Wycombe and we go: Away vs Wycombe (Tues 24th October 19:45)

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Mar
Icon
Icon

Wycombe and we go: Away vs Wycombe (Tues 24th October 19:45)

Post by Mar » Sun Oct 22, 2023 7:08 pm

After being back to winning ways, we go again, this time away vs Wycombe in a fixture where we have never won.

Sure we've beat Wycombe before, once, last season:

2019-20: Wycombe 2 Bolton 0
2019-20: Bolton 0 Wycombe 2
2020-21: Wycombe 1 Bolton 0
2020-21: Bolton 0 Wycombe 2
2022-23: Bolton 3 Wycombe 0
2022-23: Wycombe 1 Bolton 0

Total: P6 W1 D0 L5 F3 A7

It's not a good record, and whilst we could easily consider 2019-20 a right off, the rest of the results don't sound great. They were all under Gareth Ainsworth, so now we're against a new manager Matt Bloomfield. Whether their approach of strong and physical hoof will have changed remains to be seen.

If we're having serious considerations about automatic promotion, games like this are exactly the ones we should be finding a way to win.
Last edited by Mar on Mon Oct 23, 2023 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Wycombe and we go: Away vs Wycombe (Tues 24th October 19:45)

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Oct 22, 2023 7:41 pm

Mar wrote:
Sun Oct 22, 2023 7:08 pm
we're against a new manager Matt Bloomfield. Whether their approach of strong and physical hoof will have changed remains to be seen.
Not really. They're slightly less "fast and direct" than Carlisle, a lot less so than divisional outliers Stevenage, but still more so than 18 or 19 divisional rivals.

Nobody in L1 has scored more goals than them from set pieces... but only two teams have conceded more from open play.

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Sun Oct 22, 2023 10:26 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Sun Oct 22, 2023 7:41 pm
Mar wrote:
we're against a new manager Matt Bloomfield. Whether their approach of strong and physical hoof will have changed remains to be seen.
Not really. They're slightly less "fast and direct" than Carlisle, a lot less so than divisional outliers Stevenage, but still more so than 18 or 19 divisional rivals.

Nobody in L1 has scored more goals than them from set pieces... but only two teams have conceded more from open play.
My thoughts were in terms of transitioning from what Ainsworth was playing into his own style. He's only had one transfer window to make changes. Like how Sammy Lee wanted to changes us, when we all knew the resources we had suited the Allardyce style.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sun Oct 22, 2023 10:38 pm

Mar wrote:

2019-20: Wycombe 3 Bolton 0

Total: P6 W1 D0 L5 F3 A8
Point of order here! 2019 on the opening day was a 2-0 loss, not 3-0.

We do have a shocking, short but recent, record here. I don't think they're as erm robust, or as cynical as they were under Gareth Ainsworth but they have hit form lately and it's a tough one.

I'm going for an optimistic 1-1 draw.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Oct 22, 2023 10:48 pm

Mar wrote:
Sun Oct 22, 2023 10:26 pm
Sun Oct 22, 2023 7:41 pm
Mar wrote:

My thoughts were in terms of transitioning from what Ainsworth was playing into his own style. He's only had one transfer window to make changes. Like how Sammy Lee wanted to changes us, when we all knew the resources we had suited the Allardyce style.
Sort of. Only one window but a full window and the last three months of last season, including player releases. Eight months today, so it’s not like his suitcase is still in the car.

Anyway. Judging by the Opta metrics his team (this season) isn’t quite as long/fast as Ainsworth’s, but still leans that way more than most these days. No idea what they’re like on the uncountable shithousery attributes Harry mentions. But as correctly noted, we need to be able to beat all sorts and at our best we can. I’m starting to wonder if our biggest opponent isn’t ourselves.

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Mon Oct 23, 2023 12:10 am

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Sun Oct 22, 2023 10:38 pm
Mar wrote:

2019-20: Wycombe 3 Bolton 0

Total: P6 W1 D0 L5 F3 A8
Point of order here! 2019 on the opening day was a 2-0 loss, not 3-0.

We do have a shocking, short but recent, record here. I don't think they're as erm robust, or as cynical as they were under Gareth Ainsworth but they have hit form lately and it's a tough one.

