Murder on the Orient Express. Home to Leyton O, Sat 23rd Dec, 15:00

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Murder on the Orient Express. Home to Leyton O, Sat 23rd Dec, 15:00

Post by Prufrock » Sun Dec 24, 2023 5:30 pm

It was a weird game. I mean obviously, obviously, when you're 3-0 in 9 minutes and rampant you would win comfortably.

And it's clear to me complacency did kick in. Sure they improved but we should never have got into a position where we're hanging on from there. We're at the start of a busy period so I can see why we tried to manage it. No use winning 10-0 if we're then shagged on Tues. But it's also very very hard to turn it back on again once you've dropped off and their tails get up.

We then gave away two poor goals and had to dig in.

I do also think there is an element of luck when they miss a free header. It's good play from Jerome and then Forrester, but had those chances taken to us we'd be thinking we shouldn't have been given them the chance to make those blocks. But there's always an element of luck in all football games, but a lot more then that too.

And we won the game. Again. And we did the ugly stuff to see it out even if a more perfect team wouldn't have had to. The main thing I think was a) to get the win, and b) to get back among the goals. Big week coming up and we started it with 3 points.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Dec 24, 2023 5:49 pm

I think the bit about "luck" you have to cut it the same way for each side. They were lucky with Dion through on goal, that he's a better tackler than they managed...but no, that's probably us being "useless" :-)

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Dec 24, 2023 6:12 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sun Dec 24, 2023 3:53 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sun Dec 24, 2023 3:49 pm
As is usually the case.
We're 3rd with a game in hand and a 62% win rate.

As is usually the case?

Honestly, what is going on, Insane? Are you alright?
As in when we do struggle it’s usually self inflicted rather than we are playing teams better than us.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Dec 24, 2023 6:20 pm

Gotta say it's been a masterful effort on the back of a win!

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sun Dec 24, 2023 7:22 pm

So we're crap because the only way we can now lose is if we don't maintain levels?

What a wonderful kind of crap to be. And with a squad full of non-league, bobbins players.

Where do we put the statue of Evatt?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Dec 24, 2023 7:44 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sun Dec 24, 2023 7:22 pm
So we're crap because the only way we can now lose is if we don't maintain levels?

What a wonderful kind of crap to be. And with a squad full of non-league, bobbins players.

Where do we put the statue of Evatt?
No. We are always dominant. Unless Leyton Orient bring on Darren Pratley and try some tackles. Then it’s basically impossible for us to play and there is nothing we can do about it but accept it and be glad we clung on from 3-0 up. Nothing to do with switching off. It’s all because people didn’t stand the right spaces apart and let’s face it the mighty Leyton orient with such a tactical masterstroke as that is going to be impossible for basically anyone. Especially when they can’t stand the requisite distance apart. Can’t be helped. We are such a dominant team it’s not really fair, I guess.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Dec 24, 2023 8:33 pm

It was no real surprise to find Orient on the chase, was it?. We had the lead, we had the points and they had travelled a fair distance to go away with nothing. Keep them out, prevent them scoring, job done. We did it without our captain and main central defender. Half the season's gone and teams know our strengths an weaknesses and will play on the latter and we're a team to beat. Let's enjoy it. All said, I thought Toal did a fair job. On with the next lot... :pissed:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sun Dec 24, 2023 11:29 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sun Dec 24, 2023 7:44 pm
No. We are always dominant. Unless Leyton Orient bring on Darren Pratley and try some tackles. Then it’s basically impossible for us to play and there is nothing we can do about it but accept it and be glad we clung on from 3-0 up. Nothing to do with switching off. It’s all because people didn’t stand the right spaces apart and let’s face it the mighty Leyton orient with such a tactical masterstroke as that is going to be impossible for basically anyone. Especially when they can’t stand the requisite distance apart. Can’t be helped. We are such a dominant team it’s not really fair, I guess.
Have you been drinking?

Do I need to once again quote the bits of previous quotes where I said the opposite of what you want to make it look like I said?

Do you not get bored of being constantly wrong, or can you not tell the difference anymore? Is it just words and so long as the words don't stop you've never really been wrong, because the conversation is ongoing?

Conversation is done now, Insane. You've been wrong for a long time.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Mon Dec 25, 2023 1:51 pm

Their 2nd goal was a belter even if I was a bit too panicky to fully appreciate it at the time.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Dec 25, 2023 2:09 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Mon Dec 25, 2023 1:51 pm
Their 2nd goal was a belter even if I was a bit too panicky to fully appreciate it at the time.
I think I clapped even while swearing

dave the minion
Reliable
Reliable

Post by dave the minion » Mon Dec 25, 2023 6:36 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Mon Dec 25, 2023 2:09 pm
Harry Genshaw wrote:
Mon Dec 25, 2023 1:51 pm
I think I clapped even while swearing
As did I, and then I was promptly shouted at by my son for doing so.....