Its not the Hatters that Matter but anther win on the spin. Bolton v Stockport EFL Cup away Tues 14th Nov 7:30pm

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Mar
Icon
Icon

Re: Its not the Hatters that Matter but anther win on the spin. Bolton v Stockport EFL Cup away Tues 14th Nov 7:30pm

Post by Mar » Tue Nov 14, 2023 11:09 pm

Well, time for the international break. A really good run of professional performances means we're showing promotion level standards.

What looked like we had little options on the bench now looks to be much better, add to that our ability to start matches at a canter and we're genuinely a decent shout this season.

You would've thought the challenge that Stockport gave us last time in the FA Cup, plus the form they were in, that they were going to give us a good run for our money. But this game was anything but. They struggled to match us and that shows arguably our step up in quality I guess.

As for the usual non-starters, or should I say finishers...

Bodvarsson, exceptional again. 2 goals and some composed finishing, means he's looking back to the level we hoped he'd be after the injury.
N'lundulu, a constant thorn in the oppositions side and a driver up top. Some instinctual issues when to shoot and when to pass might need looking at, but based upon tonight a much better showing.
Matheson, decent but rather quiet considering. Not really kicking on from an attacking perspective tonight, but perhaps that may have been down to a focus on defending.
Iredale, another solid performance.
Coleman, some cartoony antics, clapping passes before getting the ball rather than after dealing with it, some strange time delaying, but did his job well and wasn't tested too much.
Sharples, not too much time to really get into the game, but nice for a little cameo nonetheless.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Its not the Hatters that Matter but anther win on the spin. Bolton v Stockport EFL Cup away Tues 14th Nov 7:30pm

Post by Prufrock » Tue Nov 14, 2023 11:51 pm

Good win. Randy injury is the only thing of note realistically plus Bod's claim.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Wed Nov 15, 2023 12:05 am

Prufrock wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2023 11:51 pm
Good win. Randy injury is the only thing of note realistically plus Bod's claim.
There is no injury. Apparently according to Evatt's post match presser it was just a case of miscommunication and Evatt playing it safe. No injury, its like he's been called in for his tea apparently.

The next round of the cup is apparently to be played w/c 4th December. In other words, after Harrogate in the FA Cup and before our crunch game with Portsmouth.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Nov 15, 2023 7:31 am

But five or six days before - Pompey is on the Monday.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Nov 15, 2023 9:45 am

Prufrock wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2023 11:51 pm
The type of player Jon Bod is he may get less clear-cut chances due to his worker attitude (Charles is the same), but when they come he's a class finisher. Love the way he chases and fights for the ball. The way we play, his goal tally is less important than his overall contributions to winning . Look at the amount of goals we score from players who are not designated as strikers. Firm proof that teamwork is more important than individual tallies. Proof also, at least for me that Ian Evatt knows exactly what he's doing. Long may it be so.. :oyea:

P.S I'd still have them all out at shooting practise . Perhaps a barn door as a target? :lol:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Wed Nov 15, 2023 9:45 am

That was actually an enjoyable game. Concerning that we were so ridiculously profligate in front of goal, but encouraging that we created so many chances so often.

Thomason was head and shoulders above everybody on the pitch. His progression recently has been startling.
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Wed Nov 15, 2023 10:02 am

I was out last night so couldn’t watch, but don’t understand what is meant by Williams being substituted due to a ‘miscommunication’. Can anyone clarify?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Nov 15, 2023 10:19 am

The_Gun wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2023 10:02 am
I was out last night so couldn’t watch, but don’t understand what is meant by Williams being substituted due to a ‘miscommunication’. Can anyone clarify?
I assume one of those concussion protocols things maybe that got miscommunicated? Or maybe he had felt something but was ok but wheels in motion for the sub?

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Wed Nov 15, 2023 10:22 am

The_Gun wrote:
Presumably Evatt thought he was asking to come off for some reason when Randy was simply putting his half time bovril order in.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Nov 15, 2023 11:53 am

The_Gun wrote:
Evatt:
Randell had a hefty bang on Saturday and it was fine to play. He then got another knock on the same spot, which he then mentioned to Rico (Santos) and he then communicated with the bench. The wires got crossed somewhere because he came off and didn’t really need to, and that then affected us having the opportunity to bring on Conor (Lewis) or young Noah (Halford) in the second half.

