Who opened the door? My money is on Janus! 2024 January transfer thread.

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Re: Who opened the door? My money is on Janus! 2024 January transfer thread.

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue Jan 30, 2024 2:47 pm

The_Gun wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2024 2:38 pm
That’s your job, mate.
Thankfully for all of us it's Markham's job.

Let's see how we do. Profiles have all been bang on thus far. Just need Mercury to bless us a bit and for the market to throw something up.

jmjhb
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jmjhb » Tue Jan 30, 2024 2:49 pm

I think it augurs well that we've been linked with (and signing) such exciting players at League One level. If we get promoted I can't wait to see who we might be linked with and bring in...

Also I've been thinking about midfielders. What's Jay Matete doing these days? :D

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue Jan 30, 2024 2:57 pm

jmjhb wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2024 2:49 pm
What's Jay Matete doing these days? :D
Last seen entering the physio's cloakroom at Sunderland. Pushed his way through a load of fur coats into what appeared to be fir trees and snow, never to be seen again.

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Tue Jan 30, 2024 3:42 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2024 1:40 pm
All fair. But here’s a hypothetical.

Who among us would be happy if we sold Vic, bought Collins and hired Ennis?
Your choice, dear reader, if Ennis is loan or more permanent; you could also loan out JDB/Jerome if you wish.

Me, I’m not sure. I think we need speed and I like the look of Collins. But Victor brings a lot…
Nothing in football is certain, but right now we know what we've got and how to use it, so I wouldn't be happy if we changed.

I can understand the reasoning behind JDB or Jerome going, both are nearing the end of their contract and would likely be looking to transition to the next step of their career (either playing or coaching). If someone came in and offered reasonable money for JDB and him a long contract, I think we'd probably end up taking it. Big fan of JDB and would prefer he stayed, but you could understand the logic.

As for Vic, we've got to consider short term strategic planning in relation to getting promoted. Longer term plans would probably see him sold and the club turning a profit and repeating the same process of buying players, raising profile and selling them ala Dapo.

It's the club's choice at the end of the day and being business savvy, you'd have to suspect some future outgoings.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Jan 30, 2024 3:59 pm

The_Gun wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2024 2:38 pm
GhostoftheBok wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2024 2:22 pm
The_Gun wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2024 2:08 pm
For me I'd rather keep Vic and bring in a pacey loanee from a Prem club. From Evatt's comments it sounds as though that could well be on the cards.
Got one in mind?
That’s your job, mate.

The only one I’d seen mentioned was Soonsup-Bell at Spurs, but no idea if they were thinking Champo or League One for a loan, or whether we have a relationship there.

I’m sure there must be other options out there for us, though.
I figured one option is to look at Big Clubs' young strikers, see who's already been out on loan and we might offer to take. Either upgrading clubs like Joe Taylor (or Dan Nlundulu) or downgrading divisions like Calvin Ramsay.

So I did and TBH not much turned up. United recalled Charlie McNeill from Stevenage, who underused him despite him scoring on his debut, and we might be a better fit.

So then it's those who haven't yet been loaned. Given Liverpool love us, we could take a chance on Kaide Gordon but he's very inexperienced. Same would go for City's Tai Sodje, who would boost the Nigerian-diaspora quota; or Spurs' Jamie Donley; or United's Ethan Ennis, although he's more of a winger. Once you get into these lads, there's more risk.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Tue Jan 30, 2024 4:00 pm

This Collins deal. Presumably being in Jan, where you offer X.5yr deals, we'd be more inclined to offer 3.5 years, than 2.5 years?

Ideally if signed in the summer, we'd be looking to offer him a 3yr deal, so that is something else that has to be factored into his cost. An additional half year, or year depending on how you look at it.

What you don't want is to offer a 2.5yr deal, he has a great end of season, does well next season and before you know it he's in the last year of his deal and your bargaining power is reduced somewhat on his fee

@Ghost / Would be likely offer him 2.5 with an auto-extra year upon promotion?
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Jan 30, 2024 4:15 pm

Good question Boris. We’ve been quite good at updating contracts on the fly even when not close to ending. Not sure we should/would have promotion triggers without matching relegation clauses - that way madness lies.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Jan 30, 2024 4:49 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2024 2:57 pm
jmjhb wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2024 2:49 pm
What's Jay Matete doing these days? :D
Last seen entering the physio's cloakroom at Sunderland. Pushed his way through a load of fur coats into what appeared to be fir trees and snow, never to be seen again.
NAR NIA...NEVER.. :mrgreen:

ae:) ae:)
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Jan 30, 2024 10:35 pm

We’ve made a second and last bid for Collins says Evatt.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Jan 30, 2024 10:45 pm

Santos and Toal injuries. Transfer jiggle incoming.

https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/2 ... blackpool/

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Jan 30, 2024 10:48 pm

I don’t think we will get Collins. All feels too public now. Bristol Rovers will feel the need to dig their heels in. We ain’t paying 1M. So to me feels like it needed to happen quietly in the first place but now it’s openly out there I suspect it’s unlikely.

brommers95
Reliable
Reliable

Post by brommers95 » Tue Jan 30, 2024 10:56 pm

What’s Alex Baptiste up to these days?

