Who opened the door? My money is on Janus! 2024 January transfer thread.

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Mar
Icon
Icon

Re: Who opened the door? My money is on Janus! 2024 January transfer thread.

Post by Mar » Thu Feb 01, 2024 9:48 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2024 9:41 am
Mar wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2024 9:39 am
Aaron Collins to come in for £750k. Interesting. That's first team starting figures.

I can imagine that we'll have accepted that there's a few things that may happen here. The first i'd imagine would be Dan N'lundulu being out for the rest of the season, ala the Bodvarsson injury (and the protection he had) and the second maybe Vic going to that Turkish club who have been sniffing around.

It'll be nice to get him in to get us over the line as we're clearly missing a replacement for pace off the bench up top. Both Jerome and Bodvarsson are quicker than they look, but I think its a notable step down in pace when they're playing, whereas the likes of N'lundulu is that pacey impact player that we've been missing off the bench.

It's all very quiet on the defensive front, which is a bit of a concern, but the clubs been very good at keeping things under wraps lately.
Club have already said Vic isn’t being sold. We lacked quality up top behind the two starters and maybe at times with the two starters so they see Collins as the answer to that. He scores goals and creates them. We don’t have a forward like that.
There's still time left in the window but hopefully Vic stays. As for the player behind the two, we've got CMG back in contention who presumably was intended to do that role. Perhaps the Collins deal would end up putting CMG into more of the wide man role.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Feb 01, 2024 10:01 am

I doubt given where we're at the notion is to get Collins in and unload Vic. I'd be stunned.

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Thu Feb 01, 2024 10:04 am

Worthy4England wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2024 10:01 am
I doubt given where we're at the notion is to get Collins in and unload Vic. I'd be stunned.
Even if we get double the amount?

IIRC there's been a tag of around £1.5m for Vic from Turkey floating around (possibly unfounded), if Collins offers what Vic offers and we make £750k profit then surely that'd be sensible business.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Thu Feb 01, 2024 10:06 am

News out of the Bristol end would seem to indicate that we did the obvious thing. Split the difference and made the additional money contingent on promotion.

If that's correct this is actually a very sensible transfer fee. Slightly more than we paid for Vic (the up front part) for last season's PotY would be great. If we go up we can cope with it costing us a couple of hundred thousand.

I doubt Bristol have just let us get off with the excess if we don't go up. Presumably it'll just be paid over a much longer period if we're still in the mire of League One next season.

Get your season tickets bought on Friday, lads. We'll already be in hock.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Feb 01, 2024 10:07 am

Mar wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2024 10:04 am
Worthy4England wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2024 10:01 am
Even if we get double the amount?

IIRC there's been a tag of around £1.5m for Vic from Turkey floating around (possibly unfounded), if Collins offers what Vic offers and we make £750k profit then surely that'd be sensible business.
I'm sure there is some sort of "number" that might force our hand - but I'd be equally sure Evatt would have spoken to Vic about his thoughts (given that Evatt has previously said there's no substance to the rumour)...

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Thu Feb 01, 2024 10:08 am

Mar wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2024 10:04 am
if Collins offers what Vic offers and we make £750k profit then surely that'd be sensible business.
But he doesn't.

Collins and Vic are radically different players.

We need both.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Feb 01, 2024 10:10 am

It’s probably separate thread worthy when they announce the prices but I do note the club have said prices to be announced for STs next season and they are going up by 10-20%.

Apparently we’d be fourth most expensive in league one and 4th cheapest in championship.

So I’d say it’s pretty clear - pressure is seriously on to go up this year. Which probably explains the Collins move.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Thu Feb 01, 2024 10:13 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2024 10:10 am
It’s probably separate thread worthy when they announce the prices but I do note the club have said prices to be announced for STs next season and they are going up by 10-20%.

Apparently we’d be fourth most expensive in league one and 4th cheapest in championship.

