Murder on the Orient Express. Home to Leyton O, Sat 23rd Dec, 15:00

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Murder on the Orient Express. Home to Leyton O, Sat 23rd Dec, 15:00

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Dec 24, 2023 2:22 pm

I get that it takes two sides to make that type of game. It's a "that" problem, rather than an "us" problem (mind I don't think I said it was an "us" problem, just that possession based football can look pretty boring, because of the imbalance) :-)

dave the minion
Reliable
Reliable

Post by dave the minion » Sun Dec 24, 2023 2:25 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sun Dec 24, 2023 2:13 pm
GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sun Dec 24, 2023 1:55 pm
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Sun Dec 24, 2023 1:14 pm
To be clear on this bolded part - you’re glad that some fans are dissatisfied? Sounds to me like you’d rather be right than happy.
Santos, Johnston, Jones, Thomason, Morley, Sheehan, Dempsey, Charles...I could go on and list almost every player at the club. It's a very much incomplete list of the players Insane has said weren't good enough to play in League One for us.

Vic should be honoured to make the cut.

Is there a player left Insane hasn't written off at some point? :conf:

Is it just Toal and Bodvarsson? Or has he gone after those two as well?
There is a difference between ‘not very good at football’ and not good enough to play for us.

And a difference between one player clearly being a much better footballer than the other.

And I could go on. But good enough depends on context.
You've repeatedly said many of the team have poor mentality / are lazy / can't be arsed / no leaders etc etc.

You've described Vic as a liability - therefore not even "not good enough", but actually presumably so bad that he makes the sum of the parts less than if he wasn't playing?

As I asked earlier which you haven't addressed: if Vic playing makes us effectively a 10 man team (or less, if he's an actual liability), how did the lazy/leaderless/mentally fragile other 10 go on the run that we did and comfortably be the best team in the league for a couple of months?

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sun Dec 24, 2023 2:41 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Sun Dec 24, 2023 2:22 pm
I get that it takes two sides to make that type of game. It's a "that" problem, rather than an "us" problem (mind I don't think I said it was an "us" problem, just that possession based football can look pretty boring, because of the imbalance) :-)
No, I get you. Like I say, let's all hope we go up this season, get some more attacking/pacy lads into the side and get a few of those games you want to see.

Playing staff does matter. One of the reasons we are poor in transition is we've not got a lot of pace in attack to trouble sides on the counter. Every window brings hope of fixing that issue.

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Sun Dec 24, 2023 2:46 pm

What a header.

Oh and that other useless clump with the original clearance and quickest to the close down.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sun Dec 24, 2023 2:47 pm

DJBlu wrote:
Sun Dec 24, 2023 2:46 pm
What a header.

Oh and that other useless clump with the original clearance and quickest to the close down.
Pure luck.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Dec 24, 2023 2:51 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sun Dec 24, 2023 2:47 pm
DJBlu wrote:
What a header.

Pure luck.
No. The luck is that the original header a yard either side of Jerome and it’s a goal. We had no control over that and it was lucky it was straight at him.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Dec 24, 2023 2:54 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sun Dec 24, 2023 2:51 pm

No. The luck is that the original header a yard either side of Jerome and it’s a goal. We had no control over that and it was lucky it was straight at him.
Now there's a real Auntie Fanny/Uncle Tommy situation.. :grin:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Sun Dec 24, 2023 2:54 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
GhostoftheBok wrote:
DJBlu wrote:
What a header.

Pure luck.
:lol:

There's a fecking keeper one side and a post the other.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sun Dec 24, 2023 2:58 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
"We need bodies on the line defending!"
"NOT LIKE THAT!"

Just stop it :lol:

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sun Dec 24, 2023 2:59 pm

DJBlu wrote:
Sun Dec 24, 2023 2:54 pm
:lol:

There's a fecking keeper one side and a post the other.
Experienced pro luckily gets his defensive positioning spot on.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sun Dec 24, 2023 3:11 pm

Lot of a (lower league) Gary Cahill about Forrester.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

dave the minion
Reliable
Reliable

Post by dave the minion » Sun Dec 24, 2023 3:18 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
GhostoftheBok wrote:
DJBlu wrote:
What a header.

Pure luck.
Amazing. Utterly amazing.

Why wasn't it just ucky then that they successfully defended Vic's chance, meaning he did nothing wrong at all......