I'm going for an optimistic 1-1 draw.
Indeed Harry. I'll amend the results, thanks for point that out. I'll amend.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Oct 23, 2023 8:25 am

It feels like a game where its obvious to the players that anything short of full effort and we could end up with a poor result.

So probably they'll put the work in for this game like for example Port Vale away.

Blackpool at home - that's the game I'd fear most of upcoming ones!

BorsdaneWhite
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by BorsdaneWhite » Mon Oct 23, 2023 9:00 am

Sadlier winner all over it.

sonicthewhite
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by sonicthewhite » Mon Oct 23, 2023 9:05 am

It's this Wycombe hoodoo that is the type of thing that needs putting to bed. Give the troops a blood and thunder speech and get them to put Wycombe to the sword. IF we could do that it would be a significant mental boost and should roll over nicely into playing those t0ssers from the seaside.
Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!

And the key to a result is a good :kettle:

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Oct 23, 2023 9:36 am

Time to prove who really are the "One and only Wanderers.". No talk or sabre rattling, just get in there and score goals. Get a start with Jon Bod, then soak up the pressure and bring on Dion the goal machine. COME ON YOU WHITES... :oyea: :oyea: :oyea:

ae:) ae:) ae:)
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Oct 23, 2023 9:46 am

TANGODANCER wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2023 9:36 am
Time to prove who really are the "One and only Wanderers.". No talk or sabre rattling, just get in there and score goals. Get a start with Jon Bod, then soak up the pressure and bring on Dion the goal machine.[colour=#0000BF] COME ON YOU WHITES...[/color] :oyea: :oyea: :oyea:

Seriously I love JDB but there is no way on gods green earth he should be starting. I don't even think he's a sub option really (or in an ideal world would be).

He looks to me like his legs have completely gone.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Oct 23, 2023 10:16 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2023 9:46 am
TANGODANCER wrote:
Time to prove who really are the "One and only Wanderers.". No talk or sabre rattling, just get in there and score goals. Get a start with Jon Bod, then soak up the pressure and bring on Dion the goal machine.[colour=#0000BF] COME ON YOU WHITES...[/color] :oyea: :oyea: :oyea:

Seriously I love JDB but there is no way on gods green earth he should be starting. I don't even think he's a sub option really (or in an ideal world would be).

We're playing away against a side we have a bad record against and who will come at us from the get-go. Admittedly, my ideas are out of sync with some and limited viewing,, but why tire Charles out part-defending from the start? . Jon Bod can work the ball and he'll prove nothing sat on a bench. What are you basing your view on; he's hardly played since coming back from injury.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Oct 23, 2023 10:25 am

TANGODANCER wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2023 10:16 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2023 9:46 am
TANGODANCER wrote:

We're playing away against a side we have a bad record against and who will come at us from the get-go. Admittedly, my ideas are out of sync with some and limited viewing,, but why tire Charles out part-defending from the start? . Jon Bod can work the ball and he'll prove nothing sat on a bench. What are you basing your view on; he's hardly played since coming back from injury.
Watching him live. Love him as a player but he's a long long long way from where he was. It might be as you say he needs games but he won't get games right now because he struggles big time when he comes on.

Part of it is because when he comes on we've stopped bothering with much and are in our lazy ways and he gets little to work with but even that aside - he struggles to even look able to chase lost causes as for me he's off the pace - by a noticeable amount.

I'd absolutely love for him to come good because he's still at his peak miles above anyone else we can play with Charles but I'd have to question if he can regain his peak form at his age after the injuries. He's clearly desperate to try but I also feel (based just on gut feeling) there may have been a fallout behind the scenes.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Oct 23, 2023 10:26 am

I like Bod, but he's yet to prove he's worth a start. Admittedly he hasn't always had long to impress but there was a game recently where his every touch was so bad that he looked like Dan.

I would love him to come (back) good but in his sub appearances he hasn't offered a different threat so much as weakened us. It's all too common this season with our subs.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Oct 23, 2023 10:31 am

Mon Oct 23, 2023 10:26 am
I like Bod, but he's yet to prove he's worth a start. Admittedly he hasn't always had long to impress but there was a game recently where his every touch was so bad that he looked like Dan.

