Beware of Grecians bearing gifts. Home v Exeter City, 25th Nov. 3-0'clock.

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

DJBlu
Site Admin

Re: Beware of Grecians bearing gifts. Home v Exeter City, 25th Nov. 3-0'clock.

Post by DJBlu » Sat Nov 25, 2023 7:43 pm

truewhite15 wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2023 6:48 pm
DJBlu wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2023 3:12 pm
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2023 3:09 pm
GOAL for BLACKPOOL AT POMPEY
Another three would be good.
Posts that preceded very fortunate events. :mrgreen:
I haven't gambled for over 3 years. If only.....

Absolutely outstanding result. 11 goal swing on the league leaders. Get in there.

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Sat Nov 25, 2023 7:44 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2023 7:08 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2023 5:57 pm
I'm fairly sure, this is the best first 17 games points tally in my lifetime. Although happy to be corrected..

Happy Wanderer!
Better than 96/97? 🤯

Worthy was only a glint in his dad's eye in 1996 😁
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!

sonicthewhite
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by sonicthewhite » Sat Nov 25, 2023 7:46 pm

This from the Exeter forum made me chuckle

"So there we are! Bolton are a bunch of cheating *********. We wanted them to attack down the left and they attacked down the right! How dare they"

:lol:
Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!

And the key to a result is a good :kettle:

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Sat Nov 25, 2023 7:55 pm

And we're not playing well. God help the league when we do.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Nov 25, 2023 8:36 pm

"After hitting seven past Exeter City, Bolton have now scored 56 goals in 23 games across all competitions so far this season. It marks their best return at this stage since 1934/35, when they had netted 64 times - a total only bettered once in club history, 77 in 1889/90."

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Nov 25, 2023 9:28 pm

My favourite post from Exeter…when we were 5-0 up…
Solid first half hour, had a shot off target- If that goes in it's a completely different game. It's these small moments, isn't it. Just not dropped for us.
:lol:

brommers95
Reliable
Reliable

Post by brommers95 » Sat Nov 25, 2023 10:28 pm

:pissed:

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Nov 25, 2023 10:45 pm

brommers95 wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2023 10:28 pm
:pissed:

Thank you sir, that was a delicious 10 minutes. What a pleasure to watch. I like that even in a 7-0 win, we've still got others gagging to get on the scoresheet – from throughout the team. Check out Rico's disappointment with Paris when he dragged his shot wide instead of teeing up his skipper - and Toaly ending up swinging on the bar after a surging run that ended in Dempsey's deflected shot over.

Tell you what, if I were Oxford's new manager, I wouldn't know where to start telling my team how to stop us. It's like "Zulus sir! Faaarsands of 'em!!" :lol:

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Nov 25, 2023 10:53 pm

TonyDomingos wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2023 7:44 pm
officer_dibble wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:

I'm fairly sure, this is the best first 17 games points tally in my lifetime. Although happy to be corrected..

Happy Wanderer!
Better than 96/97? 🤯

Yes to Dibs and I'm reckoning Domingo's might be misunderstanding how "ahem" "esteemed" I might be. (Nearl as old as Enoch) :-)

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Sat Nov 25, 2023 11:44 pm

Our 4th goal is a delight. Watch the touch by Thomasson to continue the attack. Superb.

knobpolisher
Reliable
Reliable

Post by knobpolisher » Sat Nov 25, 2023 11:49 pm

Next two games are pivotal, whatever that means
Would we take two draws, ?
People haven't got a good word for you, but i have T**T.

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Sun Nov 26, 2023 12:54 am

knobpolisher wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2023 11:49 pm
Nah. We're in the best form we've had for generations. We should be going for the win. Oxford and Portsmouth have had issues lately and its time to capitalise. It'll be a challenge as no doubt they'll look to raise their game against us, but we should definitely be looking to go for the win.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sun Nov 26, 2023 7:30 am

Worthy4England wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2023 10:53 pm
TonyDomingos wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2023 7:44 pm
officer_dibble wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:

Happy Wanderer!
Better than 96/97? 🤯

Yes to Dibs and I'm reckoning Domingo's might be misunderstanding how "ahem" "esteemed" I might be. (Nearl as old as Enoch) :-)
Better by a point this season on 96/97 - then it looks like we didn’t win in 8 until Boxing Day. If we’re on the way to the same points total as that season I will be happy!

