Who opened the door? My money is on Janus! 2024 January transfer thread.

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Who opened the door? My money is on Janus! 2024 January transfer thread.

Post by Prufrock » Wed Jan 10, 2024 2:34 pm

I hear all that, but equally every window is an opportunity to strengthen and it's easier to do that from a position of strength. Our first priorities should be people we want anyway. Better than what we have.

If those are potentially doable then I'm happy for us to spend some time pursuing those.

My number one priority would be another RWB. I've been impressed with JDC, and it's impressive that he seemingly can play every minute without breaking down, but I think he's dropped off a bit and would benefit from both rest and competition. That's a potentially next level signing.

Everywhere I think we can muddle. Up top looks light given Cameron's lack of impact, but we'll have CMG back and presumably match fit in a couple of weeks and I don't see where else he fits than as the Shoretire type link. We saw how well that worked with Dion at times and you'd expect more consistency from a senior player.

Plus I think other than Vic and maybe Dion he's the player we've spent the most on, and his wages won't be cheap. We need to find a way for him to contribute.

So I'd want long term players we think could contribute a div up, but some form of RWB cover regardless.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Jan 10, 2024 2:49 pm

dave the minion wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2024 2:31 pm
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2024 2:11 pm

For me, FWIW, I thought we left ourselves short at the end of the last window and got away with it through a frankly startling run of wins. I don't want us to have to get away with it again. I worry that our first-choice wingbacks are overused, and I worry that without Dion we're dreadfully weak up top. No squad is perfect and just about every manager will want to tweak his personnel this month. Where are people's lines?
Playing devil's advocate and being slightly provocative (just for the sport of it :wink: ): if we "got away with it" due to the run of wins and performances, doesn't that actually suggest that we didn't "get away with it" and IE got it spot on at the end of the summer & we weren't left short
(bear in mind we even managed that with the loss of Johnstone, who was presumably a shoe-in first teamer?)??

I do agree though - the wing-backs are very heavily used - but they do seem to be fit as fiddles (so maybe this was calculated?), and we could be exposed without Charles, but again, I wonder how much of it was lack of availability of suitable alternatives v carefully calculated risks?
Oh it's a fair comment - sure, the wins suggest we did very well with that squad. What I'm saying is, it was an unusual run of results and we're still only just in the autos; with Posh and Derby likely to refresh their squad this month (by selling one or two players for £££) can we rely on us doing the same again?

I'd also say we were slightly lucky with "where" the inevitable injuries hit. Johnston (injured in July) aside, our longest injury absence was a young reserve left wing-back who seems to be third choice for that position anyway. Losing Rico for a month to a hamstring injury could have been a blow but I think most of us agreed pre-season that our deepest pools were centre-back and central midfield – so Dempsey's month out with back-knack was also bearable, as was Maghoma's thigh problem immediately beforehand (had they been simultaneous it might have been trickier).

Other injuries have been to more losable players. Coleman's calf and ankle problems didn't worry us unless Bax went down too, which would be definitively unlucky (nobody's suggesting we get a third senior goalkeeper). CMG's six-week hamstring problem might have been more keenly felt had he established himself; the fact that in the five games after his return he was an unused sub three times suggests he hadn't. Dan Nlundulu's desperately unlucky hamstring injury means we need another fourth-choice striker.

So yeah, I do think we've been slightly lucky with injuries, not necessarily the number of them but the people they have affected: largely fringe players, with one or two for whom we had strong repacement options. I can't say I feel the same about Dion or the wingbacks, and with the latter (especially Cogley) being asked to get through an extraordinary amount of work, it worries me.

Three weeks of window left, though.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Jan 10, 2024 4:22 pm

Anyone who wonders about injuries only need look at Portsmouth…another big player for them ruled out for the season.

There is only so much you can do but I’d like us to have one or two insurance polices to at least mitigate against the worst.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Jan 10, 2024 4:24 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2024 4:22 pm
Anyone who wonders about injuries only need look at Portsmouth…another big player for them ruled out for the season.

There is only so much you can do but I’d like us to have one or two insurance polices to at least mitigate against the worst.
Indeed: "Alex Robertson has torn his hamstring and it’s unlikely he will feature again this season"

They've been v unlucky but yeah, but for the grace iof God (and Plan Bs)

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Jan 10, 2024 4:39 pm

Wed Jan 10, 2024 4:24 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2024 4:22 pm

Indeed: "Alex Robertson has torn his hamstring and it’s unlikely he will feature again this season"

They've been v unlucky but yeah, but for the grace iof God (and Plan Bs)
I think that's where some folks landed after summer. There was generally talk about WBs, central MF and up front.

There isn't a huge problem with out starting XI, but as much as people are supportive and positive a starting combo of Vic + one-not-Dion feels like a big gap.

Starting someone other than JDC feels like it could be a big gap.

MF, would be interesting to know how realistically active we were in terms of chasing Baccus, because if it was genuine, along with Wilson, then it's not unrealistic to suggest IE, at least to some extent, felt the same way.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Wed Jan 10, 2024 4:55 pm

I thought the issue with Baccus was that he longer represented the value we wanted to outlay on him? That generally suggests his agent got involved and his expense went up.

I wish we'd have taken the punt to be honest, as he looked very good against England in the last round of internationals and potentially a good Championship player. What stopped someone else going in though?
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Jan 10, 2024 5:29 pm

boltonboris wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2024 4:55 pm
I thought the issue with Baccus was that he longer represented the value we wanted to outlay on him? That generally suggests his agent got involved and his expense went up.

I wish we'd have taken the punt to be honest, as he looked very good against England in the last round of internationals and potentially a good Championship player. What stopped someone else going in though?
See your own response to question 1, perhaps :D It definitely had the feel of an agent getting dollar-signs for pupils.

Wilson was more about the injury. The fact that we targeted two RWBs means Evatt saw a space for both, and JDC was widely expected to be Wilson's backup. I shan't quibble with the medical decision on Wilson – Evatt has said on many occasions he wouldn't gamble the club's money and clearly felt the risk outweighed the reward. That JDC has played so well can be seen as a triumph for the quality of our shortlisting, but also reflects that we're somewhat fortunate he's been so indefatigable.

The other thing to note, dragging it back to Baccus, is that in his absence the midfield has settled into a very effective unit with Sheehan at 6 and Thomason at 8. It's not hard to imagine that had Baccus tied down the 6 slot we'd have had Sheehan as a less effective 8 and Thomo watching on from the sidelines. Again, that can be seen as good fortune or good coaching.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Wed Jan 10, 2024 5:43 pm

If we are hanging on waiting for the ol' transfer chain to kick in then that's fine.

We do need lads in, but we aren't desperate.

I'm off to Accy. Let's see how we do with some of our "depth" on display.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Thu Jan 11, 2024 10:33 am

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2024 5:43 pm
I'm off to Accy. Let's see how we do with some of our "depth" on display.
Quite well, as it turned out.

The Ennis link is promising.

He's quick and direct. That's what our forward line is missing in the mix. Someone who can pin a defence back, because they're scared he'll run them; but who can also run at a defender and go past him.

He's bulked up at Plymouth and is a much more rounded player. There's still a tonne he can improve, though. If Blackburn have given up on him I'm all for a loan to see how it goes. Less keen on the idea of getting him fit for them, as we run the risk of him breaking down and us never seeing any benefit for our money - whereas a longer term vision can make that risk worth it.

He's the right type. Onomah was also the right type, though - apparently that's a non-starter. Presumably because we like players with functional knees, despite some of the current inmates.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Jan 11, 2024 10:38 am

Where does he fit in weighed against CMG, Ghosty? (Who we've not really seen a whole lot of in a Bolton shirt).

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Jan 11, 2024 10:43 am

Worthy4England wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2024 10:38 am
Where does he fit in weighed against CMG, Ghosty? (Who we've not really seen a whole lot of in a Bolton shirt).
From Ghosty's description it feels to me like Ennis is the front-running, offside-avoiding "9" to CMG's scheming/dribbling "10", in the classic split-striker way. Of course they may never play together – although they could both be subs – but it adds to the attacking armoury. We do slightly lack someone with genuine/frightening/electric (delete as applicable) pace.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Jan 11, 2024 10:47 am

Thu Jan 11, 2024 10:43 am
Worthy4England wrote:
From Ghosty's description it feels to me like Ennis is the front-running, offside-avoiding "9" to CMG's scheming/dribbling "10", in the classic split-striker way. Of course they may never play together – although they could both be subs – but it adds to the attacking armoury. We do slightly lack someone with genuine/frightening/electric (delete as applicable) pace.
Yeah - fair comment. I'm just a little unsure of where we see CMG's natural home to be at the moment.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Thu Jan 11, 2024 11:04 am

When I had a read on the Blackburn forum there was a lot of talk about Ennis being immobile. Perhaps that's a temporary effect of his injuries, but it wouldn't be great for what we need, and we wouldn't have the luxury of time to get him up to speed.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Thu Jan 11, 2024 11:40 am

The_Gun wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2024 11:04 am
When I had a read on the Blackburn forum there was a lot of talk about Ennis being immobile. Perhaps that's a temporary effect of his injuries, but it wouldn't be great for what we need, and we wouldn't have the luxury of time to get him up to speed.
That'd be a fairly radical change from the player at Donny and Plymouth, but I've not seen him play for Blackburn.

Injuries can radically change a player. We've seen that ourselves.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Thu Jan 11, 2024 11:55 am

Worthy4England wrote:
More Jermaine Defoe than Ebe Eze, certainly.

I've no clue what's happened with him since leaving Plymouth, mind you.

I thought the Pilgrims had done a great job polishing him into a proper player, but he was far from the finished article. If Blackburn have managed to cripple and ruin another prospect then I can't say I'm surprised. God knows what they do over there.

Last season he was getting a goal or assist every 100 minutes. If there's a fraction of that player left I'd welcome the risk.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Jan 11, 2024 1:06 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2024 11:55 am
Worthy4England wrote:
More Jermaine Defoe than Ebe Eze, certainly.

I've no clue what's happened with him since leaving Plymouth, mind you.

I thought the Pilgrims had done a great job polishing him into a proper player, but he was far from the finished article. If Blackburn have managed to cripple and ruin another prospect then I can't say I'm surprised. God knows what they do over there.

Last season he was getting a goal or assist every 100 minutes. If there's a fraction of that player left I'd welcome the risk.
Ta!

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Jan 12, 2024 9:14 am

Ian shows a bit of ankle by mentioning "one or two" potential signings.
We have had some progress on the one or two moves we want to make. And there are contingency plans in place should anything untoward happen before the end of the month.

I understand supporters want to see signings and this is probably the first January window where we have done very little. But I am happy with that. It is a hard month to recruit and find value. Every fan wants to see 30 brilliant players and 30 brilliant options in the squad but they are not the ones who have to keep them happy, give them the minutes they need, make sure the environment is balanced.

Everyone must feel a part of it and as I have said loads of times the 11 is easy to keep happy. It is the ones who are not playing every week who you need to keep bought in to the bigger picture and right now I think we have that balance right. We have to be really careful that we don’t upset that equilibrium.
https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/2 ... ian-evatt/

More Evatt quotes further on including arrogance (lack thereof) and class background (working)

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Jan 12, 2024 9:35 am

Fri Jan 12, 2024 9:14 am
Ian shows a bit of ankle by mentioning "one or two" potential signings.
We have had some progress on the one or two moves we want to make. And there are contingency plans in place should anything untoward happen before the end of the month.

I understand supporters want to see signings and this is probably the first January window where we have done very little. But I am happy with that. It is a hard month to recruit and find value. Every fan wants to see 30 brilliant players and 30 brilliant options in the squad but they are not the ones who have to keep them happy, give them the minutes they need, make sure the environment is balanced.

Everyone must feel a part of it and as I have said loads of times the 11 is easy to keep happy. It is the ones who are not playing every week who you need to keep bought in to the bigger picture and right now I think we have that balance right. We have to be really careful that we don’t upset that equilibrium.
https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/2 ... ian-evatt/

More Evatt quotes further on including arrogance (lack thereof) and class background (working)
Makes honest sense and is hard to argue with. Evatt has made a balanced and happy squad with no obvious dummy-spitters; something not easy to do in this day and age. Footballers used to read Charles Buchan's football annual, now they read the Financial Times. Do it your way Mr E. :oyea:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

sonicthewhite
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by sonicthewhite » Fri Jan 12, 2024 10:13 am

Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!

And the key to a result is a good :kettle:

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Fri Jan 12, 2024 10:22 am

I make him three short of where he ideally wanted to be.

It's still Wilson and Baccus - plus Dan is out now.

So assuming we want a striker it's then a mid or a wingback.

We've been linked to mids, but most would say what we really miss is that RWB option.

We'll see how it goes.