Who opened the door? My money is on Janus! 2024 January transfer thread.

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Who opened the door? My money is on Janus! 2024 January transfer thread.

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Jan 29, 2024 8:18 pm

Ramsay clipreel

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Mon Jan 29, 2024 8:23 pm

Hope Matheson gets out to league two on loan and gets some games. Could be good for him.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Jan 29, 2024 9:03 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2024 8:23 pm
Hope Matheson gets out to league two on loan and gets some games. Could be good for him.
Fully agree - but for whom? Really you want a team playing wingbacks. From what I can see it's a formation used by Wrexham, Barrow, MK Dons, Notts County, Gillingham, Bradford, Colchester, Crawley, Walsall and Newport, so we've a few to aim at... but I'm sure we'll carefully check out his potential digs.

KeyserSoze
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeyserSoze » Mon Jan 29, 2024 9:07 pm

Googled 'Ramsay Bolton' and it didn't bring up much about football. In fact if that's what he has been up to then it's a disgrace he's here tbh.
Nero fiddles while Gordon Burns.

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Mon Jan 29, 2024 9:15 pm

KeyserSoze wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2024 9:07 pm
Googled 'Ramsay Bolton' and it didn't bring up much about football. In fact if that's what he has been up to then it's a disgrace he's here tbh.
:lol:

sonicthewhite
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by sonicthewhite » Mon Jan 29, 2024 9:25 pm

DJBlu wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2024 9:15 pm
KeyserSoze wrote:
:lol:
Sausage, anyone? :shock:
Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!

And the key to a result is a good :kettle:

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Mon Jan 29, 2024 9:25 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2024 8:13 pm
sonicthewhite wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2024 8:10 pm
Here's to hoping that Wrexham do the business tonight because if the Dingles are knocked out then Ennis MAY just push harder to get away to us on loan.
….although it may give Wrexham more money and reinvigorate their interest in Collins?

Ennis was an unused sub in a 4-1 win.
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!

sonicthewhite
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by sonicthewhite » Mon Jan 29, 2024 9:33 pm

TonyDomingos wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2024 9:25 pm
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2024 8:13 pm
sonicthewhite wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2024 8:10 pm
Here's to hoping that Wrexham do the business tonight because if the Dingles are knocked out then Ennis MAY just push harder to get away to us on loan.
….although it may give Wrexham more money and reinvigorate their interest in Collins?

Ennis was an unused sub in a 4-1 win.
Which to me, is quite telling. If you can't get a run out in a Cup game against lge 2 opposition, when the game is already won, then you're clearly not wanted.

sonicthewhite
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by sonicthewhite » Tue Jan 30, 2024 7:52 am

Evatt confirms that we won't be signing a CB this window;

https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/2 ... k-january/

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue Jan 30, 2024 8:29 am

sonicthewhite wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2024 7:52 am

Honestly feels like they've made the right call.

I really, really don't like the idea of leaving the window without another addition at the back - but if the call is either Calvin Ramsay or a centre half I'll take the wingback.

For me we don't need a first choice centre back when people are back, but we did need to improve the options out wide quite badly.

If we get a week beyond the window and we lose a centre back for the rest of the season then it'll look like a bad decision; but the same would have been true if we lost Cogley without Ramsay in.

We're potentially fighting fires until we get a couple back, but the general quality in the squad (and the impactfulness - a word I may have just made up, but which should exist - of the bench) is going up.

Equally, we've avoided overstocking any position past the summer.

Sounds like all the money is being pumped into that striker, whoever they eventually are.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Tue Jan 30, 2024 8:43 am

KeyserSoze wrote:
This is why we need that Like button!
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Jan 30, 2024 9:00 am

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2024 8:29 am
sonicthewhite wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2024 7:52 am

Honestly feels like they've made the right call.

I really, really don't like the idea of leaving the window without another addition at the back - but if the call is either Calvin Ramsay or a centre half I'll take the wingback.

For me we don't need a first choice centre back when people are back, but we did need to improve the options out wide quite badly.

If we get a week beyond the window and we lose a centre back for the rest of the season then it'll look like a bad decision; but the same would have been true if we lost Cogley without Ramsay in.

We're potentially fighting fires until we get a couple back, but the general quality in the squad (and the impactfulness - a word I may have just made up, but which should exist - of the bench) is going up.

Equally, we've avoided overstocking any position past the summer.

Sounds like all the money is being pumped into that striker, whoever they eventually are.
So I understand the theory. My issue at the back is more one of balance. It’s fine saying Cogley can cover right centre back. I can see that. But I think we are in trouble if either Santos or Toal are out for any period. Because for me they are our only ‘true’ centre halves of the ‘head it, scrap the striker, kick it out’ variety. And although we have a lot of possession we also have a habit of relying on defending our box for periods in most games.

Teams that are good at set pieces or throwing the ball into the box are held off when Toal and Santos are on it. And I think the two of them give that balance to us. We aren’t the biggest side generally so we do rely on it. As we would if we were playing a more traditional two centre halves at the back setup.

If either is out for a while I think we become unbalanced in that aspect. Jones, Forrester, Cogley, Iredale can all do roles in that back three but I don’t think any can do the traditional centre back role. We rely on that even in home games against Cheltenham for example.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Tue Jan 30, 2024 9:12 am

Yeah JDC playing at CB is a stretch for me - he's 5'7.

I think we'll be fine when Forrester and Jones are back, but these next few weeks are concerning. Tonight, for example, we don't really have the choice to rate our back three, when ideally we'd be resting all of them.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue Jan 30, 2024 9:24 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2024 9:00 am
So I understand the theory. My issue at the back is more one of balance. It’s fine saying Cogley can cover right centre back. I can see that. But I think we are in trouble if either Santos or Toal are out for any period. Because for me they are our only ‘true’ centre halves of the ‘head it, scrap the striker, kick it out’ variety. And although we have a lot of possession we also have a habit of relying on defending our box for periods in most games.

Teams that are good at set pieces or throwing the ball into the box are held off when Toal and Santos are on it. And I think the two of them give that balance to us. We aren’t the biggest side generally so we do rely on it. As we would if we were playing a more traditional two centre halves at the back setup.

If either is out for a while I think we become unbalanced in that aspect. Jones, Forrester, Cogley, Iredale can all do roles in that back three but I don’t think any can do the traditional centre back role. We rely on that even in home games against Cheltenham for example.
I agree.

Our back three works best when we have two proper centre backs and one quasi fullback.

I think I disagree about who constitutes a proper centre back from amongst our options, but not enough to argue about it. Personally I'd have at least Forrester on that list, in addition to Toal and Santos.

It's all academic now. This is what we're doing, so let's hope lads stay fit.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Jan 30, 2024 9:45 am

I think you're right about Forrester in open play, but I do think set pieces would be an issue. We often pick a team where the only outfield over 6 footers are Toal, Santos and Tommo.

Height doesn't necessarily = aerial ability, and the other lads clearly work hard to do their own jobs, but it's tough to see how you'd handle a Burton away with just Tomo in there. But then, Toal and Rico are two of our best players full stop. And if you lose two of those you're going to struggle no matter what.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue Jan 30, 2024 9:53 am

Prufrock wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2024 9:45 am
I think you're right about Forrester in open play, but I do think set pieces would be an issue. We often pick a team where the only outfield over 6 footers are Toal, Santos and Tommo.

Height doesn't necessarily = aerial ability, and the other lads clearly work hard to do their own jobs, but it's tough to see how you'd handle a Burton away with just Tomo in there. But then, Toal and Rico are two of our best players full stop. And if you lose two of those you're going to struggle no matter what.
Again, I don't disagree.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Jan 30, 2024 9:54 am

Prufrock wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2024 9:45 am

Especially when you consider Thomason is 5’9!

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue Jan 30, 2024 10:07 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2024 9:54 am
He's what now?

I'm taller than Thommo, but surely he's not 5'9"? Must have been wearing heels. He's bout Vic's height, no?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Jan 30, 2024 10:53 am

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2024 10:07 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2024 9:54 am
He's what now?

I'm taller than Thommo, but surely he's not 5'9"? Must have been wearing heels. He's bout Vic's height, no?
He’s listed as 177cm which quick maths is about 5’9” isn’t it? Maybe he’s more 5’10-11 but definitely not a 6 footer!

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue Jan 30, 2024 11:02 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2024 10:53 am
He’s listed as 177cm which quick maths is about 5’9” isn’t it? Maybe he’s more 5’10-11 but definitely not a 6 footer!
The heights online are often wrong. To be fair, club website heights are often wrong too - especially for keepers, who are often taller online.

I've not measured the lad, but I'm not having him as 5'9" in a month of Sundays.

Will be taking my tape to the next preseason game :grin: