Wycombe and we go: Away vs Wycombe (Tues 24th October 19:45)

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Wycombe and we go: Away vs Wycombe (Tues 24th October 19:45)

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Oct 24, 2023 11:46 pm

dave the minion wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2023 11:08 pm
Which is fine, but there is another team involved. One who has probably had an absolute rocket put up them at half time for being 2 nil down, so come out all guns blazing and making it far harder for us to press on and get that 3rd goal....
Don't disagree with that. We just manage to look so headless about it. :-) Similarly, having come back to 2-2, there's a reasonable suggestion that they had all the momentum - but at that point, we hit the fcuk you switch and flipped the pressure, despite it being theoretically much harder! It's not a real grumble, just a "wtf are you doing this to me?"

Didn't most folks watching at some point between 46-80 minutes at least in their heads say "wtf's going on Whites?" :-)

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Oct 25, 2023 7:56 am

Worthy4England wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2023 11:46 pm
dave the minion wrote:
Which is fine, but there is another team involved. One who has probably had an absolute rocket put up them at half time for being 2 nil down, so come out all guns blazing and making it far harder for us to press on and get that 3rd goal....
Don't disagree with that. We just manage to look so headless about it. :-) Similarly, having come back to 2-2, there's a reasonable suggestion that they had all the momentum - but at that point, we hit the fcuk you switch and flipped the pressure, despite it being theoretically much harder! It's not a real grumble, just a "wtf are you doing this to me?"

Didn't most folks watching at some point between 46-80 minutes at least in their heads say "wtf's going on Whites?" :-)
Worth considering too that at 2-2 Wycombe who fought hard have something to protect and maybe take a step back from sitting right on top of us psychologically to try and make sure they don’t concede.

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bertie Wooster » Wed Oct 25, 2023 8:14 am

Didn't watch it therefore I can't comment on the actual performance but a great win, it at least shows some spirit for them to come back from 2-2. When they came back to 2-2 I did think here we go again and feared the worst, but was pleasantly surprised with the two late goals.

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Wed Oct 25, 2023 8:43 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2023 7:56 am
Worthy4England wrote:
dave the minion wrote:

Worth considering too that at 2-2 Wycombe who fought hard have something to protect and maybe take a step back from sitting right on top of us psychologically to try and make sure they don’t concede.
Just like going 2 up and having something to protect?

BorsdaneWhite
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by BorsdaneWhite » Wed Oct 25, 2023 9:11 am

[youtube]https://youtu.be/A53JJ6h_UnY?si=Ys7g8irD5nWajAYy[/youtube]

Celebrations for Toal’s are wonderful. Bench emptied.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Oct 25, 2023 9:20 am

DJBlu wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2023 8:43 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:
dave the minion wrote:

Wonder why it is okay for other teams to do that and not us?
TBF, I reckon a few Wycombe fans might be asking "why, when we did the hard part" and I guess why it's OK for other teams but not us, for me, is we want to be better than other teams and get promoted, so the measures probably can't be the same, otherwise you end up at the average.

You could hear Brownie in the background talking about inviting pressure and lack of out ball, and I think as most observed there's more than one thing going on. So yup, they stepped onto us, kudos them.

But when we did then get the ball back, they turned that possession back to them pretty quickly where it felt like we needed a few cooler heads and better pressure relief.

It's not a nag particularly, don't want anyone sacked, delighted with the win the comebacks comeback and 3 more points, and as others said, there were some really good first half efforts from our team. Maghoma was great. I mean if we want to stretch the point, we could say we looked favourites to lose until Dan and Cam came on!

The biggest disappointment was, I thought Derek had finally settled how the word "scone" is pronounced, until I looked and found out it was Scowen...

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Oct 25, 2023 10:16 am

Most heartening thing about last night for me was the ability to come back after seeing a potential win become a draw. The team didn't capitulate or give up, but came back fighting and got their just reward. The penalty glorified the score a bit, but even without it we had the points. Well done the lads. Four goals and not a striker in sight...Love it. :oyea:

ae:)
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Oct 25, 2023 10:31 am

DJBlu wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2023 8:43 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:
dave the minion wrote:

I mean sure. The problem is the disparity in our performances between teams being on the front foot against us and on the back foot. And there are times you have to deal with both across a season even within a game and we struggle hugely when teams get in our faces in midfield and deny us the time. And as you say that may be compounded by a psychological retreat to protect what we have. But even if we sat back second half and just tried to stay in a solid shape we aren’t particularly good at that and become lazily sloppy.

We didn’t get away with it against Carlisle or Reading and whilst we did get away with it against Northampton and showed resilience to go again against Wycombe which is good the bottom line is we need to really fix it. We can’t always be three up. Sometimes we have to be able to play against a second half Wycombe team and get the balance right.

I fundamentally think we need more ‘robustness’ in midfield and most of our problems would be addressed with that. As Brown said we also have a more structural problem that we have no outlet when a team pushes us back. No pace to hit out wide. No real effective target up front. So we basically become very passive until the other team either backs off or we are able to step up in midfield. It’s too limiting again because sometimes teams will be able to effect that midfield squeeze and we won’t be able to prevent it so we need to find a way out from there.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Oct 25, 2023 10:37 am

I'll probably write more in a bit but here's a quick puzzle for you.

To win the penalty that brought our 4th (that's right, fourth) goal last night, Cameron Jerome was fouled by Richard Keogh, who is one of only three players to feature in League One this season who's older than Jerome. (By three days, in his case.) Who are the other two? Clue: One of them used to play for us, or at least run around a lot; the other moved clubs this summer.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Oct 25, 2023 10:44 am

"Backs behind the wall..." :D

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Oct 25, 2023 10:47 am

BorsdaneWhite wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2023 9:11 am

Fixed for you BW. And yes - if you watch the official-account Tweet of Toaly's goal that I just posted, you'll see Dion – who still hasn't got his coat on, possibly still arguing with the coaches about being subbed – racing to the flag to join in. And Vic was straight out jabbing his index fingers into his temples, the internationally recognised sign for "concentrate". Wonderful togetherness.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Oct 25, 2023 11:17 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2023 10:47 am
And Vic was straight out jabbing his index fingers into his temples, the internationally recognised sign for "concentrate". Wonderful togetherness.
Oh - that used to be "You've got a screw loose/mental" back in the day, so I was a bit confused! :-)

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Oct 25, 2023 11:21 am

TANGODANCER wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2023 10:16 am
Most heartening thing about last night for me was the ability to come back after seeing a potential win become a draw. The team didn't capitulate or give up, but came back fighting and got their just reward. The penalty glorified the score a bit, but even without it we had the points. Well done the lads. Four goals and not a striker in sight...Love it. :oyea:

ae:)
We can talk about whether the pengy made it look a better score than deserved, but it was as nailed on a pengy as you'll see, through on goal, just keeper to beat. I was a bit mystified as to how it wasn't a red, too.

BorsdaneWhite
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by BorsdaneWhite » Wed Oct 25, 2023 11:24 am

BorsdaneWhite wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2023 9:11 am

Fixed for you BW. And yes - if you watch the official-account Tweet of Toaly's goal that I just posted, you'll see Dion – who still hasn't got his coat on, possibly still arguing with the coaches about being subbed – racing to the flag to join in. And Vic was straight out jabbing his index fingers into his temples, the internationally recognised sign for "concentrate". Wonderful togetherness.
Thanks, DSB. Embedding will be the end of me.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Oct 25, 2023 11:57 am

Worthy4England wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2023 11:17 am
And Vic was straight out jabbing his index fingers into his temples, the internationally recognised sign for "concentrate". Wonderful togetherness.
Oh - that used to be "You've got a screw loose/mental" back in the day, so I was a bit confused! :-)
Ha! For that I'd go with just the one finger, possibly swirled in the air rather than tapping. Both index fingers simultaneously tapping either side of the bonce is definitely "Think!!!" - usually in football with the subtext "Don't let this slip you dozy sods" :D

BorsdaneWhite wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2023 11:24 am
Thanks, DSB. Embedding will be the end of me.
Yeah it's confusing and takes me a few goes! It's even harder with Twitter/X now - this forum site's architecture doesn't recognise "x.com" so you have to manually type in "twitter"; and how you embed tweets is different to how you embed YouTube videos.. and it has to be the right type of YT link...

For clarity, DJ Blu is a switched-on kinda guy and very generous with his time and effort, so I assume it's a problem with the website hosts not us.

Worthy4England wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2023 11:21 am
We can talk about whether the pengy made it look a better score than deserved, but it was as nailed on a pengy as you'll see, through on goal, just keeper to beat. I was a bit mystified as to how it wasn't a red, too.
Definite pen but when the ref paused dramatically I thought he was going to book Jerome - who was IMO "feeling" for Keogh and trying to draw the penalty. Which is quite unselfish for a striker.

I suspected the ref might not give it as he'd just turned down what for me was a certain penalty when Sheehan, gliding through the area on casters, got absolutely smashed in the chest by one of their oxen.

Note also that for the pen that was given, Dan wanted to take it but (I think) Jerome overruled him and ensured it was Azzer.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Oct 25, 2023 12:04 pm

Wed Oct 25, 2023 10:37 am

To win the penalty that brought our 4th (that's right, fourth) goal last night, Cameron Jerome was fouled by Richard Keogh, who is one of only three players to feature in League One this season who's older than Jerome. (By three days, in his case.) Who are the other two? Clue: One of them used to play for us, or at least run around a lot; the other moved clubs this summer.
Oh god, it's him, isn't it?
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

sonicthewhite
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by sonicthewhite » Wed Oct 25, 2023 12:06 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2023 12:04 pm

Who?
Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!

And the key to a result is a good :kettle:

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Oct 25, 2023 12:07 pm

Will also write some more later, but the pen rightly wasn't a red after they changed the "double jeopardy" rules a couple of years ago. No longer a red for denying a goalscoring opportunity if it's a pen and you've made a genuine attempt to play the ball.

sonicthewhite
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by sonicthewhite » Wed Oct 25, 2023 12:07 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2023 11:17 am
You mean this one..... :crazy:
Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!

And the key to a result is a good :kettle:

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Oct 25, 2023 12:08 pm

sonicthewhite wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2023 12:06 pm
Prufrock wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2023 12:04 pm

Who?
Our dear friend, the anti Pirlo, the world's first defensive number 10, old toblerone boots himself, Darren.

(I think!)