Who opened the door? My money is on Janus! 2024 January transfer thread.

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Who opened the door? My money is on Janus! 2024 January transfer thread.

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Jan 25, 2024 1:54 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2024 12:56 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2024 12:25 pm
I'm with Insano on some of that. If we went P46, W46, it would actually be pretty boring.
I could cope. The 98pt 100-goal season was probably my favourite ever, although not entirely for footballing reasons.
And therein, I suspect is the nub. In the 98 points season, we were shitloads clear of Barnsley in second - 18 points and even further ahead of third (22), it was pretty much done by end March. My pick, which kept the old sphincter twitching until the second last game, would be 77/78 (which I suspect is a pick you couldn't realistically make)...where after just missing out the season before, we ended up 2 points (2 points for a win at that point), in front of the 4th placed team, who I think were Brighton, but above Southampton and Spurs! The tension those last few games was palpable, but I'd probably prefer that, than "cakewalk"...

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Jan 25, 2024 2:19 pm

Those races are exciting if you win. When we went down in 97:98 it was a thriller but we went down and my memories are therefore sad.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Thu Jan 25, 2024 2:33 pm

Mattie Pollock has handed in a transfer request at Watford.

Let's live the dream...

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Jan 25, 2024 2:37 pm

Thu Jan 25, 2024 2:19 pm
Those races are exciting if you win. When we went down in 97:98 it was a thriller but we went down and my memories are therefore sad.
The year prior, when we didn't win, was still hugely exciting albeit ultimately disappointing...

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Thu Jan 25, 2024 2:50 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2024 11:52 am
It’s just a need to slog result after result out. It’s horrible imho.
That is the entire point of a league. The team that consistently gets results, however they do it, wins.

In the past you've often said winning football is good football and that is what matters. That is what we're doing :conf:

For what it is worth, for me it is a combination of competing well with a realistic chance of achieving something beyond mere survival. The worst thing for me would be making the Premiership and the be all and end all being survive by a point each season. It was great under Allardyce because we were fighting to survive and got better each season to the point we were competing for Europe and cups. We didn't get there every time, but that isn't the point. I'd be quite happy bobbing around the leagues if we are on the up and the knock backs are met with fighting up again.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Jan 25, 2024 3:32 pm

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2024 2:50 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2024 11:52 am
It’s just a need to slog result after result out. It’s horrible imho.
That is the entire point of a league. The team that consistently gets results, however they do it, wins.

In the past you've often said winning football is good football and that is what matters. That is what we're doing :conf:

For what it is worth, for me it is a combination of competing well with a realistic chance of achieving something beyond mere survival. The worst thing for me would be making the Premiership and the be all and end all being survive by a point each season. It was great under Allardyce because we were fighting to survive and got better each season to the point we were competing for Europe and cups. We didn't get there every time, but that isn't the point. I'd be quite happy bobbing around the leagues if we are on the up and the knock backs are met with fighting up again.
Yeah I get all that I’m not saying I don’t want to win games - winning is ultimately all that matters. I just don’t consider that league one football is a great product I also don’t particularly enjoy watching us down here. I’d rather we were pitching our talents against sides in the league up and yes we will win less but the highs of winning will be greater for me than winning a lot down here week in week out. I struggle to get too excited about beating Cheltenham for example but next season if we go up we could be playing and beating say, Everton or whatever….

I don’t find this league an enjoyable journey where if we fail to go up I’d look forward to another year of it.

I appreciate the fact that some would say that about the premiership and survival and it’s all just a matter of opinion and perspective. I doubt we see the premiership again in the next 5 years anyway. Unless there are substantial changes I doubt I will see us play there again tbh. Never say never because who knows what’s round the corner. But I suspect I won’t see Bolton wanderers play there again.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Thu Jan 25, 2024 3:34 pm

Iles has us as hoping one signing will be available for Carlisle of a total of four planned.

Not sure if 4 is purely aspirational or informed by negotiations, but you'd assume the +1 is a result of Randell's injury.

So striker, centre half and 2 wingbacks? Or do we reckon it'll be one for each section - Striker, mid, centre back and wide? Could be Kyle's done himself more harm than we hoped.
Screenshot 2024-01-25 153054.png
Screenshot 2024-01-25 153054.png (74.34 KiB) Viewed 370 times

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Jan 25, 2024 3:44 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2024 1:11 pm
Thu Jan 25, 2024 12:12 pm
Maybe it’s a personality thing. I assume if we regain top-flight status you’ll become a beacon of positivity even if we’re losing :D
Given the contingent screaming for say Megson to go was large on here and I was not in it then perhaps you assume right!
…but given you also compared Coyle to cancer, perhaps not :D

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Thu Jan 25, 2024 3:49 pm

Thu Jan 25, 2024 3:44 pm
…but given you also compared Coyle to cancer, perhaps not :D
Mild, compared to saying Keiron Sadlier is a better player than Evatt is a manager :lol:

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Thu Jan 25, 2024 3:51 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2024 3:34 pm
Iles has us as hoping one signing will be available for Carlisle of a total of four planned.

Not sure if 4 is purely aspirational or informed by negotiations, but you'd assume the +1 is a result of Randell's injury.

So striker, centre half and 2 wingbacks? Or do we reckon it'll be one for each section - Striker, mid, centre back and wide? Could be Kyle's done himself more harm than we hoped.

Available for Carlisle would mean they'd need to be signed up what, 24 hours in advance?

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Thu Jan 25, 2024 3:52 pm

Problem with Megson, aside from his charm and dour football, was that we'd gone from cheap (Sammy) to panicking and spaffing fair amounts of money money on Shittu and that Icelandic fella and more. Coyle supercharged that by spending silly amounts on even more shite.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Thu Jan 25, 2024 3:52 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:

My guess would be the latter. Mid wasn't on my list of "needs" but we seem to be in there, and it does seem a tad stale atm. Especially if Kyle's is bad. Looked to be he pulled up before a shot so calf from the way he mi l limped? If it's pinged that'll be a month at least.

WBs ideally would be one who could do both sides. On the left we've got three candidates but none can nail it down. On the right we've got one but he plays every minute.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Thu Jan 25, 2024 3:52 pm

The_Gun wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2024 3:51 pm
GhostoftheBok wrote:

Available for Carlisle would mean they'd need to be signed up what, 24 hours in advance?
I *think* it's midday on Friday
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Thu Jan 25, 2024 3:53 pm

The_Gun wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2024 3:51 pm
Usually have to be registered by noon the day before to have clearance.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Jan 25, 2024 3:54 pm

Randell out for 6-7 weeks says Evatt.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Thu Jan 25, 2024 3:58 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2024 3:54 pm
A cad might say this is an opportunity to shake up both flanks and fire us to promotion.

I'm no cad, you understand... *halo*

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Thu Jan 25, 2024 3:58 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
feck.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Jan 25, 2024 4:09 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Ah balls.

Back to the risk-reward thing. We spotted Randell, got a good deal, coached him well… but he’s got paper hamstrings. What if Ennis is similar?

At risk of repetition: we really do need a few in now. How that affects the finances - and where it leaves us in summer - will be….interesting.

brommers95
Reliable
Reliable

Post by brommers95 » Thu Jan 25, 2024 4:19 pm

That's another player injured on Saturday then...

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Thu Jan 25, 2024 4:20 pm

Thu Jan 25, 2024 4:09 pm
Ah balls.

Back to the risk-reward thing. We spotted Randell, got a good deal, coached him well… but he’s got paper hamstrings. What if Ennis is similar?

At risk of repetition: we really do need a few in now. How that affects the finances - and where it leaves us in summer - will be….interesting.
We see value in crocks. It's bitten us a lot. However, we've also done well from it. If We sign Ennis and he's then out injured all the time it'll have been a waste of money and could scupper our promotion hopes.

On the money, we have to make sure we either get really good value or s[end money that continues to benefit the squad after the summer.

In other news, Carlisle just signed Josh Vela. So that clearly means we're picking up Owen Moxon...