Who opened the door? My money is on Janus! 2024 January transfer thread.

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Re: Who opened the door? My money is on Janus! 2024 January transfer thread.

Post by GhostoftheBok » Fri Feb 02, 2024 10:08 am

I've been looking at our new relationship with Ludo and wondering if we might not end up in either a multi-club ownership model or an informal international network within the next couple of seasons.

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Fri Feb 02, 2024 10:12 am

sonicthewhite wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2024 9:58 am
DJBlu wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2024 9:38 am
I think the club have done it again and struck a really decent balance. Morale is important and I doubt there isn't one player that thinks they can't get into the side. The fans are onside as questions have been answered.

It looks like we have the tools to keep the upward trend.

COYWM!!!!

P.s. The gut feeling disappeared overnight, must've been wind.
I hope you weren't sat on the couch when the feeling disappeared? :shock:
I think the phrase is "How now brown couch?"

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Fri Feb 02, 2024 12:14 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2024 12:39 am
Feel a bit sad for Luke Matheson. Maybe (I dunno) they could loan him to Ireland or the National League but I would have hoped for a fourth-tier career-builder for him.
Me too. National league is a good standard so hope he gets fixed up, or possibly abroad depending on which windows still open? Lad needs games.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Fri Feb 02, 2024 7:04 pm

Well...it ain't Morley.

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Fri Feb 02, 2024 8:39 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2024 7:04 pm
Well...it ain't Morley.
It's like they've got a good relationship with ourselves as part of a progress channel. Seems to be working out

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Tue Feb 06, 2024 1:40 pm

Mar wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2024 9:13 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2024 8:01 am
Interesting that Ennis pitched up at Stoke on a permanent deal which is I think what Blackburn wanted all along.

I think that for the supposed cost of that loan (and wages would have been big) it might end up being for the best.
Almost as if Blackburn were using our potential interest as a way of upping the price of their asset prior to sale.
https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/s ... loan-move/
Is it me, or is Blackburns speciality pretending to sign players on deadline day? (Wrong thread but I could t be arsed starting one about them!).

sonicthewhite
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by sonicthewhite » Wed Feb 21, 2024 7:55 am

It would appear that someone forgot to close the window. We're apparently after Ravel Morrison who is a free agent after leaving DC United. Sheffield Weds and Peterborough are also interested according to the Gossip thread on the BBC site

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/gossip

He might have had talent at one point but the baggage he's got and general shithouse attitude would make it a no from me.
Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!

And the key to a result is a good :kettle:

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Wed Feb 21, 2024 8:21 am

Absolutely no chance are we signing that muppet. Agent talk.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Feb 21, 2024 1:53 pm

It feels very unlikely to me. I do wonder whether Morrison has had an unfairly bad rap - Danny Taylor's piece for The Athletic (below) reveals some interesting stories, like United banning him from taking his ADHD prescription, and people in the game who will defend his personality, especially in recent years.

https://theathletic.com/2046045/2020/09 ... ham-lazio/

However, I still think it's a whiffy link. Evatt places a lot of importance on personality, and while Morrison may be somewhat unfairly derided, he's not exactly a professionalism poster-boy. We're no longer particularly seeking between-window free transfers - and the famous bygone exception, Kieran Lee, was a consummate professional. And he's not particularly what's needed. We don't play with a 10, and even for the jobs closest to that role we've already got other players like CMG, Collins and Bod.

As Dibs says, smells like agent talk.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Wed Feb 21, 2024 3:07 pm

Quite popular in dressing rooms by all accounts, but no manager has ever gotten a tune out of him. I think his ability has always been overplayed whilst his attitude possibly underplayed

Can imagine he's one of those players who managers think of as a project and they end up with "he's actually a decent lad, but he's not that good at footy"
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

irie Cee Bee
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by irie Cee Bee » Wed Feb 21, 2024 4:26 pm

Morrison was a regular for Jamaica over the last couple years. In recent times he has been dropped, really because he no club. Still very talented and did not cause us any problems to mention. His control and ability to see and make a pass is still in tact. Seems to have matured over the years.

