Going for the full Nelson? Away to Portsmouth Mon, 11th Dec, 8-o'clock.

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Going for the full Nelson? Away to Portsmouth Mon, 11th Dec, 8-o'clock.

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Dec 11, 2023 10:03 pm

Poor result but Evatt tactically was out thought.

Top of the table side and ultimately probably revolves around the miss.

But have to move on now and win Saturday. Big game.

And I’d say that it does show where weaknesses are. Santos was absolutely abysmal tonight closely followed by Toal and Sheehan. Morley as noted was shocking when he came on and the wing backs are imo struggling against better sides.

There is work to do to improve the squad.
Last edited by BWFC_Insane on Mon Dec 11, 2023 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Mon Dec 11, 2023 10:03 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2023 10:02 pm
If Dion scores that goal it's a different game. But he didn't and it's cost us. We looked good for the first 20 but after that, far far too many players disappointed.
Goals change games. Trite, but true.

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Mon Dec 11, 2023 10:04 pm

Decent first half. Piss poor second half.

Overawed by the occasion. Heads gone. Keeper trying to pass out the back, midfield hoofing, strikers left stranded.

Strange decision starting with Bod who was performing striker tonight but it looked like we were disjointed. It's a gamble that didn't pay off.

Plenty in that first half to suggest that we're going to challenge at the top.

Most maddening thing is that we just seemed to pull another Wigan game. Shock and awed. It's not the bolton side that we've become accustomed to.

Plenty of positives, just not that second half.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Mon Dec 11, 2023 10:04 pm

Yeah felt like that Barnsley play off. Still seems to be our Achilles heel, not being able to roll up our sleeves and step up for a battle when we are faced with a team pressing us up the pitch. Cue the request for a Karl Henry type. We wilted there second half which is really poor - needed more from the captain tonight.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Mon Dec 11, 2023 10:08 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2023 10:04 pm
Yeah felt like that Barnsley play off. Still seems to be our Achilles heel, not being able to roll up our sleeves and step up for a battle when we are faced with a team pressing us up the pitch. Cue the request for a Karl Henry type. We wilted there second half which is really poor - needed more from the captain tonight.
Any side that plays like we do is vulnerable to a really good press. At any level.

The answer isn't Karl Henry, it's Rodri.

You have to be better at what you do and have the balls to do it. When players hide from the ball, we're done.

If that's Johnston on the left of the three it's a very different game. If Charles shows up it's a very different game. We're far from done.

dave the minion
Reliable
Reliable

Post by dave the minion » Mon Dec 11, 2023 10:10 pm

Sadly (or gladly?) I missed the game as was out, and as disappointing the result is now I've seen it, I must admit to having a bit of a chuckle reading some of the reactions from the usual suspects!!!

We've lost 1 out of the last 10. 2 of the last 15. Just saying, that's all.....

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Mon Dec 11, 2023 10:11 pm

Ahh yeah George Johnston - big miss in games like that.

Can’t remember us creating so little and giving the ball away so much.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Mon Dec 11, 2023 10:12 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2023 10:03 pm
Santos was absolutely abysmal tonight closely followed by Toal and Sheehan.
Santos and Sheehan at least wanted to play.

Sheehan struggled with two men pressing him, because Pompey targeted him. I can forgive that.

Santos came up against another unit and lost the battle. I can forgive that.

I can forgive Toal getting skinned one-on-one, but I can't forgive him AGAIN giving up on the game in possession - just like against Barnsley.

The lad does not want to ball at his feet when there's any pressure at all. That's not acceptable.

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Mon Dec 11, 2023 10:13 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2023 10:04 pm
That's the one. The Barnsley match. Two halves with one where we were woefully off the pace.

It feels like we need a strong midfielder who can receive the ball from the goalie and then calm everyone down. Instead we had too many just hoofing the ball after our defence trying to pass delicately. Hoof at the back, hold in mid if needs be, but don't undo the hard work at the back with panicky passes in midfield.

They had four attackers pressing our one defender and led to a lack of options. Someone to get it and hold it up top would've been nice. Vic isn't that player, he's a good foil like Kacha was.

We lacked composure, thats the crux of the matter. First half no problem, second half big problem.

Not the end of the world. A blip so to speak. Were in a really good position. Let's go again.

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Mon Dec 11, 2023 10:14 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2023 10:12 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:

Sheehan struggled with two men pressing him, because Pompey targeted him. I can forgive that.

I can forgive Toal getting skinned one-on-one, but I can't forgive him AGAIN giving up on the game in possession - just like against Barnsley.

The lad does not want to ball at his feet when there's any pressure at all. That's not acceptable.
Remember all the mistakes Santos made? He had seasons where he was known for being prone to a slip up. His good outweighed the bad and I'm sure it'll be the same for Toal. These are the learning experiences for Toal that Santos has already been through. Let's hope he learns from it.

dave the minion
Reliable
Reliable

Post by dave the minion » Mon Dec 11, 2023 10:15 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Poor result but Evatt tactically was out thought.

Top of the table side and ultimately probably revolves around the miss.

But have to move on now and win Saturday. Big game.

And I’d say that it does show where weaknesses are. Santos was absolutely abysmal tonight closely followed by Toal and Sheehan. Morley as noted was shocking when he came on and the wing backs are imo struggling against better sides.

There is work to do to improve the squad.
So Santos is one of our weaknesses again now is he? I know its been a while, but I guess he's back on your hit list now - despite being widely respected across the league as being one of the best in the division (as their manager has just said in his interview)???

Maybe - just maybe - and I didn't see it so I am purely speculating - he just had an off game and/or was outplayed by someone who had a blinder? Hardly makes him one of our major weaknesses though does it?

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Mon Dec 11, 2023 10:15 pm

Mar wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2023 10:13 pm
It feels like we need a strong midfielder who can receive the ball from the goalie and then calm everyone down.
*cough* Wiredu *cough*

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Mon Dec 11, 2023 10:16 pm

I think when Thomasson went off we lost the ability to press them - Dempsey didn’t show up when he came on and Morley, yeah less said the better.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Mon Dec 11, 2023 10:17 pm

I think the lad playing up top for them last night is a championship striker - only his second start apparently! He’s exactly the kind of striker we need to sign.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Mon Dec 11, 2023 10:19 pm

dave the minion wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2023 10:15 pm
So Santos is one of our weaknesses again now is he? I know its been a while, but I guess he's back on your hit list now - despite being widely respected across the league as being one of the best in the division (as their manager has just said in his interview)???

Maybe - just maybe - and I didn't see it so I am purely speculating - he just had an off game and/or was outplayed by someone who had a blinder? Hardly makes him one of our major weaknesses though does it?
I remember when Drogba absolutely ragdolled Vidic. Presumably Ferguson realised at that stage Vidic was non-league.

Also special mention to John Stones, who was mocked so badly for being physically dominated by a lower league striker in an FA Cup game that he immediately retired. Where is he now, I wonder...

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Dec 11, 2023 10:20 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2023 10:12 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:

Santos and Sheehan played us into trouble with lazy poorly executed straight balls. All the time.

So let’s not pretend they were trying to tiki taka it.

The only player tonight who I felt knew how to beat Portsmouth was Thomason and he knew the space was in behind not short, Sheehan is out now anyway but it’s typical of him, I don’t trust him when the heat is turned up.

This yengi fella…can we find one like him in January? He was very good I thought and made Santos look bang average first half and a clown second half.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Dec 11, 2023 10:21 pm

Very poor display. Played off he park by a far better side. Depressing thing (despite a poor ref) is we showed no fight at all. First half, till we conceded with a couple of minutes to go, we at least looked like a football team. Second half we played like Moss Bank Rovers. We were beaten for pace in every area and there was more green than a snooker table in our half

To blame Bod( pushed, shoved and dragged about by every defender) even Charles, is pointless when all we were doing was firing panic ball hopeful wallops forward. The difference in quality is frightening and we need somebody with fight. Taking Maghoma off was a mistake'; one of the few who can unlock a defence. Williams was very poor and you have to feel sorry for our goalie. Captain Fantastic got a hiding from Yengi. All in all, one to forget. I won't sleep well tonight. :(

ae:)
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Mon Dec 11, 2023 10:21 pm

JDB itch well and truly scratched.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Dec 11, 2023 10:22 pm

Yeah Thomason is our best midfield player. That much is now obvious.

When he went off any hope we had went with him.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Dec 11, 2023 10:24 pm

DJBlu wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2023 10:21 pm
JDB itch well and truly scratched.
He’s a better player than Adeboyejo and showed it tonight. Held the ball really well. Faded second half not sure why he stayed on but I guess Charles wasn’t great.