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Nov 26, 2023 8:56 am

Mar wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2023 12:54 am
knobpolisher wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2023 11:49 pm
Nah. We're in the best form we've had for generations. We should be going for the win. Oxford and Portsmouth have had issues lately and its time to capitalise. It'll be a challenge as no doubt they'll look to raise their game against us, but we should definitely be looking to go for the win.
+1. Or rather +6. We can’t expect to play like this all year, so we must hurt our rivals while we can.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Nov 26, 2023 9:10 am

Needs to be said that the midfield we had out yesterday was a joy to watch. The best midfield we’ve had since the days of Holden and Muamba. It all is just working beautifully. Sheehan now has the freedom to make it tick with two in front of him who both are great at playing but Thomason who does the physical work of 2. Thomason is doing things that make you blink in surprise. He is just dominating. The Maghoma is so full of quality and is an absolute pleasure to watch play football.

It’s absolutely tremendous and I hope it continues as it’s finally delivering on the promise of football that gets you off your seat. Our first goal yesterday exemplifies it. As do a couple of the others. It’s effortless in appearance at times - obviously it needs a ton of effort but the smoothness with which we play is truly encouraging.

Charles comes to life when the midfield can do what it’s doing. Cogley also goes up a level.

Honestly think Bod can start games as he’d fit in beautifully the way we are playing. That extra quality on the ball up front would complete the beauty.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Nov 26, 2023 9:36 am

Unbelievable...total agreement with every one of Insanies points. Am I dreaming ? :shock:

But it's true. This was dream football of the sort you don't want to wake up from. To see so many of the team contributing and scoring goals is phenomenal. The first thirty minutes is something we can expect any game in this league as, but we defended well and were patient. A bit of ping-pong on one goal, but that's how it goes. The rest were class and the one from a training ground corner ploy superb. Strikers who contribute as ours do makes for classy team football and Jon Bod is a bonus sub who must start soon. The man has a football head on his shoulders and classy football at that.

A word for Baxter: After Trafford's excellence, he's been a real revelation. As well as keeping clean sheets and making saves where needed, his positioning and distribution as twelfth man are praiseworthy. The whole defence were top drawer.

All in all, Happy Wanderers are we.... :oyea:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

dave the minion
Reliable
Reliable

Post by dave the minion » Sun Nov 26, 2023 9:56 am

I also agree with everything said here - some of the best football I've seen since the halcyon days of Okocha & Youri et al.

Didn't stop the 2 idiots behind me whingeing through the first half hour mind: "this is such sh1t football / we are so bad / don't deserve to be near the top of the league / not seen it this bad for years / Evatt needs to go etc etc etc". If it wasn't so downright annoying it would have been funny. Especially given they'd spent their hard earned money on watching the time on display.

Funnily enough, they were quite quiet in the 2nd half......

Personally I've no problem at all with the way we set up to start. Patient, slow build up play, passing it around and letting the opposition chase lost causes to tire them out, then go for the jugular later on. Works for the team, and works for me

BorsdaneWhite
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by BorsdaneWhite » Sun Nov 26, 2023 10:02 am

Met with some Exeter fans before the game—lovely people with a refreshingly ironic countenance. One said, “take a nice loss here and then take the battling optimism onto Shrewsbury on Tuesday”. Safe to say that didn’t materialise.

They were so poor: backing off the midfield and wing-backs, not tracking runners etc. They must have singled Toal out for his distributive weakness because, time and time again, they allowed him to run at them, right up to edge of the box, to find Iredale or Paris in space. Can’t imagine we’d be provided such a luxury against Oxford or Portsmouth, but one has to be buoyed by the carnivorousness.

Paris looked a cut above and probably should have scored before his lovely finish for the third. That midfield three were glorious and, at long last, not weakened when subs were made and Demps continued the domination.

Portsmouth had Morrell sent off so will be missing for the game away to Burton. Oxford have to play us and Posh in the next two. Real opportunity to make strides in the next two. Would you take two draws?

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Nov 26, 2023 10:20 am

I'm not getting too carried away at the moment, even though a 7-0 is a thing of beauty. It's still pretty tight across the top three at the moment and the next two league games will give us better clues than us thrashing a team that also has a 9-0 and a 5-0 on its rap sheet.

I wouldn't be too unhappy with 3/6 because that would put some distance between us and one competitor. All 6, I might start to get excited. :-)

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Nov 26, 2023 10:39 am

dave the minion wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2023 9:56 am
I also agree with everything said here - some of the best football I've seen since the halcyon days of Okocha & Youri et al.

Didn't stop the 2 idiots behind me whingeing through the first half hour mind: "this is such sh1t football / we are so bad / don't deserve to be near the top of the league / not seen it this bad for years / Evatt needs to go etc etc etc". If it wasn't so downright annoying it would have been funny. Especially given they'd spent their hard earned money on watching the time on display.

Funnily enough, they were quite quiet in the 2nd half......

Personally I've no problem at all with the way we set up to start. Patient, slow build up play, passing it around and letting the opposition chase lost causes to tire them out, then go for the jugular later on. Works for the team, and works for me
The only issue with the first half hour was we didn’t execute the final ball as well as we did after that.