Beware David. Solihull Moors, H, 04/11/23, 3pm (FAC R1)

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

truewhite15
Passionate
Passionate

Beware David. Solihull Moors, H, 04/11/23, 3pm (FAC R1)

Post by truewhite15 » Mon Oct 30, 2023 3:50 pm

A match thread.

One not to be taken lightly - Solihull are 4th in the National League, albeit a long way off the top two, and giants have frequently been taken down by little blokes with slings and rocks in this competition.

That said, we should have enough. I'd give starts to all the perennial back-up men, where possible - as, I think, would most. Ashworth, CMG, JDB, Nlundulu should all come in for much needed minutes. Iredale and Forrester, dropped for the last few, should both be given another chance to stake their claim. And I'd start Matheson at least, having impressed when he's come off the bench in both his previous appearances - if he can't be good enough to play against an NL side, then I wonder whether he will ever be good enough.

It occurs to me that Khumbeni can't play though, as he's out on loan. A pity.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Beware David. Solihull Moors, H, 04/11/23, 3pm (FAC R1)

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Oct 30, 2023 4:57 pm

truewhite15 wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2023 3:50 pm
A match thread.

One not to be taken lightly - Solihull are 4th in the National League, albeit a long way off the top two, and giants have frequently been taken down by little blokes with slings and rocks in this competition.

That said, we should have enough. I'd give starts to all the perennial back-up men, where possible - as, I think, would most. Ashworth, CMG, JDB, Nlundulu should all come in for much needed minutes. Iredale and Forrester, dropped for the last few, should both be given another chance to stake their claim. And I'd start Matheson at least, having impressed when he's come off the bench in both his previous appearances - if he can't be good enough to play against an NL side, then I wonder whether he will ever be good enough.

It occurs to me that Khumbeni can't play though, as he's out on loan. A pity.
Funnily enough, I'm reading Malcolm Gladwell's David and Goliath at the moment. It's not his best, but typically quite engaging; best part is his opening thesis that David wasn't quite the unlikely winner he's painted as, because he used disadvantages to his advantage.

On that theme, I'd be more worried (yet intrigued) by this game if we'd been drawn away, but yet again we're at home. That might be a logistical problem for the club – I couldn't tell you whether the attendance will be nearer 3,00 or 13,000, although I assume Solihull will bring a few more than the 43 away fans who recently watched them pummeled 5-0 at Southend – but it does at least make Evatt's job easier: no "tight ground", no ramshackle away dressing room, no cabbage-patch surface. He won't want a repeat of the Stockport debacle, but there's no Sarcevic in their ranks, no local pride at stake.

The Moors – there's nothing of the Maghreb about them; the surname comes from the 2007 merger of Solihull Borough and Moor Green – are far from the biggest team in a National League which has recently spat out a trio of big spenders in Stockport, Wrexham and Notts County (who now occupy League Two's three automatic promotion places). Their 5,500-capacity stadium is the division's 16th-biggest. But this isn't their first decent season since reaching the fifth tier in 2016: Tim Flowers led them to 2nd in 2019 but they lost in the play-off semis to Danny Philliskirk's goal for Fylde, and in 2022 they finished 3rd under Neal Ardley but lost the play-off final to Grimsby in extra-time.

Now they're managed by Andy Whing, the former right-back for Cov, Brighton and Oxford who's just turned 39. He was Manager of the Month in August, which Moors finished top of the league, but they've dropped off a little since, and October brought consecutive defeats to bottom-half Aldershot and Southend. They did beat 10-man Wealdstone at the weekend and can perhaps count themselves unlucky to have only drawn a few days before at 2nd-placed Barnet, who only equalised in the 97th minute through Gary Hooper - yep, formerly of Celtic, Norwich and Sheffield Wednesday, and since a gun for hire in New Zealand, India, Cyprus and Dubai. The fact Barnet can afford his wages might say something of the differences in the National League: sure, those three well-heeled recent alumni are doing well at the level above, but everywhere you look there are still divisions within divisions.

Moors usually play a 3-5-2, with a defence marshalled by former Wolves and Leicester stalwart Richard Stearman, now 36, protecting a goalkeeper half his age – Stoke loanee Tommy Simkin. Their teammates are largely non-league lifers or those who never quite broke through at League level (eg tiny creator Joe Sbarra).

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Oct 30, 2023 5:29 pm

We haven't had the greatest record v National League recently, iirc. Stockport drew at ours, and whopped us at theirs despite giving us a two goal start. Eastleigh, drew with us at theirs and we scraped through at ours. Any others? Agree with TW that we shouldn't take this lightly as we'd probably like to be in the hat in January if only to try and get a decent pay-day.

With that in mind, whilst I think there might be a couple of changes, I'd be a bit surprised if there were wholesale changes or we didn't at least have the best part of the first XI sat on the splinters...

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Mon Oct 30, 2023 5:52 pm

I'm hoping we go relatively full strength and aim for the whole Man Utd U21 style result. Sure we should be beating them, but any team can upset another on a given day.