I would love him to come (back) good but in his sub appearances he hasn't offered a different threat so much as weakened us. It's all too common this season with our subs.
The crowd have clearly had enough of Nlundulu and can hardly blame them. But I did note a bit of arguing outside the stadium that JDB is given a hero's reception yet has done little to warrant it this season - and yet Nlundulu is more or less jeered on - I think that's probably fair.

Neither have shown enough apart from against Man Utd kids which I'd say was 5 levels or more below league 1 standard.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Oct 23, 2023 12:25 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2023 10:31 am
The crowd have clearly had enough of Nlundulu and can hardly blame them. But I did note a bit of arguing outside the stadium that JDB is given a hero's reception yet has done little to warrant it this season - and yet Nlundulu is more or less jeered on - I think that's probably fair.

Neither have shown enough apart from against Man Utd kids which I'd say was 5 levels or more below league 1 standard.
It's fair to question the different receptions, or the different receptions are fair?

It's possible both are fair. Bod's stock is high after previous successes (and then injuries making himn the King Over The Water), so I understand why he has his supporters: he has proven that he can be good. But it's also fair to question different treatment.

That longish sub appearance was so consistently disappointing that I was reminded of that recent experiment where Computer Boffins replaced female France players with their male counterparts, and found that many (male) observers rated the blokes' endeavours more highly even though they were literally the same thing. If someone had ripped off the Bod mask, Scooby Doo-style, to reveal Dan it would have made perfect sense.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Oct 23, 2023 2:05 pm

Mon Oct 23, 2023 12:25 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2023 10:31 am

It's fair to question the different receptions, or the different receptions are fair?

It's possible both are fair. Bod's stock is high after previous successes (and then injuries making himn the King Over The Water), so I understand why he has his supporters: he has proven that he can be good. But it's also fair to question different treatment.

That longish sub appearance was so consistently disappointing that I was reminded of that recent experiment where Computer Boffins replaced female France players with their male counterparts, and found that many (male) observers rated the blokes' endeavours more highly even though they were literally the same thing. If someone had ripped off the Bod mask, Scooby Doo-style, to reveal Dan it would have made perfect sense.
Fair to question the different receptions.

I mean instinctively I really like JDB for what he's done here and think Dan is a classic failed premier league molly coddled drop out who is never going to make it bar a massive shift in attitude and huge amount of effort that looks unlikely.

But I'd not say seeing either one fills me with any enthusiasm in the here and now.

I absolutely agree with the 'non plussed' reception of Nlundulu and the stadium wide infuriation at his only meaningful touch being useless as ever - but as much as I love him the huge applause (almost sarcastic that he wasn't starting) JDB got when he came on is based on what in even medium term history? His last league goal was January no?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Oct 23, 2023 2:16 pm

Cleasrly he's got a lot of credit in the bank, although his manager might scoff at such a notion.

As you hint, I suspect a decent slice of those who complain that JDB isn't starting also have other complaints about Evatt. Which, again, is fair - but it doesn't mean Bod should start, IMO.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Mon Oct 23, 2023 2:20 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2023 8:25 am

So probably they'll put the work in for this game like for example Port Vale away.
I'd fault some of our lot for bad decisions, poor execution etc but they always work hard. Port Vale looked no different than Reading or Saturday to me. We didn't take enough of our chances when they came our way in the first half which meant we were riding our luck in the 2nd, particularly when we take Charles off. We got away with it at Vale, a little bit on Saturday and came a cropper at Reading.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Oct 23, 2023 2:22 pm

Mon Oct 23, 2023 2:16 pm
Cleasrly he's got a lot of credit in the bank, although his manager might scoff at such a notion.

As you hint, I suspect a decent slice of those who complain that JDB isn't starting also have other complaints about Evatt. Which, again, is fair - but it doesn't mean Bod should start, IMO.
Yeah but this was stadium wide and instinctive - the sort of applause to - 'send a message to the manager' type thing.

I find that odd simply because there is scant evidence that he's going to be better than Vic - who is much improved for me this season - still (and not his fault) a very very underwhelming signing for the money paid though.