Who opened the door? My money is on Janus! 2024 January transfer thread.

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Re: Who opened the door? My money is on Janus! 2024 January transfer thread.

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat Jan 27, 2024 5:46 pm

sonicthewhite wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2024 5:36 pm
Pray tell, who is this Aaron Collins thou dost speak of?
Former FGR attacking player, now of Bristol Rovers.

Really clever, technical forward who can play wide,#10 or through the middle.

I wanted him when he was on a free after leaving FGR and he would absolutely smash it under Evatt. He'd have been amazing in our 4-3-3, but I'd suggest he's even more suited to this system.

Ogbeta, Paris, Collins...they've got good taste over at Wanderers :lol:

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sat Jan 27, 2024 6:01 pm

Yep, he was outstanding for FG the year we went up.

And I didn't see much of him last year but he was banging them in playing as a 9. He'd be the Shoretire link but and adult with physicality, and he can do the in behind stuff too.

Charles, Ade and him really would be excellent. All good players, all offer something slightly different. Competition and horses for courses. Yes please.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Jan 27, 2024 6:15 pm

Collins makes sense in some ways though he plays out wide a lot which would leave me wondering where we fit him in?

Also I assume if Wrexham are in that will drive the price and wages up.

sonicthewhite
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by sonicthewhite » Sat Jan 27, 2024 6:18 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2024 6:15 pm
Collins makes sense in some ways though he plays out wide a lot which would leave me wondering where we fit him in?

After searching Google I thought the same when I saw Wrexham linked with him. He'll either want to some to us for the chance to get in the Champo or he'll go to them for the money and the online fame.
Last edited by sonicthewhite on Sat Jan 27, 2024 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!

And the key to a result is a good :kettle:

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Jan 27, 2024 6:21 pm

sonicthewhite wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2024 6:18 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:

After searching Google I thought the same when I saw Wrexham linked with him. He'll either ant to some to us for the chance to get in the Champo or he'll go to them for the money and the online fame.
If I take my Bolton support out of it and I’m a lower league player with a choice between us and Wrexham right now if all things equal I’d say it’s a hard choice. Wrexham are an amazing story and being a part of that would be potentially a career highlight.

But we could be in the championship next season…..Wrexham are a few years from that potentially may not get there….

I dunno I could see an argument either way assuming wages were equal.

jmjhb
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jmjhb » Sat Jan 27, 2024 6:25 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2024 6:21 pm
sonicthewhite wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:

After searching Google I thought the same when I saw Wrexham linked with him. He'll either ant to some to us for the chance to get in the Champo or he'll go to them for the money and the online fame.
If I take my Bolton support out of it and I’m a lower league player with a choice between us and Wrexham right now if all things equal I’d say it’s a hard choice. Wrexham are an amazing story and being a part of that would be potentially a career highlight.

But we could be in the championship next season…..Wrexham are a few years from that potentially may not get there….

We are as upwardly mobile as Wrexham with greater potential and at least 2 seasons ahead. It's a no-brainer.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat Jan 27, 2024 6:26 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:

Wrexham have to contend with financial rules now they're in the league proper.

They're finding it much more difficult to attract players as a result.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Jan 27, 2024 6:30 pm

jmjhb wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2024 6:25 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
sonicthewhite wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:

We are as upwardly mobile as Wrexham with greater potential and at least 2 seasons ahead. It's a no-brainer.
Yeah but you get on the Telly at Wrexham and meet the celebs.

I mean seriously it depends what you think like. Do well at Wrexham and you go down in their history. I don’t think the same is necessarily true here in the current period.

Spartan2
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Spartan2 » Sat Jan 27, 2024 6:57 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2024 6:30 pm
jmjhb wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
sonicthewhite wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:

I mean seriously it depends what you think like. Do well at Wrexham and you go down in their history. I don’t think the same is necessarily true here in the current period.
TBH if I weren't a Bolton fan and it were a straight choice between BWFC and Atherton LR I'd be hard pressed to choose, ALR are going places and you'd be part of their history and and you'd get to meet Crilly the dog... and what the actual feck are you on about.

sonicthewhite
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by sonicthewhite » Sat Jan 27, 2024 7:00 pm

Spartan2 wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2024 6:57 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
jmjhb wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
sonicthewhite wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:

TBH if I weren't a Bolton fan and it were a straight choice between BWFC and Atherton LR I'd be hard pressed to choose, ALR are going places and you'd be part of their history and and you'd get to meet Crilly the dog... and what the actual feck are you on about.
He's alluding to the fact that Wrexham are owned by two Hollywood superstars and there's that documentary "Welcome to Wrexham" that has been a massive hit Stateside!

Spartan2
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Spartan2 » Sat Jan 27, 2024 8:07 pm

sonicthewhite wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2024 7:00 pm
Spartan2 wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2024 6:57 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
jmjhb wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
sonicthewhite wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:

He's alluding to the fact that Wrexham are owned by two Hollywood superstars and there's that documentary "Welcome to Wrexham" that has been a massive hit Stateside!
No, I got that.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Jan 27, 2024 8:21 pm

I’m tempted to ask if players would rather be managed by Evatt or Parky, but I think it might only relight old fires 😁

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Jan 27, 2024 8:41 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2024 8:21 pm
I’m tempted to ask if players would rather be managed by Evatt or Parky, but I think it might only relight old fires 😁
Would you prefer Sharon introduced you to Nick Lucock and the Liverpool analysts of Ryan Reynolds introduced you to Taylor Swift and Will Ferrell?

I dunno. I get people think I’m crazy. But I can see an argument for someone wanting to be part of the Wrexham journey.

I doubt either manager would swing it but I guess Parky is now a celebrity…in the USA. ;)

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Jan 27, 2024 9:00 pm

Not sure counts for much. Loved Parky for his reaction to the impossible situation our Club put him in. He was, like all our past managers, of his time. Onwards!

jimbo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jimbo » Sat Jan 27, 2024 9:14 pm

If a player did want to choose Wrexham over us, that’s fair enough. What I would say is that would show he’s likely not got the character or ambition we really want here, so I wouldn’t be losing sleep on us missing out on him.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Jan 27, 2024 9:23 pm

jimbo wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2024 9:14 pm
If a player did want to choose Wrexham over us, that’s fair enough. What I would say is that would show he’s likely not got the character or ambition we really want here, so I wouldn’t be losing sleep on us missing out on him.
I’d agree with that. I think it would show a lack of belief in their own ability to play at a higher level.

sonicthewhite
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by sonicthewhite » Sat Jan 27, 2024 11:02 pm

I was reading the Carlisle forum earlier and one of them mentioned a rumoured swap deal involving Moxon and Dempsey. I couldn't believe that for a second. Then another of their members ascertained that Moxon had been Dempsey's bitch all game :lol:
Last edited by sonicthewhite on Sat Jan 27, 2024 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Jan 27, 2024 11:05 pm

sonicthewhite wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2024 11:02 pm
I was reading the Carlisle forum earlier and one of the mentioned a rumoured swap deal involving Moxon and Dempsey. I couldn't believe that for a second. Then another of their members ascertained that Moxon had been Dempsey's bitch all game :lol:
:D
Speaking of Carlisleians:

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sun Jan 28, 2024 2:22 am

Wrexham's a nice enough story that you might choose them over anyone in L1 except us Pompey or Derby. Tight with Posh and Barnsley. The older you get maybe it nudges the needle on money. But he's 26. You're maybe one move away from the Prem. As ghost says they have ffp now so they can't double the wages. It's a no brainer. Unless he's a huge Sunny fan.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sun Jan 28, 2024 4:17 am

sonicthewhite wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2024 11:02 pm
I was reading the Carlisle forum earlier and one of them mentioned a rumoured swap deal involving Moxon and Dempsey. I couldn't believe that for a second. Then another of their members ascertained that Moxon had been Dempsey's bitch all game :lol:
Given how angry Kyle was about the abuse during the game I'd suggest that's mildly unlikely.

As to Collins, I agree with the character test issue. If you'd rather play in League Two in the hope you get to meet a celebrity then you're both not the person for us and a pleb.

Money I could understand entirely. For lower league players proper paydays are rare. If Wrexham were to do something silly then fair play if he takes the immediate cash, rather than the prospect of future cash up the divisions with us.

What this all shows though is that this lot know a player. These are intelligent, targeted bits of recruitment that fit into a proper model. Ogbeta is spot on, in terms of profile (doesn't guarantee anything, but it's still meaningful) and Collins would be another in the mould.

If we lined up with Collins, Nlundulu, Charles and Vic as our four options next season then you can fairly ask whether they'll all step up (or any will), as they're unproven at that level; but that is a four with every tactical option in it. I'd like more pace, cards on the table with that, but all of those lads can play together in a pairing in any combination and you can impact any kind of game.