Wycombe and we go: Away vs Wycombe (Tues 24th October 19:45)

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Wycombe and we go: Away vs Wycombe (Tues 24th October 19:45)

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Oct 26, 2023 10:58 am

Mar wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2023 10:07 am
You would've thought so, but we've clearly focused a lot of our play down the right which has led to the left not being leveraged as much as the right. Williams does look good and John's looked good previously, but neither have yet to surpass how good the right side has looked.
Well, that's partly a vicious/virtuous circle thing - if you've got a good player on one side and a cack-act on the other, you'll leant toward the better lad.

But yeah. If you've a lot of right-footers, often the more natural pass is rightwards. And fellas like Sheehan and Morley, some of the 'passiest' players in the division, are still very not left-footed.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Oct 26, 2023 11:00 am

officer_dibble wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2023 10:52 am
I quite liked Ben Jackson…probably not a wing back kind. Ashworth is our other option - he’s nowhere near the side either. Hence why JDC played there Tuesday! Infact Ashworths been that unimpressive I’m awaiting Ian telling us next summer he can turn him into the next Keiron Trippier…
Yeah, I liked what I saw of Jackson - played a couple of dozen Champo games last season.

Game of opinions and all that but I think it's a bit harsh to say Ashworth's been unimpressive. Just not really grabbed the chances he's had – because they've mainly been in the cups, and he's had niggly injuries (which I think is why he's been out of the 18 this past fortnight, rather than being dropped). Also doesn't help him when Iredale is out of the XI as Jack offers LWB cover.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Thu Oct 26, 2023 11:04 am

Oh yeah I wouldn’t write him off, but I did only just remember he existed when reading your post. He had a right back play his position on Tuesday and wasn’t on the bench so not a good sign.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Oct 26, 2023 11:32 am

officer_dibble wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2023 11:04 am
Oh yeah I wouldn’t write him off, but I did only just remember he existed when reading your post. He had a right back play his position on Tuesday and wasn’t on the bench so not a good sign.
I think I read he's injured again. Although as we get back to having 18 seniors available it's harder for him to get on the bench. Note that Evatt also chose not to pick Iredale, a potential LWB who is also a centre-back and thus useful against set-piece threats like Wycombe.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Thu Oct 26, 2023 11:39 am

Iredale not being picked threw me (and BWFCI) pre kick off. Felt like the reason was keeping Gethin in the side for his leadership qualities.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Oct 26, 2023 12:10 pm

You may raise eyebrows in surprise, but there was a time when I was sure Jones would be our next left-side wing back. :shock:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Oct 26, 2023 1:02 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2023 11:39 am
Iredale not being picked threw me (and BWFCI) pre kick off. Felt like the reason was keeping Gethin in the side for his leadership qualities.
Yeah, which you can sort of see. We've often been accused of lacking leaders – bottlers, shirkers, etc and so on - so you could imagine why the vice-captain would be handed one of the tin hats.
TANGODANCER wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2023 12:10 pm
You may raise eyebrows in surprise, but there was a time when I was sure Jones would be our next left-side wing back. :shock:
That's what I thought on Tuesday until 7.45pm. Flanners seemed to think Geth played LWB at Wycombe last year; I can't recall now – can't recall what I had for my tea three days ago...

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Thu Oct 26, 2023 2:10 pm

Speaking of gaps in recollection, I can't remember Jones doing anything at all on Tuesday (good or bad). Was that just me being unobservant, or was he fairly anonymous?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Oct 26, 2023 2:33 pm

The_Gun wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2023 2:10 pm
Speaking of gaps in recollection, I can't remember Jones doing anything at all on Tuesday (good or bad). Was that just me being unobservant, or was he fairly anonymous?
I wouldn't say he was anonymous, TG. For a start, his name was on his shirt :D

He headed on the clearance for Jerome to run on to and win a pengy. He defended stoutly with the rest when called upon in the second half. In the first half he wasn't overly penetrative but neither did I get the sense he was hiding. In truth our first-half gameplan didn't often involve the wingbacks in attacking play - it was more about movement up the middle.

It was, as is so often the case, a solid doughty performance like you used to get from old-fashioned full-backs: neither limelight-grabbing nor effort-shunning.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Oct 26, 2023 2:45 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2023 2:33 pm
The_Gun wrote:

He headed on the clearance for Jerome to run on to and win a pengy. He defended stoutly with the rest when called upon in the second half. In the first half he wasn't overly penetrative but neither did I get the sense he was hiding. In truth our first-half gameplan didn't often involve the wingbacks in attacking play - it was more about movement up the middle.

It was, as is so often the case, a solid doughty performance like you used to get from old-fashioned full-backs: neither limelight-grabbing nor effort-shunning.
Yeah - it felt a little more like a back 4 than a 3 at times (even though I'm not sure that was the intent)...

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Oct 26, 2023 3:02 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2023 2:45 pm
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2023 2:33 pm
The_Gun wrote:

Yeah - it felt a little more like a back 4 than a 3 at times (even though I'm not sure that was the intent)...
If I were a centre-back facing Wycombe I'd be more comfortable with a Geth than a Randy...