It bodes well that Solihull are in mixed form lately. Unlike Stockport when we played them being in form IIRC. Eastleigh, well we rotated substantially and were genuinely poor as a squad.

Hopefully a few changes.

Stockport is the obvious one we could rest and play a B team (we've already qualified for the next round), but in reality, we owe them one and I can't imagine Evatt's going to want to facilitate a repeat.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Oct 30, 2023 6:12 pm

Mar wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2023 5:52 pm
I'm hoping we go relatively full strength and aim for the whole Man Utd U21 style result. Sure we should be beating them, but any team can upset another on a given day.

It bodes well that Solihull are in mixed form lately. Unlike Stockport when we played them being in form IIRC. Eastleigh, well we rotated substantially and were genuinely poor as a squad.

Hopefully a few changes.

Stockport is the obvious one we could rest and play a B team (we've already qualified for the next round), but in reality, we owe them one and I can't imagine Evatt's going to want to facilitate a repeat.
Stockport were W3/L2 in the October when we went into the 2-2...The three wins were the eventual bottom 2 and the team 4th bottom...they lost to 18th place Barnet and 7th place Notts County. So yeah some decent wins, but not necessarily indicative of stellar form...

Point is, there shouldn't be any particular excuses for a League 1 squad not to beat a National League team. When we draw Prem opposition (as we did with Villa last year?). Whilst we know there's a possibility, on the day, in an XI v XI, there really are no excuses.

jmjhb
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jmjhb » Mon Oct 30, 2023 6:15 pm

Although we've got a week off we do play Tuesday-Saturday the following 2 weeks (unless Cambridge away is postponed). With that in mind I think 6-7 changes would be optimal

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Mon Oct 30, 2023 7:03 pm

Not broadcast on our official site, but might be of interest to some others:

https://www.blackpoolfc.co.uk/news/2023 ... youth-cup/

We play at Chorley tomorrow, £3 adults, £1 concessions.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Oct 30, 2023 8:19 pm

jmjhb wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2023 6:15 pm
Although we've got a week off we do play Tuesday-Saturday the following 2 weeks (unless Cambridge away is postponed). With that in mind I think 6-7 changes would be optimal
Cambridge almost certainly will be postponed, and the Tuesday before that is the EFL Trophy dead rubber at Stockport. It's basically this-Shrewsbury-Blackpool that we need to plan for - as Mar says, we really can pick who we like at Edgeley Park.

To be honest, I would look to make some changes not as much to rest "first XI" players as to give other players some minutes. That's a slightly different thing – not so much to give the busy lads a breather as to make sure the squad's realistic alternatives are ready to go.

I've wanged on at great length on another thread about the whys, but basically I'd go for this starting lineup:
Baxter; Forrester, Santos, Iredale; Jones, Maghoma, Morley, Thomason, Ashworth; Bodvarsson, Nlundulu.

That's by no means a weak team. There's five of the Charlton starters and arguably only one incomer (Ashworth) who's a 'kid'. And as Worthy suggests, I'd definitely have two or three 'saviours' on the bench – maybe Dion, Sheehan, Randy/JDC - but as he also says, we should really be beating them.

What I would say is that the lower-standard teams we've beaten in other cup games lately were probably also changed from the first XI, whereas I would expect Moors to pick their best possible team. There's definitely an effect when you make multiple changes but we can keep a strong spine, and incoming players like Forrester, Iredale, Maghoma, Ashworth, Bod and Dan *should* have too much for a fifth-tier team, right?

sonicthewhite
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by sonicthewhite » Mon Oct 30, 2023 8:28 pm

I'd almost be tempted to tweak your line-up by swapping out Gethin for Matheson, otherwise looks good to me. I was almost tempted to drive up for the game as I haven't been to a match for absolutely yonks as I have that rarity called a free Sat. But I daren't chance it as no doubt Mrs Sonic will come up with something else for us/me to be doing.
Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!

And the key to a result is a good :kettle:

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Oct 30, 2023 8:37 pm

sonicthewhite wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2023 8:28 pm
I'd almost be tempted to tweak your line-up by swapping out Gethin for Matheson, otherwise looks good to me. I was almost tempted to drive up for the game as I haven't been to a match for absolutely yonks as I have that rarity called a free Sat. But I daren't chance it as no doubt Mrs Sonic will come up with something else for us/me to be doing.
I would love Luke to get a game, but I doubt Evatt will do it - especially if Ashworth, whom he really does need to blood, is on the other wing. However, he should have it in mind if the game's safe to bring the lad on ASAP – I mean by or before the hour.

As for attending the game - I think a lot of fans will be undecided until late on...

jmjhb
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jmjhb » Mon Oct 30, 2023 9:03 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2023 8:19 pm
jmjhb wrote:
Cambridge almost certainly will be postponed, and the Tuesday before that is the EFL Trophy dead rubber at Stockport. It's basically this-Shrewsbury-Blackpool that we need to plan for - as Mar says, we really can pick who we like at Edgeley Park.