brommers95
Reliable
Reliable

Post by brommers95 » Tue Jan 30, 2024 10:58 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2024 10:48 pm
I don’t think we will get Collins. All feels too public now. Bristol Rovers will feel the need to dig their heels in. We ain’t paying 1M. So to me feels like it needed to happen quietly in the first place but now it’s openly out there I suspect it’s unlikely.
I think they’ll cave, not sure they’ll want an underperforming player who’s currently refusing to play hanging around for the second half of the season.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Tue Jan 30, 2024 11:14 pm

Best bit is we’ll find out tomorrow!
Last edited by officer_dibble on Tue Jan 30, 2024 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Tue Jan 30, 2024 11:14 pm

If Collins fails - Cheeky, late, low bid for Clark-Harries? He's going for nowt in 6 months if they don't get any takers.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue Jan 30, 2024 11:20 pm

Tue Jan 30, 2024 10:45 pm
Santos and Toal injuries. Transfer jiggle incoming.

https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/2 ... blackpool/
Toal is carrying an existing achilles injury and we weren't going into the market for a centre half with lads dropping like flies?

fecking hell...

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue Jan 30, 2024 11:22 pm

boltonboris wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2024 4:00 pm
@Ghost / Would be likely offer him 2.5 with an auto-extra year upon promotion?
3.5 for me.

Maintains the asset's full value for 18 months and allows us to assess him in the Championship. Otherwise you're having a look at him and he's potentially into his final year, which gives him all the power in any negotiations.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Jan 31, 2024 12:16 am

So. Same exercise: which Big Club lads might we borrow? Seems to me there's more options - perhaps because more young defenders seem to get loaned out than tyro forwards.

First choice might be Finley Burns, who is not only Man City and thus presumably good on the ball, but also 6ft5 (it says here). However, he's already on loan at Stevenage, where he's played the majority of games (interestingly, lately in midfield). Doubtful they'd risk scrapping the Stevenage loan to send him to us, but might be worth asking. We might have made a bid to take over Jadel Katongo's loan at Peterborough, but they're playing him now (at right-back). Luke Mbete, if you're wondering, is at Den Bosch.

Moving on to our other mates at Liverpool, they've recalled Frenchman Billy Koumetio (6ft5, 21 y.o.) from loan at Dunkerque. He's left-sided, which might help. We've already missed the best Anfield options in Luke Chambers (snaffled by Wigan) and Rhys Williams (Vale).

From Arsenal, we could request Omar Rekik (22, 6ft2) who spent the first half of the season at Wigan, playing around half the time.

Villa recalled Lamare Bogarde, a 6ft 20yo Dutchman (Winston's nephew) who can play DM or CB, from Bristol Rovers this month. They're said to want a Champo destination next, but who knows?

Bournemouth recalled Owen Bevan (6ft1, 20yo) from Cheltenham after he'd played half the games available. Hibs were linked with him yesterday. The Cherries also recalled James Hill (22, 6ft) from a loan at Blackburn but he's now ineligible as he's played for his parent club.

Burnley recalled Benn Ward from Swindon to rehab a hernia problem - he's back soon, but won't be at speed.

Everton are likely to want to rehome Reece Welch, whom they lent to FGR before it became a dumpster fire (they recaleld him last month). Whether he's up to the job is another question.

What might be funny is buying out Kell Watts' contract from Newcastle just to piss Wigan off.

Wolves' Nigel Lonwijk, who played 41 times for Plymouth last season, was sent to Grasshoppers Zurich in summer but came back six weeks ago with a muscle problem. If he's over that, he definitely knows the division and they'd presumably be happy to send him out again.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Jan 31, 2024 12:33 am

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2024 11:20 pm

Toal is carrying an existing achilles injury and we weren't going into the market for a centre half with lads dropping like flies?

fecking hell...
Neither ruled out for Barnsley yet, though.

https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/2 ... vers-star/

Iles thinks second Collins bid is £750k.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Wed Jan 31, 2024 12:45 am

Wed Jan 31, 2024 12:33 am
Neither ruled out for Barnsley yet, though.
I'd suggest that doesn't matter.

If he's carrying a known issue we can't put him through Tues/Sat fixtures and hope reinforcements rock up in the form of returning lads weeks from now. There's no guarantee the injured lads come back 100%, nor that Geth comes back fit.

If you're down to 3 centre backs and "versatility" and one of your actual centre backs has a known injury you need someone in.

I get it, we need a quality striker and there's sod all money to do much else - but we have to figure something out and if we absolutely can't then it's a massive point of failure. We can't pretend otherwise.

I'm not going to piss and moan about it or cry doom from the nearest tower, but we need a centre half in the building.

The budget must be stretched paper thin. We're carrying injured lads who are all still earning. I do understand it. I also understand that we have 6 centre halves contracted past the summer and adding a 7th would really hurt us in the next window. I also also understand that loanees won't come here unless we give them minutes.

It's a major pain in the arse of a puzzle and we have to solve it in 48 hours.

I was accepting of the situation until I found out Toal has a known issue. Now I'm raising an eyebrow. They must know they are playing with fire.