But it was a great experience for them and I am delighted for Sonny (Sharples) to get on the pitch as well because he has not done himself any harm training with the first team. He has applied himself in the correct way, stood up really well, and so to get him on the pitch was a great moment for him and his family.

[Luke Matheson] just slotted in seamlessly. He fitted into the team and looked like he had been there all along, which is great credit to him.
https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/2 ... kport-win/

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Wed Nov 15, 2023 12:21 pm

Yes, just read that piece, DSB. Very relieved to hear that there’s no injury there, as Randy is an important player for us.

No match for the next 10 days is somewhat irritating, but given our notably thin squad may ultimately prove a blessing. Hopefully the international lads come back unscathed 🤞

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Nov 15, 2023 12:46 pm

Might have missed this as I wasn't following the thread particularly closely - but what was the story with CMG - but surprised they didn't try to get some running in his pegs?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Nov 15, 2023 12:52 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2023 12:46 pm
Might have missed this as I wasn't following the thread particularly closely - but what was the story with CMG - but surprised they didn't try to get some running in his pegs?
International call-up - his first ever, for Guinea-Bissau. They must have been impressed with the way he warmed up as an unused sub against Shrewsbury and Blackpool, or his 25 minutes against a non-league team.

More seriously, he could be away for the Afcon in Jan (and, less likely, Feb).

https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/2 ... des-gomes/

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Nov 15, 2023 12:57 pm

Ahh. Thanks mate. The Afcon bit had registered, just not this week's call up. :-)

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Nov 15, 2023 1:03 pm

No problem.

Just noticed Maghoma's double assist last night takes his average back up to one "goal involvement" per game in the five he's started recently:

Wycombe - goal
[Charlton - sub]
Solihull - goal
Shrewsbury - goal
Blackpool - nowt
Stockport - 2 assists

Now, not all of those are noteworthy opponents, so much so that the details are habitually greyed out on my charts, but it's not the worst habit to have...

Also worth noting (at risk of enraging the superstitious) that we've only failed to score in one game this season (when Dion was suspended) and have kept 10 clean sheets (6 in the league)

EDIT I have been misinformed!!! second assist last night was our boy Thomo - his 4th goal involvement in the last 6 (2G, 2A)

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Nov 15, 2023 2:20 pm

sonicthewhite wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2023 9:27 pm
Elsewhere, if things stay as they Derby could be looking for a new manager :shock: now wouldn't that be a shame? :lol:
He seems to be clinging on, but I note Rotherham (22nd in the division above) sacked their manager Matt 'not that one' Taylor this week

Dunno if they'd have Warne back after he left them, but you can imagine it happening

Some local-press noise that they might approach another old manager, Steve Evans, which would obviously be good news for us by weakening a (different) promo rival

Obviously there's Warnock too

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Nov 15, 2023 2:47 pm

Potential next-round opponents, per Dan Barnes in the BEN:

"Liverpool Under-21s, Port Vale, Fleetwood, Lincoln are all possible opponents, while Accrington, Nottingham Forest Under-21, Carlisle, Barnsley, Bradford, Doncaster, Burton and Mansfield could fall into that category depending on results next week."

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Wed Nov 15, 2023 7:44 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2023 2:47 pm
Potential next-round opponents, per Dan Barnes in the BEN:

"Liverpool Under-21s, Port Vale, Fleetwood, Lincoln are all possible opponents, while Accrington, Nottingham Forest Under-21, Carlisle, Barnsley, Bradford, Doncaster, Burton and Mansfield could fall into that category depending on results next week."
Well we're definitely avoiding Reading who banged in 19 goals in the competition and are somehow still rock bottom of league one.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Thu Nov 16, 2023 12:47 pm

The_Gun wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2023 12:21 pm

No match for the next 10 days is somewhat irritating, but given our notably thin squad may ultimately prove a blessing. Hopefully the international lads come back unscathed 🤞
I don't have anything to back this up, other than a feeling but aren't we pretty good coming off the back of an international break?
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Nov 16, 2023 1:28 pm

boltonboris wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2023 12:47 pm
I don't have anything to back this up, other than a feeling but aren't we pretty good coming off the back of an international break?
Mixed this season: September bad, October good (blue lines are the breaks)
Screenshot 2023-11-16 at 13.27.22.png
Screenshot 2023-11-16 at 13.27.22.png (135.48 KiB) Viewed 5262 times