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sun Dec 24, 2023 3:29 pm

dave the minion wrote:
Sun Dec 24, 2023 3:18 pm
Amazing. Utterly amazing.

Why wasn't it just ucky then that they successfully defended Vic's chance, meaning he did nothing wrong at all......
Every save any goalkeeper has ever made is luck. What if the striker had hit it better?

Every block ever made...luck. Ball could have gone anywhere. Positioning is neither good nor bad until the ball is struck.

Whole game is a dice roll. Why even play? Do the coin flip at the start and the winner gets 3 points. Simple.

Schrodinger's bollocks.

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Sun Dec 24, 2023 3:35 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Sun Dec 24, 2023 3:11 pm
Lot of a (lower league) Gary Cahill about Forrester.

I think he could be a real find.

Mind you, I thought similar about Toal and he seems to be finding it a bit difficult currently.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sun Dec 24, 2023 3:47 pm

nicholaldo wrote:
Sun Dec 24, 2023 3:35 pm
I think he could be a real find.

Mind you, I thought similar about Toal and he seems to be finding it a bit difficult currently.
Think you're right about both. Has Toal reached 50 games in England yet? There's a hole in his game that he can work on.

I think Eoin and Will have a similar number of League One starts. Brilliant signings for the money, as things stand. Delighted with both of them. If they are committed to their careers they can both play a level up.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Dec 24, 2023 3:49 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sun Dec 24, 2023 2:58 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
"NOT LIKE THAT!"

The context is we were 3-0 up at home to Leyton bloody Orient and only won because they put a free header with half the goal gaping straight at Jerome. It was good play from Jerome no doubt but if you are ignoring that we got away with one then it’s head buried in sand time.

It’s not like we were playing a good team and we managed to shoot ourselves in the foot and it very very nearly was totally calamitous.

Thats the point I’m making. Yes we did some decent bodies in front of the ball stuff but again it’s Leyton Orient and we were three up.

We got lucky in the end - lucky that they didn’t take a chance. If you want to suggest that it was not lucky at all and all perfectly managed and controlled then we will disagree.

But the context is we weren’t playing Man City or Liverpool or Bayern Munich. But Leyton Orient. And tripped ourselves up. As is usually the case.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sun Dec 24, 2023 3:53 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sun Dec 24, 2023 3:49 pm
As is usually the case.
We're 3rd with a game in hand and a 62% win rate.

As is usually the case?

Honestly, what is going on, Insane? Are you alright?

truewhite15
Passionate
Passionate

Post by truewhite15 » Sun Dec 24, 2023 3:54 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sun Dec 24, 2023 3:49 pm
GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sun Dec 24, 2023 2:58 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
"NOT LIKE THAT!"

The context is we were 3-0 up at home to Leyton bloody Orient and only won because they put a free header with half the goal gaping straight at Jerome. It was good play from Jerome no doubt but if you are ignoring that we got away with one then it’s head buried in sand time.

It’s not like we were playing a good team and we managed to shoot ourselves in the foot and it very very nearly was totally calamitous.

Thats the point I’m making. Yes we did some decent bodies in front of the ball stuff but again it’s Leyton Orient and we were three up.

We got lucky in the end - lucky that they didn’t take a chance. If you want to suggest that it was not lucky at all and all perfectly managed and controlled then we will disagree.

But the context is we weren’t playing Man City or Liverpool or Bayern Munich. But Leyton Orient. And tripped ourselves up. As is usually the case.
So the old adage of "you can only beat what's in front of you" means nowt to you, predictably. You can only ever be judged against the best of the best of the best.

You're a joke.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Dec 24, 2023 4:09 pm

I am a bit lost on the not playing City, Liverpool or Bayern Munich, bit. Been a while since even City were in the third tier and we're hardly making the case we're competitors...

A decent bit of defending is just that. Doesn't matter who you're playing.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sun Dec 24, 2023 4:35 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Sun Dec 24, 2023 4:09 pm
I am a bit lost on the not playing City, Liverpool or Bayern Munich, bit. Been a while since even City were in the third tier and we're hardly making the case we're competitors...

A decent bit of defending is just that. Doesn't matter who you're playing.
The BWFC badge's magical properties should mean we are only ever troubled by European giants. We're not really a League One club on a League One budget, you see. It's all in the mind.