Who opened the door? My money is on Janus! 2024 January transfer thread.

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Who opened the door? My money is on Janus! 2024 January transfer thread.

Post by boltonboris » Tue Jan 30, 2024 11:03 am

Google has Matheson at 5'4. He's not a big lad, but he's taller than that!!
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue Jan 30, 2024 11:07 am

boltonboris wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2024 11:03 am
Google has Matheson at 5'4. He's not a big lad, but he's taller than that!!
My Google machine thinks Luke is 5'6", which in all fairness he may well be. Looked very wee at Accy.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue Jan 30, 2024 12:04 pm

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue Jan 30, 2024 12:05 pm

Turkish Second Division is much less worrying. Unless they offer us a package that suits us we should be able to resist that fairly easily.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Jan 30, 2024 12:16 pm

Online heights are an absolute nonsense. My favourite was that they had Ronan Darcy as being 6 2.

I'd be prepared to believe he was 5'11, but he *looks* 6 to me. I bet his bumble profile says he is.

Either way, I'd not be thrilled with him being our main man in an aerial bombardment. He's surprised me before, but that would be a stretch.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue Jan 30, 2024 12:24 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2024 12:16 pm
Online heights are an absolute nonsense. My favourite was that they had Ronan Darcy as being 6 2.
I think I can explain that. Quite a few of the online stats pages take data from Football Manager. One edition of FM a while ago had Darcy as 6'2" and that ended up on quite a few websites. It does seem to have started with FM, rather than been someone editing FM using the sites.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Tue Jan 30, 2024 12:33 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2024 12:05 pm
Turkish Second Division is much less worrying. Unless they offer us a package that suits us we should be able to resist that fairly easily.
If we could get double for Vic what we'd need to pay for Collins that would seem like a good outcome?

Obviously I have no idea whether Turkish second division sides are in a position to pay £1.5m.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue Jan 30, 2024 12:37 pm

The_Gun wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2024 12:33 pm
If we could get double for Vic what we'd need to pay for Collins that would seem like a good outcome?

Obviously I have no idea whether Turkish second division sides are in a position to pay £1.5m.
Goztepe are part of the Sport Republic network, who own Southampton and are currently in the process of acquiring clubs in France and Spain.

Money isn't an issue for them, but they're also not throwing it about.

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Tue Jan 30, 2024 12:45 pm

The_Gun wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2024 12:33 pm
GhostoftheBok wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2024 12:05 pm

The clubs in it to turn a profit, selling Adeboyejo would seem to make sense on that basis, but I really don't like the idea of disrupting our strikeforce when its been ever so proficient. Adding to it, sure, but not changing things that could impact our promotion chase. We saw how well that worked out when we sold Dapo and brought in Shoretire.

Still, i'm confident the club is shrewd in the transfer market. I'd rather we build on what we have rather than see big changes.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Jan 30, 2024 1:05 pm

Looks like Blackburn have settled on an initial £20m from Palace for Wharton. That might make them a little less insistent on the half-mill stipulation for Ennis.
Last edited by Dave Sutton's barnet on Tue Jan 30, 2024 1:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Tue Jan 30, 2024 1:10 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2024 1:05 pm
Looks like Blackburn have settled on an initial £20m from Palace for Wharton. That might make them a little less insistent on the half-mill stipulation for Ennis.
Conversely, they may be less inclined to lose another squad member this window.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Jan 30, 2024 1:13 pm

The_Gun wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2024 1:10 pm
Tue Jan 30, 2024 1:05 pm
Conversely, they may be less inclined to lose another squad member this window.
Possibly but if he doesn’t even get minutes when they’re 4-1 up against a fourth-tier team…

Ilesy’s doing his bit for us, too. Has changed yesterday’s line that we “will” make another Collins bid to Evatt playing the two BRFCs off against each other….;
“We like both players,” Evatt told The Bolton News. “We have paid an interest in both of them as well.

“We made an offer last week to Bristol Rovers (for Collins), which we considered to be a pretty good one, and it was rejected. We are now thinking about what we do next.

“That could be another offer for Aaron but equally we could change tack and go down the loan route again. We are comfortable with where we are, in a good place, and whoever we bring in we are full of confidence that we will get the job done.”
….and Marc’s also dropped this line in:
Wanderers are understood to be looking at other options in the loan market too

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Jan 30, 2024 1:27 pm

In terms of outgoings, Evatt confirms we’ve had League One loan interest for both JDB and Jerome.

https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/2 ... r-pairing/

Insists they won’t be leaving - and he also repeats the “interest from abroad in Victor” story - but it’s interesting to think we could have a fairly major personnel reshuffle… although probably not. It’s a nice place to be.

