A whiff of Sulphur. Home to Harrogate Town, Sat Dec 2nd 3'O clock. F. A. Cup.

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Re: A whiff of Sulphur. Home to Harrogate Town, Sat Dec 2nd 3'O clock. F. A. Cup.

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Sun Dec 03, 2023 11:08 am

The_Gun wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2023 10:12 am
I only saw the highlights, but winning 5-1 after supposedly not playing well is probably quite a good sign.

Anyway, nice to be in the draw today. My personal order of preference for away fixtures we could get would be:

Spurs
Chelsea
Arsenal
Fulham
Brentford
Palace
West Ham
Brighton

Also maybe Maidstone, although it might be difficult to get tickets for that and there’d be no money in it for the club.
I take it you live in the North of Scotland then :lol:

knobpolisher
Reliable
Reliable

Re: A whiff of Sulphur. Home to Harrogate Town, Sat Dec 2nd 3'O clock. F. A. Cup.

Post by knobpolisher » Sun Dec 03, 2023 11:16 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2023 5:50 pm
knobpolisher wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2023 5:44 pm
Are Dan's stats right , I thought he only had 3 goals ?
two today, one against Exeter, two against the Rags kids
Of course, anything Rag related is immediately deleted from my memory bank.
People haven't got a good word for you, but i have T**T.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Sun Dec 03, 2023 12:44 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2023 10:29 am
The_Gun wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2023 10:12 am
I only saw the highlights, but winning 5-1 after supposedly not playing well is probably quite a good sign.

Anyway, nice to be in the draw today. My personal order of preference for away fixtures we could get would be:

Spurs
Chelsea
Arsenal
Fulham
Brentford
Palace
West Ham
Brighton

Also maybe Maidstone, although it might be difficult to get tickets for that and there’d be no money in it for the club.
Best if we get a local premiership side away I think. Maximize the financial reward.
Yeah that was primarily based on fixtures I could attend. United away I guess would be the plum draw from a purely financial perspective.

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Sun Dec 03, 2023 12:58 pm

Luton away, Nice.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Dec 03, 2023 1:00 pm

DJBlu wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2023 12:58 pm
Luton away, Nice.
Isn’t that pretty much the worst draw possible? Game we are likely to lose against a low premiership side - miles away and unlikely to be a big crowd and thus no money spinner.

Awful draw.

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Sun Dec 03, 2023 1:01 pm

First out the hat. Luton vs Bolton.
I suspect Shrewsbury v Wrexham or Arsenal v Liverpool might be more likely for TV already.

Can't say i'm too keen on playing Luton, but I reckon we'll be able to give them a game.

Add to that, Newcastle vs Sunderland is likely to get TV time too. Like Insane says, its not a good draw. Hopefully they'll play a B team against us and we can upset them.
Last edited by Mar on Sun Dec 03, 2023 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Sun Dec 03, 2023 1:04 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2023 1:00 pm
DJBlu wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2023 12:58 pm
Luton away, Nice.
Isn’t that pretty much the worst draw possible? Game we are likely to lose against a low premiership side - miles away and unlikely to be a big crowd and thus no money spinner.

Awful draw.
That's the spirit.

It's a premier league team, away and I'd say we have a good shot at a result. If not then meh.

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Sun Dec 03, 2023 1:04 pm

Mar wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2023 1:01 pm
First out the hat. Luton vs Bolton.

I suspect Shrewsbury v Wrexham or Arsenal v Liverpool might be more likely for TV already.

Can't say i'm too keen on playing Luton, but I reckon we'll be able to give them a game.
Reckon Sunderland v Newcastle might be in with a shout.

truewhite15
Passionate
Passionate

Post by truewhite15 » Sun Dec 03, 2023 1:06 pm

Side towards the bottom of the Prem, struggling for form, possibility of them prioritising the league. Chance of a proper upset there. Maybe the TV companies might see it the same way.

Not the best draw, but it could have been worse.

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Sun Dec 03, 2023 1:44 pm

I'm happy with the draw. It'll be interesting to see how we get on against a side we might be playing next season. Hopefully, they will give us more than the obligatory 15% allocation. We could easily take a couple of thousand.
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sun Dec 03, 2023 2:17 pm

Initial disappointment with the draw now over, its not too bad I reckon. No expectations, they could field a weakened side, good learning curve for the players against PL opposition. Bring it on!
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

truewhite15
Passionate
Passionate

Post by truewhite15 » Sun Dec 03, 2023 2:37 pm

Or another way to look at it - a game against a side we could well play twice in the league next season. Possibly even scrapping against for promotion, if we progress at the rate we're all hoping.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:17 pm

And the managers are close mates who studied together…

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:31 pm

Back to the game yesterday, there was a moment in the 2nd half that suggested the relationship amongst the group is pretty tight. Young Ashworth, who looked lively when he came on, must have upset their winger Thompson, who clattered into the back of him. Remarkably he wasn't booked and then promptly did the same again a minute later, earning himself an overdue yellow.

Iredale had seen these attempts at intimidation and first barged into the back of Thompson and then the next time the ball was played near to him, hauled him down by the neck. There was a definite narrative of "pick on someone your own size" & "kick one of us, you kick all of us". Good to see 👏
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:33 pm

We'll shit 'em. TBH whilst it's not a bad draw to give us a football test, I'd have preferred any Club with over 50,000 capacity, just for the dosh. So overall, don't like it.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Sun Dec 03, 2023 6:32 pm

Luton not the most exciting draw, but if they rotate their team significantly then we could potentially win. Let’s see how much #respect we’re shown.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Dec 03, 2023 7:05 pm

Luton, being in football's elite league (albeit at the bottom end) might just see our 7 nil and 5-1 as Sunday pub league stuff and that they are a cut above. If so, they may well get a shock, but then again, if their manager is mates with the Admiral, probably not. Best be prepared for a hard game. :box:

ae:)
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Dec 03, 2023 10:15 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:31 pm
Back to the game yesterday, there was a moment in the 2nd half that suggested the relationship amongst the group is pretty tight. Young Ashworth, who looked lively when he came on, must have upset their winger Thompson, who clattered into the back of him. Remarkably he wasn't booked and then promptly did the same again a minute later, earning himself an overdue yellow.

Iredale had seen these attempts at intimidation and first barged into the back of Thompson and then the next time the ball was played near to him, hauled him down by the neck. There was a definite narrative of "pick on someone your own size" & "kick one of us, you kick all of us". Good to see 👏
:D That is indeed good. The squad seems very close in terms of celebrating together - but digging in together and having each other's backs is another level.