As to whether he would be a fit for Bolton, I have my doubts because he doesn't run a lot. Others would have to do the running for him and whether that would be fine with Evatt, I don't think so. Definitely would need time to get his fitness up to speed. Nonetheless, give him the ball with 3 opposing players around him, he certainly won't lose it.

irie Cee Bee
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by irie Cee Bee » Wed Feb 21, 2024 4:31 pm

Wed Feb 21, 2024 1:53 pm
And he's not particularly what's needed. We don't play with a 10, and even for the jobs closest to that role we've already got other players like CMG, Collins and Bod.

Morrison is much better than these players, and can play in a no. 6 Sheehan role also if asked.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Feb 21, 2024 4:56 pm

irie Cee Bee wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2024 4:31 pm
And he's not particularly what's needed. We don't play with a 10, and even for the jobs closest to that role we've already got other players like CMG, Collins and Bod.

Morrison is much better than these players, and can play in a no. 6 Sheehan role also if asked.
Still, at 31? Gotta admit I've not seen anything of him in recent memory...

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Feb 21, 2024 5:29 pm

irie Cee Bee wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2024 4:31 pm

So I hear. But if, as you (as an admirer) say, he "doesn't run" then I can't imagine how he fits into either role - and therefore I honestly doubt our manager will see him as "much better" than our current options.

If the report is true (and I have my doubts), he's also been linked with Peterborough, who are below us, and Sheffield Wednesday, who are a freewheeling dumpster fire of a club hurtling toward relegation on less than 1ppg. He's also not played club football since 2022, as DC United decided not to even register him for the last 12 months of his 18-month deal. So yeah - risks aplenty.

irie Cee Bee
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by irie Cee Bee » Wed Feb 21, 2024 6:27 pm

He is "much better", even at 31 from an individual skill and ability perspective but based on how Evatt wants his players to run in his system, not sure even Messi at 36 would be a sure pick in our first 11.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Feb 21, 2024 7:58 pm

irie Cee Bee wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2024 6:27 pm
He is "much better", even at 31 from an individual skill and ability perspective but based on how Evatt wants his players to run in his system, not sure even Messi at 36 would be a sure pick in our first 11.
Cheers

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Feb 22, 2024 8:33 pm

Iles posted a "nowt in it" about Morrison with the tumbleweed gif.

sonicthewhite
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by sonicthewhite » Thu Feb 22, 2024 10:11 pm

Matheson has finally got his loan move. He's off to Ireland until the end of June. Hope he does well.
Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!

And the key to a result is a good :kettle:

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Fri Feb 23, 2024 10:48 am

sonicthewhite wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2024 10:11 pm
Matheson has finally got his loan move. He's off to Ireland until the end of June. Hope he does well.
Seems like he's on his way out, although its early days and this may be a good way of getting him competitive game time.

Quite like the player, think he's been a good addition to the squad but that lack of height plus the notable step down in quality from JDC probably raises a few quality concerns.

Reminds me of a better version of Jak Hickman. Someone who looks a touch exciting, could end up being decent but just doesn't quite fit the requirement.

truewhite15
Passionate
Passionate

Post by truewhite15 » Fri Feb 23, 2024 11:41 am

Mar wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2024 10:48 am
sonicthewhite wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2024 10:11 pm
Seems like he's on his way out, although its early days and this may be a good way of getting him competitive game time.

Quite like the player, think he's been a good addition to the squad but that lack of height plus the notable step down in quality from JDC probably raises a few quality concerns.

Reminds me of a better version of Jak Hickman. Someone who looks a touch exciting, could end up being decent but just doesn't quite fit the requirement.
Definitely wouldn't say that. Noises from the club have been that they're impressed but he needs regular football to improve. A few months as a first teamer in Ireland should stand him in good stead.