Meanwhile, looks like Hollywood Wrexham will lift Luke Bolton from Salford. As he’s a progressive right-sider (RB/RM/RWB), Salford could be interested in borrowing Luke Matheson to replace him - although new boss Karl Robinson is more of a 4231 guy.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue Jan 30, 2024 1:34 pm

Tue Jan 30, 2024 1:13 pm
Possibly but if he doesn’t even get minutes when they’re 4-1 up against a fourth-tier team…

Ilesy’s doing his bit for us, too. Has changed yesterday’s line that we “will” make another Collins bid to Evatt playing the two BRFCs off against each other….;
“We like both players,” Evatt told The Bolton News. “We have paid an interest in both of them as well.

“We made an offer last week to Bristol Rovers (for Collins), which we considered to be a pretty good one, and it was rejected. We are now thinking about what we do next.

“That could be another offer for Aaron but equally we could change tack and go down the loan route again. We are comfortable with where we are, in a good place, and whoever we bring in we are full of confidence that we will get the job done.”
….and Marc’s also dropped this line in:
Wanderers are understood to be looking at other options in the loan market too
All makes sense, as well as offering a negotiating position.

Not just spending money for the sake of it and casting around for *someone* to spend 600k on.

Selling Vic is a tough one as very few payers offer what he does. As maligned as he is by many fans, he's attracting interest for a reason. It's easier to add what we're missing than it is to replace Vic. So how we do that in 48 hours or less, when we've taken 30 days thus far to not get a new striker, is up for debate.

Yes, money talks; but then again it also makes people greedy. If we get a big bid for Vic I'd expect selling clubs to suddenly realise that electricity bill is due and they could do with new carpets.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Jan 30, 2024 1:40 pm

All fair. But here’s a hypothetical.

Who among us would be happy if we sold Vic, bought Collins and hired Ennis?
Your choice, dear reader, if Ennis is loan or more permanent; you could also loan out JDB/Jerome if you wish.

Me, I’m not sure. I think we need speed and I like the look of Collins. But Victor brings a lot…

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue Jan 30, 2024 1:50 pm

Tue Jan 30, 2024 1:40 pm
All fair. But here’s a hypothetical.

Who among us would be happy if we sold Vic, bought Collins and hired Ennis?
Your choice, dear reader, if Ennis is loan or more permanent; you could also loan out JDB/Jerome if you wish.

Me, I’m not sure. I think we need speed and I like the look of Collins. But Victor brings a lot…
Personally, no.

We're building a department - where every player offers something different.

I think we need the physicality Vic gives us. Love Bod, but he is powder puff as centre forwards go and gets bullied one-on-one. Super feet and often wins battles on that basis, but it's not the same. Jerome can't play 70-90 minutes.

Ennis and Collins aren't identical, but they would fill similar roles in our squad.

We need a lad who can drag defenders about, battle and lay-off. As well as someone who attracts defenders in and around the 18 yard box. Vic's not irreplaceable, but he is hard to replace and none of the names that have cropped up thus far cut it.

I like our current squad a lot, but I'm not married to them. If we can make a big profit on Victor and replace him with a good player then thanks and good luck. My lad might don the sackcloth and ashes for a bit, though. He LOVES Vic.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Tue Jan 30, 2024 1:52 pm

I had never heard of either Ennis or Collins until this week. We know Vic can do it for us and has more goals than both of them combined, probably.

I'm not sold on this Ennis whatsoever to be honest from what I have read. Seems like a high earner and has fitness issues
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Tue Jan 30, 2024 2:08 pm

For me I'd rather keep Vic and bring in a pacey loanee from a Prem club. From Evatt's comments it sounds as though that could well be on the cards.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue Jan 30, 2024 2:22 pm

The_Gun wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2024 2:08 pm
For me I'd rather keep Vic and bring in a pacey loanee from a Prem club. From Evatt's comments it sounds as though that could well be on the cards.
Got one in mind?

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Tue Jan 30, 2024 2:38 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2024 2:22 pm
The_Gun wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2024 2:08 pm
Got one in mind?
That’s your job, mate.

The only one I’d seen mentioned was Soonsup-Bell at Spurs, but no idea if they were thinking Champo or League One for a loan, or whether we have a relationship there.

I’m sure there must be other options out there for us, though.