sat Oct 21, 2023 1:15 am
officer_dibble wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2023 3:29 pm
Not sure about not being dynamic enough. There's certainly something that feels a little off. I suspect part of it is down to us knowing who is playing.

Throw some additional options in there, fighting for spots and hopefully we'll get a few more selection headaches.

For me Morley starts with Maghoma coming off the bench. Hopefully that'll be Morley back with a hunger to keep the spot.
Sheehan, Morley and Thomason is not strong enough, or dynamic enough. They all struggle to cover ground in the way modern midfield demands at the pace it demands.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Oct 21, 2023 2:01 pm

Morley in, old hands back at the back, Forester on bench wi Maghoma

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Sat Oct 21, 2023 2:38 pm

Jones extremely fortuitous to regain his place. He needs to put in a good showing to justify his manager’s faith.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Oct 21, 2023 2:39 pm

Bod's on the bench again. Hope he gets to play and scores a hat trick.... :oyea:

Amen. ae:) ae:)

sonicthewhite
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by sonicthewhite » Sat Oct 21, 2023 3:01 pm

Probably the right team selection. We'll need the use of the full squad over the next couple of months. With regards to Gethin, Evatt could be banking on his desire to make amends. If so, let's hope he's not too enthusiastic to impress.
Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!

And the key to a result is a good :kettle:

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Sat Oct 21, 2023 3:03 pm

sonicthewhite wrote:
Sat Oct 21, 2023 3:01 pm
Probably the right team selection. We'll need the use of the full squad over the next couple of months. With regards to Gethin, Evatt could be banking on his desire to make amends. If so, let's hope he's not too enthusiastic to impress.
He played well in the game vs United U18s, I think he'll want to carry that on.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Oct 21, 2023 3:04 pm

Gethin Jones to be M.O.T.M... :oyea:

Spartan2
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Spartan2 » Sat Oct 21, 2023 3:09 pm

I thought you couldn't be offside from a throw in? :conf: