No Gooseberries at Shrewbury. Away to Shrewsbury Tuesday 7th Nov 7-45.

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Re: No Gooseberries at Shrewbury. Away to Shrewsbury Tuesday 7th Nov 7-45.

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Nov 07, 2023 11:00 pm

Sounds like I picked a good night to go to the opera. But I see we got a third consecutive clean sheet, an eighth win in nine games, and we won it in the second half. It’ll do for me.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Nov 07, 2023 11:18 pm

AND. The subs deffo made an impact. Three involved in second goal :-)

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Tue Nov 07, 2023 11:23 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2023 11:00 pm
Sounds like I picked a good night to go to the opera. But I see we got a third consecutive clean sheet, an eighth win in nine games, and we won it in the second half. It’ll do for me.
It's the inverse of some of our other games. Terrible first half followed by a competent second half.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Nov 08, 2023 12:14 am

8 wins in 9. Very good when we're good. Digging out wins when we're not.

16 points from 7 away games, including 4 away wins in a row.

Whisper it.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Wed Nov 08, 2023 12:47 am

Prufrock wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2023 12:14 am

Whisper it.
Hard not to get carried away. It's great form and long may it continue.

Form is a beautiful thing, just ask Ipswich who give us all hope that the gap between League One and the Championship can be overcome.

I saw something earlier today saying that we'd only played 3 of the top 7 so far which suggests we've played some of the lower lights. Difference is this season we seem to be a little more consistent.

Coming up we've got Blackpool, Exeter, Oxford and Portsmouth. Aside from Exeter, whose form has dropped off a cliff, we've got a significant month ahead. Throw in a grudge match vs Stockport and a banana skin vs Harrogate and there's plenty to be nervy about. We've no-one to fear, lets just hope we keep it up.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Wed Nov 08, 2023 7:34 am

Not seen any of it but feels like another big box ticked - holding, and extending, a lead when under bombardment in the latter stages. Three subs combining for that goal as well, perfect.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Wed Nov 08, 2023 8:57 am

First half was sloppy and untidy
Second half was very professional and competent.

Thoroughly deserved the win in my opinion and absolutely no dramas, other than a few knocks.

Thomasson and Sheehan were excellent second half, but our George really needs to work on his bounce passes back to a thrower. Jeez, they're bad!

Santos, Toal, Sheehan - Any one of those 3 for Man of the Match
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Wed Nov 08, 2023 8:58 am

Prufrock wrote:

Whisper it.
<likes>

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Wed Nov 08, 2023 9:36 am

boltonboris wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2023 8:57 am

Thoroughly deserved the win in my opinion and absolutely no dramas, other than a few knocks.

Thomasson and Sheehan were excellent second half, but our George really needs to work on his bounce passes back to a thrower. Jeez, they're bad!

Santos was MoM for me - one of those performances where he clearly demoralised the opponents and their fans through his dominance. I also thought that Forrester was excellent when he came on, and I'd have him ahead of Jones in the pecking order.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Nov 08, 2023 9:50 am

boltonboris wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2023 8:57 am

Sheehan was anonymous first half and second half gave it away too much. Thomason was better.

But for me best two for us were santos and Maghoma.

Either of them for MoM.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Nov 08, 2023 10:12 am

Yeah - I had Maghoma and "any of the back three" - I think they all did well, even after Geth was subbed, although it got a bit "punt it away" in the last 15 (well last 5 + 9 minutes)

To give Shrewsbury credit where it's due, I thought they marshalled JDC and Randy (who was a bit all ower the shop defensively) pretty well.

When they rolled on the tanks - and they bought some absolute units on - we got in there. Not always successfully tackle by tackle, but I can forgive that for giving it your best shot - which we did.

KeyserSoze
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeyserSoze » Wed Nov 08, 2023 10:22 am

Slight tangent, Josh Sheehan has been named in the Wales squad (again)
Nero fiddles while Gordon Burns.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Nov 08, 2023 10:35 am

Worthy4England wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2023 10:12 am
Yeah - I had Maghoma and "any of the back three" - I think they all did well, even after Geth was subbed, although it got a bit "punt it away" in the last 15 (well last 5 + 9 minutes)

To give Shrewsbury credit where it's due, I thought they marshalled JDC and Randy (who was a bit all ower the shop defensively) pretty well.

When they rolled on the tanks - and they bought some absolute units on - we got in there. Not always successfully tackle by tackle, but I can forgive that for giving it your best shot - which we did.
Yeah we maintained intensity last night even though we clearly for large periods were not playing well.

Back three are often critical here as I think if they switch off or struggle that’s when things really fall apart as per Carlisle. But Thomason is also doing much more in midfield in terms of running than before which helps. And he always looks for an early first time pass which also stops us being quite as predictable and slow.

Bod starting to look more like his old self is also helping from the bench too. But I’d be seriously tempted to start him:

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Nov 08, 2023 11:01 am

Bod can start against Stockport next midweek. If he dominates that, as he should if he's back on form, then he poses Evatt a big (welcome) question for after the break.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Nov 08, 2023 11:10 am

The_Gun wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2023 9:36 am

Santos was MoM for me - one of those performances where he clearly demoralised the opponents and their fans through his dominance. I also thought that Forrester was excellent when he came on, and I'd have him ahead of Jones in the pecking order.
Early season I thought Jones would be a real match winner but he's turned out a bit "morning after the night before". Seems a bit short on confidence which it will be hard to recover if he loses his slot. Forrester looks a real eager-beaver in a good way. I thought he was going to burst through and score with his first touch. Santos is an absolute rock at the back and the whole defence are giving a hundred per cent effort. We're still a bit Liquorice Allsorts rather than Quality Street at times, but the enthusiasm and effort is obvious in the side. Keep dancing lads, Blackpoool is coming to us this week so be "Strictly" ballroom and give the sea-siders something to remember us by... :oyea:

P'S. That powerful Pierre they brought on as a sub caused a bit of a twitch in me. He's one big lad... :shock:

ae:)
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Wed Nov 08, 2023 11:12 am

Jones is fine and knows his role really well, but I did think Forrester provided a little more aerial safety and is as good on the ground

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Nov 08, 2023 11:34 am

Jones is better going forward from centre back. Forrester is better defensively. I don’t think there is a huge amount in it.

Sounds like Jones and Morley and possibly one or both the wing backs might be a doubt for Saturday.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Wed Nov 08, 2023 11:35 am

Williams was limping around for the last 5 mins. I really hope he's ok. He's essential to how we want to play. Same with JDC on the other side. We'll need their pace and athleticism.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Nov 08, 2023 11:51 am

Mar wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2023 12:47 am
Prufrock wrote:

Whisper it.
Hard not to get carried away. It's great form and long may it continue.

Form is a beautiful thing, just ask Ipswich who give us all hope that the gap between League One and the Championship can be overcome.

I saw something earlier today saying that we'd only played 3 of the top 7 so far which suggests we've played some of the lower lights. Difference is this season we seem to be a little more consistent.

Coming up we've got Blackpool, Exeter, Oxford and Portsmouth. Aside from Exeter, whose form has dropped off a cliff, we've got a significant month ahead. Throw in a grudge match vs Stockport and a banana skin vs Harrogate and there's plenty to be nervy about. We've no-one to fear, lets just hope we keep it up.
A counter weight to this is that we are now 11 points (and 9 goal differences) better off than we were from the equivalent fixtures last year. In the past 4 games (all wins) we've won three games we lost last year (Wycombe and Shrews away, and then Northampton at home in for Acct at home).

Over a season that works out at 34 more points, with 115, champions and immortality!

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Nov 08, 2023 11:52 am

boltonboris wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2023 11:35 am
Williams was limping around for the last 5 mins. I really hope he's ok. He's essential to how we want to play. Same with JDC on the other side. We'll need their pace and athleticism.
Given how Forrester has done I think we could get away with Geth covering there, or maybe Matheson, for a short period, but Randy is a big hole.