To be honest, I would look to make some changes not as much to rest "first XI" players as to give other players some minutes. That's a slightly different thing – not so much to give the busy lads a breather as to make sure the squad's realistic alternatives are ready to go.

I've wanged on at great length on another thread about the whys, but basically I'd go for this starting lineup:
Baxter; Forrester, Santos, Iredale; Jones, Maghoma, Morley, Thomason, Ashworth; Bodvarsson, Nlundulu.

That's by no means a weak team. There's five of the Charlton starters and arguably only one incomer (Ashworth) who's a 'kid'. And as Worthy suggests, I'd definitely have two or three 'saviours' on the bench – maybe Dion, Sheehan, Randy/JDC - but as he also says, we should really be beating them.

What I would say is that the lower-standard teams we've beaten in other cup games lately were probably also changed from the first XI, whereas I would expect Moors to pick their best possible team. There's definitely an effect when you make multiple changes but we can keep a strong spine, and incoming players like Forrester, Iredale, Maghoma, Ashworth, Bod and Dan *should* have too much for a fifth-tier team, right?
I think we'll see Mendes Gomes feature but otherwise I agree with the team.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Oct 30, 2023 9:16 pm

jmjhb wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2023 9:03 pm
I'll be upset if we don't, but mildly surprised if he starts.

irie Cee Bee
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by irie Cee Bee » Mon Oct 30, 2023 11:31 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2023 9:16 pm
jmjhb wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2023 9:03 pm
I'll be upset if we don't, but mildly surprised if he starts.
I also doubt he will start. Evatt usually brings back recovered players gently by giving them perhaps 15 mins towards the end. I expect a strong team to start. No joking around with this. Baxter, JDC, Iredale, Santos, Forrester, Williams, Morely, Thomasson, Maghoma, Dan, DadBod.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Oct 30, 2023 11:34 pm

Beware the Peaky Blinders... :wink:

As long as the team play ( regardless of who starts) like it matters, we should be fine. We might need a bit more than the " slings and arrows of outrageous fortune ", but as long as we play like we can we need to just tread with care and keep the foe at bay. This s a cue for a tribute to goalkeeper Baxter who should be lauded for his displays. Living in the shadow of young Trafford, he is without a doubt worthy of words of praise as a feature in our successes this season. Our defence are without doubt all worthy of praise, but the last line of defence is every bit as important as the first line of offence.

Nuf said, go get em lads.. :oyea:

ae:)
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Oct 31, 2023 11:07 am

jmjhb wrote:
Cambridge postponement confirmed by club.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sat Nov 04, 2023 10:12 am

Without wishing to state the bleeding obvious the key problem for playing squad players (as we will do) is scoring a goal. Won’t take long for the crowd to get on Nlundulus back - saving grace is there will be a sparse crowd I guess. Expecting Dan to start and he should of course but I’d prefer the other two, if Charles and Victor are rested. There’s an argument for Victor getting a start anyway as he could do with a goal, but his place is hardly under threat.

Rest of the changes we should have enough, whether Ashworth is fit or not seems to be the question. We’ll have a strong bench and it may include Matheson - who I agree with most needs some minutes in men’s football. Note he keeps travelling with the squad suggesting he will get some today.

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Sat Nov 04, 2023 11:19 am

I think at this point officer_dibble, N'lundulu will know that the crowd will likely get on his back if we're unable to score a goal. Not all of that will be down to himself or indeed today's performance, but rather a perception of inability to score. The longer we give him, the more likely he is to break that perception, so hopefully he'll deliver today as he did in the 8-1 win over Man Utd U21s.

I'm expecting Dan to start alongside Jerome or Bodvarsson. No disrespect to Solihull Moors, but we should have enough to beat them with a rotated side and them being in middling form.

Surely there is no better way of integrating fringe players than games like todays. Matheson should start, as should Bodvarsson with a Jerome cameo late on to finish the match.

Regardless, i'm expecting Evatt to deliver us to round 2 with a win today. Failing that, i'd be disappointed and embarrassed (as per the Stockport defeat), but it wouldn't be the end of the world and we'd move on.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Nov 04, 2023 2:02 pm

Ooh I got 10/11. Still no Ashworth - and a very strong bench. Surely Matheson gets minutes.

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Sat Nov 04, 2023 2:05 pm

Strong line up that. Aside from the front pairing that's a starting line up we may have expected to see previously.

No look towards blooding any youngsters either. Perhaps that's a bit of concern that no-one is really standing out enough to warrant making the bench, or for those that are standing out they're on loan (Khumbeni for example).

I would've thought Charles or Adeboyejo would've been given some time off, but looks like Evatt's strategy is a tight knit squad where everyone's involved.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Nov 04, 2023 2:08 pm

I've been sounding the Bodvarson drum for long enough. Let's hope he makes his mark today. :oyea:

ae:)
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?