So I’d say it’s pretty clear - pressure is seriously on to go up this year. Which probably explains the Collins move.
Notable that they also said the prices after early bird discounts were going to rise dramatically, so final figures could be interesting.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Feb 01, 2024 10:21 am

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2024 10:13 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2024 10:10 am

Notable that they also said the prices after early bird discounts were going to rise dramatically, so final figures could be interesting.

Yeah I noticed that, and that means buying before we know what division we are in. Which feels like a deliberate plan.

I’m not overly keen on the way this has been communicated. I think every man and his dog expected a price rise but front up about it and don’t go so early. It’s too early for ST renewal imo. Some people have literally only bought their half st a few weeks back.

I do sense a very clear ‘we are in trouble if we don’t go up ‘ message here. Fewer tickets will sell and if they are dramatically raising prices following the early purchase period then what will happen is the people who have to buy late….wont especially if we are in league one.

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Thu Feb 01, 2024 10:27 am

Presumably getting people to sort out season tickets earlier helps to secure funding for next season and get on the front foot in terms of financial planning, whereas with people not being signed up for next season there's always a calculated risk taking place. Seems sensible, and there doesn't seem much downside as you can still get your season ticket later in the summer.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Feb 01, 2024 10:40 am

Mar wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2024 10:27 am
Presumably getting people to sort out season tickets earlier helps to secure funding for next season and get on the front foot in terms of financial planning, whereas with people not being signed up for next season there's always a calculated risk taking place. Seems sensible, and there doesn't seem much downside as you can still get your season ticket later in the summer.
This is very early. And the ‘dramatic increase’ if you can’t buy before April seems to be a step change. Yes there is always a price rise after the early bird periods but seemingly they are trying to essentially front load all sales.

No issue with price rises but putting it out in the paper on deadline day, and going so early to me isn’t great.

I understand some of the reasoning. But clearly there is considerable pressure to go up given how they’ve structured this and the nature of the communication. Id like some assurance what happens if we don’t go up. For a working class northern town to be the 4th most expensive in the league, well I think that would be problematic unless we were riding high in the league and the matchday experience was considerably improved.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Thu Feb 01, 2024 10:45 am

We've clearly used "The Bond" to inflate the wage budget a bit, so maintaining that would likely be a real strain if we stay down.

Increased ticket prices might help, but if we don't go up it could also mean selling a couple of prized assets.

Santos would be an obvious one, with 12 months on his deal. Vic too, with interest. Then would Thommo's agent let him sign a new deal here without a release clause if we don't go up? Baxter would also be hard to keep.

Could be a lot of upheaval if we don't make it this season.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Thu Feb 01, 2024 10:49 am

Anyway, enough of that.

We're very clearly winning the league. Posh away? Pah! Blackpool away where we've not won since Callaghan was Prime Minister? Easy!

With a fag on, lads. With a bloody fag on.

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Thu Feb 01, 2024 11:17 am

We signed anyone yet?

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Thu Feb 01, 2024 11:34 am

I think we’ll get a late afternoon announcement of Collins then someone else (young centre back on loan is my prediction) into the evening.
Last edited by officer_dibble on Thu Feb 01, 2024 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Feb 01, 2024 11:36 am

Sounds like Collins could be only new one through the door today. Which I mean is good if santos and Toal are fit, but I’d still prefer us to mitigate the risk if at all possible.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Thu Feb 01, 2024 11:48 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2024 11:36 am
Sounds like Collins could be only new one through the door today. Which I mean is good if santos and Toal are fit, but I’d still prefer us to mitigate the risk if at all possible.
I think everyone would prefer it, but we're carrying a lot of wages now.

We'll be paying 6 strikers pretty soon. 25 senior pros.

Maybe we've got room for just a wafer-thin mint...if not, I hope we get lucky.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Thu Feb 01, 2024 11:51 am

sonicthewhite
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by sonicthewhite » Thu Feb 01, 2024 11:55 am

I think Collins is about to be announced.
Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!

And the key to a result is a good :kettle:

truewhite15
Passionate
Passionate

Post by truewhite15 » Thu Feb 01, 2024 11:57 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2024 11:36 am
Of course you'd always want redundancies for your redundancies for your back ups.

Unfortunately, things don't work like that.